24 replies to this topic

#1 Mistypoo

Mistypoo

Pookie Hunter

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Soooo... this year I want to make some changes. First off, I want out of the IT/help desk thing. I've wanted to do other things for awhile, but this is what I know so it's easy to get into. What I want to do is make and sell my costumes for a living. I make pretty nice costumes if I do say so myself. So I plan on making them, and selling them via ebay and my site for now and see if it ever takes off. I make mostly Ren Faire/cosplay type stuff, so I know there's a geek market for it, I just hope I can break into it. Has anyone you've know been successful on their own like this? I know we don't ask, but does anyone get any inkling if this might be successful for me? (I'll beat myself with the stick later...wait..sounds wrong O.o)

Next is I want to change the way I look. I'm still a jeans and tees type of gal, and I think I'd like to not look like the basement dwelling nerd I am all the time. I played around with one of those online hair things, what one do you like best?

I'm just feel like I'm in a rut, and life is going by and I'm just 'alive' and not really 'living'. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

thanks.gif

#2 chel

chel

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

I like #3, but really, what's wrong with you?  I think you look just great!

But...being a woman, I understand that the only thing you can control sometimes is your hair...so change away.

I've gone drastically different recently, too...Forever my hair has been long and thick and wavy/curly.  Sounds nice...wasn't...think Britney Spears with more hair...I just couldn't do anything with it.  Too much of it & way too frizzy curly to straighten, it ended up in a clip or a pnytail every freakin dayQ

So I got it cut, shorter, angled to longer sides...totally Betty Boop, if she were a red head! lol...Seriously, it's almost like a flapper from the 20s, without all the finger waves and some way cool curls and waves.  Throw some highlights in and a new shade of lipstick and you will feel like a new woman!!

I'm working on the weight thing right now.  I just hate how I feel.  I need to be healthy, not skinny...so we'll see.

Good luck on getting the new job.  It bites when you're in a rut, doesn't it?  And this time of year doesn't help, either.

Keep us posted on everything...I wanna see your new hair when you get it.  

But if it matters, I still think you are awesome!!

And geeks so totally rock!   innocent0005.gif

#3 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

I like 3, 5, and 8.  

I wouldn't go with any of the big '80s do's because those are a pain to have to work with every day and they tend to be too elaborate and distracting.  A hairdo should call attention to your best features--not be the only feature demanding attention.

As far as the costume making...do you have any experience making colonial era and Civil War era clothing?  I'm not talking about just uniforms, but civilian and women's clothes too.  I have a lot of reenactor friends (it's a huge thing here in St. Augustine) and they are willing to pay a small fortune for a well made and historically accurate ensemble.  Like an entire outfit can cost between $300 and $1,000.  Just one emsemble...and the serious people have an entire wardrobe of this stuff.  There is definitely a market out there, and the better (quality and period accuracy) your products are, the more in demand you will be and the more you'll make.

The Ren Faire and cosplay stuff will also have a market, but I would urge you to consider reenacting and living history clothing as well.

#4 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

I like # 2

#5 Porcelain

Porcelain

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal interests include: Legends, poltergeists, spirits, spirit photography, urban myth, creatures, evps, horror/thriller movies.

Other interests: Poetry, writing, painting, drawing, music, sleeping, alcohol, gaming, shopping, clubbing.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

#3, definately.

I'm not sure about the US, but Australia certainly runs courses on costume design for theatre, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar for you.

Good luck!

#6 Guest_Silent Walker_*

Guest_Silent Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

2, 5 or 8 for me......

#7 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:45 AM

I like # 3 best.

Also, they say, do what you love and the money will follow.  If this is your passion, work it, girl!  I think you can be successful.

And the idea about the Civil War costumes is great too!  

Heck, I used to be a court reporter and I got so I just couldn't type anymore, my hands would hurt so bad, so I took a leap of faith and started to do readings for a living.  It pays the bills now!

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#8 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:12 AM

I vote for #3 as well
Posted Image

#9 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:14 AM

Since I have no idea what you look like to begin with, I do not feel I can adequately judge any of the new 'do ideas. Can you add one of what you look like now?

As for the change in appearance, this last year I changed my entire wardrobe. I didn't just chuck out everything and go on a big shopping spree. I couldn't afford that. I did it gradually. I used to wear nothing but oversized tshirts in the summer and oversized longsleeve tshirts and sweat pants in the winter. Now I wear more properly fitting tops and they all have a v-neck or scoop neck or something of the kind. I have only 2 or 3 tshirts I wear. It's made me feel a bit better about myself, but now that I'm wearing properly fitting clothes, I can see how big I really am. sad.gif But I made the changes gradually. Whenever I visited Walmart I'd check out their clothes. Or I'd make it a point to visit the mall and buy only one top, then go home and trade it out for one I wanted to get rid of.

I think you definitely have a market for your costumes. Definitely!!!

#10 dorthyinwonder

dorthyinwonder

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Love my niece and nephew as though they were my own (might as well be) and would do anything for them. Well, just about anything.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:19 AM

Personally, I like #1 and #2...

and as for the costume designer, I like the idea of the period wardrobes, especially for re-enactors. They do tend to be somewhat obsessive with their collecting and stuff. I swear, they are some of the craziest collectors around, lol. I think Ren Fair would...well, its more of a seasonal thing, isn't it? I don't think it'll be something you will be successful at year-round.

I think marketing unique Halloween costumes might help bring in extra money...and Ren Fair, as well, but I don't think it would be something to swear by. You might look into being hired on as a seamstress for a play or whatnot, if your pieces are that good...

#11 LuvMyWeinerDog

LuvMyWeinerDog

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:51 AM

I vote for #3 & #5!  
I love revising my look from time to time!  
Have fun with it!  The smallest changes can make the biggest difference!!!
In Loving Memory of My Brother Peter
August 29, 1967 - August 6, 2006

#12 JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Lil' D's Gramma

• GS Member
  • 15,277 posts
  • Location:Over the Hill and Through the Woods...Really just Over the Hill
  • Interests:My grandson!!

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

I like 5. #8 makes you look like Tori Spelling  Picture 483.gif Skip the Marilyn Monroe do.  crazy.gif

#13 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

2 and 3 are the best cuts for your face shape (see how they balance you out and make your eyes pop).  2 is the best haircolor, though a really, really dark auburn would be nice too (the red in 1, the red tones look nice with your skin but that particular shade is not good... and that haircut looks like the redhead on "Head of The Class" from 1990).
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#14 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(Porcelain @ Jan 4 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#3, definately.

I'm not sure about the US, but Australia certainly runs courses on costume design for theatre, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar for you.

Good luck!

I know long time costumers with costuming EDUCATION who can't get a spot in the theater... the jobs fill up fast, and unless one gets a big job on Broadway they don't pay all that well...

However, I know people making a LIVING providing garb for Renfaire and Cosplay markets. The Renfaire might be seasonal, but the Renfairies have events within their groups year round I think... (and then there is SCA which sort of overlaps, and that IS certainly year round.)
Go for it!

Stick with simpler styles, they're less fuss and more "modern" IMHO... and maybe just highlight your natural hair color, as monthly color jobbers get EXPENSIVE... even the DIY kind get cumulatively expensive.

Edited by trin, 04 January 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#15 Gooz

Gooz

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

I like 2,3, & 6. And good luck on whatever you do. Be happy!

#16 Gizmo

Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

I think you'd look lovely with #2 or #3.

Posted Image

#17 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

I vote for 2. 3's not bad, but I think that 2 suits you more. smile.gif

#18 Therightone86

Therightone86

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:I am currently attempting to achieve my Bachelor's Degree, majoring in communications (Ha...and I don't mean spiritual). Although its only for my personal recreation, writing is a favorite hobby of mine. I tend to be an avid movie-goer and find a replenishment, of sorts, in film. Beyond that...traveling, hiking, mountain climbing, swimming, and boating. I also enjoy taking care of my fish! The supernatural/paranormal is a regular part of my life, ha, but I do enjoy learning more about it as well.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of #1 and #9!  They are pretty much the same, but...I think either one of those is for you.  Long hair is sexy...and #1 is pretty great, as I am partial to red heads and brunettes, myself! biggrin.gif  HaHa!  

Good luck, and have fun with it! Ha!

-Nick-

#19 Ginger

Ginger

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

I like #3.  As for the costuming, Ren Faire is almost year round, from big to small Faires.  And there is a huge call for good Ren Faire clothing, the stuff you can buy at Faire is outrageously expensive.
Bail Dhia ort .... The blessing of God on you

There are 4 things you must never do: lie, steal, cheat, or drink.
But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love.
If you must steal, steal away from bad company.
If you must cheat, cheat death.
And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~ Catherine Aird

#20 Mistypoo

Mistypoo

Pookie Hunter

• GS Member
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone! I just need a new look. I was going through some old pictures, and I have looked the exact same for years. Super casual clothes, messy hair, even the same makeup style. I might wanna look like an adult at some point. I have a few 'nice' outfits, that usually get pushed away for holidays and job interviews, so when I fool them into hiring me I can laugh and yell "SUCKERS" as I walk in, in a dragon tee shirt and a ponytail.
And I guess I'm doing Ren faire and co-play stuff, because (as super-spectacularly dorky as it is) thats what I 'know'. Although I may consider adding other types if I'm lucky enough to get going. I've been making my own faire clothes for years, and for my friends and family. Everytime I'd go, I'd see the clothes and know I could do that same stuff, for far less then what they charge. So I've made and sold a couple, and I've gotten really good feedback (both the Ebay and personal kind). And mostly, I just enjoy it. Where as I have no desire to be in the whole corporate world anymore.