• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

So I've got spooky stuff running on the Travel channel while I'm knitting stuff (making monsters to sell at a convention) So one of the shows they're going "there are these demons coming through the mirror that exploded and the *expert* told us that if you put your finger on a mirror and there's a space between your finger and the reflection that mirror is a gate that bad things can come through." (paraphrase) and of course the mirrror they replaced it with has this trait...

UH ya'll know that most modern mirrors are glass or acrylic with a silver/ metallic coating on the back, so OF COURSE there will be a gap between your finger and it's reflection.

Heck if you are in a fitting room or bathroom and you put a finger on the mirror and your finger is touching the mirror, you have a two way mirror and someone on the other side could be watching you.

ZEESH, Why get people panicked about normal everyday things?  (I have lost track of them, but I used to know someone who kept moving because they would take flash photos in dark rooms, and then be afraid of the Ghosts following them that were the orbs.... never mind that they were ordinary dust orbs.  They couldn't stay in one place for more than a few weeks and kept breaking leases to "escape the ghosts".
Apparently this was based on things they learned off tv shows.

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

Interesting post. I don't watch the travel channel but would have like too. I am not sure about all their claims :fright:    but makes you want to put your finger on the mirror in the change rooms just in case! :good:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:51 AM

I made sure to teach my wife and daughters the mirror finger test
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#4 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Uh what? Two way mirrors are generally made with glass in front as well, you can even make your own very cheaply that way :yes: What makes a "two way mirror" two way is one side has light and the other does not. If you want to check for two-wayness you need to turn off the light on your side and put a flashlight up against the mirror then turn it on and see if there is some creepy guy there or a room or something.

IF you want to check this out for yourself, just take a piece of silvered mylar ... "space blankets" are great :thumbs: but food wrappers like from pop-tarts will work too :yes: Anywho these things are basically two way mirrors, so look through them at something bright and viola two way mirror.

Incidentally how "silvered" they are is what determines how much light gets through, very little silvering is used for creepy two way viewing while high silvering is what is used for eclipse sun gazing.

As for the demon portal thang ... shouildn't it be the other way around? Nothing in front of the mirror lets carp through ... this will of course mean pop-tart wrappers are demonic portals ... which does make a kinda sense :yes:
- siguie -

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:17 AM

As always siguie; science with a laugh. Thank you next time I have a pop tart I am going to give it a try :D
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:17 AM

pop tarts are the devil hahaha
It's in the trees, it's coming!