weight loss diet

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, long-time member of Richard III Society, poking around castles, travel, reading, writing fiction.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Sooooooo...this is the only forum I belong to that I visit with any regularity, and I don't want to join a dieting forum on Weight Watchers or anything like that...It just results in more junk in my inbox.

I started my "25lbs gone by 50" diet two weeks ago. I will be 50 this year, and weight has slowly been creeping on...I'm currently at 150.

Here's what I'm doing: diet - 800-1,000 cals per day of mostly low-fat, low-sugar foods. I'm having a hard time with the carbs, as fruit is probably my favorite thing in the entire world but I AM trying to limit it. I'm drinking BUCKETS of water - at least 4 litres/day. I'm taking orlistat/xenical - 120mgs before every meal. Exercise: I was walking maybe three miles 4xweek...but then it snowed and while I can walk in the snow, I'm afraid of the drivers in Belgium - they don't know how to drive in the snow and always have accidents. I don't want to be in their way. So, I joined a gym day before yesterday and did a good walk on their treadmill. Was planning on going yesterday and using their weight machines but couldn't get out of my drive (long story involving snow, ice, weird tires, salt and sand). will try again today. My plan was to do cardio one day, and weight training the next, etc...I walk a good 15-minute mile, so I'm going along at a good clip.

I have NOT LOST ONE POUND.

I am so frustrated and upset I feel like crying. I'm gonna give it the rest of this week but if by Monday I'm stil at 150, I'll call my Dr.  In the meantime, comments, thoughts, questions or any good jokes would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Image

Edited by sassenach123, 17 January 2013 - 01:03 AM.

Stranger stop and cast an eye

As you are now so once was I

As I am now so you will be

Prepare for death and follow me

#2 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

This is just my opinion and I am no expert but.... OMG!!! I feel you are drinking "WAY" to much water. This is dangerous and can cause serious heath problems. I did a fast research to see how much we are suppose to drink in a day and it says 2.5 litter per day. They say you can drink a little more than that if it's hot out or if you're perspiring a lot when exercising/working.

I personally normally drink at the very most 2 litres a day and that is calculating the fluids I get from my fruits and veggies, tea/coffee/and the very rare occasion, a soft drink/pop.... I have always been this way.

This is just a personal observation I made and I told my sister about it and she tried it and she was amazed when she tried it.

A few years back I read that we were suppose to drink a lot of water. At that time I was drinking about a litre and a half a day to 2 liters. I was never a big drinker. I was also a little underweight. Always weighted 105lbs since my teen years up to about 45 years old. That's when I started forcing myself to drink more because of what the "experts" say we are suppose to drink 2 1/2 litres a day.

Well from forcing myself to drinking more I noticed I started gaining weight. Then I started thinking....(I'm a thinker. LOL..) I noticed a lot of heavy people always have a drink in their hands. The worst is that it is often diet pop (which I call poison. LOL..). Since it's diet pop they think they can drink as much as they want. And they are thinking that drinking more will make them less hungry so they spend all day drinking. Not Good! It becomes a habit (addiction) of always drinking something. They feel lost if they don't have a drink in their hands and so feel they are missing something and it all started because they were told to drink a lot to loose weight. I call it brain washing to drink more. LOL..

I then stopped forcing myself to drink more and only drank when I was thirsty. If I was hot and/or perspiring a lot from working then I would force myself to drink a little more. When I went back to drinking the way I used to I began to loose weight and went back to my 105 lbs. I tried the test again and forced myself to drink more and I stated gaining weight again!

My sister was as small as I was but in her mid thirties she started gaining a lot of weight and she too just couldn't loose weight and I noticed she too always had a diet drink in her hands. I told her to try this simple test to see if it would work and she agreed.

I told her to throw away "ALL" her drinks, specially her diet soft drinks/pop. I told her to get a container to hold 2 1/2 litres of water. Then try and limit herself from drinking so much by only using the water in this container only to drink and make her teas, coffee, juices. And if she did drink a glass of pop or any other drink or store bought liquid then to go to her container and pour out a glass of water and throw it down the drain. And at the end of the day or the next morning she can then refill the container. This was to show her how much she is suppose to drink in a day and show her she was drinking way too much fluids and that is why she couldn't loose weight.

I was trying to get her out of the habit of drinking so much. I told her of course if she was working in the hot sun digging in her garden and sweating a lot then of course she would have to drink a little more. I told her to try and save enough water so that she can drink 1 glass of water just before eating. "They" say it helps you to not be so hungry and so will eat less if you drink a glass of water just before you eat. So that's at least 3 cups of water from your 2 1/2 litre container.
Anyway, my sister tried to stick to my advise even though she though that it was stupid because she didn't believe you can gain weight from drinking diet pop, water, liquids, but was willing to try anything. Well she was amazed because she did started loosing weight and dropped quiet a few pounds.

So my advice to you would be to cut down on your liquid intake to at least no more than 3 litres a day for a month or so, so that your body gets used to not having so much liquids then work it down to 2/12 litres after that. And if you drink a lot of sweet drinks then you would have to reduce your intake even slower because your body is used to sweets and if you cut out all your sweets then your body will react to that because it would be a shock to your system and that's not good.

Like an alcoholic, they can not just stop drinking cold turkey. It's actually dangerous for them to do so and should see their doctor before quitting. Their bodies is so used to having to process all the sugar that if they stop drinking cold turkey their body could go into shock. They have to drink a lot of sweet drinks like orange juice etc to replace the sugar their body was used to getting in their alcohol drinks. Yes there is a lot of sugar even in beer. Then with time they also have to slowly wean themselves off of their sugar intake.

I did a fast search and here is a link to "Can You Drink Too Much Water?" (The answer is yes)
http://www.weightlos..._much_water.htm

Anyway, if you try my advice it's at your own risk. I know nothing about your health so don't know how it will affect your body's system. You have to be logical about your water intake and listen to what your body is telling you. If you're really thirty then by all means drink a glass of water but don't drink because of habit. :) If you are always overly thirsty to be drinking 4 litres a day then I would advise you to go see your doctor because it could be a sign you are becoming or are diabetic, or a sign of some other heath problems.

Sorry for such a long post. :(
Please keep us update on how you are doing.

#3 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, long-time member of Richard III Society, poking around castles, travel, reading, writing fiction.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

ROFL!! thanks for your response! To be honest, I'm having a hard time getting that much water into me (and spend a good deal of time getting it OUT of me....) so cutting back will be no strain. I do notice a great imrpovement in my skin, however.

#4 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Have you consulted a doctor? It could possibly be something else. I had a friend that i heard had a thyroid problem that caused him to gain a lot of weight. You mentioned taking medication. Is weight gain a possible side effect?

I don't think you should worry about the actual weight #. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you could be replacing your fat with muscle, therefore not really noticing a difference on the scale.

Also, worrying/stress can cause you to gain weight. :pinch:

Is 800 - 1000 cals. healthy for females that also work out? Though it sounds like a light workout. If you're forcing yourself to drink more water than needed, then possibly some of it is just water weight?

#5 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'm seeing my Dr. on Monday for a blood test to rule out any thyroid issues and to check my homone levels. I had a radical hysterectomy last year which forced me into full-on menopause. I'm using HRT, but only estrogen, not progesterone, so that could be an issue too. The orlistat I mentioned is a fat blocker - OTC known as Alli. I'm on some other medications too, but those are lifelong commitments, I'm afraid, so if they're the culprits (I don't think they are) then I'll just have to be overweight.

As to a light workout...well...I've been pretty sedintary for about 5 years now, so walking 3 miles every other day and alternating that with weights is about all I can do right now...if I push myself too hard, I could injure something! lol. I feel like my calorie intake is about right for weight loss. I'm not starving at all. And here in Belgium the produce is all organic - no pesticides or GMFs, no hormones or additives in the meats, so you feel the benefit of the food a lot more than [I did] in America. I am a recovering alcoholic (20 years sober) so I'm not drinking anything but water and green tea, and 2 cups of coffee in the am. Giving up my cocacola habit was hard, but I'm 2 weeks without one now!

Edited by sassenach123, 17 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#6 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Unless you're about 135cm you're not consuming enough calories and I'd bet your body has gone into starvation mode (holding on to every bit of fat it can).

A woman who's in her 50s or older and average height needs at least 1600 calories a day to maintain weight, more if she's active.  They don't recommend you drop below 1200 calories a day to avoid your body going into starvation mode.

A 15 minute mile is fairly sedentary.  Even at my heaviest (more than twice what I should weigh at my height) I could do a 10 minute mile without feeling like I was pushing myself at all.

You should talk to your doctor about a healthy diet when you see him/her.  I don't really believe in "dieting" but rather in making healthy changes that one can maintain for a lifetime.  I also believe in adding rather than limiting.  The way this works is to eat nutritious food that looks a lot like it did coming out of the ground (or off the animal) -- a lot of it -- before you eat something not so good for you and limiting the not so good for you foods to a single serving (which means knowing what a serving looks like... a problem for Americans, probably not so much for Europeans).  So if I wanted a hamburger and fries for lunch I'd eat a salad and an apple and maybe some broccoli, then I'd have the hamburger and probably be too full to eat all of it, let alone the fries.  If I want chocolate I have a small piece of chocolate, not a king size bar that's five servings.  I turned my diet around from fast food three meals a day to fairly healthy eating that way about ten years ago and lost a ton of weight (from the aforementioned twice what I should weigh to just a bit overweight).

Then I had my younger son and put on a TON of weight (back to twice what I should weigh plus not a small amount) due to hormonal changes.  I didn't change my diet except to actually watch how much I was putting in my mouth instead of eating whatever I wanted when I was hungry.  I didn't lose any weight.  I started walking.  I didn't lose any weight.  Then I changed jobs from one where I sat most of the day (even though it was a physically demanding job in spurts) to one where I'm basically working out two to four hours a day (sweating).  I have lost 100+ pounds in the last 13 months and am well on my way to a normal weight.  I'm still fat but I have a six pack under the fat and am probably in the best shape of my life.  If you want to lose weight sweat every single day for at least half an hour.  Of course, make sure that there aren't any problems that would keep you from doing so when you see your doctor before you do this.  Healthy eating you can do yourself -- we all know what good food is and what not so good food is -- but make sure it's sustainable to be healthy over a lifetime instead of trying to lose weight right now because when you stop trying to lose weight you'll gain all the weight back and then some.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

The last time I weighed 150 pounds was....high school :P  If I was at 150 now, I'd probably walk around naked every minute of my life.  Of course, that may get me arrested, but I'd look smokin' in my mug shots! :P

On a serious note though, I was never one to count calories.  I can tell you what I did that helped me lose weight.  The only, and I mean only, thing I changed about my diet was bread.  Bread was (and continues to be) my ultimate downfall.  I knocked out the bread and started walking 2 miles a day.  I was always a water drinker (my parents had well water - dang I miss the days when I could fill up a bunch of bottles there).

If you're having trouble, I suggest you speak to your doctor.  Get a referral to a nutrionist if possible.  I personally didn't go that route because of all the foods that I don't like.  I got sick of hearing "Well, you just have to force yourself to eat it".  Um, no I don't.

What works for one person isn't going to work for another.  Everyone is unique.

Oh, and God bless you for giving up soda.  If I did that, I'd DEFINITELY end up in prison.  ~nods~
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#8 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

thanks you guys...I knew my ghosty peeps would be supportive and have suggestions!

I hear what all of you are saying and have am already changing my attitude from "weight loss" to "fitness".

But still - two weeks and not a single pound? doesn't that seem weird? Even if muscle is heavier than fat, even if i'm doing things wrong, even if I'm not exercising quite up to standard...I should have at least seen some initial water weight drop off.

Anyway - seeing Dr. on Monday.

#9 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Another thing occurred to me today. You might have a slow metabolism. I'm not a doctor, but i think you can try to increase it by eating more often, but with smaller portions. Have something to eat about every three hours if possible, and nothing three hours before you sleep.

I concur with the suggestion of working up a sweat for a half hour a day. Have you considered trying aerobic exercises? IMHO they're fun, and a great way of getting fit. They used to have it on tv here daily, so you could do it in the privacy of your own home. I don't see it any more, but that's probably because i no longer have cable.

#10 margotkitten

margotkitten

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

kudos for excercising and watching your diet...

I eat a lot of frozen veggies..just watch out for the sodium content....and baked fish...
I don't count calories but don't buy/eat really unhealthy foods except maybe as a treat..
rice crispie bars are my new treat. it has way less fat than the other junk food I was eating..
I try to swap out healthier foods for the fattier ones...
all I can say is don't give up yet and don't go to extremes-dieting or exercising..
consult a nutriontist or look up healthy things to eat....
watch your sodium intake...

good luck!

Edited by margotkitten, 19 January 2013 - 04:47 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ok.. First of all, throw out your scale! Stop judging your progress by how many pounds you've lost, and start judging by how your clothes fit, that is a better way to tell if you're progressing.

I have been waging the same war, and I honestly don't know how much weight I've lost, but I've dropped 6 pant sizes.

This is the plan I have been doing. I carb cycle.
It's 2 days of low carb, 1 day high carb, 2 days low carb, 1 day low carb, and a guilt free day.
On low carb days, I have carbs in the morning and I don't eat carbs for the rest of the day. I eat as many veggies as I want, but no fruit, no bread, no grains after breakfast. I also eat protein and a healthy fat at every meal. I eat 6 meals a day, every 3 hours.
This is for all meals in the day.
On high carb days, I replace the healthy fat with a healthy carb (whole grains, fruits, etc.)
On guilt free days, it's exactly like it sounds, I eat what ever I want. Eating this way help kick start the metabolism. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods.

I also found that adding some light weight lifting to build lean muscle has helped me lose faster. (Although I have been adding heavier weights into my routine too)

Hope this helps!

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostHelenaHandBaskettGStudy, on 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok.. First of all, throw out your scale! Stop judging your progress by how many pounds you've lost, and start judging by how your clothes fit, that is a better way to tell if you're progressing.

I have been waging the same war, and I honestly don't know how much weight I've lost, but I've dropped 6 pant sizes.

This is the plan I have been doing. I carb cycle.
It's 2 days of low carb, 1 day high carb, 2 days low carb, 1 day low carb, and a guilt free day.
On low carb days, I have carbs in the morning and I don't eat carbs for the rest of the day. I eat as many veggies as I want, but no fruit, no bread, no grains after breakfast. I also eat protein and a healthy fat at every meal. I eat 6 meals a day, every 3 hours.
This is for all meals in the day.
On high carb days, I replace the healthy fat with a healthy carb (whole grains, fruits, etc.)
On guilt free days, it's exactly like it sounds, I eat what ever I want. Eating this way help kick start the metabolism. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods.

I also found that adding some light weight lifting to build lean muscle has helped me lose faster. (Although I have been adding heavier weights into my routine too)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing I like your life style change even more than mine

It is 6 small meals per day - eating at every 2 hours- no exercise other than walking- start off with 3 protein only days- tea and coffee with milk is OK- Try not to do protein shakes you actually burn calories digesting whole food instead of fluid substitutes.  

After the 3 days .. it is a combination of 6 days then 1 free day. So on the 4 day you have  6 small protein meals with 3 of those meals e.g. breakfast; lunch and dinner; you would  add low carbohydrates  to the  meals. Again simple carbs like fruit are OK up to the lunch meal. The other 3 meals you can have protein bars; nuts; meat;  fish or chicken.

Then on the 7th day it is a food free day or high carb!

Edited by klainey, 19 January 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#13 Wycked

Wycked

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

As already mentioned, you're consuming way too much water (I've always heard to drink half of your body weight in ounces) and definitely not enough calories. I've dropped 65-70 pounds counting calories and working out at least 5-6 days a week. As we age though, the weight is gonna be harder to take off. Don't beat yourself up. You're taking a step in the right direction.

As Helena said, throw out the scale. Let the tape measure and the way your clothes fit be the indicator of success. I also agree with her saying to throw in some weightlifting, but I'm not talking the little 2.5# weights. Go as heavy as you possibly can without injury and increase the weight as you don't feel it's challenging enough. Weights are an important part to maintaining good bone health and building up muscle to protect joints, as well as fighting osteoporosis. Remember, we're women though. We're not gonna look like the Incredible Hulk. We don't have the genetics to get bulky like men, so lift away without worry (some women don't like the muscled look while others do). As we gain lean muscle, that will also speed up your metabolism and you'll actually burn more calories with muscle in your body. Who doesn't like that idea? LOL

#14 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

thanks, you guys.

I am on week 3 of a low-fat, low-sugar, carbs very limited. I'm not drinking the amount of water I was at the beginning. My husband has lost 12 pounds. I've lost ZERO. I have TRIED to keep up my gym schedule but you have to understand that in Belgium, when it snows, the country comes to a complete standstill. They don't plow anything except major roads and I live out in the country down a very long drive so have been snowed in for a few days. I've been active in the house, dancing, doing floor exercises.  I am supposed to go to the Dr. this morning for blood work but don't think I'll be able to get out as it snowed again last night. (Our tires aren't like they are in the states where cars automatically come with snow-able tires...we have to do the whole switch-over thing every season - archaic - but I didn't get the snow tires this year because we had virtually no snow last year...blah blah)

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. I've worked hard to stay away from my triggers and despite seeing no movement on the scale, have stuck to my guns. For me - personally - having drastically cut calories and increased exercise and then see no budge in the scale is EXTREMELY weird. I would gladly throw the scale out if I knew that I was actually LOSING SOMETHING and on the right track. it's like my whole system is comletely static. I know my body...I know that this isn't how it works or responds, but am also aware that between that LAST time I lost weight and now, I went through six years of peri-menopause and then menopause itself - a full year with no periods (yay!) so am wondering if hormones - or possibly something else - is seriously messed up as a result. Even if I shift the focus to FITNESS rather than WEIGHT LOSS, this isn't normal.

Even with all your wonderful, helpful and very appreciated comments, you guys have to admit that after three weeks and absolutely no budge on the scale, something isn't right??

Seriously - thank you....SO supportive! If you don't hear from me again it's because I drove into a snowbank and Belgium won't dig me out until spring. :wallbash:
--Pam

#15 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

As i had stated earlier, muscle weighs more than fat. So while you might be losing fat, your gaining muscle, thus the scale doesn't change. Give it a little more time and you might begin to find your clothes a little more loose fitting.

I don't know if i can agree with the lifting as much weight as possible and not bulk up. Maybe women don't get as bulky as men, but i think women would still develop some size. People that want to develop strength without the bulk would go for more repetitions instead of higher weight, so that is an alternative choice for developing muscle.

Edited by Ghuoest, 21 January 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#16 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, that is actually a misnomer A pound of fat and a pound of muscle each way a pound. Muscle however is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space than the pound of fat would. I saw a great visual online somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it and post it here..

TK brought up a great point, because you are severely limiting your calories, your body is probably going into starvation mode. The mistake that people make when they diet is to eat less. In reality, they should be eating often. And remember it quality compared to quantity when it comes to eating. I don't know if you have these books in Belgium, but look for Tosca Reno's "The Eat Clean Diet" and "Your Best Body Now" they have some fantastic information in them, and YBBN has tips on eating and exercising at ANY age.

I know it's easy to get discouraged because you're not seeing results, the first 2 weeks of a diet is always the hardest.  Go to your doctor and check things out, and don't judge by your husband's progress. Men seem to have an easier time taking excess weight off! My DH I'd the same way, aggravating, I know, must be a testosterone thing!

ETA: women can lift the almost the same amount of weight as men, and they won't bulk up. We just are not equipped with the testosterone needed to build bulky muscles. You're more likely to tone. For example, I started with 5 pound weights for a bicep curl, 6 months later, I am up to a 25 pound weight. I probably won't go much higher than that, but if you want to really tone, lower weights (between 5-8 pounds) and raise the reps! (Start with 3 sets of 8)

#17 sassenach123

sassenach123

EVP

• GS Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I eat often. And I'm not hungry - definitely not starving. I'm eating good calories. I eat about 8 times a day, maybe 100-150 calories each time, depending on what I'm eating. I've been making really wonderful salads ever other night with raw almonds and dried berries and my food choices are more varied. When I say I have drastically cut calories, what I mean is I'm not eating croissants and french pastries and belgian waffles for my snacks (I SWEAR those things talk to me when I'm in the store). I've replaced them with much healthier options.

#18 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostHelenaHandBaskettGStudy, on 21 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, that is actually a misnomer A pound of fat and a pound of muscle each way a pound. Muscle however is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space than the pound of fat would. I saw a great visual online somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it and post it here..

ETA: women can lift the almost the same amount of weight as men, and they won't bulk up. We just are not equipped with the testosterone needed to build bulky muscles. You're more likely to tone. For example, I started with 5 pound weights for a bicep curl, 6 months later, I am up to a 25 pound weight. I probably won't go much higher than that, but if you want to really tone, lower weights (between 5-8 pounds) and raise the reps! (Start with 3 sets of 8)

I had a feeling someone would make the comment about a pound equaling a pound. Yes, that's the underlying fact to what i said about muscle weighing more -it's more dense. So, a square inch of muscle weighs more than a square inch of fat.

Interesting that women won't bulk up like men, but surely they would have an increase in size, right? Just not nearly as much as men?

#19 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postsassenach123, on 21 January 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

I eat often. And I'm not hungry - definitely not starving. I'm eating good calories. I eat about 8 times a day, maybe 100-150 calories each time, depending on what I'm eating. I've been making really wonderful salads ever other night with raw almonds and dried berries and my food choices are more varied. When I say I have drastically cut calories, what I mean is I'm not eating croissants and french pastries and belgian waffles for my snacks (I SWEAR those things talk to me when I'm in the store). I've replaced them with much healthier options.

Feeling hungry and your body starving are two completely different things.  Although I knew that a woman shouldn't consume less than 1200 calories a day I looked up the numbers on several different medical websites to make sure what I was saying was the generally accepted caloric intake guidelines.  You can eat 20,000 calories a day and be grossly undernourished -- just like you can eat bulky foods that fill your stomach and still starve to death.  I'm not saying you're starving to death but your caloric intake is low enough that the inability to lose weight can easily be attributed to your body going into starvation mode (an evolutionary mechanism so people didn't starve to death when food wasn't readily available for periods of time) and hanging on to what it sees as necessary for survival in case the calories drop lower.

Losing weight is a balancing act -- people who were heavy need to excercise a heck of a lot more to maintain a healthy body/weight than people who weren't ever heavy because the human body is designed to hang on to every ounce it's got.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#20 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostGhuoest, on 22 January 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Interesting that women won't bulk up like men, but surely they would have an increase in size, right? Just not nearly as much as men?

Has something to do with the lack of testosterone in women, I believe. Same underlying reason why men are able to take their weight off faster them women.

Lets see if this works..

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight loss, diet