7 replies to this topic

#1 MDH

MDH

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:23 AM

Click here!

Well - I've been to the place. Honestly, it's the most detailed building I've ever been in. Much of the castle interior is covered with very exquisite woodwork - and many stairs to climb! The place gives you quite a mixture of impressions as you walk through it. The stain glass windows are just incredible.

Now, onto the details. The Dunsmuir couple moved to Canada in the 18th century with hardly any money. However - as time progressed, so did they. Robert Dunsmuir had gotten heavily involved with the Vancouver Island mining business, and was one of the wealthiest men in the Country. By the time he had a full family, he had gained quite a healthy amount of money, was heavily involved in provincial politics, and decided to have an incredible castle built. Possibly one of the most expensive homes on the West coast of North America. However, he never got to live in it. He died before construction was ever completed, and new designers were hired by his wife, Joan Dunsmuir. That is why many rooms of the Craigdarroch Castle appear different from the rest of the building. In 1908, years after her Husband, Joan herself died. Nobody could afford the castle as a personal home, so eventually it became a hospital, an office building, and a building used for band practice and private meetings to name a few out of many things. In 1969 the building was adopted by a society dedicated to restoring and retaining historical sites.

As for the spirits themselves, many have met them. A large amount of the activity was during the castle's interior renovations. Unkown spirits were generating apparitions, there was the ghost of a crying child, various sounds and feelings were heard and sensed. Objects were also being moved.

Today, the castle is still haunted, and people can still sense the spirits there. I have never had any dramatic expiriences with them, but I did feel a male spirit "analyzing" me as I looked over the beautiful woodwork in the 1st floor dining room. I can't confirm anything though, the feeling was ever so slight. Other recorded incidents include an alive piano that starts playing whenever the castle is closed, a Woman in a grey-white dress that seems to have some sort of connection to the Ball Room, and areas that have spirits who have a tendancy to get physical with people (Interestingly enough, mostly around places where patients were kept when the Castle was a hospital). Occasionally apparitions can still be seen, wandering about the castle in a manner that suggests they're just regular residents at the home.

Anyway, if anyone is interested... Discuss this location!

Edited by MDH, 05 March 2005 - 12:28 AM.

#2 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:36 PM

I think I've read about this place before. At one time didn't it used to be a military school or something of the sort? It is a very beautiful building though!! And almost in my backyard!! (Well, sort of!!)

#3 dolphinqueen

dolphinqueen

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:15 AM

A hospital..hmm..A lot of people die in hospitals, maybe thats why its so active.
Maybe a military school too..I really don't know, it's to far from my house  wink.gif
user posted image

#4 MDH

MDH

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Mar 5 2005, 09:36 PM)
I think I've read about this place before. At one time didn't it used to be a military school or something of the sort? It is a very beautiful building though!! And almost in my backyard!! (Well, sort of!!)

View Post

What?!

Where are you from again?...

Nanaimo here. I go to Victoria all the time. And that Castle is just plain beautiful. I just love being there.

#5 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

Calgary, not exactly in my back yard, but it *is* a lot closer than some of the hauntings I read about! smile.gif

#6 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

Wow, I can't blame the ghosts for sticking around.  I'd love to call that castle home.  It's absolutely gorgeous!

Kate

#7 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:07 AM

It has a sort of 'Disney Look' about it. Absoloutley stunning!!!

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#8 robtinbc

robtinbc

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hey There,

Rob here from http://www.vanisleparanormal.ca/,  firstly thanks to MDH for the site promo,  my website stats show alot of people clicked from this forum to my site so thanks again.

Re Craigdarroch,  great place,  alot og history,  there is some info in my site blog and also vihauntings button.

Occasionally the wife and I do a haunted whirlwind tour of Victoria in the car visiting...:

Craigdarroch - drive around it,  talk to the security guard etc

Pioneer Square

The Gorge Hospital - (Elevators known to open and close on thier own and  patience talk about a nurse who came and tended to them and made them feel better when none had been in) maybe they should rename it Kingdom Hospital,  Point Ellice house  (you can roll under the gates easily,  I dont condone tresspassing but my wife threw one of my shoes over the gates once!!)

Victoria Golf course - I had an email from a very credible witness who say the he say he say the apparition of Doris Gravlin except her face was blurred,  the rest was in fine detail.  I think she died of head trauma or strangulation so it fits.  Also had an email from a distand relative trying to find footage of a golfer playing a hole when a white mist  moves by the camera in a few frames

Point Ellice Bridge - Bridge collaped and lighs have been seen above and in the water under the bridge.

Todd House

Sometimes Bastion Square - apparently the haunted alley is being cleaned up as its seen as a tourist attraction what with it being haunted.  The maratime museum here is haunted as it was the site of the gallows.

Good drive on a moonlit might when its high and bright.

Take care all,

Rob Turner
http://www.vanisleparanormal.ca/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users