• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

My best friend and I are working on an extensive family tree project together.  The more information we find, the more we see the same dates reappearing within the same lineage.  For instance, the same death date comes up three times within as many generations of the same family.

It's probably just a coincidence, since there are a finite number of days in the year.  But there are fewer family members in this particular lineage than there are days per year, and to see the same birth, death, and other significant dates repeating more than twice gives me a slight pause.

Does anyone feel that there may be a deeper reason that these dates appear with such frequency within one family?  From the point of view of those who believe in numerology, what might this mean?

Food for thought.

#2 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi August, its my opinion that there are no coincidences in life, as I believe in destiny and fate. carrot.gif
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#3 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • 4,576 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

What I saw in my family was a pattern of at one point 3 deaths in 3 years, all within a few days of each other, but a year apart.  A significant factor (even with one that was a DECADE later and nearly the same date as the others), depression... people start thinking about "the date that my dear brother,mother, etc passed away is coming up..." and then the lurking heath problem seems to be triggered by that... the heart attack, or whatever seems to be set off by the depression or the anniversary of the death.

Prior to the wave of older people passing with just about a year between them... there was a situation where a spouse, or a sibling would pass away, and then at the One year anniversary memorial, a close relative would have a health crisis, faint at the visit to the gravesite or something... but at that time the old folks would recover...only to have a similar event at the same week several years later.

When I worked as a stencil cutter for the grave marker place, i noticed that one spouse would pass away on x date, and then the same date, sometimes years or even decades later the other spouse would pass away.  

#4 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

We all die within 6 months of our birthday.

If you are going back several generations then you have to remember that more people probably died during flu season because there were no flu shots.  You would probably see more people dying in the winter months.  There were also diseases that could be passed around making it more likely that family members would die close together.

My mom died December 31 and my Dad died January 21, but they died 16 years apart, but close together.  They both went into the hospital for the last time on Christmas Day.

All of our birthdays are within 4 months; 2 in Feb; 1 in March; 2 in April; 2 in May.  
When you think about it we only have 365 days for people to be born.  With the number of family members and the general population I don't think it is too uncommon.  My nephew and I share a birthday.  

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#5 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

True, but if we count back or forward, considering there are 12 months in a year its always six months, one way or another. confused.gif
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#6 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

What a fascinating find, Augie!

I have to say that this seems very mysterious on the face of it.  Too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence, I would have said at first.  i do believe in coincidences, but the odds seemed very long at first.

However, being as I am not one to trust my own subjective impressions, I Googled "having the same birthday" and got this page.  I figure birthday is about the same as date of death for a jumping off point to start figuring the odds.  Although Trin & Ames made some good points about how death dates may not be completely random in some cases.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/games/puzzles/birthday.htm

I was surprised at how good the basic odds are on stuff like this. In a group of just 23 people, the oods are better than 50% that two of them will have the same birthday.  A large part of figuring the odds in your geneology would be determining a meaningful selection group.

Not knowing the exact figures in your genelogy, I would not venture to estimate the odds, but factoring in some of the points Trim & Ames brought up, I think it might be reasonable to conclude that while there is more than chance at work here, there is no deeper reason for the same date popping up again & again.

Of course, it could be something more.  interesting to think about, for sure.  I wonder what the implications would be of some sort of metaphysicl system that caused peole to die on the anniversary of their relatives deaths?  i wonder what meaning such a thing could have?

Regards, Canis

#7 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • 4,576 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

...and don't forget that there's always a flood of deaths (the old and the sickly) after the holidays...as if people HANG ON until the holiday has passed, or the One More Time With The Whole Family Around the Table...

we also tend to remember the birthdays/death days of our loved ones... it leaves a mark in your heart...

#8 Methos

Methos

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Weightlifting,martial arts,reading,demonology,<br />exorcism,camping and other things.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(BlueAngel @ Jan 6 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but if we count back or forward, considering there are 12 months in a year its always six months, one way or another. confused.gif

good.gif Very true!  ninja.gif
There are two mistakes people usually make when it comes to the devil:One is not to believe in him at all;The other is to believe in him too much.

Too many people want to believe that hell has air-conditioning.

#9 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

In the most notable shared death date case in our family tree, grandfather and grandson passed away on the same date, fifteen years apart.  The grandson had fallen out of touch with his grandfather and did not know the exact date of his grandfather's death.  I doubt he could have been dwelling on a date that he wasn't aware of.  However, they had been extremely close until the grandson grew up and went out on his own.  Emotional bonds like this tend to stay strong, and part of me wondered if the closeness had anything to do with the shared death date.  A coincidence I'm sure, but I still had to wonder.  There is also a maternal relative with the same death date too.  Those were the three that really struck me.

#10 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

My mom died December 31 and my Dad died January 21, but they died 16 years apart, but close together. They both went into the hospital for the last time on Christmas Day.

Weird. I have a simialr story with my grandparents who passed away 21 years apart, but a week after the first one's death. My grandmother really wanted to die in the same month as her husband and was given that wish when she passed, except her death was on April 30th and not on Christmas day.

Funny how life works, huh?

#11 ShadowandLight

ShadowandLight

Apport

• GS Member
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Prolific reader, writing, camping, just lazying around with the friends and talking. I'm an obsessive movie lover as well. A bit of a history nerd. Ok more then a bit. I love going to the gym, and of course the paranormal. Recently started my own personal research into astral projection/OBE's.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:30 AM

The same dates pop up often in my family. My grandfather and I were both born on April 13th. My dads birthday is March 13. I have two cousins born on March 13th. My other cousin is March 14. My twin uncles birthdays is on April 12. I have two great uncles with April 12 as birthdays. My sister is on November 14th. My grandmother on my dads side was November 13th. My grandfather died two days prior to my moms birthday in January. There are many more I am forgetting.

We also have many similar deaths in my moms side of the family as well. Since the 18th century my moms side of the family from my grandfather's branch have kept a running book of family members. It's HUGE, and every time there is a birth or a death they add more information. Of course, its hard to keep track of. When my grandfather died and the book was sent to us we found out that while I was added to the book, my sister wasnt. So we had to add her in, as well as my cousins baby. Checked to make sure nobody else was missing.

I also read it from beginning to end. It was actually photocopies of the original, which has been shut away. We edit the photocopies, send them back, and then whoever is in charge of the book adds it in. They try to preserve it as much as possible.

Anyway, what caught my attention, is that no matter HOW outrageous the death was, at least two different family members died the same way. Even if it was a hundred years later.

For instance, I have three ancestors who were all: 1. preachers 2. somewhat dodgy preachers who were considered more frauds than not and 3. all died by being struck by lightening.  

Two were struck directly while a third was killed by a tree that fell on him after the tree was struck. It may have been a tree branch actually. OH, and two of them shared the same birthday (not the year of course). I have no recollection on what days they died though, but it was nothing that stuck with me.

As to shared deaths I can not think of any. My grandmother on my mom's side is still alive. My other grandmother had long since divorced my grandfather on my dad's side when she died so they had no bond.

My grandfather, however, strongly believed that when my grandmother dies it would be in the same month as he did. He had himself cremated so that his ashes could be buried with his wife's grave. He said it would be a double memorial, don't worry about his until she died.

#12 Will518

Will518

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:55 PM

Very interesting.

My mother passed away 21 years after her husband. My grandmother passed away on the 21st day of Feb.

Ages when they passed _
Uncle - 55
Mother - 56
Uncle - 57
Grandmother- 67
Cousin - 76

I started mapping out the patterns, almost like a family tree but using numbers, dates, births, etc. I have a little more than 100 different patterns/connections within my family like this. Not including shared bdays. At first I thought that it was just a coincidence or some form of synchronicity.

Other patterns are my nephew being 10 when his grandmother passed, and my sister being 10 when her father passed. Me and my one cousin are 6 months apart. Both of our kids are also 6 months apart.

Really weird. A little comforting to know that Iím not the only one going through this.