Strange Pic In Cemetary

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 platinumblue

platinumblue

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Good music, good food and good friends, chatting to like minded people about life/love/everything else, with a good dose of the paranormal.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Our team captured this image on our way out of a cemetary we investigated some time ago.  We thought it would only be a snapshot of a neglected part of the cemetary with some scattered gravestones.

The cemetary was used during World War 1 and 2.  Many graves date back to the early 1900's and earlier.

Any thoughts and opinions as to what this might be?

Camera used was a Hewlett Packard Photosmart C945
Dimensions : 2608x1952
resolution : 72 dpi
bit depth   : 24
color representation  : sRGB
shutter speed : 1/60sec
Flash energy     : 1000bcps
Exposure time    : 1/60 sec
Light source   : D55

Posted Image

Triangle Paranormal Investigators - ...the hunt for the afterlife

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm not seeing anything.  I see lights, reflective things (particulate or bugs or far-ish reflectors), a gravestone...  what are you talking about and have you been back during the daytime to recreate the shot (something I do and highly recommend for weird night shots... I learned that early on with a headstone that one wouldn't think was reflective but was indeed).

ETA:  The "what are you talking about" is not "are you crazy" but rather "which object would you like us to examine".

Edited by Tantric Kitten, 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm seeing city lights, trees in the distance.
the thing in the middle looks like a grave stone, or maybe a tree stump/fence post. (particularly since there seem to be smaller stubs in a line coming up to it, as if there used to be an actual fence there.)

things often do look weird in the low light settings on the camera.

#4 platinumblue

platinumblue

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Good music, good food and good friends, chatting to like minded people about life/love/everything else, with a good dose of the paranormal.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Tough crowd :bunny:

View PostTantric Kitten, on 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

...  what are you talking about and have you been back during the daytime to recreate the shot (something I do and highly recommend for weird night shots... I learned that early on with a headstone that one wouldn't think was reflective but was indeed).

Yes that's the next step!  ^_^ Go back during the daytime to re-enact the shot.  Although the "headstone" doesn't look like a reflection...

View Posttrin, on 11 February 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

the thing in the middle looks like a grave stone, or maybe a tree stump/fence post. (particularly since there seem to be smaller stubs in a line coming up to it, as if there used to be an actual fence there.)

things often do look weird in the low light settings on the camera.

Yes they do.  Pretty sure there is no fence, would be weird to erect a fence somewhat in the middle of the cemetary.

Yes, I am referring to as you put it, the stump-shaped-piece-of-fence-headstone which looks to me like woman, hehe.

Doesn't it look like a face?  Could be just me...

Posted Image

#5 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

With your stated age of the graveyard, (Many graves date back to the early 1900's and earlier.), I think this likely to be an isolated gravestone worn by time. There is a very old (Civil War Era) graveyard here in town that has many similiar shaped stones. A good catch though as it does look strange, and you probably didn't know you snapped that shot in that direction at the time. Don't get discouraged, you might get one no one can explain on of these days or nights! keep investigating. Howard  Carter didn't discover the tomb of King Tut by listening to people declare that there was no unlooted tomb in the Valley of the Kings, or by giving up. May you do the same.
Who you gonna call?

#6 JamesRob

JamesRob

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation (obviously), movies, baseball, hockey, and I do manage to steal some time to read.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Looks like a headstone to me. We also have a cemetary with very old graves and sometimes people made headstones out of whatever rock they could manage to move to the right spot. These usually don't hold up to the elements as well as the professionally made markers. I'd still go back to make sure, but it's most likely just a convenient shape in low light.

Edited by JamesRob, 12 February 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#7 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I saw what you were pointing out right away.  It does very much look like a girl in old fashioned clothes.  Definitely need to go back and reinact this one :)
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#8 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 12 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Don't get discouraged, you might get one no one can explain on of these days or nights! keep investigating. Howard  Carter didn't discover the tomb of King Tut by listening to people declare that there was no unlooted tomb in the Valley of the Kings, or by giving up. May you do the same.
I just wanted to say that I think this is one of the most positive things I've ever read here.

Bravo to you Mortimer!
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#9 platinumblue

platinumblue

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostClarinaGStudy, on 12 February 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

I saw what you were pointing out right away.  It does very much look like a girl in old fashioned clothes.  Definitely need to go back and reinact this one :)

Thank you!  Finally someone seeing what I "seem" to see, :wallbash:   Same "age" clothing too huh?  Weird..

View PostMortimerGraves, on 12 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Don't get discouraged, you might get one no one can explain on of these days or nights! keep investigating. Howard  Carter didn't discover the tomb of King Tut by listening to people declare that there was no unlooted tomb in the Valley of the Kings, or by giving up. May you do the same.

Thank you too!  Very kind words.

Thank you everyone who has contributed thus far.  Appreciate it.

Well, I went back to help clear things up.  This is basically what I got.  This time I had my trusty travel companion cam with me.

Fujifilm Finepix AX500
Dimensions : 4288X2864
resolution : 72 dpi / 14 mega pixel
bit depth   : 24
color representation  : sRGB
shutter speed : 1/91sec
Exposure time    : 1/91 sec

Showing the snaps on top of each other, looks like I might be standing just a LITTLE to the left from where my fellow investigator stood that night.

Posted Image

In the night-shot, it seems as though this "lady" is sitting on a pile of dirt.  Funny enough during the day this heap can be seen.  Furthermore, the "face" when zoomed in looks pretty interesting.

Your thoughts in light of the day shot? (lol, pun)

#10 JamesRob

JamesRob

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation (obviously), movies, baseball, hockey, and I do manage to steal some time to read.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Posting still giving me fits.

Yeah, looks like a little to the left and maybe a little farther back. I don't know. Assuming someone wasn't having fun with a doll or there was something else that was removed you might have something there. It's a shame it's not a little more clear and just out of reach of the light.

#11 platinumblue

platinumblue

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostJamesRob, on 12 February 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yeah, looks like a little to the left and maybe a little farther back. I don't know. Assuming someone wasn't having fun with a doll or there was something else that was removed you might have something there. It's a shame it's not a little more clear and just out of reach of the light.

Indeed.  This is actually the first "something" we got.  When I reached the site and took the snap today, my eyes lit up like a little boy's in a candy store.  "Could I finally have caught a glimpse of a spirit/ghost?!".  And yes, I wish we took 10 more snaps that night...  Wonder if she would've "posed" for a few.

Forgot to add this image of the pile of dirt next to the grave (close up).  Maybe she was sitting there visiting a husband/father/son or lover's grave...

Thanx for your comment! @JamesRob

Edited by platinumblue, 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well, there has been ten years between the night shot and the day shot ( according to the EXIF data ). Maybe whatever was there has crumbled into the pile of stones and dirt we see there now. Or maybe something was moved. The proportions seem to be off for anything humanoid,  to me anyway.

Edited by Snowlord, 12 February 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#13 platinumblue

platinumblue

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi @Snowlord  I was hoping you would stop by my thread seeing as you are the official Photo Expert!  :yahoo:

Yes I see what you mean... The dates were never set on the cameras (not too smart a move) although both were bought late 2012
HP photosmart Picture Date : 1/1/2003 9:51 pm
Fujifilm Finepix Picture Date : 2/12/2013 5:20AM
Pictures were t aken 16 days apart.
My Fujifilm also states the date as 5:20 AM which should actually be 5:20 PM, :anim_63:

View PostSnowlord, on 12 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

The proportions seem to be off for anything humanoid,  to me anyway.

I noticed that last night.  So far all I was thinking was "ghost of a woman",  but the body doesn't seem "right", and the more I stare at the thing I can see legs, and then some part of the image could even resemble a claw when you look long enough.  :Picture 562:

@Snowlord, don't you or anyone else perhaps own photo editing software which could maybe change the contrast or enhance it?  Would be interesting to see what comes out other than just trying to zoom in.

Thanx for the comment!

#14 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Well. the day shot does add a new wrinkle, doesn't it? BTW, did you see the Fact or Faked episode where a similar shaped figure, much taller, walks across a guy's lawn? They couldn't debunk it by anything they tried, and felt there was no deliberate fraud. Curious.
Who you gonna call?

#15 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postplatinumblue, on 13 February 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

... @Snowlord, don't you or anyone else perhaps own photo editing software which could maybe change the contrast or enhance it?  Would be interesting to see what comes out other than just trying to zoom in ...

Yes ... and I tried my best, but the image was just too dark to get much more out of it. Do you have a higher resolution image? .. or is the one posted the original?

16 days is still a reasonable length of time for someone to have moved something or knocked over something that might have been piled up at the time ( Warning! .. Sceptical Viewpoint!  :)  ).

Remember to always keep your camera set at maximum resolution settings,  and keep shooting.

Anyway ... this was the best I could get from the posted image. Adjusted images are followed by links to the same image with attempted noise reduction ...

Posted Image

http://i22.photobuck..._filtered02.jpg

Posted Image

http://i22.photobuck..._filtered01.jpg

Posted Image

http://i22.photobuck..._filtered01.jpg

#16 mat k

mat k

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Ok, this is my thoughts.

Skeptical i may be at times but i have looked at this pic, and tbh i see the figure of a lady with long flowing hair, sat on something that isnt there [visible] but looking towards the gravestones behind her, to me she is facing away from the camera with her hand on her knee.

I have no other thoughts on this apart from the obvious but thats how it looks to me.

Edited by mat k, 13 February 2013 - 10:38 AM.

We Fall so we can pick ourselves up again

#17 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

You know, in the brightened version Snowlord posted - it honestly does look like a woman kneeling down. Weird.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#18 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,972 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Looks to me like it could have been a rock, or even an old, jagged stump of a tree that has since been removed or just rotted away
Posted Image

#19 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Agreed that it's entirely possible that a physical object (headstone, tree stump, etc) could have been there at the time of the initial photo and moved by the time the daytime comparison shot was taken a couple weeks later.  But whatever the case, it's one of the more interesting captures I've seen in a while and enough to make me go "hmmm..."

#20 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

It still looks like a headstone to me no matter what is going on.

I postulate that it was one of those old-fashioned, marble, "tombstone-shaped" headstones -- you know, the flat with the rounded top and carving on the front -- that had a chunk out of it and staining/lichen on it causing the specific shape we see.  It was then removed between the two shots for repair, because it was knocked over or because the grave was moved for some reason and the dirt we see is part of said process of removal/repair/whatever.

But, no, with the photos we have we really can't know for sure what happened and I suppose it could be a capture but a very strange-looking one (I see the lady shape-ish when it's pointed out... but I can't see anything but a headstone for an object).

Can you contact the cemetery caretakers and have a sort of sneaky conversation about what's going on out there that might include a headstone being removed?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users