• You cannot reply to this topic
501 replies to this topic

#21 Corgi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:02 PM

I, too, am absolutely fascinated with the story.  It may because it was the first scary book I ever read and the first scary movie I ever saw.  It gave me nightmares for years as a child.  I like to believe that there is some truth to the whole thing.  The idea that it was declared a hoax to put a stop to all the curiosity makes sense to me.  I am sure exaggerations occured in the book and movie...the only thing that makes me wonder about the truth of it all is the fact that the people that have lived there since haven't experienced anything abnormal.

BTW..I posted on the old boards that they are remaking the movie.  It is coming out in April.  You can watch a 7 min. documentary on it at the Yahoo! movies site.
I'll be the first in line at the theater!
My Signature
IPB Image

Give me the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll... and drift away

http://www.virginiaghosts.com

#22 Smudge

Spookyliscious

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:06 PM

Just one point I would like to make.
How many times have we read a book, and then seen the film at a later date.
How many times have you also said.... it's not as good as the book or vice versa.
I have often done this, and thought, Oh, they missed this bit out, or, I don't remember reading that.. etc etc.

Very seldom if ever , are books and screenplays exactly the same.

A book conjures up the users imagination.
A movie has to create that imagination, therefore it is bound to be  a lot more glorified than the book.

The writer of the book has in all probability glorified the events and made more of them, than he should of done.
So with glorification added to the book, and then also to the movie.....it could  end up as a totally different story as to what did happen.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but that is the only explanation I can come up with for why it may all have been over dramatised.
Deb

Edited by smudge, 05 November 2004 - 06:12 PM.

My Signature
user posted image

#23 Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

great point. I think alot of movies and books that are based on true events are hyped to get more r higher ratings too
My Signature
Be Good!

#24 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:14 PM

That is an excellent point Deb.
A little added info, and if someone already posted it I'm sorry.
When Anson had finished the book, it wasn't given to the Lutz until AFTER it went into print. George has said many times that Anson had taken MANY liberties with the story. And I'm sure that when the movie went into production, a lot of really out there things were added for dramatic affect.

#25 doodlebug

Ghoststudy's Pest

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:20 PM

I think that I read somewhere that Anson worked off the tapes that George and Kathy had made, and his only real contact with them was a few weeks prior to the release of the book.

Then again, this is memory, and mine ain't that great.....What was my name again????? blink.gif
My Signature
IPB Image
Thanks Helena!
Troublemaker #2  Look!!  A chicken!!

#26 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:47 PM

Deb, that was a great point and while I read that I was thinking of Stephen King, lol. The book is always better.
My Signature

#27 cryptid

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(doodlebug @ Nov 5 2004, 10:20 PM)
I think that I read somewhere that Anson worked off the tapes that George and Kathy had made, and his only real contact with them was a few weeks prior to the release of the book.
View Post

I read the same thing doodlebug. Not a very thorough way to research a 'true' story huh.gif
My Signature

#28 doodlebug

Ghoststudy's Pest

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:01 PM

Whew....glad to know that I wasn't imagining that cryptid.  There is so much out there about the AH, that it all starts to run together after a while....
My Signature
IPB Image
Thanks Helena!
Troublemaker #2  Look!!  A chicken!!

#29 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:35 AM

That is so true my freind. I think I had read the same thing but it has been some time since I have probed into this case,
My Signature

#30 Twnmsk

EVP

• GS Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:20 AM

My point on this was the movie that was made it was reported that the things in the movie were 90% fabricated.  It was made to look real other wise no one would watch the movie. I do belive that due to the history of the house that there is hauntings that go on but I don't feel that they are as they were portrayed. I do believe there was poltergist that was going on, but I think it more of the fact that the insidents that happened in the house that they are being replayed.  I would love to hear of actual real current investigations on the house that has taken place to decided if there really is a some ghost there to this day.
Its really hard to believe something is true after its been hyped up by the media, and book writers and movie makers.  But due to this history on this house.  I believe something is there. I just don't believe its as big as everyone (media) is making it.
Twnmsk

#31 babyjo53

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:46 AM

Well I am totally fascinated. Particularly by those of you have actually had contact with the Lutz's and the Warrens. Sounds to me like SOMETHING happened to these people. What about the people that have lived in the house since that time? You would think anything THAT haunted would still be bothering the current owners!
My Signature
user posted image

#32 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:28 PM

I have no doubt something did happen and that the place is haunted I just feel the movies have discredited the hauntings over the course of time.
My Signature

#33 Guest_BoneDust_*

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

Hey. Ok, I was checkin out the picture of the appiration in the Amityville pic. Well I decided to delve into the layout of the house and the children. I have found out  that the entity is in Allison's room of the DeFeo family. Her parents room was across from hers and Marc's and John's were next to hers. I was looking closely at the ghost picture and the children. I think the entity is either Allison or Marc. The reason I say this is because they both resemble each other. The appiration in the photo was crouched down as if peaking out of the room. Probably too tall to be John. Also if you look at the picture of Marc and the ghost photo, you'll notice that the shape of the nose and structure of the face match almost exactly. Just raise his head up in your mind and you'll see it. But then again it was Allison's room so it could be her as well. She had long hair and in the ghost photo the hair blends into the darkness and could be pulled back so its hard to tell.

If you want to check out about the layout you can go to: http://www.amityvillemurders.com/csgallery/
Just look at the position of the staircase.

Have a strong stomach though as these are crime scene photos.

Here's the link to the ghost photo on ghoststudy.com
http://ghoststudy.com/monthly/oct04/amityville.htm

Let me know what you think.

#34 Shadow Gh0st

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff<br /><br />ghosts,sports,web design<br /><br />thats the short version

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:11 PM

they are very creepy pics. good Info on the AH pIc. good research BD!
My Signature
IPB Image

#35 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

I always thought the the pic looked like Marc as well BoneDust. I have done some reading at the website that you mentioned, and it's very sad. Some very awesome information BD! Thanks for posting!

#36 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(cryptid @ Nov 5 2004, 11:20 PM)
I read the same thing doodlebug. Not a very thorough way to research a 'true' story huh.gif
View Post

That is too true Cryptid! Methinks that Mr. Anson was in it for the money more than he was for the book that is supposedly "based on a true story".

#37 Guest_BoneDust_*

• Guests

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Helena.

The first time I saw the pic I was more shakin' then anything. But after I looked into the family and saw the crime scene photos, I myself felt that sadness. With something so disturbing, the place is haunted in one way or the other. And if it's still there then it's in hiding or the family that's there must have a very good relationship with it. Either way, I hope the best for everyone that is a part of it. I, myself, wouldn't go into any of the rooms alone.

#38 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:43 AM

that happens more times than I would like to think Helen. It is sad to because of the damage it does the location and in truth all researchers. Once someone lies people start to assume we all are gonna pull the same stunts.
My Signature

#39 sjrlink100

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Reading, Acting, Singing.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:24 AM

Good pics, not exactly my wanted wake up call to see those, but good evidence.

I never expected the Amytiville house to look so...quaint.  When I read the books, I always pictured it to look more sinister.

#40 babyjo53

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:10 PM

Wow that gives me a whole new perspective on the house! It is so 70's and so normal.Everything looks like a rather normal family lived there. The people look as if they are asleep still wrapped up snuggly and feeling safe. What a tragedy! I'd love to see pictures of what it looks like now!
My Signature
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com