9 replies to this topic

#1 kristap

kristap

Orb

• GS Member
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:spiritual, paranormal, psychic

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

My friend and I have been talking about and starting a ghost hunting team. We've been doing research and we are looking to start off small. Maybe starting with cemeteries during the day or some haunted places around town. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 3 to 13 so still pretty young. So being out all night is not an option for me at the moment.

I currently have no equipment. If I were to start with minimal equipment, what should it be? We plan on slowly acquiring equipment as we get experience.

Also what software would I need to be able to better tell what things are? (I can't think of the correct words I am looking for so I hope that is making sense.)

#2 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:54 AM

Hi Kris and welcome to the boards! what I'd recommend is looking out for some groups in your local area that go out investigating. For people new to the field, this is the best way to understand what's going on in your town and also learn a few tips and tricks!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#3 PIT leader

PIT leader

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal music,horror films

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

The way I've done it is to meet up with local friends who have similar interests/abilities and visit haunted areas nearby. Then I report back here with any evidence or experiences and pass on any knowledge we've gained and get more advice from the more experienced hunters on this board. I've learned so much in the past few years.
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#4 siguie

siguie

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

Heya  kristap   :sign0016:

Checking out cemeteries during the day and local paranormal hot spots is a good way to go :yes: I like haunted restaurants because you can chat up the staff for clues and stories. Then afterwards wander around with your cellphone recording and perhaps do a quick EVP session in a corner. Having a cellphone out helps keep you from looking like a nutjob too :yes:

As for equipment you should decide on what interests you the most. I am personally quite fond of cellphones as ghost hunting toolz but I know most will be cringing at the thought. However, cellphone cameras can be quite good, the audio recording can be eXcellent if you add a reasonable mic AND of course it's only a compass chip BUT you can get some EMF reading with it ... just take the readings with a few grains of salt.

Otherwise I would recommend taking old digital cameras and removing the IR filter. It's really pretty easy, very cheap and then for a few dollars you can get an IR Illuminator and you would have a nice little infrared video system for real cheap PLUS a nearly full spectrum camera {No UV}.

Another good cheap piece of equipment to pickup is a stereo digital recorder. That way if you do get an EVP you have two tracks to check out and you may even be able to pinpoint a direction from where it came.

Also the main thing to remember to do is be safe and have fun! :yes:

The first thing you will learn about going through data is that it's not nearly as much fun as collecting it :no: so get an idea of how things work and what you are interested in THEN decide on what equipment to get next :yes:
- siguie -

#5 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

Hi Kristap

It's daunting a bit when you first start but the buzz will keep you going. If you can find some local folks who are already doing investigations would help but I found all the groups here in the UK just want your cash to join them on their trips and it's a bit more of a show than a proper investigation so I am going it alone.

Post back her with question or asking for help is great as the biggest hurdle is knowing what may be activity or just your over enthusiasm when looking at your data like I did a few months back making a recorded script and I could of sworn I had an EVP on it but every here said no, so it was just my enthusiamam making the best but I know know what to listen for etc. I does help asking here.

Are you skeptic?

#6 L3G3ND4RY J37

L3G3ND4RY J37

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

hey whats up ghostly 1's, I'm new to the investigative aspect of the paranormal & would like to know what is the most efficient course of action, methodolgy & equipment nesassary to begin too acrue expierence?

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

View PostL3G3ND4RY J37, on 24 April 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

hey whats up ghostly 1's, I'm new to the investigative aspect of the paranormal & would like to know what is the most efficient course of action, methodolgy & equipment nesassary to begin too acrue expierence?

Hello and welcome to the boards, I personally don't do any investigating but I am sure other members will be along shortly who do; but here is a good website to start you off ;)

http://ghoststudy.co...5/menu_tips.htm
http://ghoststudy.com/detectors.html

Cheers and please make a new thread and give us some updates of your adventures :yes:
Posted Image

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

Thanks, Klainey.... but I see I need to do some updates on those pages.  

Posted Image
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#9 chapsparanormal

chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

I would say, make sure to keep your expectations true to form. It is a lot more boring than you'd think. Research is very important. Don't get hooked on orbs, they are too disprovable. But at the same time stick to your guns.
Peer review is very important. so make sure you are willing to accept help and critique.

I would state that audio, is your most important piece. Hands down. A camera to document the situation you are investigating in, video cam possibly to document what the team is doing.

I'd be more than happy to throw some more suggestion at you.
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#10 JamesRob

JamesRob

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation (obviously), movies, baseball, hockey, and I do manage to steal some time to read.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Just my two cents. You don't need a lot of fancy equipment to have a good investigation. A voice recorder and a flashlight are about all you really need to get started. A camera is also good, then build from there. I'd recommend seeing if you can find someone that thinks they might have a spirit in their house. That way it's a better controlled area, you don't have to worry about animals, weather, or other things that might contaminate evidence, and you might actually be helping someone. Finally, go in with low expectations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users