17 replies to this topic

#1 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

For any of you that have followed ParanormalSoup a good length of time, I’m sure you’ve seen some of my rather broken record preaching in the importance of understanding how your equipment works in aiding proper analysis whether it be with audio, video digital stills & metering along with any other superfluous ghost gadgets.

This thread I’ve created (which I seldom author) has been inspired by the recent postings of the orb pictures asking for analysis and whether they might possess paranormal origins. My picture below that I took has not been manipulated other than cropped.

The example is meant as an exercise two fold. Identifying the origin of the anomaly and why it seems to be moving in an upward direction. I expect those willing to engage in this visual puzzle to cheat and look it up on the net but make an honest attempt through deduction first. If you know the answer do not submit it. It's meant to help those to understand.

I’m posting this hoping for you to look outside of the box and challenge yourself. Sometimes our equipment seems to do unusual tasks that can’t be readily explained. This is why sometimes the cranky old man known as EVP seems to be less than gregarious in his thread replies.

Hope you enjoy this little teaser.

PS – Snowlord, please don’t reply until the end, I respect your photographic abilities and don’t want you to help them. Yes….I’m mean but purposeful :)

Attached Files

Edited by EVP, 19 May 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have received these types of orbs hundreds of times in my in-box at GhostStudy.com. They always appear to be speeding upwards. And there's always one common factor involved that give them that appearance. And I'll leave it at that.  :whistling:
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,358 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:08 PM

Yup. Discovered this during one of my first investigation/ghost tour. Graveyard, bad weather....
Posted Image

#4 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

That's bright.   Flash at close range,  is there any enhancement like darkening the photo?

Obviously,  because I've commented on similar photos I have a good idea of what it is (although they're really bright compared to what I'm used to seeing with this particular thing)  and know why it appears to move upward (hint: it is moving but not up).

I'm a True Orb Believer tm and have my own broken record going of "it's something on or in front of the camera unless you saw it with your own eyeballs and there is no other possible explanation."

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostTantric Kitten, on 20 May 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

That's bright.   Flash at close range,  is there any enhancement like darkening the photo?

Obviously,  because I've commented on similar photos I have a good idea of what it is (although they're really bright compared to what I'm used to seeing with this particular thing)  and know why it appears to move upward (hint: it is moving but not up).

I'm a True Orb Believer tm and have my own broken record going of "it's something on or in front of the camera unless you saw it with your own eyeballs and there is no other possible explanation."

Yes TK there has been a little post in photoshop but it's basic auto tone and auto color but then again there is ALWAYS some type of enhancement in a photo. JPG's that are saved to cards in camera have basic clarity, contrast, saturation and sharpness applied.

I'm going to wait a few more days and see if this thread sails and if not, I'll post my final response on how and why this image is what it is.

Edited by EVP, 20 May 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#6 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

This is a fascinating topic. Thanks for teaching us, EVP!

I'll start a topic this weekend and share a few experiences that I have had with true orbs. And I know a place you can see them with your eyes!
Posted Image

#7 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 20 May 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Exactly, Tantric.... they aren't really moving up. that part of it is a fascinating illusion.  ;)

I'll start a new thread this weekend and share a few experiences that I have had with true orbs. And I know a place you can see them with your eyes!

Ahh....someone is definitely thinking but I was hoping Jim wouldn't let it out of the bag as of yet ;)

Edited by EVP, 20 May 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#8 Louczar

Louczar

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

As I have never seen a real orb (that I know of) or always assumed they were dust particles floating around and caught in picture, I will eagerly await the answer.  I'm not a photo junkie so I cant pretend to know about it from that angle either.
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#9 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Oops, sorry EVP, I was just agreeing with someone else. I'll remove that part of my post right away.  ;)
Posted Image

#10 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 20 May 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

This is a fascinating topic. Thanks for teaching us, EVP!

I'll start a topic this weekend and share a few experiences that I have had with true orbs. And I know a place you can see them with your eyes!

Thanks Jim, I don't know if it's wise revealing the location....it might force me to book a flight :)

#11 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostEVP, on 20 May 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

Thanks Jim, I don't know if it's wise revealing the location....it might force me to book a flight :)

Well, if that's the case, it might be worth revealing the location... well at least letting you know.  ;)
Posted Image

#12 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

So should we say what it is/the reason for it, or wait for the reveal from EVP?

BTW JIm, your sig shows up as a broken link. The link take me to the Ghoststudy website, but I think it's this you are going for?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, I need to fix that soon... thanks Vlawde.
Posted Image

#14 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 20 May 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

So should we say what it is/the reason for it, or wait for the reveal from EVP?

I'd appreciate if you just didn't answer if you know the answer Vlawde. Your welcome to make further comments. This exercise is meant to explore, ponder and research for those who do not know.

#15 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

Gotcha
Posted Image

#16 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 20 May 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

BTW JIm, your sig shows up as a broken link. The link take me to the Ghoststudy website, but I think it's this you are going for?

Thanks Vlawde...It seems to be working for the moment. And the link under the Ghoststudy Logo takes you to the YouTube Channel.
Posted Image

#17 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hello all, thank you for being patient. I left this thread alone waiting for a sufficent time to pass for everyone's examination.

This natural phenomena in camera terms is called "Front Curtain Sync".

This explanation from http://photography.tutsplus.com offers the easiest to understand and more thorough than myself.

When you take this picture your camera is completing a lot of tiny processes in a very short time. Here are those steps:

First the shutter opens and starts exposing the ambient light. At the same time, the flash fires, illuminating and properly exposing the subject. A flash will fire for an extremely short amount of time, freezing the position of the subject like a strobe light does. After the flash fires, the shutter remains open and subjects move out. The ambient light keeps coming in, even through the areas where the subjects used to be. The shutter then closes.

Why is this important as the title asks? Quite simply, by know the limitiations and understanding how a camera/equipment works, it allows us to effectively analyze a picture and accurately without attaching paranormal endings to natural phenomena. Prime examples of this is with the majority of orbs that are said to be paranormal when lens flare, dust, polin, dander etc is closer to the fact. There are exceptions to all. Scientists also insist that that illuminated orbs (without flash) can be a product of swamp gas or a form of ball lightning. Regardless it could be classified as paranormal as many feel the paranormal is essentially outside the normal.

Edited by EVP, 24 May 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#18 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Great link EVP, thanks.  When I was relatively new to investigating, we were on a "ghost tour" and it was misting when we were in a little hidden graveyard up in the foothills. My flash illuminated some moisture droplets and gave the appearance of them moving upwards
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users