• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Have you guys ever heard of lights being on in an abandoned house, where you know there is no electricity?
My Signature

Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

"The wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched." --  me.

#2 Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

Only when it's been associated with a haunting.
My Signature

#3 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,036 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Could be people inside with flashlights or lanterns
My Signature
Posted Image

#4 Laurnabeth

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

There is a house about 5 minutes North of mine on the highway that has been abandoned for years and there was a fire so no electricity runs through the house at all. I drive by it sometimes at night and lights are on.
My Signature
Posted Image

#5 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thanks.

Vlawde, its an ollllld stone house on the road in a town called Hardy, AR. I drive past it about 3 times a week, and nearly every time I pass it, I can see what looks like a ceiling light on. Like a single regular bulb. But there's certainly no electricity, as the whole house is falling in. I'll try to get a picture next week. And it even happens during the day...so I'm not sure about the flashlights or lanterns.
My Signature

"The wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched." --  me.

#6 RoseIsRain

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Actually my boyfriend used to live in a neighborhood not far from one, he'd hear people talking about it all the time.  House had been long been abandoned and no one ever went in.
I think he saw it himself, too. He knew no one was in there, but it'd go on around the same time very night.

Edited by RoseIsRain, 21 January 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#7 KISSfan

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

For security reasons,some owners will have a light source,perhaps run on a timer and a small generator,in an abandonment kept on to deter trespassers or thieves. Once that's ruled out,it's hard to say.
My Signature
~She Walks By Moonlight...~

http://forgottenontario.webs.com/

#8 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

Didn't even think of that. We used to use a timer to keep light trials constant in the rat lab.  And my dad leaves a light on in his shop because of dirty stinking rotten thieves.  So, I guess its a possibility, but I mean this place is REALLY falling in.  I can't see them wanting to protect it. Its kind of in the kind of condition that one would not want to go inside for fear that the floor would give way or the ceiling would cave in on you.

BUT...thanks for the tip. I'll definately look for that!  I am lucky in that this place is right on the highway, and we have a jillion tourists, so the locals don't really think anything of someone standing in your yard and taking pictures!
My Signature

#9 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

No but one time we had an odd experience where an old megaphone in a small abandoned psych hospital seemed to have turned on and caught some reverb when there was no electricity runnin in the place for years. Happened as soon as the EMF guage spiked.
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#10 KISSfan

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

No problem,Dami! I have explored and photographed (badly) many abandoned houses,so that's something we've learned to watch for. One home looked completely abandoned in the front,with boards and broken windows,but when we went around back we saw a bypassed hydro meter,the smell of 'skunk' and a sliver of really bright light underneath one of the boarded windows. Needless to say,we hightailed it out of there!

Edited to add~ I love your signature picture,gives me the creeps looking at it!

Edited by KISSfan, 22 January 2008 - 07:40 AM.

My Signature

#11 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

Thanks!  That's my family's sanitorium. My great grandfather Alexander Matchette ran it in the last 1800's around the Dorothea Dix days of "human psychiatry." It is still in Bourbon, IN. and the family is trying to raise money to have it refurbished.
My Signature

#12 Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

Dami, if you don't mind could you tell me exactly where that house is?  PM me if you'd like for privacy sake.  I live not too far from that area, and I'd love to go by there myself sometime just to see what you're talking about.  I'm not an expert ghosthunter or anything, but I am very curious!

My Signature

Posted Image

#13 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

Not a privacy issue at all.  I'm not giving my actual address!  If you travel south on Hwy. 63 North, you'll go straight through downtown Hardy.  Go past the Old Hardy Gym right through town. At the edge of town, you'll pass the small cemetary and the larger gas station and on the other side of the road you'll see the row of old stone houses. As you're leaving the town, its on the left. Some are well maintained, but this particular one is about to fall in. Its noticeable, you can't miss it. If you get to the home with the large stone fence, you've gone too far.

Edited by Dami, 22 January 2008 - 06:40 PM.

My Signature

#14 Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Thanks!  I don't get up there very often but next time I do I'll make it a point to watch out for it.

My Signature

Posted Image

#15 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Tell you what. I'll go by there today on my way to work out, and I'll snap a pic or two so you can pick it out better.
My Signature

#16 KISSfan

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Wow,that's amazing! I read the heading you have on it,but how very awesome to have a piece of your family's history such as that,lucky you!
My Signature

#17 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

Gizmo, I took some quick pix today from the roads, so I apologize for the quality...but here's the house.  You can see why its so confusing to me why I keep seeing lights in this house at night.

Oh, and just to be clear, since its pretty much hollowed out (you'll see in the pix) there are no houses behind it that could be casting a light through the house creating an illusion.

Edited by Dami, 23 January 2008 - 06:57 PM.

My Signature

#18 KISSfan

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

Oh,wow! Okay then,I have to agree that it's unlikely to be security lighting,what with it basically being a shell that hasn't been boarded or anything. Neat looking place though,I wonder about the history behind it.

It is a yellowy light you see or perhaps moonlight reflecting off something inside?
My Signature

#19 Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Kind of yellowish. It just looks like a single light bulb, like a plain white bulb in the center of the main room without a cover or anything.
My Signature

#20 Guest_ellsbeth_*

• Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I'd much rather know how you posted them---can't get anything to load from here.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com