15 replies to this topic

#1 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

This is my little piece of paradise (Queensland) and thank God, Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded from a Cat 5 (the most destructive) down to a Cat 3. It has hit land so should slow down even more. Just waiting now to hear the damage it has caused :( Nature at its best and worst! Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#2 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

I saw that on the news this morning people were bracing for the worst! I'm safe and sound in Sydney, but I hope you're doing ok!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Yes, thank you. :) A lot of rain and wind but no destruction or power loss! I am glad I am finished work for the week, getting to the car this afternoon (about 50 metres) was like having a shower with an umbrella and my clothes on LOL.

I think that is all we are going to see on TV for a few days.
Posted Image

#4 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:56 AM

So glad you're safe, Klainey.
Hey, I love your new banner... very cool!

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 28 March 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

So glad you're safe, Klainey.
Hey, I love your new banner... very cool!

Thank you one of the members made it for me, I love it too :)
Posted Image

#6 kevinscan

kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Glad your ok, I'm not effected here in Adelaide South Australia  But my wife name is Debbie and we have been paying her out about it.

Edited by kevinscan, 28 March 2017 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#7 Muriel

Muriel

Apport

• GS Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

I have been through dreadful storms such as this one, so I can relate.  Stay safe.  

M!

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Debbie is now a tropical low and except for a lot of rain water / flooding it is OK :) thank you all.

Lol kevinscan
Posted Image

#9 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Looks like we are now in for 4 days of a tropical low, lots of heavy rain and 70kl winds :(
Posted Image

#10 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

Another reason not to swim in flood water.

:crazy:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

The Official GhostStudy Easter Bunny

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

:confused0068: Wow,

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop

#12 Mikaru

Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Gah! The ocean is receding!

#13 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Poor shark! And the cockatoo that lost all his feathers didn't make it :(
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#14 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:36 AM

View Post[size=4]KlaineyGStudy, on 30 March 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Another reason not to swim in flood water.[/size]

:crazy:

Posted Image

Klainey... I hope that's not your backyard.  :crazy:

#15 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:51 AM

From one extreme to another.

Farmers that have been in drought conditions for 8 years struggled to keep their cattle alive only to lose most of them when the much-needed rain turned into widespread flooding.

This is Beryl's story!
She was a hand raised by the Websters

Posted Image

Initially, I wasn’t sure if I could post this; but I feel it is our duty, as custodians of this great land, to share, educate and bring to life what has happened and is happening right now in North West Queensland, Australia.

And this is a HUGE part of Beryl’s amazing story.....still now, surviving, against all odds.....

On the 29th of January, our prayers were answered and the horrendous prolonged drought of 2018 (and for others a lot longer) was broken.
Rejoice!!!! 80mm of pure gold rainwater fell from the sky. However, our sheer delight soon faded to worry and finally absolute heartbreak and devastation as over the next 11 days; over 32 inches of rain fell over our great and amazing property. This total is above our ANNUAL rainfall - and we got that in just 11 days.

The elements were against us. Constant rain, howling winds and cold cold weather saw our livelihoods, pets, mates and “family members” start to die due to exposure. And not only that,record breaking floods have swept across our great region, killing literally hundreds of thousands of cattle. Horses, sheep, goats also included. But also wiping out kangaroos, emus, lizards and all kinds of native animals.

It is said that over 800 properties have been effected. An area of land twice the size of Tasmania, and, the size of France - has been covered by flood waters.

This is a complete and utter national disaster. A leading Australian Industry has been king hit!! And we need to get what’s happening out there - out across Australia and out to our friends across the pond.

Please know also that there was literally nothing anyone could do.Higher ground you say? Where would we have taken them? Mt Everest? Put them in shelter you say - how do you fit 4000-50000 head in a shed? We couldn’t even GET to these animals to move them.

We are so passionate about where we live, what we do and our communities - and if we could have done something - we would have.

Our property alone has lost 90%+ of the cattle that were living on this property, we had nearly 4000 here. To put into perspective, that is our next 2-3years income completely gone. And we are some of the luckier ones. Our houses never went under and we managed to save our horses in time.

So back to Beryl. She has been living in a paddock for about 12 months now away from our homestead. It was important to us to let her be with other cows and also, to have a little baby of her own.
The rains started and we weren’t too worried. But as the days kept on with the conditions and we could see that around our house, weaners were “dropping like flies” (no matter what shelter we provided or what hay and feed we put out.) We were getting desperately worried about Beryl and her fate.

The rain eased and there was a break in the weather so Jake ploughed out to her paddock. We were pacing anxiously around the two-way to hear of any news. “I found Lilly” was the first call. Lilly is my nieces poddy calf, similar in age to Beryl. I was beside myself.
Nearly an hour passed and we heard “I’ve found Beryl - she’s been living by herself out the back of this ridge eating prickle bush.”

We realise, finding two Brahmans amongst 4000 is no great win. But boy oh boy it was good for the soul. And as the tears flowed Jake bought them home and finally we had them safely with us. And a whole lotta nice was put into our hearts for the day.

The timing was so lucky - the weather didn’t break for another two days - it was so cold - and I can guarantee if Jake didn’t go and get her - she wouldn’t have survived.

So now she hasn’t left the house. She’s back on her blanket and back into Sayos and Jatz crackers. And I am happy my little love is home.

But my heart is heavy. Heavy for my family, heavy for my friends and heavy for our community.

Flood waters are dropping but this isno where near being over.

Dead animals are literally,at every direction we look.

My husband and my brother in law have been hectically trying to get hay to animals that have survived but have not eaten in literally 10 days besides a few prickly thorns off an old prickly bush.

Every single person for hundreds of kilometres is doing the exact same thing. Fighting for our animals, our livelihoods and, fighting for the ability for AUSTRALIA and the WORLD to see what is happening right here, right now. And fighting for you, to help us!

There has been a number of amazing people and organisations get on board straight away. I’ve pinned to the top of this page some links, that if you wish, you can donate to our catastrophic disaster.

To the amazing and resilient people of NW Queensland. I have no words but a whole lotta love and a rum when all of this is over.
To the local councils, you guys have done an amazing job. To all the angels of the sky, the helicopter pilots, words are not enough. The army has also done an amazing job helping to get fodder out to places cut off from everywhere. But the locals - the local people have been and are amazing. They are living this nightmare themselves - but still helping each other.

And thereis still fences to mend, turkey nests, dams, pipelines, troughs to fix......the next 12 months is going to be really tough. And that’s an understatement.

So as you go to bed, or as you wake. Hold your family a little tighter, feed your pets a little extra, smile at a complete stranger. Life could be so much worse.

And please, if you can, give a little to a place that has always, given a lot.

Love from Beryl and her home “Balootha”

Posted Image

#16 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

:oh: Wow, I haven't heard about this. Thank you for posting it. :cwy:

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop