Free Skins
© Fisana

Jump to content


Evp Frustrations


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mikaru

Mikaru

    Anomaly

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

So, I have a shure dynamic microphone hooked up to my Tascam dr-40 set to record at 24-bit WAV with a 96k sample. I have all of the filters and stuff off. It's set to record 4 channels so I can use the built-in mics as well as the shure. Then I used a hand held Olympus vn-721pc set to record at 32kbps mono.

I got good sound from the Tascam set up but no EVP's. I did pick up EVP's on the Olympus but they weren't even a class C.

This is in no way saying that I'm giving up on my Tascam. I've ordered another shure bundle to cover more area in the active locations.

Why would spirits prefer the cheap Olympus over my elaborate setup? Don't get me wrong. I love my hand held, but it would be nice to get a clear evp over the more expensive set up rather than whatever they're doing to my Olympus.

Please advise.

Edited by Mikaru, 18 August 2017 - 10:48 PM.



#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

    Forum Manager

  • Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hope someone will be a long soon with some useful information :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 EVP

EVP

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Connecticut
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

  • How many sessions and days have you been recording with the new setup?
  • Do you always record at the same spot at the same location?
  • Do you have any nearby locations that have a reputed haunting?
  • Do you always choose the same time each day you record?
  • Do you include passive and interactive when recording?
  • Are you recording strictly by yourself?
  • Please define what patience means to you personally?
  • Are you performing opening and closings?
  • Are you taking into consideration weather conditions/ solar activity or moon phase?
  • Are you logging your recording with detailed information on physical paper to see if their might be correlations?

As you can see, I'm not endorsing simply turning on a recorder and asking questions.

Edited by EVP, 18 August 2017 - 11:59 PM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#4 Mikaru

Mikaru

    Anomaly

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

View PostEVP, on 18 August 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

  • How many sessions and days have you been recording with the new setup?

  • Do you always record at the same spot at the same location?

  • Do you have any nearby locations that have a reputed haunting?

  • Do you always choose the same time each day you record?

  • Do you include passive and interactive when recording?

  • Are you recording strictly by yourself?

  • Please define what patience means to you personally?

  • Are you performing opening and closings?

  • Are you taking into consideration weather conditions/ solar activity or moon phase?

  • Are you logging your recording with detailed information on physical paper to see if their might be correlations?
As you can see, I'm not endorsing simply turning on a recorder and asking questions.
I understand what you're getting at. I do follow your instructions so, yes I use pink noise for 15 minutes, record passive for 10 minutes, then ask questions for another 10 minutes. I listen live. As far as going anywhere, it's at home where I've been getting activity and EVP's. Anywhere else would have to be in walking distance. I do log on paper. I haven't thought of moon phase or solar conditions but I do take into account the local weather. I'll begin doing that. Unfortunately, I'm alone for the recordings most of the time. I was only able to talk my gf into it on a few occassions. She get's better results than I do. It's a shame she doesn't like this.

Was I correct to use the highest record settings or does that really matter?

Thank you, EVP. I appriciate your time.

Edited by Mikaru, 19 August 2017 - 12:15 AM.



#5 EVP

EVP

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Connecticut
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

You will have to start changing things up when you find you are not receiving results. I found that variety brought better results. Patterning flat lined after a while. If your GF isn't into this, look on the internet and see if you can network with someone.

I still would appreciate you answering each of my questions if you can find the time. I might be able to provide better assistance and direction for you.

Edited by EVP, 19 August 2017 - 12:27 AM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#6 Mikaru

Mikaru

    Anomaly

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

View PostEVP, on 18 August 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

  • How many sessions and days have you been recording with the new setup?

  • Do you always record at the same spot at the same location?

  • Do you have any nearby locations that have a reputed haunting?

  • Do you always choose the same time each day you record?

  • Do you include passive and interactive when recording?

  • Are you recording strictly by yourself?

  • Please define what patience means to you personally?

  • Are you performing opening and closings?

  • Are you taking into consideration weather conditions/ solar activity or moon phase?

  • Are you logging your recording with detailed information on physical paper to see if their might be correlations?
As you can see, I'm not endorsing simply turning on a recorder and asking questions.
1. All day yesterday and most of the night. I woke up at 12a and began again.
2. Always in my apartment but I'll record in different rooms following activity or upon being woken up.
3. Yes, in fact, Tantric said the area I live in has an underground stream and got bad vibes from my building.
4. I try to stick to 2 pm every day but that doesn't always happen. See #1
5.I use 10 minutes of passive and ten minutes of interactive. In that order.
6. Mostly by myself. Only rarely can I get my gf to join in. She gets results.
7. In this case, having the ability to wait, unperturbed, for possibly a long time, without giving up.
8. Opening and closings? I open by inviting the spirits to come forward and speak into whatever I'm using. Then, I thank them for their time. Is that what you mean?
9. Thus far I've only paid attention to local weather conditions. I didn't think about the moon or solar conditions.
10. I do log on paper. I've grown more detailed over time.

Here thay are!



#7 EVP

EVP

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Connecticut
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

I'll expand on the questions with answers but here's something I haven't done. Go out at the time of the eclipse in an area that active and record during the totality. This is a global event and the most anticipated in human history. Surely energies might be at a peak :P
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#8 Mikaru

Mikaru

    Anomaly

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

View PostEVP, on 19 August 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

I'll expand on the questions with answers but here's something I haven't done. Go out at the time of the eclipse in an area that active and record during the totality. This is a global event and the most anticipated in human history. Surely energies might be at a peak :P
Already thought of doing just that after you brought up moon phases. Will do!



#9 siguie

siguie

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostMikaru, on 18 August 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

...

Why would spirits prefer the cheap Olympus over my elaborate setup? Don't get me wrong. I love my hand held, but it would be nice to get a clear evp over the more expensive set up rather than whatever they're doing to my Olympus.

Please advise.

If you consider EVPs to come from spirits just talking very quietly into your microphone then better more sensitive microphones should give you better results BUT if EVPs come from some source other than sound rarefaction waves then purchasing better/more expensive audio equipment may or may not make any difference. In fact I recall seeing somewhere than some people cut the mic off of and were getting results just from the cable acting as an antenna or possibly just somehow directly into the recorder.

Good luck!
- siguie -

#10 Mikaru

Mikaru

    Anomaly

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

View Postsiguie, on 19 August 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:



If you consider EVPs to come from spirits just talking very quietly into your microphone then better more sensitive microphones should give you better results BUT if EVPs come from some source other than sound rarefaction waves then purchasing better/more expensive audio equipment may or may not make any difference. In fact I recall seeing somewhere than some people cut the mic off of and were getting results just from the cable acting as an antenna or possibly just somehow directly into the recorder.

Good luck!
I've been wanting to experiment without a mic for awhile. Just don't want to damage any equipment to get it done



#11 EVP

EVP

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Connecticut
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostMikaru, on 20 August 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

I've been wanting to experiment without a mic for awhile. Just don't want to damage any equipment to get it done

Plug in an external microphone with an off and on switch into a digital recorder. There will be no damage.

Here's an inexpensive dynamic microphone with a cut switch. What I would do is just plug in the cable and keep the microphone disconnected from the cable.

https://www.amazon.c... and off switch

You could just buy a cable that plugs into the microphone jack or an adapter that fits into the microphone jack. Internally, the recorder should automatically shut off  the internal microphone once it's plugged in. Not a perfect system but it will not damage any of your components and it will essentially turn off an input.

Edited by EVP, 20 August 2017 - 10:50 PM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#12 siguie

siguie

    Earthbound Spirit

  • GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:50 AM

OR just grab an old anything with a 3.5mm jack ... doesn't even matter if it's stereo or mono :no:

Old ear buds werk AND you can even play with using them as a mic before cutting them up ... srsly cheap speakers and microphones are pretty much interchangeable like that :yes:
- siguie -




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users