#1 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Paranormal Stuff, Computer Games, Gadgets

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

What kind of headsets do you all listen to for your evps?  Since I play computer games I generally use the Steelseries Siberia Headsets which have their own soundcard, and I think they have good sound quality to pick up on all levels.  But, I'm getting a new computer soon, hopefully an iMac, and wonder what everyone else is using.  I don't mind spending money on a premium headset.
What now, Holmes?

#2 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Well, I ordered my computer yesterday and since I had to get a headset as soon as possible I got the SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full-Size Gaming Headset with Built-In USB Sound Card (Frost Blue).  In the meantime, I'd like to know what you all use.  Surely some are better than others for listening. :)  And if there's something better next time I order I'll get those.  Thanks!
What now, Holmes?

#3 Alonewitheverybody

Alonewitheverybody

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, urban exploration photos (although i don't partake) Derren Brown :-)

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

The sound is shockingly bad on my laptop. I just have plain old cheapy headphones (the ones that go inside you ear, so to speak) I'm not technically minded enough to use anything else! I'm not really in to music so have never considered buying decent headphones. May be a good idea for listening to evps though.
Posted Image
Created by SilentWalkerGStudy :-)

#4 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostAlonewitheverybody, on 27 October 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

The sound is shockingly bad on my laptop. I just have plain old cheapy headphones (the ones that go inside you ear, so to speak) I'm not technically minded enough to use anything else! I'm not really in to music so have never considered buying decent headphones. May be a good idea for listening to evps though.

You're using "earbuds"

I think more importantly along side headphones would be a amplifier or more specifically a multimedia speaker system with an amplified headphone jack.

#5 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

I use my computer headset.  I don't even know what it is.  It's not one of the super expensive ones but it's not a cheapie, either.  I tend to tell my husband (software engineer) what I want and what I want it to do when it comes to electronics and let him do the research.  He's my personal electronics shopper. :innocent0005: And he bought me this headset since I can't find the one I bought myself several years ago anywhere and I was making noises that I was thinking of using his super-expensive gaming headset since he doesn't use it that often.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#6 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I can't use earbuds, Alone, they constantly fall out of my ears!!  

Chris I hadn't gotten that far to think of a system.  What are you using?  I did a quick peak on Amazon and Bose has a nice system:  Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System for $399.  Although, I might have to use Bose headphones with it.  I'll have to do more research.  This computer I just got is going to have to last me a looonnnnggg time, so I want to get good peripherals with it.

Jean

Tantric, I tend to buy gaming headphones myself since those are designed to pick up all noises in the game, and I think are good for evps since they do that.  However, I don't know which ones are the best.
What now, Holmes?

#7 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Any good system will do. If you want to get technical the frequency range of both the amplifier and the headset should be a consideration, being the widest possible range. My personal favorite systems are Altec Lansing & Harman Kardon.

#8 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

The technical specs for the Siberia SteelSeries headset I ordered is:  
  • Frequency response: 18 - 28,000 Hz
  • Impedance: 40 Ohm
  • SPL@ 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 112 dB
  • Cable length: 6.5ft
  • Interface: USB
Is that frequency range wide enough?  I'll look at the Altec Lansing and Harman Kardon also. :)  Thanks for your advice!
What now, Holmes?

#9 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I checked and the Altec Lansing UHP326 Backbeat Titanium In-Ear Headphones - Enhanced Bass/Clarity frequency is 10 Hz - 20 kHz, so it picks up a lower frequency than the Syberia, but the Syberia picks up a little more higher frequency.  So it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, or is that expanded lower frequency more important?  I haven't checked any others yet.

BTW, did you say you use an Adobe program for clarifying your evps?  Which one is it, and how steep is the learning curve if I'm using Audacity now?

Edited by InquiringMind, 27 October 2013 - 12:57 PM.

What now, Holmes?

#10 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostInquiringMind, on 27 October 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I checked and the Altec Lansing UHP326 Backbeat Titanium In-Ear Headphones - Enhanced Bass/Clarity frequency is 10 Hz - 20 kHz, so it picks up a lower frequency than the Syberia, but the Syberia picks up a little more higher frequency.  So it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, or is that expanded lower frequency more important?  I haven't checked any others yet.

BTW, did you say you use an Adobe program for clarifying your evps?  Which one is it, and how steep is the learning curve if I'm using Audacity now?

Since I'm curious in Infrasound and Microbooms I consider the lower end over the high. Anything below 40 hertz is good.

Software wise Adobe Audition CS6 is my main goto app but I do also use DC8 w/forensics sometimes.
The learning curve on either is not that bad.

#11 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I absolutely love Harman Kardon speakers.  When the set I had died, I cried.  Literally lol

Haven't been able to afford anything decent sice they died, but I use a few different things. First I try it just with my speakers.  I have these: http://www.logitech....speaker?crid=47

For headsets, I will try the 3 different ones I have.  The earbud set that came with my mp3 player, http://www.radioshac...rValue=Gigaware and some kind of huge and heavy headset my husband uses when they record at the studio.

I will try them all before I form an opinion on what, if anything, I hear.  Many, many times I just don't hear anything out of the ordinary at all.  I believe that's probably because I'm not meant to.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#12 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

Got my computer Tuesday and it's fantastic!  It will take a iittle while to get used to the different controls, but it looks pretty easy.  The Apple keyboard is sure different!

Anyway, I noticed Steel Series has an upcoming headset, the 9H, that has the frequency starting at 10 hz, so I think I'll get it when it comes out.  I really want to hear as many frequencies as I can.
What now, Holmes?

#13 GaelTider

GaelTider

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, singing, writing, watching sports. ROLL TIDE!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

I use a good set of Bose noise canceling headphones. They are very clear, and with the noise-canceling function, it isolates the listening experience from other sounds, so it is easier to concentrate on the recording. Since many EVPs are pretty faint, it really helps.
Just 'cause I ain't smart don't mean I'm dumb!

#14 Kwekwe

Kwekwe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Closed back over the ear headset like the Audio-Technical ATH-M50, I tend to like the Sennheiser 429 too
Gravesend Paranormal Group https://www.youtube....LnoD411Cx2IgEbA

#15 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Bump for good info
Posted Image

#16 Mikaru

Mikaru

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

Yeah, I just made a new thread asking about this. Thanks for bumping.
file:///C:/Users/user/Desktop/FB_IMG_1485297485578.jpghttp://s1262.photobu...xibarn.jpg.html

I give up lol

#17 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

I used to swear blind that the headphones from Poundland here in the UK were really good value for money. They cost £1 or in USA terms $1.23

I used these for years and when the finally break due to usage I would just get another. That was until my youngest Son started to critise my choice in IT and he brought me a pair of Sennheiser's which are much much better quaslity and has lasted me 4 years so far. This is what I use on a daily basis on my main PC.

As for my notebook that I take out with me when doing my EVP testing etc I use something a bit better than the Poundland one's but are still cheap but they are over the ear types so help cut wind and ambient noise.

#18 siguie

siguie

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Yup for value Sennheiser is pretty darn amazing :yes:

Bose is "better" sound quality BUT unless you expect your ghost to be rapping in some heavy bass Sennheiser :yes:

Also you should check what your recorders range is ... no point in having headphones with better range than your recorder unless you just need an excuse for some serious headphones in which case yes you need Bose :yes:
- siguie -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users