• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Louczar

Louczar

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

I have been to NY a few times for work.  I would go with my marketing team for the big TechX NY trade shows.  One year, we stayed in a hotel not far from where the twin towers were and very close to battery park.

All of the women I worked with were very attractive and would get invitations to other companies parties.  They would bring me along to enjoy the fun.  One night, we all had been invited to go to dinner at a nice place.  One of the other guys I worked with and I were getting tired and decided to leave after dinner rather than sit in the bar.  We decided to walk back to the hotel.  it was only a 10+ minute walk back and it would take us right through a part of battery park.

It had to be close to 11:00 as we headed back.  We were about half way through the park when we were getting close to a park bench just off the side of the walking path we were on.  The bench had an illuminated lamp post next to it and had some medium sized shrubs on both sides of the walking path by the bench.  The bench was 25-30 yds away when what looked like a dachshund walked out from under the shrubs across from the bench and was directly under the lamp.  It looked our direction and scampered forward under the bench and into the other shrubs.

I knew it as soon as I watched it scamper away.  I knew because I used to breed rats to sell to the pet store at the end of my street as a kid.  The tail and body movement was too obvious for me.  The coworker says "people need to keep up with their dogs".  I laughed and told him that was not a dog.  It was a NY rat.  This was nothing close to the rats I had.  It was not the size of a full grown dachshund.  Just a little bit smaller.  But, VERY big for a rat.  The coworker totally freaked out.  He stopped and would not go further.  He wanted to go back the other way...the long way.

I told him have a nice walk as I am going this way.  He didn't want to go back by himself.  He gave in only after I started walking in the same direction.  We did not see the rat again or any other.  This guy thought of himself as a well built macho guy.  I got the inclination that night he was all show....until we were at a trade show in California.  Microsoft rented out universal studios one night just for the trade show people.  The same guy, 2 other female coworkers and I went through "The Mummy" haunted pyramid attraction.  One of the workers dressed as a sphinx statue moved toward him quickly in one room.  He screamed like a little girl.  I about mad myself laughing at him...
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

You may have seen a Gambian pouched rat aka African giant pouched rat (Cricetomys gambianus), they have been found in NY city. They can grow up to 3 feet long and weigh up to 3.1 pounds. GPR in NY

Posted Image

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#3 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Ew.   I've seen some big rats swim up out of the sewers here during bad storms.   I don't know if I'd want to meet one in a dark alley on foot,  though.
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#4 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

We have three pet rats here and I usually let them run wild in the yard about three days a week. At least long enough for them to get some exercise. They are the kindest gentlest animals I have ever encountered. Okay, I know, I know,  wild rats are a whole different story... and if I saw one like that in NY City, I would freak out... and be looking for a big stick really fast!  ..... And be prepared to use it! That's scary when African wild rats show up in NYC and can grow to 3 feet long!  :o

Thanks for sharing, Louczar... and as usual, I love the story and your description of the events, well written. It's always fun to see a macho co-worker's true self in a scary situation. :)  
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#5 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

Domesticated rats are not at all the same as rats that take out unsuspecting crows (it wasn't even a big rat I saw do that).
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#6 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,639 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 21 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

Domesticated rats are not at all the same as rats that take out unsuspecting crows (it wasn't even a big rat I saw do that).

That's scary, it must have been starving for chicken and settled for crow.  : |
I wonder if anybody ever caught something like that on video? But then again, it would be too sad to watch.  : /
Posted Image

#7 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 21 June 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

That's scary, it must have been starving for chicken and settled for crow.  : |
I wonder if anybody ever caught something like that on video? But then again, it would be too sad to watch.  : /

Yes, I've seen a few videos of rats vs crows. If you're squeamish about animals fighting, don't click on the links.

In this one it's a draw, because someone comes in and breaks it up. Crow vs Rat
In this video, the rat was winning, but again someone stepped in and broke it up , but I think the rat was killed. They were behind a bush, but you can see the person stomp down, so I think the rat was killed. Rat vs Crow

Edited for spelling.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 21 June 2016 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

My Shop

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,639 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

Thanks, MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe... The first one wasn't so bad, but I'm afraid to watch the second one.  :ermm:
Posted Image

#9 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 21 June 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Thanks, MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe... The first one wasn't so bad, but I'm afraid to watch the second one.  :ermm:

I will spend the time on more constructive activities :yucky:

#10 Kaida

Kaida

Apport

• GS Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Aw, I love rats, and rodents in general.  I've had all of them as pets at one time or another.  Rats are also very smart, and sweet.

Jim, how do you keep track of your rats in the yard?  How kind of you to let them outside to live a more enriching life.  If I ever have another rodent, I'm going to do that.

#11 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,703 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

We used have a member who loved rats, had one as their avatar. Arkansus Rattus or something??
Posted Image

#12 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 23 June 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

We used have a member who loved rats, had one as their avatar. Arkansus Rattus or something??

I think it was Draco Rattus.

Posted Image

My Shop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users