10 replies to this topic

#1 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Police, FireDept, Medical are made more "sensitive" by life and death situations and therefore can make a viable contribution to paranormal investigations?

They know what protocol is.

What do you think?  It's a pretty broad topic so no holds are bared on thoughts about it.  I don't believe this to be a right/wrong topic.
My Signature
Find an old place with history, with people and learn all its nuances.

#2 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

It's quite possible they are a bit more sensitive. All the investigative teams, that I know about, have at least one first responder on board. Be it a Police Officer, Fireman, EMT, Paramedic, or Doctor.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#3 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure that blanket statement works with ER's, Police etc as being any more sensitive. Many of them shut their emotions (or try to) to keep their own sanity. They separate their jobs from their home lives and aren't
always successful. If a police officer was to view humanity by all the arrests, misconducts and atrocities during the job, could it not affect his view in the overall world in an undesirable way?

Just One Example:

During the David Parker Ray case, a female FBI investigator responsible for sketching "the toy box" spent the better part of three continuous days drawing the manical outlay he tortured his female slaves in. She was praised for her diligence and attention to detail. Unfortunately only a day after her work was done she was found dead via suicide. That case was one of the most vile cases in US criminal history and many feel she couldn't shut out the pain she visually endured. This wasn't isolated either. There are several others including victims left permanently scarred. Turning that off can be a savior but for some it isn't enough.

I'm going to go out on a slight tangent but many vile criminal cases continue to have horrible effects on people well after the case is done. It seems almost as if the cancer continues. Negative attracts negative. Yes I am bound to belief systems through observation.

There are exceptions on both sides but I can't see them being any more sensitive that an empath. I'm not convinced emotions/feelings are a reliable form of investigation. Although I trust gut feelings and do not ignore them generally. JMO.

Edited by EVP, 01 October 2017 - 03:00 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#4 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

I have heard plenty of stories from nurses and police officers who comment on their experiences with the paranormal - i often feel that there are certain types of people who are drawn to these jobs and they take the role as a caretaker for people passing over, or for solving cases that need a resolution.
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#5 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 01 October 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

It's quite possible they are a bit more sensitive. All the investigative teams, that I know about, have at least one first responder on board. Be it a Police Officer, Fireman, EMT, Paramedic, or Doctor.

Do you remember the retired police officer that visited here over the past 2 years.  At least I think he was retired.  He spotted a big foot when he was young and did some work for a university by interviewing such reports.

He also investigated haunted places on the side.  He hasn't been back in quite awhile.

I don't know of one investigative unit in our area.  Since Triple Goddess closed down after 30 years in business, there's no where you can readily find one here.
My Signature

#6 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,693 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

I think you're talking about OffDutyCop
My Signature
Posted Image

#7 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostEVP, on 01 October 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

I'm not sure that blanket statement works with ER's, Police etc as being any more sensitive. Many of them shut their emotions (or try to) to keep their own sanity. They separate their jobs from their home lives and aren't
always successful. If a police officer was to view humanity by all the arrests, misconducts and atrocities during the job, could it not affect his view in the overall world in an undesirable way?

Just One Example:

During the David Parker Ray case, a female FBI investigator responsible for sketching "the toy box" spent the better part of three continuous days drawing the manical outlay he tortured his female slaves in. She was praised for her diligence and attention to detail. Unfortunately only a day after her work was done she was found dead via suicide. That case was one of the most vile cases in US criminal history and many feel she couldn't shut out the pain she visually endured. This wasn't isolated either. There are several others including victims left permanently scarred. Turning that off can be a savior but for some it isn't enough.

I'm going to go out on a slight tangent but many vile criminal cases continue to have horrible effects on people well after the case is done. It seems almost as if the cancer continues. Negative attracts negative. Yes I am bound to belief systems through observation.

There are exceptions on both sides but I can't see them being any more sensitive that an empath. I'm not convinced emotions/feelings are a reliable form of investigation. Although I trust gut feelings and do not ignore them generally. JMO.

Thank you, EVP, for responding.    I don't know.  The first thing I thought of when considering this was how do you report an "outside of the normal" experience?   How many First Responders can vent that without calling their integrity into question?  How many experience PSI on the job site?  And where do they go from there?  Is it a one time occurrence.  And what was it?  Multiple experiences?    Is it something that they can rely upon...instinct..intuition..psi?  Still thinking about it.

Thank you.  And you too, Mac!!

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 02 October 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

I think you're talking about OffDutyCop

Wasn't OffDutyCop a mod?  This man wasn't.  He traveled around and took pictures of reputed haunted sites with his wife and posted them here.  Then he talked some and then he took off.  Isn't that the way it goes down,
My Signature

#8 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

View Postearthlydelites, on 01 October 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

I have heard plenty of stories from nurses and police officers who comment on their experiences with the paranormal - i often feel that there are certain types of people who are drawn to these jobs and they take the role as a caretaker for people passing over, or for solving cases that need a resolution.

That's possible earthlydelites.  I think that there has to be passion involved with your work or you might as well be looking for another job.  My sister died of brain cancer a couple of years ago and I had the opportunity to discuss with her caregiver what she had witnessed while caring for others who were terminally ill.   She had a lot to say.  Like no one had ever asked her before?  Probably not.  I'm beginning to believe that the paranormal is 100%, part of the human condition.

Thanks for responding.
My Signature

#9 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostMenet, on 02 October 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Do you remember the retired police officer that visited here over the past 2 years.  At least I think he was retired.  He spotted a big foot when he was young and did some work for a university by interviewing such reports.

He also investigated haunted places on the side.  He hasn't been back in quite awhile.

I don't know of one investigative unit in our area.  Since Triple Goddess closed down after 30 years in business, there's no where you can readily find one here.

There's a group in your state called S.P.I.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 02 October 2017 - 06:04 PM.

My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#10 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if people had never asked her before - they probably see people at their most grief stricken where asking them about paranormal experiences might be the last thing on someones mind. But it's something we should definitely ask more often if the opportunity arises!
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

Good morning, earthlydelites.

When you retire, people probably think it's a godsend but after awhile, you wonder what to do with your time?  I'm still thinking about this and I think I'll do some research and come up with a questionnaire.  I'll start small, on the outskirts of the city and see what type of response I get.  Aside from work, the paranormal is the only thing that I've ever been passionate about.  And I've got the time.

Have a GREAT day, people.
My Signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com