#1 canadapara

canadapara

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Travel, Paranormal studies, Geocaching

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

My team is doing a New York and PA roadtrip in April. On the 24th we are doing the Rolling Hills Asylum.
Now does anyone here have any experience with this place, any objective opinions.

We'll be in E Bethany NY, Gettsyburg PA and Bethlehem PA as far as been planned April 24-29

Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
Ottawa Valley, Greater Toronto Area
TAPS Family Member

#2 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

I've never heard of Rolling Hills, but am always interested in those places, so I decided to have a look see on Google. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me the only way you can go through the place is by making reservations with the hunting group that owns it now. April 26th is open to a public hunt for $50 a pop.  confused0068.gif I also found a link stating that Donna LaCroix (?) from GhostHunters is going to be there on the 19th.

Finally found some info! It's not that old...

Rolling Hills has a long and tormented history as a former poor house, insane asylum, orphanage, and nursing home. Genesee County purchased this property in 1826 and opened its doors to the poor in 1827. They took in paupers, the insane, orphans, transients, unwed mothers, the elderly, and anyone who could not support and care for themselves. They were completely self-sufficient as they farmed on the 100's of acres owned by the county. By the 1950's, the property was used for a nursing home only. The residents were moved to the new facility in Batavia in 1974. The building sat empty for nearly 20 years when it was then opened in 1992 as Carriage Village, a mall of unique shops.

The name was changed to Rolling Hills Country Mall in January, 2003, and became a co-op in January, 2004. The mall has recently closed. (source: Rolling Hills Ghost Hunts)

Official records show that 1750 people are buried on site at Rolling Hills. Most likely the true number of people buried is much higher.

Location facts about the Rolling Hills Asylum:  

The East and West wings combined are 65,000 square feet (not including the underground tunnels or outer barns and other smaller buildings).

The corner acreage of 11.87 acres was bought privately from the county by Lori Carlson and her husband (the current Rolling Hills Asylum owners).

The original Rolling Hills Asylum buildings were built from the late 1790's thru early 1800's.

The original Rolling Hills Asylum buildings built during the above period are no longer standing. Only a few old barn buildings remain.

The current Rolling Hills Asylum West Wing (the Y-shaped building) was constructed in 1938.

The Rolling Hills East Wing (the Country Mall wing) was added in 1958.

Paranormal history: Rolling Hills Asylum is very well known for shadows and EVPs as well as other unexplained phenomena in a number of locations, such as:

Lori told us that especially between 3am and 5am on the 1st and 2nd floors of the East Wing shadows are seen.

In the Christmas room toys can be seen to have moved from  where they were left as though someone had been playing with them.

On the 2nd floor of the East Wing the sound of foot steps and sliding can be heard coming from above - but there is no 3rd floor!

EVPs are often taken in the first meat locker in the kitchen area.

The apparition of a man with a goat-Tee mustache has been seen walking around.

Even right outside the cafe area apparitions have been seen. An old woman has been seen going into the woman's restroom.

Edited by Lady Sorbus, 11 January 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#3 canadapara

canadapara

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

Actually for the hunt we are on it is 100 per head. The "we're alone" hunt. You get the place from 9-6am all to yourselves.

The other place I was looking into in MD is 250 for 3 hrs. Seems to be a standard cost to keeping an abandoned place open.

TAPS Family Member

#4 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

I hope the one here doesn't cost that much!!  Picture 483.gif

#5 Sly-Spectre

Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Well they got to cover  property taxes some how. If you got the time, money, and equipment then go for it.
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#6 canadapara

canadapara

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

Cash is no issue, if we are willing to  travel to another country, the opportunity to do a place like this well hey who cares.

TAPS Family Member

#7 truthbeknown

truthbeknown

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Was Rolling Hills owned by the state or was it a private asylum?
From the time I was a born until i was 18 i lived on the grounds of State Hospitals and Private hospitals. My father ran the different hospitals and they always then had a residence house for the superintendent.
The last State Hospital we lived on was in Massillon Ohio.
The house was very large and creepy. At that time, so were the grounds.

You are going to have soooo much fun.

Just be careful.

Rolling Hills can't be that much different.
Do you know if the guy who built the asylum was kirkbride?
He was great at creating big rooms and wide hallways.
some narrow but more often everything was detailed and big.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users