• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Brockville Horror

The Brockville Horror

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I wasn't sure whether to put this post in the ghosts forum or the zombies/ monsters one, so I figure this one would be the best.

I should start out by saying that I have never read The President's Vampire by Robert Damon Schneck, but I heard him give an interview on World of the Unexplained. One particular story stood out from all the rest - the Bridge to Body Island.

Basically, there was an albino born near New Orleans almost a century ago, and he became a sort of immortal serial killer. He develoed a name [that I will not mention] and anyone who thinks about his name, the "demon" is aware of them and comes after them.

Anyone know the full story? What are your thoughts?

#2 equus6

equus6

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

I've never heard the story, but it sounds spooky!! confused0068.gif
Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason they didn't make it to your future....

#3 Etheress

Etheress

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

I googled the book and one site said this about that particular story:

THE BRIDGE TO BODY ISLAND
Wisconsin, 1990
This story is different from all the others in this book.
First, the source is a close friend. Second, though this
might sound dramatic, readers who are genuinely
frightened by the paranormal or troubled by obsessive
thoughts should consider skipping this chapter.

OMG, I sooo wanna read it now!! Is there anywhere online I can read it (without buying the book?)

EDIT: I did some research, and found this...
http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm409948.html
Doesn't seem that spooky after reading this. Sounds like an urban legend (and not a very believable one at that) to me.

Edited by Etheress, 05 July 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#4 lurker

lurker

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:playing guitar, roadtrips, paranormal and reading

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:29 AM

I own this book and reread that story last night.  it came off as a hookman/bloodymary type legend on steroroids. it was entertaining to read about the bye-bye man.  but the paranormal aspect of the story left me wanting.

#5 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(Etheress @ Jul 5 2008, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I googled the book and one site said this about that particular story:

THE BRIDGE TO BODY ISLAND
Wisconsin, 1990
This story is different from all the others in this book.
First, the source is a close friend. Second, though this
might sound dramatic, readers who are genuinely
frightened by the paranormal or troubled by obsessive
thoughts should consider skipping this chapter.

OMG, I sooo wanna read it now!! Is there anywhere online I can read it (without buying the book?)

EDIT: I did some research, and found this...
http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm409948.html
Doesn't seem that spooky after reading this. Sounds like an urban legend (and not a very believable one at that) to me.

Yeah full of large holes, especially the story has a reportedly visually impaired person doing things that are very dangerous for a fully sighted person to do (hopping trains) and behaving as though not impaired visually at all.  While many visually impaired people function very well, they have some really clear limits...

It's not likely that an orphaned,abandoned blind kid in Louisiana in the 40s and 50s would get the sort of life-skills training that blind people are given now.
Keep in mind that even with the best life-skills and navigation training available now a severely visually impaired person is NOT going to have the skills of Master Po from Kung Fu.  

However, in reading the story in the link there are some familiar motifs from other much older folk lore, Sci fi and fantasy stories from the 50s and 60s, (I'm sort of vaguely reminded of the sorcerer king Elric of Melnibone... an albino with a tendency to leave a trail of bloody corpses behind him...needing souls to summon his patron demon)  as well as some Lovecraftian elements (_Call of Cthulhu_) from the 1930s pulps, of summoning someone/thing by thinking it's name.

I think this Urban Legend is patched together out of elements taken from several sources, and the original teller of the tale is probably a reader of 1930s pulps, paranormal tales and Scifi.  Possibly, a tale told at a campfire for a quick thrill and has now gained a life of it's own.

If there was such an event, with the orphan going missing after murdering the nurse, I would think there would be older versions of the story, with the oldest being from the south.  (The closest I can recall is a story of an albino girl teased cruelly by classmates who gets back at them through sorcery... _Mistress Sary_ by William Tenn, from Weird Tales in 1947 is also a story brought to mind by this one. )

Sci fi book club review: "• The consequences of name-calling become all too clear when a strange girl wielding stranger powers comes to town in “Mistress Sary.”"
I may have this story in an anthology but I really haven't made a dent in unpacking my books since my move.

#6 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,986 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(The Brockville Horror @ Jul 3 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't sure whether to put this post in the ghosts forum or the zombies/ monsters one, so I figure this one would be the best.

I should start out by saying that I have never read The President's Vampire by Robert Damon Schneck, but I heard him give an interview on World of the Unexplained. One particular story stood out from all the rest - the Bridge to Body Island.

Basically, there was an albino born near New Orleans almost a century ago, and he became a sort of immortal serial killer. He develoed a name [that I will not mention] and anyone who thinks about his name, the "demon" is aware of them and comes after them.

Anyone know the full story? What are your thoughts?

Bloody Mary!  Bloody Mary! Bloody Mary!

*turns three times*
Posted Image

#7 The Brockville Horror

The Brockville Horror

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

The Bridge to Body Island

Originally from the book
“The President’s Vampire”
by Robert Damon Schneck

In Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, three college students got together to play with an old Ouija board that one of them had found in their attic. They began experimenting with it. One of the three, named Eli, had always had an interest in the paranormal, being an avid ghost hunter. He hadn’t much luck with it – nothing occurs when he is around. The other two, named Katherine and John, were also interested. They wanted to come up with something, using the ouija board, that none of them could have known and couldn’t have come from their subconscious minds. After many failed attempts, the ouija board finally began to work. What came out were a kind of new-age messages, about love and higher vibrations. The three did notice however that the spirits were making references to an entity or being which they seemed to be afraid of. Eli, who loved scary stuff, wanted to pursue what that spirit was. All of the spirits left, except for one, that called itself “the Spirit of the Board”. It refused to give more details, however, after several attempts at asking, over several sessions, the spirit gave this account:

The creature it was afraid of was a man who was born about 1912 in Algiers, Louisiana. He was born an albino and was left at a local orphanage. As he grew up he lost his sight and became violent. He attempted to run away from the orphanage several times, but he was always found and brought back. One night, he took a large pair of scissors, attacked a nurse and fled to the train yards. He became involved with voodoo or black magic, and became a kind of a monster who developed a name that became a folklore figure, a bit like the “Candyman” from the movie. He began wearing glasses that were painted black – after all, he was blind. He started killing people; they began to find bodies horribly mutilated by the train tracks all over the country, or at least all over the south.
The man then started putting together a friend or a pet, from the tongues and eyes of his victims that acted as his eyes. It would whistle when a victim was found and he closed in on them. But he found his victims in an unusual way – whenever someone would think about his name, or concentrate on the name he gave himself, it was a psychic beacon and the man was aware of them. As long as someone thought about his name, he would begin to move towards them.

They thought that was the end of the story…until…
One night, Eli and Katherine went to a concert in Wausau, Wisconsin and they were walking along a rail bridge to an island named Barker Stewart Island, which was known as Body Island, because bodies used to wash up on the shore from the lumberyard upstream.  As they were walking, Eli saw a turtle in the river, so he climbed down to see it. While he was gone, Katherine heard a whistle.  A whistle that got louder and louder. She panicked and ran away.
They later broke up and she started dating John.

All three had trouble sleeping. They would always wake up at 3 AM. One night, John heard a knock on his door…”Come on John, we’re going out for breakfast”, John turned and noticed it was dark out – it was the middle of the night. The knock came again. Paralysed with fear, John dropped to the floor where he noticed, in the crack under the door, two shadows. A tall one and a small one. He remained there the rest of the night. Could it have been the man who’s name he had been thinking about?

The mans name is……

The Bye-Bye Man

#8 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

They made a movie about this. The Bye Bye Man (2017)

When three college students move into an old house off campus, they unwittingly unleash a supernatural entity known as The Bye Bye Man, who comes to prey upon them once they discover his name. The friends must try to save each other, all the while keeping The Bye Bye Man's existence a secret to save others from the same deadly fate. Written by STX Entertainment

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#9 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,986 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal