• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:05 AM

I have 4 digital voice recorders that range in quality. I've noticed that I have better luck recording an evp with the cheaper models and worse luck with the more expensive models. It seems that the lower the noise floor the least luck I have. Why is this?
My Signature

#2 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

I know some like to record in MP3 format which is too compressed. Others wav and all that.
I have pretty decent luck. I primarily use 2 recorders.. A Tascam DR 05, which is fairly economical and a Zoom H5. Which is not.
I will admit I have better luck and quality with the zoom as it records simultaneously in different levels
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#3 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

View Postchapsparanormal, on 17 July 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

I know some like to record in MP3 format which is too compressed. Others wav and all that.
I have pretty decent luck. I primarily use 2 recorders.. A Tascam DR 05, which is fairly economical and a Zoom H5. Which is not.
I will admit I have better luck and quality with the zoom as it records simultaneously in different levels
I have a Tascam dr-40 and have been looking into the Zoom h5. Would you mind giving a sample of an evp you've captured with the h5?
My Signature

#4 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostMikaru, on 20 July 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I have a Tascam dr-40 and have been looking into the Zoom h5. Would you mind giving a sample of an evp you've captured with the h5?

To be perfectly honest, my best captures come from a Marantz PMD 222 and a Marantz PMD 430 analogue casette recorder. I am sure you're aware Mikaru the pioneers used analog Reel to Reel but that is because the tech available to them within their tiime period. My mentor stressed in using an old school approach using analog and I continued that legacy in my studies. Keep in mind my approach of using a single microphone within one recorder was not my normality in capturing evidence. Often our team has to cover large indoor dwellings with many rooms and routinely, many microphones were looped back to a mixing board to a Marantz from great distances away.

My suggestion if you haven't already done this, is to go into your settings and ensure all your filters are turned off. The better recorders have filters you can turn off. It seems that some of the cleaner recorders seem to inhibit captures simply by the filtering.

It might also be recommended to try different locations when recording because it's entirely possible one recorder might be more effective than an other.

I use phantom powered condenser & dynamic microphones to cover both EVP and AVP. EVP seems to be more conducive to dynamic microphones whereas condenser microphones are better for live audio captures found in AVP.  Dynamic microphones ar also  more suitable in environments where there are higher levels of audio contamination created by outside sources. Everyone's studies are different. The key is to experiment with different equipment and finding out what works for you.

Several years ago, I bought about 100 high end Maxell tapes because I saw the media was becoming more and more difficult to find since digital has replaced analog almost entirely. I bought them for a dollar a tape. Recently I saw average prices of Maxell XL2's to have tripled because of the rarity. When I run out I will use a bulk eraser and reuse the tapes. Analog has been my best conduit for audio but it's not economically feasible to invest it in anymore. I have 3 Marantz's 2-PMD 222 and 1 PMD 430. The 430 was said to be the best analog portable recorder in it's day for high quality. I will not ever let these go.

One question you asked was, "Why do lower end recorders seem to capture more anomalous audio? It's quite possible the lower end recorders may be improperly shielded and what is being picked up is nothing more than cross modulation form AM/FM, UHF/VHF, short wave, cellphone interception etc. In reality, unless we have definitive answers from questions ask, it's a difficult determination. Most snippets seem to be residual in nature. But once again, not all clips can be labelled as naturally explained. Some are downright enigmas.

Edited by EVP, 21 July 2017 - 08:10 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.:"
----Bertrand Russell----

#5 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostEVP, on 20 July 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

To be perfectly honest, my best captures come from a Marantz PMD 222 and a Marantz PMD 430 analogue casette recorder. I am sure you're aware Mikaru the pioneers used analog Reel to Reel but that is because the tech available to them within their tiime period. My mentor stressed in using an old school approach using analog and I continued that legacy in my studies. Keep in mind my approach of using a single microphone within one recorder was not my normality in capturing evidence. Often our team has to cover large indoor dwellings with many rooms and routinely, many microphones were looped back to a mixing board to a Marantz from great distances away.

My suggestion if you haven't already done this, is to go into your settings and ensure all your filters are turned off. The better recorders have filters you can turn off. It seems that some of the cleaner recorders seem to inhibit captures simply by the filtering.

It might also be recommended to try different locations when recording because it's entirely possible one recorder might be more effective than an other.

I use phantom powered condenser & dynamic microphones to cover both EVP and AVP. EVP seems to be more conducive to dynamic microphones whereas condenser microphones are better for live audio captures found in AVP.  Dynamic microphones ar also  more suitable in environments where there are higher levels of audio contamination created by outside sources. Everyone's studies are different. The key is to experiment with different equipment and finding out what works for you.

Several years ago, I bought about 100 high end Maxell tapes because I saw the media was becoming more and more difficult to find since digital has replaced analog almost entirely. I bought them for a dollar a tape. Recently I saw average prices of Maxell XL2's to have tripled because of the rarity. When I run out I will use a bulk eraser and reuse the tapes. Analog has been my best conduit for audio but it's not economically feasible to invest it in anymore. I have 3 Marantz's 2-PMD 222 and 1 PMD 430. The 430 was said to be the best analog portable recorder in it's day for high quality. I will not ever let these go.

One question you asked was, "Why do lower end recorders seem to capture more anomalous audio? It's quite possible the lower end recorders may be improperly shielded and what is being picked up is nothing more than cross modulation form AM/FM, UHF/VHF, short wave, cellphone interception etc. In reality, unless we have definitive answers from questions ask, it's a difficult determination. Most snippets seem to be residual in nature. But once again, not all clips can be labelled as naturally explained. Some are downright enigmas.
I have two marantz dynamic mics on the way. They come with tripods and shock mounts. I plan on placing a mic in the kitchen, one in the bedroom while keeping the tascam(internal mics on) in the dining room. Then I'll listen live while calling out to the spirits. All the while using my cellphone to video the sessions. Any thoughts?

ETA: I would love to get my hands on a reel to reel recorder. Looked on ebay and the prices are pretty steep.

Edited by Mikaru, 21 July 2017 - 08:49 AM.

My Signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com