Free Skins
© Fisana

Ever Woken Up To See A Figure That Suddenly Disappeared?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

This has happened to me on several rare occasions. The latest was last night.

I went to sleep in bed while my husband B snoozed on the sofa in the living room. This is typical for us, as he is a snorer and I am a very light and restless sleeper, so we start out sleeping separately and if he wakes up later, he comes to bed.  After a brief period of light dozing (I was in a sleep state, but not a deep enough one to dream or breathe deeply), I opened my eyes because something in the room distracted me.

At first it looked like B was walking toward the bed. I saw a human sized shape and assumed B was coming in to lay down. The room was quite dark except for the plug-in light in the adjoining bathroom, which means that I could see the outline of the furniture in the room, but everything looked heavily shadowed, fuzzy, and colorless. I saw the figure move quickly from the other side of the room to my side of the bed. I didn't move and only saw part of it, but it looked like a vaguely male figure (I just assumed it was male because of the general size and I just had a sense that it seemed male rather than female) wearing some kind of pale cotton pajamas.  B doesn't wear these kind of pajamas and never has.  Now that the figure was right next to the bed, I could see that it was transparent. I reached out to touch it and the figure dissolved and disappeared into nothing.  I was alone in the room.  It felt like all of this happened in the space of a second or two.  I looked at the clock and saw that about an hour had passed since I turned out the light.  B was still out in the living room sleeping soundly.

In the past, when I have had similar experiences, it also involved seeing white cotton material--in the previous case, what appeared to be the bed-sheet standing straight up on its own as if some invisible force was about to pull the sheet over my face and smother me with it. When I put my arms out, they moved right through the "sheet" and the "sheet" disappeared. Just like the figure last night.

I think that these types of dreams are most likely hallucinations caused by the abrupt transition between sleep and wakefulness. (http://en.wikipedia....pnagogia#Sights)

I am curious to see if anyone has had similar experiences, and if you believe that yours was just a dream or hallucination, or if you think it was something more ghostly like an apparition.

#2 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I had a similar experience once before but I wasn't in bed.  I was actually on my way home from work.  

I used to work for a staff agency and I did warehouse work which was very tiring.  I used to get up at 4am then get picked up by mini bus for a half hour journey to work.  During that half an hour I used to try and get some sleep as it was a long, hard day.

At 5.30 we used to leave.  A friend an I used to travel along side the driver in the front and I always tried to get to sleep on the way home.   Because it was a mimi bus, as you can imagine the seats were pretty uncomfortable so I was alway drifting in and out of sleep.  I someone spoke to me I would hear them and usually answere them even if I was half asleep.

One evening just as we were almost home, about a mile away from my stop I remember waking up and looking straight up the road ahead.  This was a main road and usually there would be traffic travelling in the opposite direction but it was quiet.  It was getting dark and the street lights were just coming on.

As I opened my eyes I could clearly see a huge horse running in the road in front of us.  It was as clear as anything right down to its matted Maine and tail.  It looked just like a wild horse.  But it was running at the sme paece as the bus,  I know I was awake as I can clerly remember that i had been either dreaming or thinking about taking my mum on a cruise or working ship for her birthday so I don't know what a horse had to do with it.  It must have even running for what seeme like 10 seconds so I didn't just blink an see it, it was definitely there in my eyes,  and then it disappeared.

I asked if anyone else had seen that horse and they just wondered what the heck I was on about.  So I shut up before they thought I was mad.

I still remember it clearly and it was so vivid at the time I was thinking about it for days later.

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#3 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

That's a pretty strange sighting, PW.  I think seeing something like that would freak me out, given the public setting. Who knows...your experience might have been something more than just a hypnagogic hallucination.

#4 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yep, one night in bed I awoke to see a figure floating above me, I was terrified so closed my eyes tightly and when I opened them the figure was gone.  I put it down to some kind of waking dream.
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#5 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

I remember you saying about that before, Claire.  That would definitely freak me out.  What with that and the knocks at your bedroom door and the stuff flying off your shelves.  

I apologise for my awful spelling and grammar in that last post.  It was really late and I was very tired so couldn't concentrate.

It didn't freak me out at the time, Kate, it was more the fact I was wondering what the heck a horse was doing running up the road in front of us.  It bugged me for ages because I know I saw it and no-one else did.  And it was more the fact I know what I was thinking about or even dreaming about at the time which had absolutely nothing to do with horses.

I had one experience at home though, not with figures or sightings but I have said this before where I was being srangled in bed an I woke up and it was still there for a few seconds then it just suddenly went.  Now that DID scare the living day lights out of me but I put that down to sleep paralysis now.

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

#6 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah I think my case was Sleep Paralysis too Fi.  Has just happened the once as far I can remember.  I'm sure I'd remember if it had happened before lol.   I do have weird sleep patterns, always have.  Had night terrors as a child as well.  I'm not sure what the knocking could be, it happens 99% of the time when I'm alone in the house but there was 1 occasion I had friends over, having a few drinks and someone pounded on the back window.  Nobody there and you can't get in the garden unless you come through the back gate which is a fair distance from the house.   Spooked us all out :)
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#7 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Paranormal Stuff, Computer Games, Gadgets

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yep, I get them.  It's actually considered a sleep disorder, and when you get them while waking up the term is called, "hypnopompic hallucinations".  (oops just reread your post and you already referenced it, sorry.)  It can be pretty scary, and at times I've asked myself if it is a nightmare, hallucination or am I actually seeing something.  Last week I had the Para recording app on when I went to sleep and did actually record a sound and knocks when I woke up from it.  There was a figure standing by my bed looking at me.  After a second or two it disappeared.  Other times I've had them when I've had to take back pain medication with codeine which I know causes hallucinations.  I know that's from the disorder and the med and have learned to stay away from those medications.

I have sleep apnea and my sleep stages are all mixed up, which can cause really strange reactions.  I sleep only about 2 hours at a time, and only fall into a deep sleep around 3 am and that is when I finally dream.  The dreams can be really clear at those times, and I can remember them if I wake up quickly.  

I've had two sleep studies done and I sure wish I'd have one of these episodes of waking up while seeing something then, but of course it never happens.

Edited by InquiringMind, 23 August 2013 - 12:13 PM.

What now, Holmes?

#8 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

I have been taking medication for 6 years after pregnancy screwed up my back and hips, which are the strongest painkillers containing codine and caffeine.  Thankfully I've never had hallucinations but its certainly worth remembering if I ever do...  Could be a factor.

Posted Image

#9 Sinohmi

Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Just wondering why they would stare at you? Any other reported interactions? Why can't we get paranormal foot massages instead of starring contest (which they are not very good at if only a couple seconds) with apparitions? If this is an actual event, are they purposely waiting for you to see them? If they wanted to avoid you why not stand somewhere else or if they see you stirring leave before you get up? I think I would go with the sleep disorder.

Edited by Sinohmi, 24 August 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#10 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Here is a link of a an experience I had after a nightmare on Aug 15, 2013:  https://app.box.com/...vp4wagz93hxf1dv

I woke up and saw a figure standing next to my bed.  I recall seeing horizontal bands of color on it.  The recorder was the Para app on my iPad, set to only record when there is an abnormal reading.  You'll first hear a thump, then a hiss (which may be me when I saw the figure) and then 4 knocks.  My neighbor said they sound like drums to her.  At the end you will hear a sound that could be my cat.

The next day I left a voice activated recorder on in the bedroom in the same spot and went around knocking on different doors and walls where I lived to try to recreate the sound but was unable to.

So, what do you think?  I had not had any pain meds which would cause the hallucination, and something triggered the app on.  Maybe the first thump was my cat jumping down?  But the knocks were not me or the cats.  It was 4:50 AM.  Did I wake up in sleep paralysis and actually see something?  Or did the sounds coincide with a dream I was having, as can happen?  What triggered the app?

I'm interested in any and all opinions!  Thanks.

Edited by InquiringMind, 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM.

What now, Holmes?

#11 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostInquiringMind, on 29 August 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Here is a link of a an experience I had after a nightmare on Aug 15, 2013:  https://app.box.com/...vp4wagz93hxf1dv

I woke up and saw a figure standing next to my bed.  I recall seeing horizontal bands of color on it.  The recorder was the Para app on my iPad, set to only record when there is an abnormal reading.  You'll first hear a thump, then a hiss (which may be me when I saw the figure) and then 4 knocks.  My neighbor said they sound like drums to her.  At the end you will hear a sound that could be my cat.

The next day I left a voice activated recorder on in the bedroom in the same spot and went around knocking on different doors and walls where I lived to try to recreate the sound but was unable to.

So, what do you think?  I had not had any pain meds which would cause the hallucination, and something triggered the app on.  Maybe the first thump was my cat jumping down?  But the knocks were not me or the cats.  It was 4:50 AM.  Did I wake up in sleep paralysis and actually see something?  Or did the sounds coincide with a dream I was having, as can happen?  What triggered the app?

I'm interested in any and all opinions!  Thanks.

I have never used the app in question, so I don't know anything about it or how it works.  When you say "abnormal reading," I'm not sure what is being measured by the app that would have been at an "abnormal" level.  I do hear the knocks (faintly) and some bumps/shuffles at the end which, as you say, could be noises made by a cat.  The hiss toward the beginning sounds very mechanical to me; hard to say what that could be.

#12 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Sorry you couldn't hear it.  Did you use headphones turned up?  If you use Audacity I can post the Audacity file.  The problem is that it's just a little too large to be uploaded here.  I could cut out some space in the middle but it might miss something.

The Para app records in uT and their default is for the recording to start logging with the EMF rises above 70 uT or below 30 uT.  I'm new at this so didn't want to change anything.  I have a digital recorder coming in tomorrow that will record better but this is what I had to start working with in the beginning.  The main thing is the app should not have started recording.

I'm  pretty sure the hissing sound at the beginning is me as I had a hard time getting anything out of my mouth, and I had my CPAP mask on (full face mask for sleep apnea).  I think I hissed.  If you can listen closer to the sounds there is the sound of a cat at the very end vocalizing.  Believe me, I recorded them enough so I wouldn't mistake their sounds, lol..  Once I did record really, really strange sounds and thought I had gotten something but decided to record my cat.  He has these grunting type sounds he makes softly which, when recorded, sounds strangely human.

If you can think of a better way for me to get the Audacity file on here let me know.  I reduced it to mP3 and there are other options, but I'm not familiar with what they all do.
What now, Holmes?

#13 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

I used headphones and could hear the sounds you described--I was just commenting on what it sounded like on my end.  The CPAP machine is probably what made the hiss sound mechanical.

For any in-depth analysis of an EVP recording, I would recommend starting a new topic in the Share Your Ghostly Photos, EVPs, and Videos sub-section of the forum (since we're starting to veer away from the original subject of this thread).  As far as Audacity-related matters, there is a good tutorial here: http://www.paranorma...showtopic=29437 that I'm sure will explain better than I could.

#14 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

When you describe the figure as wearing cottoney type clothes it reminds me of the old Spiritualist photographs where they would photograph gauze like ectoplasm beginning to form.  I am thinking you saw a full body apparition.
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#15 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostAmethyst, on 04 September 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

When you describe the figure as wearing cottoney type clothes it reminds me of the old Spiritualist photographs where they would photograph gauze like ectoplasm beginning to form.  I am thinking you saw a full body apparition.

I know the types of photos you're talking about.  The clothing on this figure looked like either an old-fashioned men's nightshirt (like Ebenezer Scrooge would have worn), or a classic cotton button-up pajama shirt with matching pants.  Either way it looked more like the type of sleepwear men would have worn in the past than what guys usually wear as PJ's today.  

Not sure what an apparition wearing that type of clothing would have been doing in my room.  This house has never seemed active in any way and no one's had any other experiences here.  My first husband passed away in the hospital and his hospital gown was cotton...but of all the clothes he could choose for a spirit visit, I doubt he would wear that!  :)

#16 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

It happens to me often Auggie. I just chalk it up to me never being able to sleep straight through the night.

#17 Icanhearyou

Icanhearyou

EVP

• GS Member
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mediums, Haunted Houses, EVP's, Ghosts, TV shows about ghosts. Not really all that interested when it comes to UFO's and Bigfoot.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

About a year ago, I was at my boyfriend's place and fell asleep. When he woke me, I opened my eyes and saw a red-headed girl standing in front of me and she smiled. I closed my eyes and shook my head a little and she was gone when my eyes opened (this was at night but the lights in the room were on). When I was a little more awake, I noticed there was a long shoe rack hanging on the door (which was in front of me), with shoes in it and an orange hat hanging from the shoes in the very top rack. So I suppose its possible that I didn't actually see a girl, and my half-awake mind turned the shoes and the hat into one lol.
Posted Image
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

#18 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostIcanhearyou, on 09 September 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

So I suppose its possible that I didn't actually see a girl, and my half-awake mind turned the shoes and the hat into one lol.
Posted Image

I think that's definitely a possibility.  The mind can work in strange ways when it tries to create logical patterns out of otherwise ambiguous stimuli.

#19 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:36 AM

Freaky things like this happen in my house.

I was on my way down to my bedroom just turned off the kitchen light. In our bedroom, we have a Himalayan light that was on. I see what looked exactly like my husband cross the doorway to walk into our ensuite; only when I walked down the hallway to the bedroom he was fast asleep in bed. So not too sure who or what I saw! :fright:

My friend who was staying at my home while her house was getting built. Said she was awake in bed having trouble getting to sleep she was tossing and turning and when she turned over again she said she saw an aboriginal female dressed in dark raggy clothes, standing at the side near the head of the bed. She said she could see through her body to the shiny surface of the wardrobe. I asked her if she thought she could have been asleep and dreaming but she assured me she was wide awake and had been for a while. I was shocked to find my friend's reaction was to turn over again ( face away from the woman) and lay there awake under the bed covers. :confused:I couldn't have turned my back I would have had to keep an eye on her!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#20 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, I never understood people turning away/hiding under the covers. They could be creeping towards you!
Posted Image