#1 siguie

siguie

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Tony and the youtube pimping etc.?

Literally the only way to find it now is through google who says it's http://www.paranorma...topic=44151&hl= but now I don't have access *sigh*

Anywho, in addition to some delightfully saucy and cutting remarks as is my nature I was gonna post some stuff stopforumspam addons for IPB and a little more detail on ZB Block which is really good free software :yes:

Anyways was it deleted because of me ... it wouldn't have been the first time *sigh*

Edited by siguie, 15 January 2017 - 06:08 PM.

- siguie -

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

It was moved to a secret forum.
I moved it back for now.... it's in "Share your Ghostly Photos".
We do use StopForumSpam but not as an add on.
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,253 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

It should be fine in the open forums...and serves as kind of a heads up for those looking for hits on their YouTube channels
Posted Image

#4 siguie

siguie

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 15 January 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

It was moved to a secret forum.
I moved it back for now.... it's in "Share your Ghostly Photos".
We do use StopForumSpam but not as an add on.

Oh no worries if ya want to delete it that's fine :yes:

I was just mildly perplexed 'cuz I was pretty sure I was behaving just barely within tolerable limits :yes:

Anywho stopforumspam.com generates a daily CSV file under downloads containing all of the recent IP addresses to be banned for spamming and hacking or general misbehavin. What's nice about this is ZB Block can use this file as well as the stopforumspam addon.

I know you don't use the addon BUT if you did you {admin/mods} can "report" offenses automagically {it works in SMF, phpBB and MyBB I've never worked on IPB}. This doesn't mean a person will instantly be banned from every place using this system BUT the info is recorded and with enough bad behavior yeah they'll git banned based on IP, username, email or whatever identifiers are being used :yes:

You need to get an API key {which is free} but these two things are completely worth it because they do so much :yes:

Ok I'll lay off now, I just get easily irked because JIM your websites are well regarded by search engines :yes: and these guys are not even getting a hand slap for being parasites *sigh* ... and I kinda likes you peoplez *whistle*
- siguie -

#5 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,253 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Stopforumspam is a great resource. And there are others thay are good for screening. You'd be surprised what goes on behind the scenes
Posted Image

#6 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Doppelganger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for all that info siguie.... It all went over my head but still glad that you have the sites best interest at heart :)
Posted Image

#7 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

It was kind of over my head too.  :wacko:

I got something out of it that mentioned we aren't doing everything we can. But I still don't understand what we are supposed to do and how to do it.  :huh:
I'm just not the tech type kinda guy.  :mellow:  
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#8 siguie

siguie

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Srsly :wallbash:

*sigh* Stopforumspam has an addon for SMF, phpBB and apparently IPB {the code that runs this place}. The addon lets admins/moderators {anyone granted access} to click on a user {or any number checked on the members list} to compare the members info {including ip address} against the most recent stopforumspam spammer database by just clicking a button. It's automagical ... also new members will show up highlighted in red as a warning if they are in the database.

ZB Block isn't just for forums it can "protect" any php file {php is the language used to program this place and access the MySQL database which holds all of the info. In addition to stopping spammers using the stopforumspam database it also looks for "probing" and hacking activities then blocks access once detected.

The addon is like a ruler slap on the wrist saying nuh uh when someone bad rings the bell, ZB Block is like a bouncer using a baseball bat saying if you don't have an invite you wont be knocking twice :yes:

The API Key is the Application Program Interface Key ... it's basically your password given to you from stopforumspam that allows your addon {which you don't use} access to their database.

There are some minor technical tweaks that you can do to speed things up and keep everything up to date but for the most part you don't need them here :no: I just do it 'cuz um it's kind of what I do *ashamed*

Now to really geek out I integrated spamhaus.org DBL and SBL lists into my forum code and these are mostly for email spam/phishing AND I gave a few MX records to projecthoneypot to catch email harvesters 'cuz a lot of those forum guests are just bots harvesting info and/or probing for holes like failed security updates etc.

I really do have oodles of traps and endless circles to keep bots, spammers, hackers away BUT this place really only needs the two mentioned above AND they are so  NOT very technical :wallbash:
- siguie -

#9 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Doppelganger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

siguiestop bashing your head on that wall! Breathe everything is OK :) Jim maybe you need to look into ZB Block too?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users