Most Liked Content

#586046 Photo Making The Rounds On The Internet

Posted kevinscan on 09 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

I found some examples of camera blur just for interest.
Posted Image

A man standing still at the top of an escalator while other people are getting off, long exposure.

Posted Image

A shopping mall with   long exposure, almost everyone on the stairs is blurred

Just examples for comparison..

#585599 Kristen's Pictures

Posted Tarinya on 30 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

I don't think anyone is trying to insinuate that you aren't having experiences, but, I do feel like you're trying too hard to validate those experiences with photos. Some of the pics, I haven't been able to make out what I'm even looking at and others I just don't see anything. Photo's are difficult when dealing with something paranormal. It's very rare to actual catch anything, but if you WANT it to be something your mind usually will find what you want to see.
At some point I think you have to focus on what you're FEELING and the experiences you are having and try to deal with those. Though fear, grief, anxiety, unhappiness, etc can all lead us to think things are happening that maybe aren't.
Ultimately, everything posted here is our opinions of what you're sharing with us. We aren't there with you, we don't see and hear and feel the things that you do. And many of us are extremely skeptical. We're always looking for the natural, logical explanations.

#585563 Kristen's Pictures

Posted Vlawde on 30 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostKristin, on 29 September 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

I do want an explanation for all these photos the problem is with the explanations that the last site I was on didn't make any sense. Plus the people on that site were I am sorry to say very rude. I know these photos don't make sense but I know they are what they are. I just want to understand how and maybe it is explainable and fear made me see things. IDK that's why I keep trying to find some kind of answer.

I tend to agree with Lorac. At least to my eyes, there is nothing out of the ordinary in the photos so far. We have glare, reflections, dark lighting etc, which are perfect to make one try to see something that may not be there.No one can say there may not be activity since it happened to you, not them. But you might be trying too hard to try and validate your experiences by trying to find something in your photos

#586043 Photo Making The Rounds On The Internet

Posted The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again on 09 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

i think a healthy discussion like this really adds to any forum and should continue.It is a good picture worth hearing all possible explanations about.

#586680 What's In Your Bag?

Posted EVP on Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Preliminary Walkthroughs

I will keep this list mostly for solo exploration. Working in a team environment allows much more complicated setups for audio/video monitoring especially when you have the cooperation of others.

Preliminary investigations/walkthroughs are very important for a multitude of reasons and preferably performed during the day. This gives you the opportunity of meeting the proprietor/homeowner and discuss at greater length experiences that might not have been mentioned either through an email or by the phone. Walking through the establishment also gives you a better understanding of the layout and possibly a game plan for the investigation to potential areas you might want to monitor more thoroughly. Make sure you audio record during the walk-through.

Although my original topic mentioned solo as in “What’s In My Bag”, I cannot stress enough the importance investigating in pairs in case of a collective experience and more importantly from a safety aspect.

Equipment in No Order of Preference

Lights

Flashlights are indispensable in dark environments and having multiple sources of light are a necessity in the event of a failure. I am particularly fond of headlamps because it will keep your hands free for other equipment.

Notepad & Pen

This is a carryover of old school methods but they are just as important now as they were 20 years ago. Logging events with a timestamp could collaborate a mutually shared experience. Pen & paper can also be it effective in location logging when one moves around the establishment.

Audio Equipment

Thankfully, digital audio recorders have been much more affordable than the yesteryears and having multiple recorders allow you the freedom of monitoring several locations at one time. I use several different types but a quality recorder can be found for sixty dollars. Olympus seems be very popular.

I also bring an analog cassette recorder (Marantz PMD 430) along with a pair of dynamic microphones but that is not practical nowadays for most as quality tapes are now astronomical in price.

*Note* In my exploration the single most often found evidence is audio.

Cellphone

To place calls, obtain weather data & general information if need be but I turn the phone off when I am actively investigating. If you are monitoring with AC EMF meters, the cell towers cycle periodically which will spike your meter.

EMF Meters

I use both AC and DC/Magnetic meters and prefer the Tri-Field Natural for anomalous monitoring. AC meters are useful for manmade field that could affect humans. The Tri-Field Natural is unique as it zeros out and monitors fluctuations from a base reading. Unfortunately, this meter is a stationary meter and is not meant for one in motion.

*Note* I do not consider meters a necessity and have reduced their use primarily for readings at the start of an investigation and at the end. The exception would be when the atmospheric conditions seem to change and looking for a validation.

Digital Camera

There are mixed trains of thought about using a camera for evidence collection. I see them useful for documenting but I always have one available at an investigation. Including a tripod and remote trigger will aid in low light conditions removing camera shake.

You do not have to spend a bundle on camera equipment for paranormal use. In fact, I am using an old Canon T2i that can be found cheaply on eBay. I would recommend an APS-C sensor for lower light conditions. This will remove artifact commonly found in camera with sensor sizes proven inadequate. I am a Canon fan boy but the best value right now is a used Nikon D7000. It is great under low light conditions with an abundance of features found in higher end cameras.

Film cameras are for the brave.I am not one of those regardless of having a SLR background.

Posted Image

Handheld Video Camera

Definitely a mainstay for validation. Nothing beats visually a video camera capable of producing 30 fps to record an investigation. Accessories IR boosters can be a benefit but there is not any crime leaving the lights on either. Performing investigations in the dark can be interesting but not a necessity. The media loves the photo reflective eyes produced in dark environments with IR for drama.

Sony has now discontinued all of the Sony Handi-cams that were consumer grade with IR. Unfortunately, they hold a patent on the technology and other manufacturers are limited in usage. If thrifty, one can find analog and some HD version on eBay still.

Spare Batteries

I only use rechargeable Panasonic Eneloops because of the significant cost on throwaways on long term. They are consistent and do not suffer from failure found on low-end batteries. They will also save your equipment from damage. Unless you remove store bought batteries, you stand a chance in bursting if left in for long durations.

Folding Chair

This was learned from experience in several ways. Sitting quietly during a “dark vigil” cannot always be obtained by parking yourself on the floor. Less noise equals less contamination in audio.

Most importantly, I witnessed a huge no no when a tired investigator decided to sit on some historic furniture and yes, something broke. That was the real catch-point for importance. ALWAYS bring a folding chair when investigating historic locations.

Other Considerations

• The most important piece of equipment is a logical, critical mind. Make sure you are well rested.
• Always bring food and beverages.
• Ensure you have eaten prior to investigations. You need to stay focused and not worry about your stomach.
• Walkie-talkies if you plan on roaming with another investigator.

I carry most of this equipment in 3 bags. Equipment requirements will change when working in a team environment.

Most of what I have written is redundant. Vlawde did an excellent job of outlining essentially the same I have. He was thorough and detailed which is an absolute being a consummate investigator. I also appreciate others willing to contribute their valuable time and post in this thread. Thank you all!!

Happy Hauntings All!

#586666 Trolls, Fairies And Other Mythical Creatures

Posted EVP on 18 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

The original image was 160 pixels x 120 pixels. I have enlarged it 700% using pixel enlargement software to 1120 pixels x 840 pixels. Unfortunately with such poor resolution and size even as good as pixel enlargement software has become, extensive pixelation and artifact takes place. This image perfectly illustrates how pareidolia can be the source of confusion.

Posted Image

#586478 Your World

Posted Jim@GhostStudy on 15 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

EVP, your photo captures are amazing. And that flower is like the most magnificent capture of a rose I have ever seen in my life... and I really mean that.

Thank you for a such a rare treat in this early morning hour (3:00 am).

Posted Image

#586286 Hi I Like Taking Pictures

Posted Mr.747 on 13 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Posted Image

#585996 Photo Making The Rounds On The Internet

Posted EVP on 08 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 08 October 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'm not convinced it's long exposure.

Vlawde... did this come from another forum you visit? Or a website? What are they saying in the comments there?

Chances are the image was taken with a small sensor cellphone that requires essentially outdoor light to properly expose without dragging the shutter unless the subject matter is close to a fired flash which it is not. 95% of all images are now captured with cellphones. BTW- EXIF data has preserved one piece of data suggesting the EXIF was formulated by Motorola. Thus definitely a cellphone.

Wikipedia defines long exposure as follows:

Long-exposure, time-exposure, or slow-shutter photography involves using a long-duration shutter speed to sharply capture the stationary elements of images while blurring, smearing, or obscuring the moving elements. Long-exposure photography captures one element that conventional photography does not: an extended period of time.

This image definitely qualifies as a long exposure.

I recently mentioned that people's memory for detail are exponentially affected as time passes.  I have no doubt with the amount of activity viewed clearly in this image, recall of details are compromised. Another fact that many courtroom testimonies are thrown out of court because of huge inaccuracies with detail and timelines.

Just because someone says there wasn't a little girl in the room at the time unfortunately doesn't make it fact. There are still plenty of people who believe the world is flat (flatliners) but it doesn't make it truth.

I conclude with a high level of certainty that a long shutter was required (camera basics) & memory of all participates was compromised because of excessive activity and a significant lapse of time without documentation.

Always use natural explanations first and once all are exhausted examine what might be left. There is far more in favor of camera function and lack of recall that the "white little girl" is a ghost IMO. There isn't any supportive evidence the image is spiritual in nature.

Jim this dissertation wasn't meant to appear directed at you but the "long exposure" correction was.

#585858 Something Is In My House!

Posted EVP on 05 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostMenet, on 05 October 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Thank you, EVP, for that very warm welcome.  I'm glad to be back and I'm glad that you are here.   I can't think of anyone better to take with them than you when it comes to exploring haunted places.

Can you tell me why ghost hunter's take before and after pictures.  I've never understood it.  Documentation?  There is seldom anything before or after an anomalous capture.  Is it all about lighting?

Thanks Menet!

Can you tell me why ghost hunter's take before and after pictures?  I've never understood it.

Many investigators feel that there is a strong possibility of evidence if only one of the images contains the anomaly. The one frame to their logic suggests a change in conditions. If the preserved anomaly is observed in multiple frames, further investigation of the location can reap a simple explanation if it is a long-standing condition. Phenomena usually is very brief when it manifest although there are exceptions.

Unfortunately, there is faulty logic in that determination unless controls are implemented during the investigation. Even then, there still is possibility of human error. Evidence collection is most often reviewed days later and phenomena is usually detected during the data sifting.

Our team mostly monitors during an investigation from a home base where all investigators are accounted. When we performed dark vigils, we camp out in one location in groups and we documented who, what, where and timestamp. I have seen many an investigations where you have investigators wandering around, creating noise with no documentation supporting their movement. Several days later, the data is reviewed and someone detects phantom footsteps (investigators moving) or anomalous lights (flashlights) caught in video. No one is going to remember without a log that “John & David” were roaming at that time.

I learned early in my tenure the pitfalls of data sifting. If possible, investigations needs to be conducted real-time not days after when our minds can no longer remember miniscule details. There have been plenty of scientific studies in event retention and we become exponentially forgetful in a very short period. We also have difficulty in retelling events after the fact and the more we tell the story, the more it changes. Remember the old game telephone. In fact, criminal testimony from witnesses are most often discredited because of inaccuracies.

A good read is Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries by Benjamin Radford. I must warn you, if you are en-wrapped with strong belief systems with the paranormal, this book will test you and could anger your inner self. Radford is a hardcore skeptic part of the Randi brand and at times very brutal chastising the ghost hunter. I do respect him. He sharpened my critical thinking process during an investigation.

Documentation?

To be more concise, a picture of a dwelling(s), room(s), entrances and hallways that would be included in a report resulting from an investigation. Quite often including an image in a report when describing an event allows a more thorough understanding of a situation described in text.

There is seldom anything before or after an anomalous capture.

As mentioned above, most phenomena is observed only for a brief moment. It is believed the energy needs specific conditions to manifest and lasts typically a fraction of a second before extinguishing like a light bulb being turned off.

I personally have only witnessed phenomena collectively a couple of times but on two occasions, it was not a fraction of a second. The phenomena lasted once for 10 seconds. It is quite possible my perception of time when that took place was misrepresented. When that happens your mind is thrown into a quandary and I can see time being misplaced for a variety of reasons.

Is it all about lighting?

I personally believe controlling lighting during an investigation is crucial. Using off camera lighting for still cameras, video camera is vital unless you enjoy sifting through footage of naturally created orbs created by humans, nature, dog dander caught between the lens and flash used.

We had our surveillance system cameras modified shortly after purchase. IR lights were swarmed around the video lens on each camera. Our technical manager modified the IR lights so they could be turned off with a toggle. We experimented with UV-A (black lights) and with IR panels well away from the cameras to reduce light bounce from the contaminated air.

Another good read on Orbs:

http://ghostgadgets....ledge/orbs.html

In my opinion, most orbs can be explained. Controlling the conditions will reduce the red herrings. There are exceptions but scientists explain it as possibly ball lightning or ignited swamp gas.

I have once observed a self-illuminating orb with a 3-foot long tail meander almost with purpose for several seconds among several tombstones before disappearing. The jury is out on that one event but it was definitely worthy to witness.

#585797 Some Odd/frightening Things Happening In And Outside Of My Home

Posted Vlawde on 04 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

INDRID Cold! ;)

https://northatlanti...e-grinning-man/

He actually is part of the Mothman lore

http://weekinweird.c...an-called-cold/

I had heard about Cold when reading John Keel's book the Mothman Prophecies. It sounds like there actually was someone with that name (or using that name)

#585752 Ghost Orb Outside?

Posted darknesswolf on 03 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

hey guys :)
I passed down the same road where this pic was made.
seems to be just a rooftop through the trees.. so nothing special, sorry!
darn! I really thought I got something this time!
won't stop me from doing further ghost photography :)
and this time, I'll watch out for  rooftops...

#585635 Kristen's Pictures

Posted siguie on 01 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

View Postlorac61469, on 30 September 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

So basically you're saying that you know they're paranormal. Is that what I'm reading?

Because if it's answers you're really looking for I believe we've addressed what the could be, folded pants, motion blur, low light, pixelated photos, reflections.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the word pareidolia?

Definition of pareidolia

:the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern
The scientific explanation for some people is pareidolia, or the human ability to see shapes or make pictures out of randomness. Think of the Rorschach inkblot test.

Actually I think the problem is less pareidolia and more "observer-expectancy effect" basically she knows SOMETHING is going on ... after all there was her childs experience along with her husband and then even her own. Now that she is looking for answers she's taking photos/videos in order to get that and anything not quite right is suspect and being attributed to whatever is happening to her.

This kind of thing is both common and understandable considering the situation :yes:

Kristin, think of this like you are a stalking victim who sees signs/evidence of their stalker all around them. What you see may indeed be correct BUT here we are acting as the police investigators trying to make sure what you present is truly evidence. Because photo and video artifacts are common, once you add in pareidolia and what you expect to see ... well that's where things get complicated. It may be the entity you suspect, it may be multiple entities working together, it may be some other paranormal activity all together or it may be nothing at all :no: We are just trying to be objective and figure out what is what making as few assumptions as possible :yes:

#585452 Kristen's Pictures

Posted lorac61469 on 28 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

Wouldn't the figure you see in the mirror be the photographer? I mean her reflection has to be somewhere.

#585338 Strange Lights....

Posted Vlawde on 26 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

I think many ufo's are our own secret military craft. I don't necessarily buy that the rest are all aliens. I believe there's an interdimensional aspect to them. Possibly some mind messing and illusions too

#586710 What's In Your Bag?

Posted EVP on Today, 02:02 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 20 October 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

I am going to take some time to read it all EVP. :)

Thanks Klainey, it's nice to know I'm not always ignored. LOL :)

#586704 What's In Your Bag?

Posted EVP on Today, 12:07 AM

View PostPIT leader, on 19 October 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

My friends and I are amateur hunters and do it for the experience rather than as a scientific study (although we do take it seriously.) We stick to public places like parks, rather than doing private investigations. I always bring:
  • a digital camera
  • smartphone (can take photos, can be used as a light and is useful if somebody fell in the dark or for any other emergency)
  • 2 flashlights, one operated by batteries and another that you wind up
  • a rune necklace I bought from a stall that apparently protects against evil spirits
  • food and drinks (I always get hungry around midnight, I swear I'm a gremlin haha)
Any significant events during the night are written down in the notes section of my diary as soon as I get home (usually 1:30-2AM) and any photos I believe have potential evidence are uploaded to my laptop the day after.

To be perfectly honest, I have given up private home investigations entirely for several reasons. It becomes increasingly difficult resourcing historical data. I remain unconvinced historical data always has a link to a haunting, although historical findings can sometimes point to avenues that would remain unexplored. The owners sometimes also have a hidden agenda as already mentioned  Some homeowners are looking for answers of relatives passed while others are interested in using a paranormal team as a conversation piece when in fact there is little evidence of any activity. During presentations, audiences identify much easier when a historical location is mentioned instead of Joe’s Garage.

I see you have implemented a more spiritual side to your investigation than myself. I have worked with pagans, mediums, diviners with some very interesting results.

I cannot say I work in a scientific manner because I cannot replicate events with consistency but I do enjoy documenting and looking for clues that will remain unexplained or have an applied natural cause.

Thank you for sharing your words. It is through different approaches in this field we all can grow.

#586688 What's In Your Bag?

Posted PIT leader on Yesterday, 07:43 AM

My friends and I are amateur hunters and do it for the experience rather than as a scientific study (although we do take it seriously.) We stick to public places like parks, rather than doing private investigations. I always bring:

- a digital camera
- smartphone (can take photos, can be used as a light and is useful if somebody fell in the dark or for any other emergency)
- 2 flashlights, one operated by batteries and another that you wind up
- a rune necklace I bought from a stall that apparently protects against evil spirits
- food and drinks (I always get hungry around midnight, I swear I'm a gremlin haha)

Any significant events during the night are written down in the notes section of my diary as soon as I get home (usually 1:30-2AM) and any photos I believe have potential evidence are uploaded to my laptop the day after.

#586683 What's In Your Bag?

Posted Kristin on Yesterday, 06:24 AM

EVP!!  LOL!!! Your suppose to take pics with the cell phone!!!! Not go surfing the web!!!! :)

#586664 Your World

Posted MacCionoadha BeanSidhe on 18 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

I was able to salvage this one I took in 2009. It's looking out of my front door. I just love the sky's colors

Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com