Glass Baking Pan Explodes....in My Face, No Cuts.how?

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 aisLinnZ

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Playing Celtic harp, sketching, reading bks of people in a mystical perspective(Abe Lincoln,Hildegard of Bingen,William B. Yeats,Nostrodomus-regular folks , living their beliefs), enjoy forests~

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

Simply baking some chicken-as i have done 1000 times, upon taking the glass square shaped pan out, and sat on a normal tempurature spot to cool - it burst or exploded ALL over the kitchen. i had potholder and a dish towel in hand and obviousely must have covered my face quick enough-I was about 12 inches from it.

...but with much glass shattered all over counters, stove, kitchen and dining rm floor-yah, I covered my face, but how did my arms, neck, hands not get even a splinter of glass? weird. It was an old thick glass square baking pan - maybe it blew because it is 10+ yrs old. But I didnt put it on a cold surface(like temp change caused it)..just my normal routine. Oddly, no glass touched any other food I'd made.

Well Iam glad it didnt happen on Thanksgiving; it was a handy size. Yesterday was weird anyway...,a client suddenly passed away-which shocked us and our community. He owned several auto body shops here & Bay area(SF), but we created his website for his foundation for helping those needing rehab,housing,food..

....he had his own rough young yrs, and in his later yrs wanted to help people, as he once needed himself. My husband joked(with respect, we are still baffled and sad of his death) "hey, it must have been Gene that kept all that glass from cutting you".

Awe well, Iam thankful no injuries, and the weirdness of it~
My Signature
"..for those who believe, no words are necessary. For those who do not believe, no words are possible.."  (and that's ok!~)

#2 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

Yeah I've had that happen a few times, you were probably using a pyrex dish and you put it down on a cold spot and the thermal stress was just too much for it. Also if there was any water even a drop or two then your baking dish never had a chance :no:

FYI ceramic baking dishes are even worse BUT generally don't explode they just crack into 2 or 3 pieces. I use pot holders, trivets and unused oven burners for hot dishes now :yes: Oh and I use welding gloves to get things out of the oven :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

#3 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

It's tempered glass.   It should break up into not overly sharp bits.   It's the force of the explosion and the heat that are dangers.

I carefully check my glass before I use it after having a Pyrex stock pot full of soup explode.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

View Postsiguie, on 23 November 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Yeah I've had that happen a few times, you were probably using a pyrex dish and you put it down on a cold spot and the thermal stress was just too much for it. Also if there was any water even a drop or two then your baking dish never had a chance :no:

FYI ceramic baking dishes are even worse BUT generally don't explode they just crack into 2 or 3 pieces. I use pot holders, trivets and unused oven burners for hot dishes now :yes: Oh and I use welding gloves to get things out of the oven :yes:

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 23 November 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

It's tempered glass.   It should break up into not overly sharp bits.   It's the force of the explosion and the heat that are dangers.

I carefully check my glass before I use it after having a Pyrex stock pot full of soup explode.

siguie is right, just a drop of water on the surface of, what ever you are placing the dish on, can shatter it. I learned that the hard way too. It was a homemade mac 'n' cheese; all from scratch. I was so mad.  :wallbash: Also, check for air bubbles in the glass. If you see any return it to the store. The ones with air bubbles can shatter as well. Though those tend to do so in the oven, which isn't great either.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

yeah I did this with my mom's pyrex teapot when I was about 12....  sat it on the counter and there must have been a single drop of room temp water.

It went "ping" and fell to pieces.
My Signature

#6 aisLinnZ

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Playing Celtic harp, sketching, reading bks of people in a mystical perspective(Abe Lincoln,Hildegard of Bingen,William B. Yeats,Nostrodomus-regular folks , living their beliefs), enjoy forests~

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing experiences and fyi's!

It just happened fast,  and I hadn't researched how common it is..my son looked it up too, today- even some glass tables have done the same thing. Geeez, glad it hadn't happened yrs back, when my kids were little and roaming about the kitchen. Glass flew all the way into the dining room......still don't know how I didn't cut since my face was inspecting the food *;*
My Signature
"..for those who believe, no words are necessary. For those who do not believe, no words are possible.."  (and that's ok!~)

#7 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

View PostaisLinnZ, on 24 November 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

....still don't know how I didn't cut since my face was inspecting the food *;*

Sounds like an angel was watching out for you.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#8 JustSomeGuy

Apport

• GS Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Like everyone said nothing freaky happened there, My mother had cooked bacon in one & nothing happened then but a couple days later it was still sitting on the stove top & I accidentally turned on the wrong coil & heated it up, when I heard the grease sizzling I turned it off & a few minutes later...BOOM. Glass clear across the kitchen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com