12 replies to this topic

#1 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

My friends and family wonder why I prefer to stay home and not leave the house.

Well, yesterday I went to visit my son and took my baby granddaughter to see her daddy.  It's about a 60 mile round trip.  

I was on the interstate and was driving along the speed limit.  I am extra careful when I am transporting precious cargo.  All of a sudden the brake lights came on in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes.  Thank God we were ok.  There was a huge ladder laying out in the middle of the road.  Up the road a bit a truck had pulled over and it had ladders just stacked in the truck.  You could see they were not tied down as we inched past the truck in traffic.

So then I am about to get off my exit and I'll be cursed if I didn't have to slow down AGAIN and go around a recliner in the middle of the highway!  A RECLINER!!!!  Picture 483.gif

Again, there was a truck pulled over, and I swear it looked like the old truck in the opening credits of the Beverly Hillbillies.  Junk was piled up about 10 feet with stuff hanging off the truck.

Why the hell don't people tie their stuff down or be more careful?  Take the backroads or something when you have a load like that.  They could have caused a horrible accident and killed people.

And I also try to keep a safe distance between me and other cars.....like about 4 car lengths or so.  I HATE those drivers that just have to slide into that space.  I wish I had a neon sign where I could push a button that says....I HAVE A BABY IN THE CAR, YOU FREAKIN' MORON!  

I have been driving for 39 years and by the Grace of God, I have been so blessed.  I have never had nor been in an accident.  I did get a speeding ticket when I was 22; that's it.  I have an excellent driving record, and I try to be careful.

Shouldn't those people be fined or charged with something for creating that danger??  

Talk about haunting somebody!  If something had happened to me and my precious little granddaughter that SOB would be haunted.  I would make the rest of their life a living hell.  There is just no excuse for being that stupid and not making sure their stuff is secure.  Can you imagine a ladder or a recliner flying off right in front of you?  Dear God, I can't even imagine what that must have felt like for the person following them.

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#2 Nemorach

Nemorach

Official Thread Killer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Interests:....escaping certain death on a regular basis....

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

When I use to commute from San Antonio to Austin for work, I would encounter scenes like that almost daily on I-35. Furniture, , bags of clothes, plywood (like about a half dozen sheets)....one time I was behind someone who ended up losing a good 8 foot long piece of rebar(?) that luckily bounced out of my lane before I got to it!

One time I hit a refrigerater box going 70mph. Luckily, it was empty, but it stuck to the windshield and blocked my view! I don't even know how I was able to pull off the road safely.

People like that tick me off to no end.

Posted Image

Sheesh, you don't post for awhile and people try to take your title. Not yours, you can't have it.

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_ellsbeth_*

Guest_ellsbeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Nemorach @ Dec 30 2007, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I use to commute from San Antonio to Austin for work, I would encounter scenes like that almost daily on I-35. Furniture, , bags of clothes, plywood (like about a half dozen sheets)....one time I was behind someone who ended up losing a good 8 foot long piece of rebar(?) that luckily bounced out of my lane before I got to it!

One time I hit a refrigerater box going 70mph. Luckily, it was empty, but it stuck to the windshield and blocked my view! I don't even know how I was able to pull off the road safely.

People like that tick me off to no end.

Yup, my car was damaged by a dude hauling a car with a rope----not cable just plain old rope. I could not see the rope as it was like, a zillion ft long. He pulled in front of me----zing, my bumper and hubcap went flying.
Oh, well.

#5 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

Many years ago, (I think my daughter was maybe 10-12 ish... as she was in the front seat) we were headed to temple on a Saturday or Sunday morning...  we exited the freeway behind one of those trucks with one of the lawn service trailers behind it...

as we pull out onto the city street from the exit, out comes a LAWN MOWER.  I had been staying well behind as I just had "a feeling" but we just barely missed the thing. It was actually airborne for a bit as the trailer turned and it flew off...I think we both screamed too. (insert 10-12 year old girl banshee shriek here.): My ears still ring when I remember it.  

For years we always felt a little strange (that "OMG! we could have been killed.") every time we pulled off that exit... a sensation that eventually diminished.

I try to stay out from behind or beside vehicles like that, but sometimes you just don't have that option.

-------------------

And recently a friend on one of my craft forums was injured, not seriously thank heavens, by a chunk of concrete tossed off an overpass that went through her windshield.

Edited by trin, 30 December 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#6 ~=IKON=~

~=IKON=~

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

Being I work Claims for a well known car insurance company, I get calls every day from people that have hit things in the road.  Pretty much anything you can get into the back of a truck has been hit on the road.  I cringe when I see anything in the road.  You never know when that bag or box in the road is full of just metal or something.  cool.gif
Ghost Investigator: 1994-Present
One day your life will flash before your eyes.  Make sure it's worth watching.
If something is 99% impossible, there is that 1% chance it could happen.
If you wake up in the morning and you feel no pain, you probably died sometime in the night

#7 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

You never know what's going to damage your car, either, even if you think it's not a big deal.

When I was about 11 or 12 (I remember the Ford LTD was new and we got it in 85 or 86), my mother and I were going to the mall, driving down the freeway, minding our own business and there was a guy hauling an ice fishing shack.  OK, slow down a little, give him a little extra room... then a piece of styrofoam flew off of it.  Not cool... but... OH HOLY COW!!!  

It shattered our windshield all over me.  I would have been blinded if the sun visor hadn't been down and deflected the glass downward instead of straight into my face.  Even though it's tempered and shatters into little cubes, there were cubes embedded in the sun visor.

My husband (and many of my friends) make fun of me when I instinctively duck when I see something coming.  Yeah, well... have your windshield shattered by styrofoam and you'll duck for the rest of your life, too!

When the police came to help us tow away the car, they couldn't believe it was styrofoam (the piece was sticking out of the windshield... wasn't anything but) and our claims adjuster couldn't believe styrofoam did that, my Dad had plenty to say about how it MUST have been a piece of wood, etc.  Nope, styrofoam.  Avoid anything that's going to hit your windshield if you possibly can.

Edited by Tantric Kitten, 30 December 2007 - 11:53 AM.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#8 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

Well, Tan-- it's not so much the weight or hardness, but also the speed and trajectory...

And NOW I recall a bajillion years ago of a chunk of concrete falling off a flatbed and nearly hitting the car I was in as it flew off and bounced around the parkway...

#9 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

A friend of mine and I were driving back to school in San Diego, during college years, and a rug few up and literally covered the entire front window of the car.
We had to pull over to get it off.
It turned out being insulation.

It was so weird....

CA is pretty strict. You get in pretty big trouble tying all that stuff to your car.

Ellsbeth!!! I can't believe that happened to you! I am visualizing these figure 8 races they used to have at a nearby speedway, where they would tie three pintos together and have about 7 groups like that and do figure 8's at the speedway. It was mayhem.

And a lawnmower Trin!!! Holy Cow!

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#10 JLKing13

JLKing13

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Anything to send shivers down my spine. Latest obsession is reading paranormal romance novels especially anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

I was minding my own business awhile back, probably heading for a movie theater, when a truck decided it was going to pass me,  as he pulled beside me, I noticed that he had signs in the opened cargo area.  I saw the piece sliding and pretty much stopped as he pulled back into the lane and it hit the road.  Now this was supposedly a professional sign installer.  BTW, the sign that almost got me, was a sign from my former bank, which I left when they decided to start charging me an arm and half a leg in service charges a month.

#11 chel

chel

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

Aw, Ame, I'm sorry.  That's happened to me, too.  Got onto the highway after going behind some incredibly slow goof on the onramp.  I was trying to make up lost time (read--speeding) when up ahead I see something *bounding* in the middle of the highway.  It was a sofa.  A full sized sofa doing somersaults on St. Rt. 30.  Picture 483.gif It was still bouncing when I got into the other lane and passed it.  Luckiy for me.

Had the goofball in front of me not been so slow, I'd have probably been right behind it when it went flying out of the pickup truck that was hauling it.

People are just idiots is all.

Some days I want to stay inside...

#12 babyjo53

babyjo53

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

It sounds like we have all had close calls with the idiots of the world. It pays to watch out for everyone else lest they kill innocent people!
user posted image

#13 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(babyjo53 @ Jan 2 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like we have all had close calls with the idiots of the world. It pays to watch out for everyone else lest they kill innocent people!

That's life on the freeway...  drive long enough and you're sure to see it, and hopefully never actually hit any of it. (knocking on wood.)