• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

This photo is weird and I would love your opinions on whether you think it is a spirit or not. It showed up in a very small window on the building so I had to enlarge the photo to show it. I will show you three photos of it. To be honest, it looks just like me and even has the color shirt on that I was wearing that day, but I'm not sure if my eyes are just making it look like someone to me. I question it because the 'spirit' is actually sideways on the window. I had to rotate the image to get it to look like it was standing upright.

Attached Files

#2 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

Depending where you want to take your paranormal journey, you will eventually start searching for answers that pertain to the mundane. A small level of science and physics is fundamental to begin ruling out the ordinary in hopes of being left with the extraordinary.

I’m now retired and depend on my portrait photography to make ends meet. The study of light is imperative to my financial survival. I won’t bore you with an abundance of information that will remain unused but I will offer a little direction with light and photography.

Understanding how light works with reflective surfaces should help in your latest submissions of ParanormalSoup. Glass reflects, transmits and absorbs light. Surprisingly, reflection in normal glass has the smallest fraction of the three properties amounting approximately to 4%. Light close to a glancing angle will produce higher amounts of reflection.

An object needs to be VERY close (on the inside) to the pane of glass to be illuminated when the outside is bathed in light. This is especially true when when the inside is shrouded in darkness. Once an inside source of light is introduced the object becomes illuminated and the glass no longer holds strong reflective properties resembling a mirror.

Your analysis of the object viewed in the photograph is most likely correct. It’s a reflection of you taking the picture. Unfortunately, the purity of the glass and low-resolution imaging (likely produced by a cellphone) diminish the properties of absolute identification.

I apologize to others in advance, but it’s worthy once again to use the immortal words, exhaust all-natural explanations first. Once that has taken place, you may have an unknown explanation usually linked to some paranormal event.

Cellphone photography has come a long way in the last decade. Recently I produced a 24-megapixel panorama from an iPhone and was astonished at the clarity and detail it created. Where cellphones typically fall short is in low light conditions. They physically are hampered by small sensors most of them only mustering ¼” diagonally.

There isn’t any standard of methodology in paranormal study. Many people like the scares or look for affirmation in their own personal beliefs. I wouldn’t suggest looking at paranormal shows as a role model in paranormal studies. They are meant for entertainment purposes and I brazenly can say, when there is no evidence available, to make the story line interesting, certain elements need to be introduced to keep it interesting.

I have a few suggestions if your look to pursue the paranormal photography with a level of credibility.
  • Try to find it in your budget to buy a quality of camera. APS-C cameras can be bought for a couple hundred dollars used.
  • Buy a tripod to reduce the possibility of camera shake and to enable long exposure possibilities
  • Use a remote trigger to reduce red herrings such as breath being introduced into the image under cold conditions.
  • Learn how your camera works to maximize your image quality under any condition.
  • Use a lens hood to shield the lens to reduce dust orbs becoming a concern in your images.
  • Use a flash when necessary. Depending on your workflow, supplying artificial light can be very beneficial allowing you to increase your shutter speed which will reduce camera shake & motion blur.

Good luck with your journey. You’re welcome to contact me if any further help is required but a thread created here on Paranormal Soup will be the most advantageous offering different viewpoints. Both novice and experienced investigators have a great deal to offer.

Edited by EVP, 14 May 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#3 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

Thank you so much for your well thought out and informative reply.
I have a Canon Rebel Si that is 12.2 megapixel. I used to do amateur photography and took several class in school, so I do have all the equipment. I am going to reread your information on light reflection. It's been several years since I've done photography and there is a lot I've forgotten.

I've worked not as a paranormal investigator but was the person people called when they needed help with spirits that were not ghosts. I'm very experienced in that, but not in photographing spirits. I used to preach to my clients to not take photos or try to communicate with spirit when they were experiencing a demonic haunting. It will make things much worse. I've kept my photos private up until now because how would it look if I told people to not take photos and they displayed some photos I've taken. lol. I've been dealing with spirits my entire life and have only taken a few photos. When I accidentally bring my work home with me I make a rule no cameras until I can get rid of it. The reason I make that rule is because one time during a violent demonic haunting I took a few photo and had a terrifying image of something attached to my son so I deleted it before he could see it and stopped taking photos. It also causes the spirits to want to interact more.

The reason I don't think it's a reflection is because it is sideways. The third photo I rotated to see the image better. Do you think reflection can rotate the image?

#4 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostLadydi, on 14 May 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Thank you so much for your well thought out and informative reply.
I have a Canon Rebel Si that is 12.2 megapixel. I used to do amateur photography and took several class in school, so I do have all the equipment. I am going to reread your information on light reflection. It's been several years since I've done photography and there is a lot I've forgotten.

I've worked not as a paranormal investigator but was the person people called when they needed help with spirits that were not ghosts. I'm very experienced in that, but not in photographing spirits. I used to preach to my clients to not take photos or try to communicate with spirit when they were experiencing a demonic haunting. It will make things much worse. I've kept my photos private up until now because how would it look if I told people to not take photos and they displayed some photos I've taken. lol. I've been dealing with spirits my entire life and have only taken a few photos. When I accidentally bring my work home with me I make a rule no cameras until I can get rid of it. The reason I make that rule is because one time during a violent demonic haunting I took a few photo and had a terrifying image of something attached to my son so I deleted it before he could see it and stopped taking photos. It also causes the spirits to want to interact more.

The reason I don't think it's a reflection is because it is sideways. The third photo I rotated to see the image better. Do you think reflection can rotate the image?

Here's an additional suggestion that is often overlooked. If at all possible go back to the same location, at the same time of day under the same weather conditions, try to use the same angle and attempt a recreation. Otherwise you will wander purely in supposition. Ideally investigation should be done REALTIME where evidence is explored at that moment. Looking at images or listening to audio days after the investigation is problematic and will only result in continued questions without answers.

If you have Canon questions, you have come to right guy :)

Do you think reflection can rotate the image?
No i don't, but I do believe the windows glass refractive properties can create visual illusions by distortion.

Edited by EVP, 14 May 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#5 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

Sorry I didn't see this reply until now. I know my photos I do have I did not take under the best circumstances to judge scientifically. Also although I have a canon rebel si now I may have had an older camera when I took these photos. I think I had a kodak that was low pegapixel. For some reason my computer is not showing exif data so I can't check.

One of these days when I'm very bored maybe I will go back there and take more pictures Its only a minute down the road but its a pain because the building sits up close on the road its difficult to get good pics.

#6 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

I'm unsure what operating system you have but if you go to the file itself, right click, choose properties and then details you will see some of the EXIF data. If you want a more comprehensive EXIF viewer I'd recommend ExifTool by Phil Harvey.

If you want a lightweight cataloguer/image editor that is free head over and download Faststone Image Viewer.

You owned a Kodak Easyshare DX4330 which was a 3.1 megapixel camera. As mentioned in another thread, that was at the very beginnings of recognized digital photography in the early part of the 21st century. I owned a very similar model at one time.

Edited by EVP, 22 May 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#7 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

EVP thanks. That's how I thought I was supposed to view it. When I click properties it does not show the exif data. I'm on windows 10 on my laptop. Maybe that's why. Most use cell phones now for the internet. My eyes are too old and bad to see my cell. lol. I will try the exif viewer you suggested. I think I mistakenly told you one of my photos was taken with my new canon and you found out by exif that it was the rotten kodak. sorry about that. Just goes to show I cannot trust my memory as you had suggested.

You seem to be a very detailed, thorough investigator. I'm not an investigator or detailed at all with my photos and evp so I can see where my posts could annoy you when I suggest something. I rarely say something is 'spirit' unless I am convinced of it, but my evidence is not scientific. It's personal evidence and that cannot be used to convince anyone other than myself. When I first posted I didn't even realize the posting area was for people to investigate the photo and critique. I didn't not read the forum statements. I'm happy you guys do this and it's fun. I will try to keep from asserting things are definitely spirit and try to word myself more appropriately knowing I cannot assert something as proof of spirit without investigation from qualified persons.

Edited by Ladydi, 23 May 2019 - 09:22 AM.

#8 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

When I click properties it does not show the exif data.

RIght click on the file, choose properties and then look in the "Details" tab. If there is any EXIF data embedded, you may find it there.

Di, I want you to be yourself. If you feel you need to insert a level of spiritualism, I don't want you to feel restricted on my account. We come from two different paths as you said. Being judgmental is being narrow minded and I chose to remain open. If you annoyed me, I wouldn't reply to your posts whatsoever. This board is open to many viewpoints. We just needed time to adjust to one another. You once asked why I am here on a paranormal photographic forum if I don't believe they can be captured via stills. I come here to contribute and learn and this is the only board I've supported for over a decade. You and I are good. Feel free to message me if you need to. My door is open. Regards....

Edited by EVP, 23 May 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#9 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thanks EVP. I tried it again and it worked. I think the photo I was trying to get exif data on had something wrong with it. I should have tried another photo but didn't think to until now. lol