#1 MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Loyd Auerbach Discusses Paranormal Misconceptions

http://paranormal.lo...-misconceptions

LTK: Many teams seek to debunk. What do you think of this practice?
LA: Debunking is not the same thing as looking for other explanations. Debunking comes from an assumption of finding fraud and fakery. That's a different approach than simply looking for all alternative explanations to reported paranormal phenomena, which is the responsibility of every investigator, not simply the team "debunker."
  Amen to that !!!!!
My Signature
Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#2 kvntwvlf

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Rudeness will not be tolerated. This post has nothing to do with Mac's previous situation. You can believe what you like, but personal attacks are not allowed.  ~ Vlawde

#3 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

kvntwvlf - First off, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, please refrain from making personal attacks.  Analysis is welcome, but what you are doing is not.  Consider this your first warning.  Thank you.

Here are the rules for the forum. - http://www.paranorma...showtopic=34936
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#4 MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

New member? One post, must be a trolling

The topic here is  about Loyd AuerbacH - Paranormal Misconceptions. Thanks!

My Signature
Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#5 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

I especially love how the article is saying technology can be good or bad for tracking ghosts.  Makes me wonder if it even works at all at times.  I'm thinking Spirit Box devices are picking up radio signals only...  Thanks for sharing the article, MacQdor!
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#6 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

I've read some of Loyd's books when I first started investigating, some good stuff. He's right about technology, IMO a great deal of the time it doesn't work, or what it does can just be it reacting to normal things, and then investigators attribute the results to ghosts.

I watched the latest Ghosts of Shepherdstown the other night. They assume so many things from flimsy results. IMO they are just guessing and trying to create a narrative for the TV show.
My Signature
Posted Image

#7 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Debunking vs finding explanation. Being sort of semantical to sound intelligent.
I do agree mind you on tech. 80% of it doesn't work, nor is it used properly. Most of our gear we get, is testing. If it isn't tested, then we can't use an opinion of it really.

Ghosts of Sheps, load of bunk. I am sad to see Nick produce such a show.
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#8 MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

I often wonder why the paranormal community doesn't adopt methodologies, formats, best practice, scientific steps to their investigations and more important to their analysis?

Why is the genre as a whole so loosely based?

~ Keith
My Signature

#9 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

I think it depends really. There are a good number of teams that have streamlined process.
But it is much more fun to make everything cool to do

Honestly, the real science community thinks all paranormal research is a joke so those of us that take it seriously, are still scoffed at
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#10 MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Yeah

I agree with that statement about the science community.  They're approval we don't need.  A good"streamlined process" that's effective that been proven to work I think would be a good concept worth adopting. Of course it can be amended and retooled per unique investigation.  But the underlining methodology should be sound, and if agreed on by the community as a whole then adopted.

is it safe to say that a malevolent haunting should be investigated or approached differently than a residual haunting?
and vise versa?
My Signature

#11 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

I believe as a rule each investigation has to be approached on it's own merits, mind you 90% of the investigations, being ressie anyway are a result of attention. That is when you have a status quo style of investigation unfortunately that most teams fall to. But it is important so that the home owner sees the rationale.
However it is when an over enthusiastic medium gets involved and words like portal and vortex are tossed about that everyone is put into a froth and investigation templates go out the door.

But yes.
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Oshawa Ontario Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com