• You cannot reply to this topic
554 replies to this topic

#61 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

So now that the bread is done I'm making patty melt loaf for supper.

1 lb ground beef
3 onions,  diced (I also throw in shallots if I have them around)
American cheese (enough to stick everything together)
The end of the bag of whatever shredded cheese you have around...  usually pepper jack,  Mexican blend or sharp cheddar
1 loaf French bread or frozen garlic bread
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the meat and onions,  season,  throw in the American cheese and some of the shredded cheese,  when that's melted together,  spread the meat mixture on the bread,  cut lengthwise,  sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese and put in a 350 oven until hot and browned (about half an hour for the frozen loaf, twenty minutes or so for not frozen bread).

It tastes just like the patty melts you used to get in the woolworths diner in the 70s so you know it's terrible for you.
My Signature
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#62 moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

lol We order out. Rarely do we ever eat at home. Both of us loath cooking and cleaning up after.

But one of my favorite recipes for you. This is one of our favorite dishes but I've developed lactose intolerance so we rarely eat it anymore. I can easily eat at LEAST two heaping plates of this while I can't for anything else.

Voodoo Pasta
You will need (keep in mind the amount will change depending on the size of the family. The following feeds two with some left over)
- cajun spice (our favorite is Tony Chacherie's herb)
- 12 ounce box mini rotini noodles
- 1 can of 4 cheese Alfredo
- 3/4 container of Parmesan cheese
- Smoked sausage (if you can get Manda, it's the best. You'll need about one and a half links)

1. Set the noodles to boil in their own container. I've found they cook so much better this way, otherwise it might end up kind of gummy.
2. Cut the sausage into medallions and then further into quarters and brown it on low in a frying pan. I highly recommend wiping as much oil as you can off the pan, the spatula and the sausage with paper towel when you've browned it or you will have way too much oil that you don't need and it may make your stomach hurt if you don't.
3. Sprinkle the cajun spice on the sausage. Not too much, trust me but do it to your taste. If you have manda, it's already slightly spiced.
4. Drain the noodles as soon as they are done and likely while the sausage is still browning.
5. When the sausage is ready, turn the heat down to simmer, and put the sausage back on after wiping it off. Pour in the Alfredo sauce, and add about a half a container of Parmesan cheese. Stir completely while the cheese melts.
6. Grab the cooked pasta and add it to the sausage/sauce/cheese mix. Stir and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Pull it off and let it cool a bit on a rack making sure to stir it every 30 seconds or so. It will eventually thicken.
When it thickens, serve. We love to serve it with texas cheese toast.

Delicious meal.

#63 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

Those sound great.

Cheese and Onion Pie
Short crust pastry*
2 large onions, chopped fairly finely
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and patted dry
4 oz grated Gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons milk
Black pepper, to taste

Divide pastry in two, roll out and line 8 inch plate with one half.
Chop onions and fry gently until slightly browned (you can boil for 5 minutes if you prefer, then drain)
Put onion onto pastry base, then layer with tomatoes. Top with grated cheese, then sprinkle over the milk and a dash of pepper.
Cover with the other round of pastry, press edges together and decorate, if desired and brush with milk.
Bake in fairly hot oven (400°F or gas mark 5-6) for approx 30 minutes. Check after 25 minutes.

*Short Crust
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 stick butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. shortening
1/8 cup Ice water

Put flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter, and shortening into the flour. Process a few seconds until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Drop by drop add the water, processing briefly. The whole process should take about 20 to 30 seconds. Wrap and chill for an hour. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand 15 minutes before rolling. ~You can double this for any recipe, which calls for a top and bottom crust.

Vegetable Bean Soup
3 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup + 2 teaspoons cup onion, diced
3 clove garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3/4 cup summer squash, thinly sliced
3/4 cup zucchini squash, thinly sliced
3 cups no-sodium vegetable broth
3/4 cup canned Italian tomatoes (reserve liquid)
15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and, rinsed
15 oz small white beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 tsp basil leaves
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh spinach, 1 box frozen or 1 can of spinach, drained

In 2-quart saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot; sauté until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add summer and zucchini squashes and cook, stirring constantly, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, beans and broth; add the seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the spinach; let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#64 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Pasta salad summer continued today with one I can't eat.   I recently started reacting to canned tuna (I'm allergic to shellfish and froot loops) and the menfolk wanted tuna salad.

Half a box (or so)  of small pasta rings (8-ish ounces)
1 to 2 small cans tuna of your choice
1 c mayonnaise
2 tbsp brown mustard
1 c frozen peas
2 tbsp dill pickle relish (or a chopped up pickle)
1 very small (the size of a golf ball)  onion,  finely minced or a handful of onion flakes
Sliced green olives with pimento
pepper to taste
1 rib celery,  diced,  if you like it

Mix all ingredients except the pasta,  put aside (like in the refrigerator).   Cook pasta according to package,  rinse until cool under cold water.   Stir together.   Use a large enough bowl you're not throwing pasta rings all over the kitchen.

I had a roast beef sandwich from the deli at the grocery store.
My Signature
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#65 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 15 July 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

Pasta salad summer continued today with one I can't eat.   I recently started reacting to canned tuna (I'm allergic to shellfish and froot loops) and the menfolk wanted tuna salad...

You should have made it first without the tuna, scoop some out for yourself, then add the tuna to the rest..That way you could've had some pasta salad as side dish with your sandwich.

We had store bought tonight. Creamed spinach and kale, with Texas Toast and snack-sized Twix bars..

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 16 July 2016 - 09:53 PM.

My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#66 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

I thought of that after I mixed it up.

I bought some rotisserie chicken last night and will make a chicken one tomorrow but I forgot to get little rings and the only pasta I have is huge right now.

Today I'm making stromboli.   I didn't feel like getting all the meat so I just got pepperoni (normally I make it with pepperoni,  ham and salami).   Then I'm adding bell peppers (three colors),  sliced onion,  sliced mushrooms,  artichoke hearts and zucchini.   I should have grabbed some spinach,  too,  but I didn't think of it.   I'm gluing it together with provolone and muenster.

You sautee all the vegetables to reduce moisture and layer everything in a loaf of bread dough rolled out as thin as you can get it (I make my own but the guy who I got the recipe from uses frozen).   Fold the sides over like a double breastfed suit,  flip it so the double layer is on bottom and bake it at 350 for about an hour.
My Signature

#67 Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

I love to eat Gammon Steaks. Every time we eat out I go with a Gammon Steak. There is also a local "All you can eat" type Chinese restaurant, where I absolutely love Singapore Chow Mein, Sweet and sour Chicken and Egg fried rice.

I love to make Cheesecakes of various types and if possible eat it all myself. Favourite cheesecake is vanilla and strawberry
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#68 MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

You guys need your own cooking show!!! I have tried many times but do not have the culinary talent that you  do - as I read each one it makes my mouth water and my jaw hurt in a great way.  Keep posting people - it's delicious!!!!!

#69 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

I am like the opposite of a fancy cook.  As I was cutting the peppers I was actually telling my husband I should have invited my bff over for supper tonight because she makes an effort to cut things uniformly (and is very good at it) while I just get it done as quickly as possible and who cares if every slice is exactly a quarter inch wide or not.

I am like the opposite of a fancy cook.  As I was cutting the peppers I was actually telling my husband I should have invited my bff over for supper tonight because she makes an effort to cut things uniformly (and is very good at it) while I just get it done as quickly as possible and who cares if every slice is exactly a quarter inch wide or not.
My Signature

#70 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

If you have Ramen noodles and you just don't want to eat them as a soup, you can make great salads with them. If you like these recipes, I can post more of them.

Mediterranean Chickpea - Ramen Salad
2 (3 ounces each) packages ramen noodles, broken into small pieces (discard seasoning packets)
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup feta cheeses, crumbled
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2 English cucumber, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped

Cook noodles according to the package directions; rinse and drain well
Whisk lemon juice, oil salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, feta cheese, onion, cucumber, parsley and noodles; toss to combine. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Greek Noodle Salad
2 (3 ounces each) packages ramen noodles, broken into small pieces (discard seasoning packets)
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano freeze-dried(preferred) or just dried
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup feta cheeses, crumbled
1/2 English cucumber, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped

Cook noodles according to the package directions; rinse and drain well
Whisk lemon juice, oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, mint and noodles; toss to combine. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Tuna Ramen Noodle Salad
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
2 teaspoon peanut butter(if you have nut allergies, substitute with toasted sunflower seed butter)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (3 ounce) package Oriental flavored ramen noodle soup mix
1 (5 ounce) can tuna(albacore or chunk light), flaked
1/2 cup English cucumber, julienned
1/2 cup bell pepper(your choice of color), julienned
1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced (you can buy presliced ones)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Dressing: In a small shaker jar combine vinegar, oil,peanut/sunflower butter and crushed red pepper. Cover and shake until well blended; set aside.
To cook the ramen noodles; pour 2 cups of water to a small saucepan. Stir in the seasoning package; stir until it's dissolved. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Remove the noodles, rinse with cold water and drain. You can reserve the broth, if you wish to use it as broth for another recipe. In a medium bowl toss noodles with tuna, cucumber, bell pepper  and water chestnuts. Shake dressing again, until well blended; drizzle it over noodle mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 19 July 2016 - 02:41 PM.

My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#71 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

I made tomato sauce last night from a giant impulse buy at Costco the other day.   We're using it for pizza today.

The giant bin of "Italian prunes"  were turned into plum crumble that lasted about five seconds.

The tomato sauce was very simple.   Tomatoes (lots of heirloom and a couple San marzano),  salt,  pepper,  a head of garlic cloves,  a diced onion,  a bay leaf,  half a baby bottle of red wine (half a cup or so) and some oregano,  cooked down and whizzed in the blender because I didn't seed the tomatoes.

The plum crumble was plums,  halved, with about a quarter cup of sugar sprinkled over them,  then  a cup and a half or so of flour,  a stick of butter melted,  2/3 c of sugar with cinnamon mixed up and spread over the top.   Bake at 350 about an hour.
My Signature

#72 kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

I made "Lambs fry" for my daughter and me, haven't had it for years.

Posted Image
My Signature
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#73 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

Isn't lambs fry brains and tripe?   Yours doesn't look like that but I don't know if I could bring myself to eat that kind of offal no matter how delicious I hear it is.
My Signature

#74 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Tantric KittenGStudy, That sounds great.

Kevinscan, that looks yummy.

We had Mock Colcannon Soup for dinner. I made it using some left over potatoes, carrots and cabbage from the corned beef dinner, we had yesterday. Instead of cream, which is in a traditional Colcannon Soup, I added finely grated Parmigiano and Romano reggiano cheeses.

Mock Colcannon Soup
2 ounces real bacon bits

2 tablespoons freeze-dried snipped chives
1/8 cup freeze-dried green onions, suggest Lighthouse brand
1/2 pound Red Bliss potatoes, cooked and diced, suggest Lighthouse brand

1/2 lb carrots, sliced and cooked
1/2 cabbage, cooked and sliced
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock, suggest 'Better-than Bullion'
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, suggest 'Better-than Bullion'

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated

1/2 cup Romano Reggiano, grated

1. Put the bacon in a pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon renders its fat.

2. Lower the heat to medium. Add the stock, bring to a boil, about 6 minutes. Add the chives, green onion, potato, carrots and cabbage and cook, covered, simmer, stirring occasionally for 12 minutes. Season with black pepper, to taste. Remove from the heat and finish by whisking the butter cubes into the soup. Sprinkle the Parmigiano and Romano cheeses over individually proportioned soup.

To reheat soup, bring to a simmer. Do not boil or the potatoes might disintegrate.

My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#75 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

Yeah,  I didn't word that well.   More for everyone else.   I won't sit there and tell anyone how disgusting something is.   Brains and tripe and kidneys are just over my personal line. I do,  occasionally,  eat liverwurst if I can keep from thinking about it too hard.
My Signature

#76 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 19 August 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

Isn't lambs fry brains and tripe?   Yours doesn't look like that but I don't know if I could bring myself to eat that kind of offal no matter how delicious I hear it is.

OMG, when I saw you write offal, it got me thinking of a movie starring Chevy Chase, it's called 'Funny Farm'. Brains and tripe sound more appetizing to me, than the lamb-fries Chevy's character ate in the movie. :lol:
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#77 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

Isn't that the lamb Rocky mountain oysters one? I know I saw the movie but don't remember the specific scene.   Those are not an OK texture for me (which is,  actually,  99% of my problem with all offal).
My Signature

#78 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

Yes, it's that movie. They were eating at Ivy's restaurant and the menu board called them, Lamb-Fries. He thought it meant, ground lamb meatballs. :lol:.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#79 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

I'm being bad tonight, no veggies. All I'm having is BBQ chicken, potato roll, hot tea and M&M/Reese Pieces mix for supper.
My Signature

Posted Image

My Shop

#80 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I'm not hungry tonight.   I made the menfolk PF Chang's Mongolian beef and rice.

Yesterday I just fried hamburger,  potatoes and green beans and called it food.

But the day before that I made Kala Chana.   It was soooo delicious.   I finally got to the Indian market and they had desi chickpeas (they're not husked so it's sort of like eating chickpeas in little bark jackets...  they're super good for you) and it's the first thing I made from the haul.

http://www.vegrecipe...a-curry-recipe/
My Signature

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com