Free Skins
© Fisana

Communication: Why Automatic Writing, Evp, Etc... But Not Ouija?

EVP Ouija communication automatic writing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I just finished reading Haunted Too by Dorah L. Williams (recommended here on the forum by Amethyst, who is also one of the paranormal researchers who contributed to the book).  I enjoyed it very much and think it deserves a place on any ghost enthusiast's bookshelf.  

But there is one chapter that left me a bit confused.  Several sensitives and/or investigators weigh in on spirit communication and which methods they do and do not recommend.  The results were pretty much unanimous: automatic writing and EVP recording got the thumbs up, while Ouija boards got the thumbs down.  The rationale for the latter is that Ouija boards are like an open invitation that can bring in negative entities just as readily as positive spirits (and that these negative entities can impersonate deceased loved ones, manipulate the person using the board, refuse to leave once summoned, and otherwise cause trouble).

I understand the reasoning here, but I have to wonder...wouldn't the same risks apply to the "recommended" methods of communication like EVP sessions and automatic writing?  Couldn't a negative entitiy seize on these opportunities just as easily and readily as a Ouija board?  Why are these methods considered safe while Ouija boards are not?

#2 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to know too. I personally feel that automatic writing to be even more dangerous than a Ouija board. With a Ouija board the spirits/entities control/move the pointer while with automatic writing you have to more or less put yourself into a trance, or at least a very relaxed state, and let the spirit/entity possess/control your hand. From this I feel can turn into a full blown possession. With either the Ouija board or automatic writing you still don't know who you are inviting to communicate with you. I feel the safest way, if you really want to communicate, is by doing EVP's and/or using a voice box (I think that is what it is called..... that thing that skips through radio stations to answers your questions).

Anyway, that is just my opinion. :D

#3 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm in agreement with BlueRose3. I'm sure i had said my thoughts some time ago.

#4 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think automatic writing is just as bad as a Ouija because it allows the spirit to control your body. The difference in these, however, is that the Ouija opens a door to the otherworld rather than contacting the existing spirits.

#5 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'm not sure the ouija is any different than any of the above mentioned attempts at communication. You are inviting a spirit by asking it to talk to you, either via evp, automatic writing etc. you don't know what kind of entity you'll get either way.
Posted Image

#6 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostVlawde, on 30 November 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'm not sure the ouija is any different than any of the above mentioned attempts at communication. You are inviting a spirit by asking it to talk to you, either via evp, automatic writing etc. you don't know what kind of entity you'll get either way.
I agree.  I'm also one of the few people here that doesn't have any problems with Ouija boards.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#7 beniciaparanormal

beniciaparanormal

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

IMO all paranormal investigations have some level of risk because you are attempting to make contact with spirits.Vlawde is right, we never know what we are going to get.

When it comes to what the difference is and what makes one more okay than another, for me, it is about choosing the least dangerous method to aquire the evidence you are looking for.

Ouija boards open a portal and there is no way to control who comes through. I see this as the most dangerous because it brings in spirits that weren't already there.

Automatic writing can be just as dangerous because you are inviting whatever spirit is there to posses you; there is no way to tell who or what you are inviting in or if it will leave willingly once the session is done. Some may see this as safe but I'm personally against it.

EVP's seem like a reasonable risk, it keeps a distance between the investigator and the spirit. You are simply asking a spirit that is already there to speak to you.

To each their own choice on level of risk, but I would urge others to limit their level of risk.

Benicia Paranormal
on Twitter @beniciaparanorm
www.beniciaparanormal.webs.com

#8 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Since I commented in Haunted Too about the Ouija board I will answer this question.  Any type of spirit communicate could be "dangerous" but unlikely.  A gun can be a good or a bad thing.  Would I like to have one for protection if somebody broke into my house?  You betcha, but.....I don't know how to properly use a gun.  Putting a loaded weapon in my hand could result in me injuring myself or a family member by mistake because I don't know the proper technique to using a gun, and I have not been instructed on how to do so.  Guns in the hands of a police officer is usually a good thing.  Guns in the hands of a bad person.....not so good.

A Ouija board in and of itself is not a bad thing.  It is an instrument just like automatic writing (AW) is.  With AW one uses paper and pen.

IF you do not know how to properly use the board you can open up a portal which allows all kinds of spirits to enter; good and bad.  Most people do not bless the board before they begin, ask to be surrounded by white light and ask that ONLY those spirits from the white light and nothing negative be allowed to enter the board,.  Also, most people to not seal the board and close the portal before they put the board away....if....in fact....they have spirit communication.

In most instances OBs are used by teenagers and inexperienced people in general.  Its not the board, it is opening up that portal and allowing anything in by not protecting themselves before hand.   Look at it like this.  We all have cell phones now or at least a home phone.  If you wanted to contact me you would call either phone number that is personally assigned to me; right?  You would not randomly dial a number and ask for Amethyst.  Using a OB and asking does ANYBODY want to communicate is the same thing as calling a public phone at Grand Central Station.  Anybody walking by could answer it; a priest, criminal, teacher, doctor, serial killer.....get my drift.....anybody could walk up and say hello.  You didn't call a particular number or at least phone a church or some place where hopefully good ppl only will answer.

If you want to use the board, learn to do so properly.  As a Spiritualist, I feel like I have an obligation to the general public to educate people on proper technique.  Children shouldn't play with a loaded gun.  Hell, I shouldn't handle one!  LOL

So to answer your question, its ok to use a OB, just know how to use it.  It's like driving a car.  You have to learn the correct way.

On to AW.  Most of the time ppl think one is possessed or controled by a spirit.  In my experience this is not true.  AW opens up your clairaudience so that you can "hear" words in your head and write them down while in a relaxed state.  I have never been possessed while doing AW.  I always ask for the highest guide of the white light....which is my personal spirit guide...to come in and communicate with me.  COMMUNICATE not possess me.  I would not allow that.  It is like getting in touch with your intuitive self.  We all have one.  One should be relaxed, not in trance to do AW.

EVPs.  Whether we believe it or not, what is captured on EVPS is naturally going on around you at any given time. There is always chatter across the veil and spirits are always talking and  trying to get our attention.  We just can't hear them because they vibrate on a different vibrational level.  Some how electronically we are able to "capture"  them speaking.  Its like air.  We cannot see it but we know its there and we breath it.  It is all around us at all time.  Walking into any building that may have ghosts or haunting can put one in harms way, but that....IMHO...would be a 100,000 to 1 shot.   In my 60 years of spirit communicate I have run across thousands of spirits or ghosts.  Only a handful would I consider harmful, and I knew going in that could be the case.

You can put yourself in danger any time you mess with the paranormal.  IF you know what you are doing and have the proper training your greatly lower that risk.   Would you want a bum off the street to do surgery on you or a licensed doctor with years of medical training?  Same thing.   Knowledge is power.  One must educate themselves in how to PROPERLY use these tools to do spirit communication.  I do table tipping and have tables rock and even move across the room.  I am not the least bit scared because I know what I am doing.  I use Ouija boards, pendulums, do automatic writing....all those things because I have been properly trained and have a knowledge of what and what not to do.  I never feel like I am in danger.

Remember, the OB opens up a portal which can allow any spirit to enter; good or bad.

AW allows you to  open up to being clairaudient and hearing and writing an answer.

EVPS capture what is naturally occuring around you anyway that you just can't hear, so that is why most of us who are trained or self taught in the paranormal tell ppl NOT to use the OB.  You CAN, but just be respectful and learn the proper way.

I am so glad you enjoyed the book.  Dorah is an amazing woman.

Hope this helps explain things!

Blessings,

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#9 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

I should say I have used these things in the past.  I have not used a ouija board in years and years.  I have not done AW for probably 20 years.  I will sometimes use my pendulum.  I rely upon my psychic ability mostly.  I trust that.  I do table tipping occasionally with one of my friends because I enjoy it.

Just be careful and respectful of any spirit communication.

Ame
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#10 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostAmethyst, on 01 December 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Remember, the OB opens up a portal which can allow any spirit to enter; good or bad.

AW allows you to  open up to being clairaudient and hearing and writing an answer.

EVPS capture what is naturally occuring around you anyway that you just can't hear, so that is why most of us who are trained or self taught in the paranormal tell ppl NOT to use the OB.  You CAN, but just be respectful and learn the proper way.

I am so glad you enjoyed the book.  Dorah is an amazing woman.

Hope this helps explain things!

That does clarify a lot, Ame, and thank you.  I was under the impression that all three methods functioned in the same way (that they were all basically a beacon inviting whoever/whatever was out there to make contact.  I didn't think about the Ouija board being unique in the sense that it opened a doorway instead of reaching out to what was already present.  I also had the misconception that automatic writing involved letting a ghost use a living person's hand to write with.  (I'll admit I'm still very skeptical about AW because I think there's a strong likelihood that it's merely tapping into one's own subconscious thoughts rather than forming a perceptual conduit to the spirit world.)  I think that if I had to try any of the three, I would prefer to stick with EVP, since there is much less likelihood of projecting one's own mind into the results.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EVP, Ouija, communication, automatic writing