Free Skins
© Fisana

Famous Haunts....separation Of Myth From Reality.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

I've made a habit of regular web-surfing and discovered some interesting bits of info. I realized that some background to haunted and allegedly-haunted places are often fabricated out of the whole cloth or big embellishments. For example.....

There is a famous aledged haunt in the French Quarter. It involves a building known as Gardette-LePrete Mansion. The legend goes that in the mid-19th Century, the owner, Jean Baptiste LePrete (who bought it from the previous owner and builder, Joseph Coulton Gardette), leased the property to a wealthy Turkish man and his entourage of beautiful women, servant boys and big hulking scimitar-weilding guards. These folks would have mysterious wild parties all through the many nights.

One day, blood was seen trickling out of the entrance. Authorities busted in and discovered a scene straight out of Ichi The Killer.

However, I found this one article that indicates that the whole story's just a made-up yarn and that it's likely a reboot of an earlier story involving the same property from before the Mansion was constructed (which lacks the lavish harem orgy-fests but does involve a wealthy Turkish fugitive who settled in a house on the property and was executed by his Turkish pursuers).
http://curbed.com/ar...sacre-house.php
....This is the ONLY source I could find that proposes that this unsolved massare was just a myth.

A similar thing is true concerning the White Witch of Rose Hall in Jamaca....
https://en.wikipedia...ch_of_Rose_Hall
....There's all this stuff about this story that doesn't question it but only one site that refutes it....
http://decodedpast.c...nie-palmer/3496
....Basically this poor woman was smeared for the sake of a cool story (which dates back no earlier than 1928, in a novel).

There's not much refuting stuff like the "Turkish Palace" or "The White Witch" but a lot saying "It's true!". It seems these stories were dreamt up for tourism purposes. Even places that are likely haunted often have tales and details made up to spice things up.
* There was never a guy called "Slag" at Sloss Furnace in Mobile Alabama. He was the creation of the "Haunted House" attraction held there every Halloween season (and people just got confused). While there certainly were cruel foremen, there likely was never a man named James "Slag" Wormwood. Heck, even the name sounds made up! SLAG WORMWOOD?
* The story of Chloe at Myrtles Plantation is likely bogus as well. In this case, I think someone built a story around an alleged ghost of a turban-wearing slave/servant woman.
http://paracrypt.blo...d-haunting.html

....This is not neccessarly saying there is NO paranormal activity in these places but it does serve as a sober warning and a lesson in the importance of learning the TRUE history of a place before investigating. Often the myths can skewer any data collected and mess with investigations.
Posted Image

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

Far as the palace and parties etc, it just doesn't ring true to me, although I have seen this in a movie or 2 in the past.  Sloss Furnace and Slag, I agree. And I think Cloe at the Myrtles was researched and there was no documentation that she ever existed. Not surprising to me, most old places with any history have legends and myths told over the eyars that may or may not have a grain of truth to them.   edit: Why is my font all funky?
Posted Image

#3 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 08 March 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Far as the palace and parties etc, it just doesn't ring true to me, although I have seen this in a movie or 2 in the past.  Sloss Furnace and Slag, I agree. And I think Cloe at the Myrtles was researched and there was no documentation that she ever existed. Not surprising to me, most old places with any history have legends and myths told over the eyars that may or may not have a grain of truth to them.   edit: Why is my font all funky?

I dunno about the font.

Thank you for answering.

I was afraid that no one would notice.
Posted Image

#4 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

Vlawde is correct. The story of Chole doesn't match facts. That the area down there could be haunted, I do not doubt, but why is it based on a lie? The first onething you have there could be the LaLaurie mansion instead.  It is well documented. It was featured on American Horror Story. It is the tale of the woman who experimented on slaves. I think Nicholas Cage owns the house at the moment.
I think it important to separate facts from fiction. If something has a legend, how true is it?
We have the Octagon House down at Thomas Bridge here in Marion, VA. The house is famous and on the haunted house list. But the stories don't mach up to any recorded facts. Currently, the house is being renovated.

God Bless
Graves
Who you gonna call?

#5 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 09 March 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Vlawde is correct. The story of Chole doesn't match facts. That the area down there could be haunted, I do not doubt, but why is it based on a lie? The first onething you have there could be the LaLaurie mansion instead.  It is well documented. It was featured on American Horror Story. It is the tale of the woman who experimented on slaves. I think Nicholas Cage owns the house at the moment.
I think it important to separate facts from fiction. If something has a legend, how true is it?
We have the Octagon House down at Thomas Bridge here in Marion, VA. The house is famous and on the haunted house list. But the stories don't mach up to any recorded facts. Currently, the house is being renovated.

God Bless
Graves

Then there's the fact that there's like several different sites identified as the "Exorcist house".
Posted Image

#6 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

I've been talking about this very thing for years,  in reference to people with pictures of "Chloe" for example.   I call it circular reasoning.   The picture must be real  and not a smudge on the lens  because it's a picture of Chloe,  and Chloe must be real because there is a picture of her.   Now yes the picture might be real,  but using circular reasoning is not they way to verify it.  

I've also been saying for years and years that most places that advertise themselves as haunted are using made up stories to get people to come and spend money.  The Myrtles has been there for years,  but no one heard any stories until the current owners opened it as a B&B.  30 Years ago if a place actually was haunted no one would know, because they certainly wouldn't advertise the fact, because no one would want to stay there.  But Ghosts and ghost hunting has become such a fad that everyone wants to be in on the money to made from it.

Even known haunted places like Gettysburg with the ghost tours,  mostly it's just walking around the town at night telling ghost stories.  I've never encountered anything at night in the town witch is not part of the national park service.,  but I've run into plenty of things in the day time around Devil's Den,  Culps Hill,  and various other places on the battlefield that is part of the National Park.  

I Need to stop now,  because I can go on for days on this subject,  and I don't want to hijack your thread.

#7 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostJudecat, on 16 March 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

I've been talking about this very thing for years,  in reference to people with pictures of "Chloe" for example.   I call it circular reasoning.   The picture must be real  and not a smudge on the lens  because it's a picture of Chloe,  and Chloe must be real because there is a picture of her.   Now yes the picture might be real,  but using circular reasoning is not they way to verify it.  

I've also been saying for years and years that most places that advertise themselves as haunted are using made up stories to get people to come and spend money.  The Myrtles has been there for years,  but no one heard any stories until the current owners opened it as a B&B.  30 Years ago if a place actually was haunted no one would know, because they certainly wouldn't advertise the fact, because no one would want to stay there.  But Ghosts and ghost hunting has become such a fad that everyone wants to be in on the money to made from it.

Even known haunted places like Gettysburg with the ghost tours,  mostly it's just walking around the town at night telling ghost stories.  I've never encountered anything at night in the town witch is not part of the national park service.,  but I've run into plenty of things in the day time around Devil's Den,  Culps Hill,  and various other places on the battlefield that is part of the National Park.  

I Need to stop now,  because I can go on for days on this subject,  and I don't want to hijack your thread.

Thus; If this is a ghost....
Posted Image
....it's definitely NOT the mythical "Chloe".
Posted Image

#8 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

You can see the horizontal lines on the side of the house through that. Notice you can also see those lines though the brush to the left of that column? I'm guessing we are seeing part of a bush or some other foilage
Posted Image

#9 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

I'm not seeing a plant... especially when enlarged.
If I had to choose between foliage or ghost, I would have to choose 'ghost'.

Attached Files

#10 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 20 March 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm not seeing a plant... especially when enlarged.
If I had to choose between foliage or ghost, I would have to choose 'ghost'.

Me, too.

Concerning the above-mentioned places; I don't deny that they may be haunted or that there isn't something to it but I do think the stories may be either exaggerations (to sell tours/make money) or stories made up to explain the haunting.

Myrtles Plantation - Someone in the late 70's found this place and allegedly saw a ghost of a woman in a blue headscarf. Not fully knowing the history and needing to explain the woman (and needing tourist dollars), they conjured up the tale of "Chloe".

Sloss Furnace - There have been some nasty foremen back in the day and there may have been one guy nastier than the most. Paranormal researchers have reported being physically-attacked by some sort of malevolent entity. The organizers of the "Haunted House" attraction there knew this and came up with the completely mythical and made-up "Slag Wormwood"....the amalgamation of the "nasty foreman" and the actually nasty entity that may actually exist at Sloss.

Rose Hall - Possibly just some tourist thing based on a novel (which ended up smearing the rep of some perfectly decent woman). There may be some ghosts considering it's earliest history and people needed an explanation for that tomb-like structure on the grounds.

Gardette-LePrete Mansion - People needed an explanation for that strange fig tree, plus New Orleans needed some tourist dollars. There may have been a ghost that resembled a "Mid-Eastern Guy in Exotic Dress" and folks needed to explain that.

Bobby Mackey's Music World - I read a site where there seemed to be indications that THIS place as well may be a mix of myth and truth. The murder of Pearl Bryan actually took place....but many miles away. A good chunk of the weird goings on may be due to a mix of heavy EMF-wave activity and sub-audible rumbles from the train tracks.
* Of course, there may actually be some ghost action (even malevolent) since EMF also attracts negative energy and possible ghosts.
* It becomes an odd "chicken and egg" thing with EMF since EMF may attract legitimate paranormal forces yet also cause imaginary "paranormal" illusions/hallucinations within people.
* However; There have been alleged physical attacks, photos of apparitions, and jukebox playing "Anniversary Waltz" (despite being unplugged and not having that song in it's playlist) and violent, unexplained noises.
* The "Joanna" and "Pearl Bryan" elements may be half-true, misunderstandings or whole lies but there may indeed be a lot of dark, malevolent energy churning in that place.
* Carl Lawson (Deity bless his soul. R.I.P.) could have been either genuinely possessed or simply mentally ill. Much of the Bobby Mackey lore came from him.

Edited by SpukiKitty, 22 March 2016 - 09:36 AM.

Posted Image

#11 JenniferM

JenniferM

Orb

• GS Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi, everyone! Wanted to provide a little insight on the Myrtles discussion. Like many of you, I too am a stickler for the historical record, and am very aware that Chloe and the poisoned children are not at all supported by historical evidence. There is at least one death that occurred on site, however.  A former owner was shot on the porch outside the gentleman's parlor by an unknown assailant. The wounded man stumbled back inside the parlor, where his son was seated, and died. Myrtles legend will tell you he climbed the staircase and called out for his wife before perishing in her arms, but again, no historical record for an otherwise very romantic tale. Same can be said for the legend of the voodoo priestess who was killed on the property as well -- no evidence that I am aware of. Nevertheless, I make a point to spend the night at Myrtles once a year. In enjoy the Myrtles for its significance as a historic home and property.  I have witnessed and experienced some unusual things while there, and my skeptic boyfriend is far less skeptical after having spent only one night (during which he dedicated most of his time looking for rigs and other artificial means of producing the sounds and visions we encountered). I honestly don't know if anyone has ever tried to communicate with anything there, or if that might blow the top off the neatly arranged Chloe legend.

Edited by JenniferM, 22 April 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#12 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:58 AM

Alright, I am about to throw just a little doubt in the Myrtle image.

Several observations first.

1.) Read Troy Taylors take on the Myrtle Plantation.

2.) Take a look at some of the image manipulation I've quickly done

Original image was 532*337 and I resized to 2021*1280 pixels the equivalent to approximately 389% larger. I used an graphic image enlarging program to retain as much detail as possible during the resizing.

Here's what it looks like now.

Posted Image

I then added a little sharpening and contrast to the image to remove some of the blurring (once again an image of poor resolution typical in ghost photos)

Next I'll crop the image so you;ll be able to see the figure in question.

Attached File  crop.jpg   39.86K   15 downloads

Went and looked for a b&w image on the net and found this.

Used the pen tool in photoshop and cut the guy out on the left, pasted him into cropped photo, resized to scale, used a gaussian blur to reduce the details. Doubled the layer and reduced the opacity.

Take a look at my edited crop below. It's not the same figure but it certainly gives pause to contemplation doesn't it.

Attached Files

Edited by EVP, 23 April 2016 - 01:15 AM.

#13 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

Hey EVP,

Would you care to share the bit of enlargement softs you're using?

#14 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:52 AM

Check out Blow-Up Chris :)

#15 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

Thanks! I've been using a screen magnifier "virtual magnifier", it works well, but this looks like it does better...