#21 Dazzled Dad

Dazzled Dad

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 02 January 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

The guy probably opened and closed his eyes during a long exposure, and the kid moved his hand

That means there's nothing postmortem about this photo.

#22 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:36 AM

So, Jim, you made a great breakthrough! Lizzie Borden had an accomplice! :confused0068:

God Bless
Graves
Who you gonna call?

#23 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 03 January 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

Speaking of a odd "post mortem photography"..!

Posted Image

Holy decapitation, Batman!
Posted Image

#24 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Haha I forget the details, but saw that elsewhere a while back. It was a planned joke, no one actually got decapitated!
Posted Image

#25 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

View Postkevinscan, on 01 January 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

Was this the photo spukikitty?
Posted Image

THAT'S IT! EMAGHERD! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! AAAAAAAAGUUUUUUUGGHHHHVDFKJFDDFGJKL............

Anyway; What was it with past-people and their high tolerance of uncanny-valley-anything?

I'm not just talking creepy-family photos (with or without posed dead bodies) but anything?

I mean, LOOK!.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
.....Did ANYBODY back then think this was a leeeeetle bit...."off"?

Things meant to be wholesome, adorable, sweet, benign, kid-friendly, etc. should not be shoddily designed by devils from the 9th Circle of Inferno, I'm sorry! It's like they just didn't care and the kids actually seem fine with it (the baby in that last photo is so happy and utterly ADORABLE despite being held by SATAN Claus)! What was it with people in the old days....being all-incapable of perceiving "uncanny-valley" or "nightmare-fuel"? Was it two World Wars? Polio? I guess after encountering the usual bad stuff back then, a deformed Mickey Mouse would be nothing!

Edited by SpukiKitty, 03 January 2016 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

#26 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Pooky

Pooky

Beware of Pooky

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:I like to go human haunting and that's all you need to know.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 31 December 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have to say that this one is creepy.

Posted Image

Hey, that's my dad in the background!
Okay, it's true already, now leave me alone

#28 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 02 January 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I could never figure out if it's the child or the man that is dead in that photo.
LOL Jim!!!! Me either - I just didn't say anything because I thought I was the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whew!

Personally I believe all clowns and creepy ventriloquists dummies should be outlawed!

#29 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

Shiver! Meow!
Who you gonna call?

#30 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

LOL Graves!!

#31 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Concerning my questions about past-people being okay with creepy to the point of not noticing; Does anybody have theories on WHY this was so? I was implying that question. Sorry if I didn't spell out that it wasn't rhetorical.
Posted Image

#32 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

It wasn't considered creepy back then. masks etc were different. People had to hold a pose for longer. And, old photos just have that odd look, whether it was the film or exposure time, things like the odd way eyes photographed are part of it as well.
Posted Image

#33 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

And pictures with dead members of the family was considered normal. My father-in-law has a picture of him as a boy with his brother, his sisters, and their dead little sister. My sister has a picture beside the coffin of my older brother who died at two years old. Personally, it's not the memory of the person that I would want to have...

God Bless
Graves
Who you gonna call?

#34 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 04 January 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

It wasn't considered creepy back then. masks etc were different. People had to hold a pose for longer. And, old photos just have that odd look, whether it was the film or exposure time, things like the odd way eyes photographed are part of it as well.

Yeah, I guess folks have different perceptions.

I do understand about the "Memento Mori" stuff. That was the only photo of that person they could afford (photography was new and expensive back then).
Posted Image

#35 Lord_tea

Lord_tea

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:To be honest I prefer coffee.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:09 AM

Wow this taps in to a dreadful old childhood/teenaged fear of mine that I have since overcome. I first saw some Victorian post-mortem photography when I was maybe 13-14 and it scarred me for many, many years. I couldn't even look at a photo taken before the 30's-40's because of the way early photography was composed... and often the subject matter yeuuuch I used to constantly check my room for the ghosts of the dead folk I'd seen in the pictures.

Nowadays I adore old photography and even though it's creepy and shocking by today's standards I don't even mind a bit of post mortem photography (and have in fact studied some archives of them), it must have been very difficult to live in a time where loved ones could slip away so easily and did so often, I can see why they would hold on to images, however macabre it may seem. I've also learned from studying archives of post mortem photos just how to spot a posed corpse, they certainly tried to make people seem more alive but the 'dead' give-aways are usually the slightly sunken features and of course the dreadful, crisp focus of a person who didn't so much as twitch a muscle during the long exposure (being dead n' all)

"Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way" - Charles Bukowski

#36 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

Post Mortem photography definitely was a thing, but there are many photos being put forth (and sold) as post mortem that aren't. Aside from the creepy eye look in many old photos, because of the long exposure time a lot of standing photos have a stand to hold the subject still while tghe photo was taken. Here is a link to some normal, non post mortem photos  http://dealer042.wix...dentified/c16kc
Posted Image

#37 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 05 January 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Post Mortem photography definitely was a thing, but there are many photos being put forth (and sold) as post mortem that aren't. Aside from the creepy eye look in many old photos, because of the long exposure time a lot of standing photos have a stand to hold the subject still while tghe photo was taken. Here is a link to some normal, non post mortem photos  http://dealer042.wix...dentified/c16kc

So, according to that site, there were never any post-mortem portraits of STANDING corpses.

That means the elderly woman in that above super-creepy portrait (with scary Grandpa Frankenstein) wasn't dead, just ugly.

And also....
Posted Image
....that means that THIS standing girl in this above photo was also alive (it's been really making the rounds) at the time.

Edited by SpukiKitty, 06 January 2016 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#38 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

I wish I had a stand when I wait in lines!
Posted Image

#39 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

I remember my mother's side of the family always taking a picture of the deceased person in their casket & 'sitting up with the dead' all night long. I only experienced that once but it was plenty. We grew up on a tobacco & hog farm. Yep I said it.  My mother's sister, my Aunt Edna is very superstitious - more so than the rest of the family. God bless both of them - I love them but they are both still a little strange.  My brother & I came along late in our parents lives so we were exposed to the way things were done back then.  When my mother & aunt's older brother died we sat up that night (my one & only experience) with him. It was horrible & scary - it just felt bad. My little brother & I stayed together across the room behind our mother hiding.  The deceased bother was propped & laying on the front room couch - people would walk over & say 'Looks just like he is sleeping'......What? No. Nothing is ok with any of this - Absolutely awful anyway.... The next morning they were getting ready for the funeral when my brother & I started exploring the house. Now it's daylight, less scary quite a few people almost in every room. We could see out of the kitchen screen door the grave being dug in the back yard almost. It was so close to where the chickens lived,  I wondered where would they play now? I was 7 or 8 & yes the chickens played out there. Typical older farm house only with the most mirrors I have ever seen in one place. I remember thinking they were big gold treasures (we didn't have anything growing up) so my brother & I had to just look at one of them.... then we touched one - but they were all covered with large sheets & you couldn't see them hardly at all. So we uncovered them, all of them. It went downhill from there. My Aunt had a 'conniption' - that's what they called it. A worse than terrible scene was playing out in front of us & we had to leave speedy quick. Now it makes me laugh until I cry every time I think of it.  I don't know how many years my brother & I carried around the horrible secret that were 100% responsible for a dead man's soul restlessly wandering around for all eternity because we uncovered the mirrors. It did feel better years later when we figured 'hey maybe we weren't'. I said maybe because our Aunt still to this day announces always during dinner at Thanksgiving, Christmas, any & every family gathering that we still are completely responsible. I don't know why I wrote that but yes, it still makes me laugh out loud.

Spuki! I love it! lololol

#40 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

haha you had me at "hog farm" :D
Posted Image