Hoppy Easter Everyone

My Coworker Wanted A Deck At His House...so I Built Him One

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts
  • Interests:avoiding dumb people...you know, those that believe anything they are told....or found on the net.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

My coworker Glenn bought a new house last year and really wanted a deck added to a space on the back of the house.  He knew that I have built a handful of decks for myself and other family members and asked if I would draw up plans and help him build it.  The time and help needed to complete breakdown:

Thurs 4/7 - (3 hours / 2 people) dug the holes, poured the concrete and installed the 4x4 anchors
Sat 4/9 - (3 people / 12 hours) Picked up all the lumber and such,  Started working on the frame.
Sun 4/10 (3 people / 12 hours) Completed the frame and got all the top planks cut to fit and waiting to be screwed down
Mon 4/11 (2 people / 3 hours) finished putting the 2x10 skirting around the base of the deck
Wed 4/13 (2 people / 6 hours) Glenn screwed down the planks, I built the stairs / he screwed them down.

Came out pretty good.  He and his wife are very happy with it.  right at 2K for material cost.  It is 20.5' long (front) 17'7" long (rear) and 12'8" deep except on the left side.

That is Glenn standing in front of his new deck.  He still needs to fill in a little dirt and add some patches of carpet grass.  Everything almost came out perfect.  Front left 4x4 was off by about 1" from sitting perfectly on the 4x4 anchor.  Far left top plank had to be ripped to fit.  The house wasn't perfectly square, and I was 1/2" off across the front span of the 20.5'.  The space for the last top plank (2x6) on the left was tapered from 5.25" to 4.75".  Not a big deal, but I tried really hard to not end up with that much off.  Considering the space was not square, 1/2" off across that span could have been worse...

Attached Files

Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

I wish I had a friend like you!
With a talent like yours, I'm glad you are using it to brighten the lives of others around you. You're a good example to us all!  ;)

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

Great job and friend :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

Sweet! Did you pull a permit? :crazy:

#5 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts
  • Interests:avoiding dumb people...you know, those that believe anything they are told....or found on the net.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostCDS, on 19 April 2016 - 05:13 AM, said:

Sweet! Did you pull a permit? :crazy:

LOL...  Nope.  permit requirements are listed as any deck with a height of 30"+.  The highest side of his is 27.5.  

Glenn joked that once people at work see the pics, I will be asked to help others.  It took less than 2 hours after we started showing pictures at work.  Glenn is a great friend and worthy.  He got me my current position and convinced me to leave my previous job to come back here.  I made more last year in the 11 months here that I have ever made in a single year...by 40%.  I felt like I kind of owed him for that :-)
Life is short, enjoy it!

#6 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,518 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

If you ever have a beef with any other of your neighbors, you can honestly tell them "I decked my neighbor. I'll deck you too!"   :D
Posted Image

#7 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 19 April 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

If you ever have a beef with any other of your neighbors, you can honestly tell them "I decked my neighbor. I'll deck you too!"   :D

ROFLMAO!!!!
Life is short, enjoy it!

#8 felioness

felioness

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Sweet! Wish I had a friend like you! Obviously you are a good friend. Rock on!

#9 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

That deck looks great! Is he going to paint/stain the wood?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#10 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

View Postearthlydelites, on 23 April 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

That deck looks great! Is he going to paint/stain the wood?

Yes,

we have had a bunch of rain the last week.  He needs to wait a week without rain before he stains it.  Honey brown color.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#11 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Awesome, it will look so good once it's stained!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#12 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:34 AM

View Postearthlydelites, on 24 April 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

Awesome, it will look so good once it's stained!

Supposed to have a small get together at his house this weekend.  Grill some steaks and drink a little beer.  I am wondering if he will have stain, rollers and brushes available to stain since we will be there...:-)  I'll post another pic if we stain it
Life is short, enjoy it!

#13 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • 2,705 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:51 PM

View PostLouczarGStudy, on 25 April 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

Supposed to have a small get together at his house this weekend.  Grill some steaks and drink a little beer.  I am wondering if he will have stain, rollers and brushes available to stain since we will be there...:-)  I'll post another pic if we stain it
Have you tried the gel stain by Minwax???????????????? You apply it with a paint brush - a little goes a long way.  That's all I use now for staining. It colors perfectly and it's ONE coat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When decking your neighbors - I highly recommend it. For real though - I LOVE this stuff!
Posted Image

#14 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• 1,083 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:02 AM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 22 March 2021 - 05:51 PM, said:

Have you tried the gel stain by Minwax???????????????? You apply it with a paint brush - a little goes a long way.  That's all I use now for staining. It colors perfectly and it's ONE coat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When decking your neighbors - I highly recommend it. For real though - I LOVE this stuff!

The update to the deck story.  2 years after I built that deck, Glenn and his wife decided they wanted a pool in the back yard.  Complete with fire pit and hot tub.  This would include a new concrete patio.  Yes....where that nice new deck is.  The pool company has a guy they use to go tear down decks to make room for the new pool / patio.  The guy showed up as Glenn was leaving for work.  Glenn asks what is his method and he says that he uses a small chain saw to cut it down into manageable pieces to throw on the trailer.

Glenn calls his wife after lunch and she mentioned that the guy was still out there working.  Glenn though that was strange to take so long.  When Glenn got home, the  guy was loading the last of all the lumber from the deck...all the lumber was still in whole pieces.  The guy took it apart by removing all the screws.  Glenn asked why he did it that way and not just rip it apart.  The guy says.  "I looked at how the deck was built and realized it was over engineered and super strong".  Glenn tells him I did it that way in case Glenns wife put a kiddie pool on the deck.  The guy says that this deck was awesome and he could not cut it up.  he took it all apart and is taking it to his house.  he only needs some new 4x4 and 4x6 for the legs.
Life is short, enjoy it!