Scream In The Rainforest

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#21 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostSeCRETofTheForest, on 13 August 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

the full account in this thread rules out wild pigs and any other animal of equal size or smaller...

vave's husband said that the way it was moving the vegetation, it sounded much bigger, and also faster, than a large wild pig. If he's an avid outdoorsman and hunter with a lot of experience in the forest and hunting pigs, I trust his observation.

it sounds like both these men spend a lot of time in the bush for either scientific research or hunting (and do so in some remote locations), so I don't imagine these are men who spook easily. If, with their combined experience, both heard a scream that was unfamiliar to them (which neither could place with a known animal nor identify as a person) + the husband attributed this scream to what he heard moving around (which sounded to him to be larger and faster than a large wild pig)... well... at that point you're running out of options as to what this was.

going by what vave has shared here, we can say this was something that was larger and faster than a wild pig, with a scream (that again, the husband says was not the sound of a pig) which made it obvious to two experienced outdoorsman that it was time for them to leave. Whatever this was, it made them aware of it's presence and I'd say it let them know they were unwanted (and they got the hint).

SeCRETofTheForest you definitely have a point here! Description matches exactly my husband and father in law and what got me freaked out as well from their accounts was not only the odd scream, but the size of whatever was lurking there. In the jungle here we don't have large animals, wild pigs are possibly the largest and don't normally exceed 120-140kgs in the Tropics. Also the fact that not anyone can access this area, makes it very remote... gives me the chills! They have been back in the surroundings forest areas, but not yet where they had that experience. They are talking about going back (again, for scientific reasons), but my husband is still a bit reluctant at this stage. Huh!

#22 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

Oh, one more thing my husband said just popped back into my head - something else puzzled him as to what it was, the fact that he was moving around really easily and fast despite the size (well, as much as he could work that out from the sounds he was producing around the bushes and trees). The jungle is extremely thick and unless you are as short as a pig or you have an axe to cut your way through, there is no way you can move around that fast, especially in complete darkness. There was no moon also, as they on purpose choose dark nights so the insects  are more attracted to the trap lights. There you go! So I am not saying it's the red hairy man, but can't come up with anything that may make sense :)

#23 SeCRETofTheForest

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

View Postvave82, on 14 August 2015 - 03:38 AM, said:

...something else puzzled him as to what it was, the fact that he was moving around really easily and fast despite the size (well, as much as he could work that out from the sounds he was producing around the bushes and trees). The jungle is extremely thick and unless you are as short as a pig or you have an axe to cut your way through, there is no way you can move around that fast, especially in complete darkness.

this is commonly reported by eyewitnesses who encounter sasquatch-like creatures (their ability, despite the often massive size of the creatures reported, to move seemingly unhindered through extremely dense brush).

could your husband tell if the movement he heard was quadrupedal/bipedal?

#24 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostSeCRETofTheForest, on 14 August 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

this is commonly reported by eyewitnesses who encounter sasquatch-like creatures (their ability, despite the often massive size of the creatures reported, to move seemingly unhindered through extremely dense brush).

could your husband tell if the movement he heard was quadrupedal/bipedal?

I have just asked him, he is not sure 100% about quadrupedal or bipedal - he didn't focus on that detail so much while he was trying to understand what was happening, however he said that 'it' was running extremely fast in the thick jungle and breaking vine and branches as he was getting closer, then it stopped and produced that 'scream'. And he confirmed the sounds coming from the running and the branches breaking were coming from something definitely much bigger than a pig.

#25 Morrigan

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:family, reading, cooking, artificial intelligence

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing!
Your comment about Aborigines avoiding certain areas got me curious and I was wondering if you knew any more about their lore/legends?

#26 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostMorrigan, on 23 August 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing!
Your comment about Aborigines avoiding certain areas got me curious and I was wondering if you knew any more about their lore/legends?

Morrigan, there are many legends that come from the Aborigines, I have only been in Australia for 10 years and my husband is not of Aboriginal descent, however because of his job (and where we live), he interacts with a lot of Aboriginal groups and communities :) I don't know any specific legends, but what I know about the groups in this area is that there are some areas they have been avoiding for thousand of years and still do to this day as they believe there are bad spirits and creatures. This really gets me thinking, if there are areas they specifically avoid, I believe that there is possibly something there.... they used to be very much in touch with nature. I will ask my husband some good legends and I will post them asap! Got me curious too now :)

#27 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Wow... Vave, over 700 views! This thread is about ready to go viral.   :)
Here's another 'Scream' account that I came across... sounds similar to your husbands experience

I am not the one that experienced this account... I'm just sharing..!
About 11 years ago, myself and two friends went to Salt Fork, Ohio to shoot our guns and camp out. My one friend Bryan's uncle owned some property out there and said we were allowed to use it for camping. Salt Fork is very rural, and heavily wooded. At the time of our visit there was only one store in the whole area. The shop was cleverly named "General Store".

We stopped in to buy some hot dogs and sodas. The elderly woman behind the counter had a big grin on her face as she said "You boys looking for Bigfoot?" We laughed this off, and shook our heads no. We had no idea of the history of Bigfoot activity in the area.

Brian's uncle's property was deep in the woods. There was an old rusty mobile home which we did not have access to. There was just a firepit, and a wooden picnic table that we could use. We fired off rounds for hours until it became dark. We then got a fire going and roasted some hot dogs. It was very late, and we were all sitting around the fire telling stories and eating hot dogs, when all of a sudden a very loud scream came out of the dark woods. This scream was so loud that I could feel the vibrations of the sound wave. It was similar to being at a concert and being too close to the speakers.

The scream only lasted for about 2 seconds, but it was loud and scary enough that we all grabbed our guns, and ran back to the car. We sat in the car with the doors locked for the rest of the night until the sun came up. All three of us were visibly frightened by the noise. This sound was far too loud to have been a human, and this was not from any local known wildlife.

In the morning we packed up our things and drove out of Salt Fork. The three of us have lost touch since that incident, but we never spoke of it afterwards.

I had almost forgotten about it completely until a few years ago, when I saw that an episode of "Finding Bigfoot" had been filmed entirely in Salt Fork, Ohio. I am not saying that I saw or heard a "Bigfoot". But I heard something that was loud enough, scary enough, and angry enough to make 3 guys who were armed, and who do not scare easily, run in fear. I have no evidence video or otherwise, only my memory.

Anyone else know of Salt Fork and its history of strange occurrences?

#28 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Over 700 views - oh wow!!!! I didn't even notice haha!!! That's a lot :D

Jim, your experience sounds terrifying and it appears to be very similar to what had happened to my husband!! That's why I never go deep in the woods haha, you never know... Very curious to read if anyone had odd occurrences in that same area in Ohio, if the General Store lady had mentioned Bigfoot, there may be some truth behind that??

#29 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

It is a scary account... but it wasn't me that experienced it. I don't even know the people involved. :)

#30 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

Oh gosh! I haven't read the first row properly!!! :confused0068: :confused0068:  Sorry about that - I think I may need some coffee now haha! That's what lack of sleep does to you when you have two young kids!!  :anim_63:  Still though... would love to hear about any experiences in that area :) :) !!

#31 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

Easy mistake to make..... I went ahead and added another line to make it clear that it's not my experience.  :)

#32 Morrigan

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

View Postvave82, on 23 August 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

I will ask my husband some good legends and I will post them asap! Got me curious too now :)

Nice, I'm looking forward to them!

#33 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostMorrigan, on 24 August 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

Nice, I'm looking forward to them!

Here is a link I found! :) My husband mentioned this legend to me a few times, I rather put the link as it's explained much better haha.

http://www.downthund...tain---Cooktown

This is about 3.5 hours drive north of where I live, they are quite a spectacular yet a creepy sight... A bit off topic in this thread perhaps, will open a thread when I gather a few more legends!! :) :)

#34 Morrigan

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for finding that, it was a very interesting read. I was surprised that the legend seems so reason, him having a revolver and a torch. Scary story, I certainly wouldn't have dared to go in but to be in honest, if I was him I would've brought at least two torches! (I already brought 3 last time I went hiking behind my house at night lol)

Why do you guys think so many people never returned? Is it really some unknown creature or could it just be a really dangerous area for some other but more well known reasons? E.g. more poisonous flora/fauna? What about the fact that animals and birds avoid the area, any other more natural explanation for that come to mind? Those magnetic disturbances could have some scientific reason after all.

What could the "crying, lamenting, loud thumps and curious extraterrestrial music" be? The night Danny and Ivan spent camping in that area sure sounds creepy.

"It began shortly after the earliest white settlement." makes me wonder if it was maybe just because the new arrivals didn't know how to deal with the deadly unknown fauna and flora. Also, it annoyed me that they never said how Harry Page died. I liked the listing of possible natural causes at the end though.

#35 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hello Morrigan! :) About the many people not returned, I dare say it's because of the dangerous terrain. I believe there are many openings and caves and it's easy to get lost or injured, even climbing up the large rocks might results in slipping and falling. On top of that, it's a quite remote area and there aren't too many people walking over that way (if none at all), there is no mobile reception and there are many snakes out and about (even highly poisonous ones). I would say... lack of common sense might be an issue!! I am unsure about birds avoiding the area, but my guess is that, due to those mountains made of rocks only, there really is no vegetation, no water, etc. so maybe there is nothing for the birds to eat or nest on. I wouldn't know what to say about the music, other than maybe an aboriginal community in the vicinity? It's a vast area and very quiet, sound can travel quite far. But just guesses! I guess the Aboriginals avoided the area as they knew it's dangerous and the white settlers just thought they were... invincible! Totally agree with you on that! :) But I tell you what, looking at those mountains gives me the shivers! They are very ominous and dark... fascinating :) And I always believe there is some truth behind all those Aboriginal legends somewhere....

#36 Morrigan

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Really good guesses though! Good point about sound carrying far..when you live in a city you often forget that x) They probably explain most occurrences and then there is probably that grain of truth that you mentioned :) Yep, the pictures I found on google certainly look dark and fascinating.

#37 EmberEnglish

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Homestuck, animation, webcomics, art, tumblring

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:31 AM

Wow, interesting story. It reminds me of the time my girlfriend went on a tour to some kind of 'haunted' forest in China and she heard an ear piercing scream.

#38 LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

My wifes brother, her dad and I are all deer hunters.  We have all been for 30+ years.  We had one deer lease for almost 20 years before the guy sold the property (here in TX).  we all had radios to talk to each other when we hunt since we hunted on a large ranch.  We had been hunting there for over 15 years.  One morning when it was still dark, we all went our separate ways to hunt in our deer blinds.  I had just got into my blind when my bro-in-law was already calling on the radio and sounded completely out of breath and scared.  He was talking fast and loud.  He wanted to know if we had heard that woman scream?  I had heard nothing nor had his dad.  We were 100's of yards apart (me and him about 600-700 yds apart by the crow flies.

He said he heard it when he was not far from his blind and again after he ran to his blind and got in.  He swore it sounded just like a woman.  he only heard it twice and did not want to get back out of the blind in the dark.  Turns out that a screech owl can and does sound exactly like that.  We never heard it again.  But, we had seen owls out there a number of times.  It had to be that...
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com