9 replies to this topic

#1 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

So sick of this, seems never ending. Just when you think it's going to get better.

Many of you know about my surgery last year. Well gee, last week, I had the wonderful good fortune (NOT) of having all my teeth removed to wear dentures for the rest of my life. I'm 41 years old and they were rotting out of my head even though I was brushing constantly, using mouth wash, etc. My mum had full false teeth by the time she was 35, and my dad got his at 60. I had a feeling it was going to happen, I was just hoping it would be another 20 years.

That being said, I am SO hungry. I can't eat anything that isn't liquid and the dentist said it would probably be a month before I can so my mouth can heal. I want a cheeseburger SO BAD. BBQ chicken, macaroni and cheese, french fries, chips and dip, steak... I can keep going. And the tv and internet ad's aren't helping.

THIS SUCKS!!!!! :wallbash:  :verymad:

Edited by moiraesfate, 14 August 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#2 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

That sucks really bad. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :(
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#3 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

More people than you might know have dentures, Moiraesfate. You'll adapt and guess what? No more severe pain, no more rotting teeth.  :)  You have new teeth now and everything will be fine. It's just a matter of getting used to this whole ordeal and adapting. You have actually been born in a time in the history of the world when the miracle of dentures are available.  :)

I suggest you go to Jamba Juice or other great juice bar for a real treat.  ;)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#4 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Well, I am hoping in a months time your mouth has healed and you are enjoying your food again.

When I went through radiation for my throat cancer all my taste buds in my mouth were destroyed and it is mentally challenging and difficult to try to eat something that had no taste, let alone having a raw throat from the inside out from radiation burn. But it will get better, so just focus on the how great your teeth will look and all the nice things you will eat in the very near future, just focus on one day at a time and getting enough rest and the best nutrition to aid in your healing.  

The oncology unit I was at gave out nutritional and high protein drinks with each visit and I saw a dietitian every week. I wonder if they have any services like that at your dental clinic and if so could you see them.  The dietitian was big on suggestions of what I could eat, how I was eating it and making sure I was not losing too much weight etc.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#5 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

Sorry to hear that you're in some pain at the moment. It feels like forever now but before you know it you will have new dentures fitted and will be able to eat whatever you wish!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#6 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Thanks guys. I'm just incredibly aggravated at the moment. Though I did manage to have some chicken and gnocchi soup from Olive Garden last night including the bread soaked in the soup of course. But I had to eat it without the teeth in because trying to swallow food made me choke. I've barely figured out how to swallow liquid with the things.

Last years surgery was hard but I think this is worse. Everyone uses their teeth every day. From talking and eating to even using them as tools to grab something and hold it for a second.

I talked to my gramma today.. she said "If I could do it, you can". lol Well good point gramma.

Klainey, omg, you can't taste anything? That's horrible. My taste was muddled for years because of a car accident but it's mostly come back. I can't imagine it being gone completely forever. You might try occasionally doing research on that because you never know if they will come up with a solution. I figure if they can build a television that's 3 millimeters thick, they should eventually be able to solve most of our problems including that one. It's amazing what they've been able to do with genetics.

Right now I just want to be able to eat and for my bloody mouth to stop hurting. I'm not even wearing the suckers right now because I need a break from the pain. It was my upper denture causing major issues, now the lower one is causing a problem as it feels rubbed raw from the denture.

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 16 August 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Thanks guys. I'm just incredibly aggravated at the moment. Though I did manage to have some chicken and gnocchi soup from Olive Garden last night including the bread soaked in the soup of course. But I had to eat it without the teeth in because trying to swallow food made me choke. I've barely figured out how to swallow liquid with the things Yes I am sure it is difficult but glad you were able to get some food down.  

Last years surgery was hard but I think this is worse. Everyone uses their teeth every day. From talking and eating to even using them as tools to grab something and hold it for a second.

I talked to my gramma today.. she said "If I could do it, you can". lol Well good point gramma.

Klainey, omg, you can't taste anything? That's horrible. My taste was muddled for years because of a car accident but it's mostly come back. I can't imagine it being gone completely forever. You might try occasionally doing research on that because you never know if they will come up with a solution. I figure if they can build a television that's 3 millimeters thick, they should eventually be able to solve most of our problems including that one. It's amazing what they've been able to do with genetics. Yes, the dietitian was great they were doing research on of all things pawpaw! So maybe something to think about too :) I was told so many things but basically,  taste buds after they are destroyed grow back in time, so I can taste stuff now but the tastes have changed, and salivary glands don't. The only other thing I can offer, I had a lignocaine mix that I gargled and swallowed before meals and was told to gargle after each meal with bicarb soda.

Right now I just want to be able to eat and for my bloody mouth to stop hurting. I'm not even wearing the suckers right now because I need a break from the pain. It was my upper denture causing major issues, now the lower one is causing a problem as it feels rubbed raw from the denture. Are there any gels that you could use under the dentures?

Posted Image

#8 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

They grow back? I didn't know that. Oh, I hope they do. It would just be horrible to lose it forever. I know the taste can change. It took years before I could taste things like Alfredo. But subtleties are hard to taste. For me it's like for many years they were sorted into separate tastes rather than combined tastes if that means anything.

Like.... sweet, salty, tangy, bitter. But never all at once, or even several at once. Not sure that makes sense. Maybe I should explain it as "salty as nothing but salty" even if there was supposed to be a sweet taste to it as well. Hope that makes sense.

I have orajel but it really doesn't last long. I have that throat spray that numbs your throat but that hardly lasts long either. And both of which you can only use so much of according to the instructions. I bought some liquid anbesol today. I'm hoping that might be better.

I did find out that swishing with salt water a couple times a day actually does help. Not intensely but my mouth always feels a tiny bit better after. Not if I put the teeth back in though, that's just PAIN! At least it's only the bottoms. I managed to wear them about 8 hours today but had to take out the bottoms due to pain after around 6.

#9 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,534 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

Salt water is good, it helps the gums to heal and toughens them up
Posted Image

#10 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

Maybe give the pawpaw fruit a try, I found it really helped and try the Bicarb it was 1/2 a teaspoon in a glass of water
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users