• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Good stories, art/design, outdoors

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

I thought I would share this article because of the weirdness I guess. Maybe it is just a man wandering around, but also its could be something more paranormal. What do you think about it though?

Attached Files

#2 Dazzled Dad

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Strange...I googled Harold King, (the Times staff writer), Christopher Thompson (avid trekker) and William Richards (Yosemite park ranger).
No results at all...

#3 lorac61469

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

What news paper is this from?  I did a search on the "article" title and noticed you posted this on another message board.

Kinda has the feel of a story/urban legend.

#4 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi Littlesquirrel, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting! Cool article :)

I haven't done any research on it yet, but there is a good chance it may be a urban legend. There are many urban legends that are set in large, remote areas and this may be o ne of them as it has some of their typical characteristics:

http://paranormal.lo...d_Urban_Legends

Having said that though, some urban legends may have elements of truth :)  Either way, urban legend or not, I loved reading your post!

#5 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forums, littlesquirrel.
I look forward to hearing more from you!

#6 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:26 AM

I'm not sure which newpaper it was from because I found this on facebook. Maybe it was from a local newpaper, but was searching for a friend on facbook and found it.

https://scontent-ams...177734858_o.jpg

It does sound urband legendish, but I do know that there has been plague in Yosemite because I was reading about it a couple of months ago http://well.blogs.ny...-the-rise/?_r=0

I think that's true what Vave82 said. about elements of truth to it.

#7 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,036 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

I'm wondering if someone just made the article and posted it on fb.
My Signature
Posted Image

#8 Kaida

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Very interesting.  I lived and worked in Yosemite Valley for 11 years.  Never heard of this man.  That is not to say that he doesn’t exist, or that this encounter never happened; but, exactly where in the park did it happen.  As I was reading I kept hoping the campground name or location would be mentioned.   There are several campgrounds in the Valley, with the Valley being 7 miles long.  The camper claimed he had a 20k radius around his tent, which converts to more than 12 miles.  He couldn’t have been camping in the Valley.  That leaves the high country which is extremely remote.  I loved hiked up there, I wouldn’t see a soul for miles, it was peaceful, ethereally gorgeous, and spiritual.  I wouldn’t doubt for a minute that someone would encounter a spirit in the park, especially in the high country.  Yosemite is a very spiritual place.  It would be unnerving, though.  A stranger appears at your campsite or on a hiking trail and you’re out in the middle of nowhere - that would scare me more than a 4-legged intruder!

Edited by Kaida, 18 November 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#9 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

Wow Kaida, very lucky to have worked in such an amazing place! When I will visit the states, Yosemite is definitely in my list of 'to see' places :)

Have you ever had any odd encounters there yourself?

#10 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi Kaida,

Honestly, that's is all I have found on the this story so I don't know exactly where. Yosemite is a very spiritual place as the Native Americans once lived on those lands so I'm not surprised if there are legends about it. :)

#11 Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Very interesting! It sounds similar to the "Resurrection Mary" legend or the Lady of White Rock Lake story.

#12 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Resurrection Mary? I must look that up. It sounds intersting! Did you see this other report?

#13 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,036 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

I mean no offense, but am having trouble loading the link. When i finally did, turns out not to be the real NY Times website. Across the bottom it says "clone zone"  A tool for building fake websites.  So I suspect the original Yosemite post/story was faked too

​Clone Zone, a new tool that makes it easy to edit any web page on the internet. Pick your canvas of choice—it’s as simple as entering a URL. Clone Zone immediately creates an editable copy. Upload your own images, drop in your own text, and share. With Clone Zone, anyone can treat themselves to a New York Times byline or the announcement of a lucrative round of funding on TechCrunch. With this tool, the whole internet is instantly and totally customizable.
My Signature
Posted Image

#14 Kaida

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hi vave82Gstudy,

I was so fortunate to have lived there, and lived the kind of life that I did.  I can literally say that I lived a life that most of the people in the world will never experience.  Yes, you must visit Yosemite when you’re in the States, if at all possible!  The entire state of California has so much to see and do that you could spend your whole vacation there.
No, I never had any odd experiences, but I wish I had!

Edited by Kaida, 11 December 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#15 Kaida

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Hi littlesquirrel ~

No worries, I’m glad you found and posted it!  I’ve no doubt things like this happen in Yosemite.  The Miwok was one of the tribes to inhabit the Valley and many members still live there, and in the surrounding towns.  Their culture, beliefs, and legends still influence and spiritually guide Yosemite.

#16 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,036 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

Kaida, keep in mind squirrel's links are to a fake website where any story can be created and look legit.
My Signature
Posted Image

#17 Kaida

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

I just read the NYT article and it fooled me until I read your post about it, Vlawde!  I will ask my friends who still live in the park about this legend.

#18 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

Hi Guys, Yeh it fooled me aswell. It's only when you pointed it out that I saw it, but it seemed pretty real. I still think the story is interesting and would like to know more and see where the story would develops. It's always possible that it's been over exaggerate somewhere along the lines. Do any know chinese whispers?

I used to play it as a kid and you start with one story and end up with something really crazy at the when you get to the last person. Was great fun :)

Edited by littlesquirrel, 12 December 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#19 MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Chinese whispers huh? If so, can it be played on a thread posting forum such as this? How would one go about that?

#20 littlesquirrel

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hey Michelle G,

Well most certainly it would play out differently on a thread since we're not talking to each other physically, but I suppose take the current story and repost it adding a few new things to it...your own twist I suppose?

Would you have any ideas for it? :)

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com