9 replies to this topic

#1 chel

chel

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

I got a pm asking about my siggie pic, so I thought I would share the story with all of you.

My father is a member of the Mansfield Police Dept.  On Christmas night one of the off duty officers, Brian Evans, went to a movie with his family, including his brother Larry.  Larry had a history of some psychiatric problems, not too severe since he'd been employed as a prison guard for awhile.  Anyway, Larry had been acting strangely for a few days, but at the movies he just up and left.  No one is sure why, even to this day.  The group stayed and watched the movie, then headed back to Larry's to drop off Larry's wife.

Brian's wife and his sister arrived first.  Larry was there, he shot both of them but they managed to escape and run to a neighbors house.  Larry then shot this neighbor, an innocent bystander who was just coming home (they lived in a duplex) and tried to help Larry.  Brian then arrived with Larry's wife.  Brian saw that his brother had completely lost it, he saw the neighbor lying dead, and he immediately sent Larry's wife away while he tried to help Larry.  Larry first shot several rounds into his wife's car as she was driving away, and then turned the gun on Brian.  He held police at bay for several hours before he finally gave up.

By all accounts, Brian and Larry were best friends.  Brian knew that Larry had problems, but he'd tried to help him out as much as he could.  He gave his life trying to save Larry's wife, and ultimately trying to save Larry.

The Chief of Police declared that Brian had died in the line of duty, he had a duty to act and his actions saved the life of Larry's wife.  He was buried with the full honors befitting a fallen hero.  The picture in the siggie is of his fellow police officers at his gravesite.  (In fact, you can see my dad in the background, but that's not why I picked that one...lol).

Brain had just turned 37 (my age), and he left behind a wife who had been his high school sweetheart, and a ten year old daughter.

Larry was indicted yesterday on 19 counts, including the murder of his brother and the neighbor, and the attempted murder of his wife, his sister, his SIL, and four law enforcement officers.  He could face the death penalty.

According to everyone who knows this family, Larry literally suffered a pyschotic break and would have never hurt anyone, including his brother.  But he did, and this family, this community is devestated.

Please remember them in your prayers.

You can read the full account of the indictments here...
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.c...cle?AI...NEWS01/80102015

there is a box on the right hand side of the article with a complete listing of all of the articles printed, including a couple photo galleries.

There is even a very somber video of the funeral...but all you hear is the 21 gun salute, taps, and the hooves of the horse as it is led past in the *missing rider* tribute.  It is heart wrenching...

Thanks for asking for those who did.  And thank you for your prayers for this family.

Edited by chel, 03 January 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#2 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thank you for sharing the story behind the image, chel...I had wondered about it myself and thought perhaps it was somebody in your family who had sacrificed his life.  Although I have heard the police force described as a brotherhood, so if he was someone your father worked with, I guess he is family in a way.

How terrible and tragic.  My heart goes out to the survivors and the department.

#3 Mistypoo

Mistypoo

Pookie Hunter

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

I wondered too. That's so very sad. I'll keep his family in my thoughts. sad.gif

#4 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:06 AM

Chel -

I heard the story about Officer Evans right after it happened. When I noticed your signature, I assumed that Evans was someone close to you, and was afraid of what the answer might be if I asked about the nature of your relationship with him. Please forgive me for not approaching the subject sooner, but to be honest, due to some other personal matters, I didn't have the strength to speak to you about it at the time,based  on the off chance that he was close to you in some manner.

Law Enforcement IS a brotherhood, and we feel the loss of every individual officer as it echoes across the country. Evans' loss hit me particulary hard for some reason, and I think it has to do with the fact that his love for his brother was what cost him his life.

My heart and prayers go out to the men and women of the Mansfield Police Department, and the citizens of that community. I am deeply sorry for your loss. Based upon the actions which led to his final moments, I'm sure that Brian was a model officer, and someone I would have been proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with along the line.

"The Final Inspection"

The policeman stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining.
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, policeman.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My church have you been true?"

The policeman squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry badges
can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was rough,
and sometimes I've been violent,
Because the streets are awfully tough.

But I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep....
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here,
Lord, It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't.....I'll understand.

There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod.
As the policeman waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, policeman,
You've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in hell."

Author Unknown

"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#5 lilclairey2010

lilclairey2010

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:35 AM

i'll keep his family in my thoughts.

off duty cop that poem was amazing

Posted Image

Created by Silent Walker

#6 Guest_Silent Walker_*

Guest_Silent Walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for sharing that story, another hero killed in the line of duty....

Thoughts are with friends and family...

#7 LuvMyWeinerDog

LuvMyWeinerDog

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:19 AM

How devastating.  I will certainly keep the Evans family in my thoughts and prayers.

heart.gif  heart.gif  heart.gif
In Loving Memory of My Brother Peter
August 29, 1967 - August 6, 2006

#8 Gizmo

Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

My heart goes out to that family, and the family of the neighbor as well.  They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted Image

#9 Mia Camille

Mia Camille

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

my goodness i'm so sorry.....

#10 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

How truly heart-breaking. Thank you for sharing this story with us Chel. Brian and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.