45 replies to this topic

#21 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

TomCat, that is a real possibility.  I'd have to see his ghost firsthand to be able to verify if he actually haunts either of the places I mentioned.  He did visit a lot of places in Florida while alive, so maybe the current owners of these places just like to have some fun with the idea.

Kate

#22 ghosthunter182003

ghosthunter182003

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:-haunting the ghoststudy message board

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Kate518 @ Nov 4 2004, 10:59 PM)
TomCat, that is a real possibility.  I'd have to see his ghost firsthand to be able to verify if he actually haunts either of the places I mentioned.  He did visit a lot of places in Florida while alive, so maybe the current owners of these places just like to have some fun with the idea.
Kate
View Post

Hey, I could be wrong.  Maybe his spirit doesn't really haunt Alcatraz after all!  I was just saying that it's a possibility.  I didn't mean to offend you, TomCat or Kate!   sad.gif
ghosthunter182003

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

#23 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:52 PM

I think he doe's haunt Alcatraz. many people think he plays some music there. I think ghosts can haunt more then one place.
Be Good!

#24 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:16 PM

Or some of these hauntings could merely be residual, like the place in Ft. Pierce FL where people claim to smell Al's cigar smoke in one of the rooms.  Quite possible with Alcatraz, since he was an inmate there and suffering inmates would seems likely candidates to leave behind some psychic residue of their experience in prison.

Kate

#25 MsMercury

MsMercury

Pareidolia

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts
  • Interests:lying on the beach drinking beer

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:32 PM

I've always heard that Alcatraz was haunted. I've seen some pretty interesting tv shows on it.  If i ever make it to San Franscisco I will have to take a tour.
Teri

#26 ghosthunter182003

ghosthunter182003

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:-haunting the ghoststudy message board

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Kate518 @ Nov 8 2004, 09:16 PM)
Or some of these hauntings could merely be residual, like the place in Ft. Pierce FL where people claim to smell Al's cigar smoke in one of the rooms.  Quite possible with Alcatraz, since he was an inmate there and suffering inmates would seems likely candidates to leave behind some psychic residue of their experience in prison.
Kate
View Post

For some reason, Kate518, I agree with you.  Even if he doesn't show up physically, there's a possibility that he's haunting residually.  Then again, we could be wrong.   unsure.gif
ghosthunter182003

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

#27 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:29 PM

I think its more then one type of haynting though. a residual and a Portal Haunting
Be Good!

#28 Witchbelle

Witchbelle

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hi there,
             Just wondered if anyone has been to alcatraz and had any good photos? Or know any stories etc? My husband is going this week and is taking photos I hope. He doesn't know my interest in ghosts yet, so I am going to ask him to take tons. Is it worth taking a lot? Witchbelle.
user posted image
Don't Dream It......Be It.

#29 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

I've never been to Alcatraz, but I do know that many of our members have been to the Rock. In December's Gallery, (I believe) there is a pretty cool photo taken there.
Here it is:
Alcatraz Photo

#30 Witchbelle

Witchbelle

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Jan 10 2005, 09:32 AM)
In December's Gallery, (I believe) there is a pretty cool photo taken there.
Here it is:
Alcatraz Photo

View Post

That is a very creepy looking photo. I will ask my husband to take as many photos as will physically fit on the camera. I really hope to find something.

user posted image

#31 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Witchbelle @ Jan 9 2005, 07:28 PM)
That is a very creepy looking photo. I will ask my husband to take as many photos as will physically fit on the camera. I really hope to find something.

View Post

Well, you'll have to promise to share should there be anything captured on those pictures!!

#32 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

I made a post about that place some time ago, but its very active
http://www.paranormalsoup.com/forums/index...292&hl=Alcatraz
Be Good!

#33 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Ceaser. WitchBelle, I'm going to merge these 2 topics since they deal with the same thing! ~Helena~ wink.gif

#34 Witchbelle

Witchbelle

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Jan 10 2005, 01:44 PM)
Well, you'll have to promise to share should there be anything captured on those pictures!!

View Post

Don't worry, I fully intend to. I am just hoping something interesting comes up. Thanks.
user posted image

#35 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

No problem!!! Alcatraz has always fascinated me. With a history like it has, there is no doubt in my mind that it's haunted!! Wishing your hubby Happy hunting!!!

#36 TenSeven

TenSeven

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Oct 27 2004, 09:05 PM)
I was browsing the board and came across the "Haunted Alcatraz" thread.. which reminded me of something that happened about 2 weeks ago..
Then all the sudden, the channels started changing on their own, and the volume on the TV went to full blast. ...Finally, we just left it alone and let it do its thing.. with the volume at full blast, the channel changing finally stopped on A&E.. they were having some special on Alcatraz.

View Post

Now thatís a great story. Too funny.  Has it happened again? Wonder who it was? If my dad ever comes back as a ghost heís going to hog the remote. The man is hooked on CNN.

On a more serious note, I have been in the death chamber of a prison. The chamber itself was free of any vibes, but the holding cells had some of the most terrible energy imaginable. Those cells were where the condemned wait for several days prior to the execution.

#37 Claire

Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

Ooohh....they have nighttime tours...

http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?...346268>1=8198

I can't imagine an eerier place at night.
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#38 spectre

spectre

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

I went recently and I believe I caught two apperitions. Guard and inmate possibly. http://www.paranormalsoup.com/forums/index...showtopic=19835

Edited by spectre, 24 May 2006 - 02:10 PM.

P.I.B.A Paranormal Investigations Bay Area

Join P.I.B.A (Paranormal Investigations Bay Area)

#39 EmeraldFaerie

EmeraldFaerie

Daemon

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Reading, painting, gardening, movies, music, chatting, computer, baking, floral arrangment, spending time with my family.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:57 AM

We went to San Fransisco last June and although we went to Fisherman's Wharf and took some pics of Alcatraz from there we didn't do the tour of it. Which was rather disappointing. But our kids are still kind of small (3 and 4 at the time) and one of them has motion sickness so we didn't know how he'd do with the ferry ride out and back. But, I SO want to go back and do the tour sometime. My husband has done it before and never seen anything, but he doesn't believe either. I think if I did see something there I'd be freaked out, but on the other hand I'd love for my hubby to see just to prove to him there is something beyond this life. I would definitely never do the nighttime tour...the place just looks creepy during the day, can't imagine being there at night!

#40 inmate1577

inmate1577

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Well I stumbled across this site and I had to comment on Alcatraz. First of all I'll give you a little background. I work at Alcatraz with the park service doing historical interpretation for the last 3 years. I have over 1000 hours volunteered on the Rock including several overnight stays. I also do some ghosthunting out there as well as other places like Andersonville, Gettysburg, Virginia City NV, Bodie Calif, etc.

I want to clear some things that I have read on other sites. First , the biggest question we get is about the monster in D-14 in the segregation block and the inmate who hung himself supposedly driven insane. I want to state that there is NO record of ANY inmate ever found dead, of un or natural causes in that cell. When someone died on Alcatraz whether it be of natural causes, suicided, murder, escape attempt , or illness there is a MILE of paperwork for each and every case. Because this story seems to abound on paranormal sites I went to national archives and researched the records, talked with former guards and inmates and historians. There is no one and no record that verifies the claim of  an inmate driven insane in D-14 or any other solitary cell to the point of suicide or death.

Also one of the storys talks about a Ranger Rex. There has never been to my knowledge anyone called "Ranger Rex" working on Alcatraz, maybe this is a false name to protect the Ranger's identity. As a rule Park Service employees do not talk about the paranormal, this isnt just Alcatraz this is in all parks. Privately yes, but publicly no, unfortunately.

Next, Al Capone. I have never met any employee who has seen the ghost of Al Capone, Robert Stroud or Machine Gun Kelly. Trust me, we talk about our paranormal experiences out there amongst ourselves. Also no one has ever heard any music being played out there either.

There are cells that are off limits to the public, not because of paranormal activity but either they are on the upper tiers which is a dangerous place to be , or to prevent vandalism. Alcatraz has many areas that are off limits to the public but its for a safety reason only, not a paranormal reason.

The pictures on the other website, can be debated. I dont see anyting that cant be contributed to a ghost, more like a camera malfunction or trick photography IMHO.  Also I dont know of anyone being "torn to shreds" in the citadel, thats a new one for me so I dont know where that story came from.

As to sounds of crashing and clanging noises. You have to remember that the cellhouse is over 70 years old and sits in the most harsh enviroments. Pieces of concrete fall off the roof, rebar pops out of the concrete when it rusts and expands, we have 200 pairs of nesting gulls on the island who kick up a racket at all hours and they nest everywhere including the roof of the cellhouse.

Am I discounting any paranormal activity on the island. Nope not at all I'm discounting some of the more ridiculous stories that have been told.  Now some of you might not like what I'm going to say but we regard psychics like Sylvia Brown as a total hack and a joke. They come out there and point out the obvious. There is no record of any inmate who went by the name of "Butcher" but there was an inmate who was murdered in the laundry, once again all public record.

Now do we get the heebie-jeebies in that place, you bet. Have we made EVP recordings out there that cant be explained, lots of em. But I'm just putting to rest some of the silliness.

Thanks