• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

I was out with a couple friends last night and we saw some unexplainable lights.

I've seen these before in both the location we were in and another location.

They most resemble fireflies.  There's a similar duration of light, they similarly don't cast light, they similarly meander around.  That's where the resemblance ends.  

The light is blue rather than green (firefly phosphorescence is green and there's a scientific reason for it, I've already researched them thoroughly when I first started seeing the lights to determine if these were a different species from the normal ones).  It is much, much brighter.  It's actually like those old cube flashbulbs going off.  It's a similar size to that, too, although again, they don't cast light onto the surroundings.  

You'll also see the lights much higher than fireflies will ever go.  They'll sometimes be up at the top of 60 foot trees or 20 feet above 30 foot trees, though I've never seen them higher than about 60 feet.  I have seen them low to the ground.  

They'll be seen in all seasons, although they're rare in winter.  They're most often seen in late summer and fall and fireflies are mating in early June around here although you'll occasionally see a late bloomer into early July.

This isn't a matter of one person's eyes playing tricks on them.  I have been with eight different people who have all seen them at the same time I have over the span of roughly a dozen years and in two locations.  Last night for sure one of my companions pointed them out so it's also not suggestion.  I was actually looking a different direction altogether never even thinking of lights and she said she kept seeing strange lights.  I looked where she was, saw one and said "oh, yeah, those.  I'd forgotten about those.". There seems to be an intelligence about them.  If you talk about them more will come.  If you stand quietly, simply observing you might see two a minute no matter how long you look.  If you discuss them while you're observing they seem to gather and after ten minutes you will see maybe 50 a minute twinkling all over through your range of vision but always at a distance of 50 or 100 yards.  They don't come close and don't seem malevolent or threatening.

Has anyone seen anything similar?  Ever heard of it?  Do you have a name for them or a natural explanation?
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#2 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

There is a certain type of firefly that glows a blue-white, and the glow is constant, doesn't flicker like regular fireflies

http://www.sciencefr...host-fireflies/
My Signature
Posted Image

#3 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

Oh,  interesting.   I just did some quick reading because I hadn't run across those (scientific name Phausis reticulata).

Their range is about a thousand miles south of me and they emit a steady glow.   It's also described a number of times as gentle. Otherwise their habits and the timing is similar to local ones.

These lights are anything but subtle and they blink like regular fireflies.

But that does open the possibility they are an undocumented mutation. That mates in fall and is active year round including at - 30 in the middle of winter.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Phausis reticulata at

Dupont State Forest (NC) by cai.zz

Posted Image
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 Kristin

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

I didn't know about these fireflies. They are gorgeous!!!!

#6 moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

How incredibly beautiful. It's possible a mutation has occurred so the light acts differently from other insects. Especially with the things humans have been doing to the planet, it would make sense.

#7 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 19 September 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Phausis reticulata at

Dupont State Forest (NC) by cai.zz

Posted Image
Gorgeous colors Mac.This somewhat reminds me of the legendary ghost lights said to be found in Silver Cliff Cemetery in Colorado. I have seen several TV shows about them with the mix of skeptic/believer takes on them.

https://www.legendso...co-ghostlights/
My Signature
Posted Image
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.:"
----Bertrand Russell----

#8 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostEVP, on 14 October 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Gorgeous colors Mac.This somewhat reminds me of the legendary ghost lights said to be found in Silver Cliff Cemetery in Colorado. I have seen several TV shows about them with the mix of skeptic/believer takes on them.

https://www.legendso...co-ghostlights/
Thank you for the link. I liked it a lot.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#9 Snickers

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

interesting, I would love to see something like that.  I don't think there are any fireflies that could fly around at 30 below in the winter, so I would rule them out!  would love to know what they are though.....
My Signature
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com