1 reply to this topic

#1 Sean lennon2

Sean lennon2

Ectoplasm

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

Hey ghost hunters I got a place in washington called The Pittock manchon (Reminder, NOT WASHINGTON DC)
Pittock Mansion (3229 NW Pittock Drive, Portland, OR)

Historic Pittock Mansion is a 16,000 square foot building that overlooks Portland. Local craftsmen built it almost entirely of materials made from regional sources. Architect Edward T. Foulkes designed it. Perhaps because he had never designed such a large home before, Foulkes was not a prisoner of standard design. His plans incorporated an interesting mix of square stone walls, with a circular interior. Rooms were built off of a central grand staircase like spokes from a wheel.

The house incorporated many of the most modern features. There was a dumbwaiter to raise food to the upstairs bedrooms. The house was designed so that morning airflow acted to cool the house without fans in the summer. Instead of bells to call servants from anywhere in the house, the Pittock's had an internal phone system installed. A central vacuum system ran throughout the house. According to legend the vacuum was so powerful that if it were used when the windows were closed the air pressure change would be so strong that windows would implode. There were some homey touches.

Georgiana Pittock made use of her frugal pioneer upbringing in the house. For many years she had saved the silver foil that her tea had come wrapped in. When the house was built, she had the foil used to paper the vaulted ceiling of the entryway of the house. The house was really the culmination of the life and work of the Pittocks.

The Pittocks stood apart from many of their peers in a time when most of the rising rich of the Pacific Northwest were what I have come to call visionary-despots. I do not mean any disrespect to these people, or those who admire their accomplishments. Without the dedication and work and yes, the vision of progress they had, we would not have the benefits we enjoy today. At the same time, the men and women who undertook the development of the Pacific Northwest could be short sighted and ruthless in accomplishing their goals. They were in part a product of their time, which was much different than the times we live in today.

Henry Pittock was instrumental in brining modernization to many industries in the Pacific Northwest. He helped found the Mazamas climbing club and was part of the first expedition to climb Mt. Hood. He frequently led the rose parade. The house was not completed until they had been married 58 years. After the sandstone mansion was completed, the Pittocks and some of their descendents moved in together. Georgiana lived in the house for four years, until her death in 1918. Henry survived her by one year and died in 1919. The house was purchased by the City of Portland in 1964 and restored with public and donated funds and labor.

Since the house has opened to the public in 1965 there have been some stories of strange happenings throughout the mansion. A boyhood picture of Henry Pittock seems to move from place to place. It is usually kept on a bedroom mantle, but will move to different locations only minutes after it was last seen. The tour guides can be reticent about these happenings. One did admit that one morning she entered the mansion and saw a figure standing in one of the ground floor rooms as she turned on the lights only to find it was a new mannequin display. Perhaps that is why they are hesitant to talk about their own experiences.

Visitors have come forward with their own stories. Some visitors have reported the strong smell of roses, when there were none in the house. This was Georgiana's favorite flower. Other people have reported the sound of heavy boots walking in or out of the rear entrance. A woman was looking at the picture displays in the basement level when she felt something. She turned around and saw the figure of an elderly woman, standing next to her. The woman vanished, before her eyes.

A group of native Hawaiians had taken the tour and as they left one of the youths remarked; "My uncle is a shaman in Hawaii and he says that he can feel the spirits of the Pittocks here, and they are very happy."

When I visited the mansion in the summer of 1998 I took a chance and asked one of the museum staff if the ghosts were acting up lately.

I was told, "It's strange that you asked. One of the windows overlooking the front entrance shut and latched on it's own earlier this morning."

When I took the tour I examined the window. It is situated on the first landing of the staircase on the main hall. It is a heavy glass pane that could have blown closed on it's own, but not likely. The latch is the kind that takes a human hand to lift and turn to close. I do not see how it could have latched on it's own. It was a hot summer day. Perhaps someone besides the staff felt that the air coming in was too warm and decided to close the window.

#2 JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Lil' D's Gramma

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Location:Over the Hill and Through the Woods...Really just Over the Hill
  • Interests:My grandson!!

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hey sean, I have a thread here for the Pittock... http://www.paranormalsoup.com/forums/index...Pittock+Mansion