53 replies to this topic

#21 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

Nightwalker hit the nail on the head. That's why I said it isn't cheap. The options are worth it. My boss installed it in one of his businesses, and someone robbed the place the other night. It's a good thing to have the extras. The camera even has sound and provided the police with everything they need to arrest the guy.

#22 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:43 PM

Awesome.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#23 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Agreed, moiraesfate!

It's just too bad that a person has to spend $300 to keep stuff from getting wrecked or stolen.

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#24 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

I've never actually shopped here, yet but I got it book-marked....
https://www.selfdefe...all-categories/
....They have a bunch of surveillance stuff.
Posted Image

#25 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

:confused0068: way WAY too pricey :down:

The expensive "systems" are just for people willing to pay for convenience. IF you want to setup your own {aka make your own system} you can get everything you need here a lot cheaper https://www.chinavasion.com/ I tend to get things from places like aliexpress or the amazon discount bins.

IF you want an IP system take a look at their IP Camera section, for wired systems take a look at their Security/Surveilance section. To create a network drive to store video footage take a look at NVRs {Network Video Recorders}. Many NVRs have built in IP connection systems AND most can handle mixtures of IP and wired connections.

That said keep in mind you want the highest resolution you can afford BUT better resolution requires more storage space AND you buy the memory/drives for the NVRs. Other than that everything else being equal choose a camera with the biggest CMOS and a good lens. Also this is a great opportunity to use old drives from computers that you might be storing. :yes:

IF you just want "one" IP camera I recommend picking something up from Amazon in the $25 to $50 range. You can get all of the bells 'n whistles like night vision, email warning and what not for sound and motion but you probably wont be getting 1080p resolution or all-weather capabilities. However, I generally recommend people get something cheap first to figure out the "difficulties" for what they really want :yes:

There are all sorts of unexpected problems that will popup that people didn't think of or couldn't have anticipated. Everything from no power source nearby to weird reflections messing up the video.

Oh and don't forget old smartphones can werk great too :yes:

Also PTZ {Pan/Tilt/Zoom} cameras are lots of fun BUT more likely to die and pets luv to attack them.

Edited by siguie, 30 June 2017 - 12:31 PM.

- siguie -

#26 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

Heck; Some nice hidden cameras set up in strategic places. The perp won't know what hit them.

If it turns out it's the grumpy old strawberry woman across the street, perhaps she really needs a nice talk over a gift of delicious cookies.
Posted Image

#27 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

View PostSpukiKitty, on 01 July 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

Heck; Some nice hidden cameras set up in strategic places. The perp won't know what hit them.

If it turns out it's the grumpy old strawberry woman across the street, perhaps she really needs a nice talk over a gift of delicious cookies.

Exactly!  We have ours sitting outside in a candle-holder ^_^

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#28 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 01 July 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Exactly!  We have ours sitting outside in a candle-holder ^_^

Cool!

Hope this mystery gets solved, soon. Please update.
Posted Image

#29 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Yes! :yes: nothing is more uplifting than catching a perp.... well maybe a ghost AND a perp :yes:
- siguie -

#30 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

What if the ghost is the perp?
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#31 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Oh noes the police can't bust a ghost ...

Who ya gonna call?  Posted Image

Queue theme song ... Posted Image

Posted Image   

Edited by siguie, 01 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

- siguie -

#32 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostSpukiKitty, on 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Cool!

Hope this mystery gets solved, soon. Please update.

Will do!!!  We did notice that our neighbors have an odd routine.  Our next door neighbor wheels about in her scooter about twice a day and stops to stare at our house for about five minutes before going back into hers (she's not looking at the camera, don't worry).  The people above her get home early in the morning at 2am...  Even with their 10 year old kid.  Not sure what that's about...  Anyway, yep, I'll let you know if anything out of the ordinary happens :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#33 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Just make sure if you connect the camera to the internet or your house wifi then please please change the username and password as make security cameras are being hacked remotely to send spam and DOS attacks.

Its getting harder to trust people as many people now feel the world owes them big time and don't understand that respect is a 2 way street.

For example I have been told at work that I am not allowed to chase up people who don't reply to emails I send. Apparently its company policy to not chase people who don't reply to emails as they would reply if the could and if they don't then they are to busy to reply EVEN after 2 months.

#34 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Oh and along those lines make sure your SSID is "Hidden" people are always broadcasting their wifi networks which makes them really easy to hack since they don't have a max number of connection tries. Once your router has been hacked everything else is easy :yes: or so I am told :whistle:
- siguie -

#35 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostCapt-Zeanie, on 07 July 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

Just make sure if you connect the camera to the internet or your house wifi then please please change the username and password as make security cameras are being hacked remotely to send spam and DOS attacks.

Its getting harder to trust people as many people now feel the world owes them big time and don't understand that respect is a 2 way street.

For example I have been told at work that I am not allowed to chase up people who don't reply to emails I send. Apparently its company policy to not chase people who don't reply to emails as they would reply if the could and if they don't then they are to busy to reply EVEN after 2 months.

Good point, Capt-Zeanie.  We do have it all set up with a username and password :)

View Postsiguie, on 07 July 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Oh and along those lines make sure your SSID is "Hidden" people are always broadcasting their wifi networks which makes them really easy to hack since they don't have a max number of connection tries. Once your router has been hacked everything else is easy :yes: or so I am told :whistle:

All done also.  Our router is password-protected :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#36 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

Did you catch anything yet? Is it aliens?
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#37 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 07 July 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

All done also.  Our router is password-protected :)

Um ok that's good too BUT just to be clear the SSID {Service Set IDentifier} is how WLANs are identified as in when you look for a wifi signal you see an alphanumeric name/code and go ok I'll connect to that. When a WLAN broadcasts it's name it really isn't much of a password anymore. Now if that name is hidden and you have to know the up to 32 character name/code to even be allowed to enter an even larger password THEN you are pretty secure :yes:
- siguie -

#38 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostCDS, on 25 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

When you find someone on your property at night, a red laser pointer works wonders...
Oh yes  I have one of those;)

Night, how are you going to put up the camera without the strawberry lady noticing? Heck, take her some strawberries maybe? Just make sure she doesn't have any  lasers pointed at you.

#39 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

View Postsiguie, on 07 July 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Um ok that's good too BUT just to be clear the SSID {Service Set IDentifier} is how WLANs are identified as in when you look for a wifi signal you see an alphanumeric name/code and go ok I'll connect to that. When a WLAN broadcasts it's name it really isn't much of a password anymore. Now if that name is hidden and you have to know the up to 32 character name/code to even be allowed to enter an even larger password THEN you are pretty secure :yes:

Ohh...  I gotcha...  Nah, we just have a generic name for it.  We have so many WiFi hotspots around also, so I don't think we have to worry.

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 07 July 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Oh yes  I have one of those;)

Night, how are you going to put up the camera without the strawberry lady noticing? Heck, take her some strawberries maybe? Just make sure she doesn't have any  lasers pointed at you.

Hahaha the strawberry lady has been quiet as of late...  Nothing out of the ordinary has happened...

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#40 siguie

siguie

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 08 July 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Ohh...  I gotcha...  Nah, we just have a generic name for it.  We have so many WiFi hotspots around also, so I don't think we have to worry.

Um yeah that's kind of like saying no one in your area locks their doors so you are safe not locking your door too. BUT yeah I understand it just freaks me out ... try doing a little research on hacking routers and then based on your routers settings and password figure out how long it would take to get into your system. Then think about all of those hotspots you see and guess how long it would take your computer to automagically gain entry to each one, if you just let a dictionary script run in the background.

On the other hand IF your questionable neighbor has wifi and even better has win10 running and sent you an email you could easily um borrow her webcam and or mic ...

Oh and I also recommend turning off WPS if your router has it ... most people don't realize it literally tells everything nearby your password when you press the button. :yes:

Oh and sorry about jacking your thread ... to bring things back around ... password protecting your ip cameras isn't much help if your router isn't protected 'cuz once your router is gotten into pretty much everything else is easy peasy ... or so I am told :whistle:
- siguie -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users