• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

My daughter has suddenly become obsessed with Disney Pixar's Cars and after having to have the movie on in the background constantly for the last 4 weeks it got me thinking about the real places on Route 66.  Another member posted about places to visit around that area and Tombstone was mentioned.  I know that's not on the actual road but it doess goes through Arizona and I would love to visit there as it's just competely different to the UK.  

So I decided to have a look online and see what the real places that inspired the movie could come up with.  I'm not surprised that there are many stories but I#ve never really known much about Route 66 until now.  Even the non haunted palces are fascinating to me.  I think when I get the chance to have a proper adventure holiday, I will definately be coming back to the US again and I hope to drive at least some of the road if not all of it.

Here is a link to some of the stories...

Ghosts of Route 66

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#2 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

If I remember correctly Wickenburg is attached to R66. And if you actually do this trip and don't mind venturing off the route a little, Jerome is pretty close to Wickenburg..... ;)
But unfortunately Tombstone is about 5-6hrs away from there (depending on traffic and how fast you're willing to drive :D)

#3 RealBeliever

RealBeliever

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

well  route 66 is   huge really and it splits off  and has some dead ends to and  even some unmentioned places on it  are more haunted then the famous ones. one of my friends said to stay away from that road because of one section that it takes you through  had many people die and you get like ghost hitch hikers and things.
user posted image

this is just so funny!!!!!!  ^_^

user posted image

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!

#4 petunia4998

petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Rt 66 is very historic.  Thanks for bringing up a website that includes so much of that history.  :bunny:

#5 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

I recently did that trip Part of Route 66 from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and then on to Jerome and then through the desert to Tombstone.

Route 66 was amazing (so much more interesting than the interstate) with lots of small settlements to look at.  Where possible we chose to follow Route 66 and found it very interesting.  Jerome is a great place to visit and is a ghost towm perched on the side of a mountain overlooking the desert.  We stayed in a huanted B&B where according to the guest log we had a cowboy type ghost in our room.  It was very interesting that I didn't tell my husband this but he complained that he hadn't slept well as he had a feeling that someone was in the room and was watching us!  We spent a day exploring the town.  It has lots of old derelict building from a by-gone era.

We then drove to Tombstone.  If you do this allow a full day.  Tombstone was my absolute favourite place in the USA!!  Thank you for whoever suggested it.  We stayed 2 nights (but could have done with 3).  I highly recommend you stay at the Tombstone Bordello which is another haunted B&B.  The owners are very hospitable full of stories.  The Birdcage Theatre in Tombstone is supposedely one of the most haunted building in the US abd does a ghost tour each night.  Soooo incredible sitting in the back room in the pitch black hoping for an emf meter to go off or something to happen!  We heard great stories of previous tours (including from some of the other guests at our accommodation) but nothing happened on the night we were there.  This didn't daunt us though as the whole town is steeped in history.  We visited the Tombstone Cemetary where a quite famous ghost photo was taken and many famous Western greats are buried.  There are numerous historic buildings housing shops, bars, restaurants ect and the entire town is small enough to walk around.  We took a drive to Bisbey which is about a half hour drive away.  There are a lot more touristy/arty type shops there and it is also very historic.

We went from Tombstone to LA and stayed on the Queen Mary ...but that is another story!

Kiwilady Kiwilady

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

http://hauntedauckland.com

#6 PumpkinWraith

PumpkinWraith

1D's #1 Fan

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

View PostKiwilady, on 05 May 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

I recently did that trip Part of Route 66 from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and then on to Jerome and then through the desert to Tombstone.

Route 66 was amazing (so much more interesting than the interstate) with lots of small settlements to look at.  Where possible we chose to follow Route 66 and found it very interesting.  Jerome is a great place to visit and is a ghost towm perched on the side of a mountain overlooking the desert.  We stayed in a huanted B&B where according to the guest log we had a cowboy type ghost in our room.  It was very interesting that I didn't tell my husband this but he complained that he hadn't slept well as he had a feeling that someone was in the room and was watching us!  We spent a day exploring the town.  It has lots of old derelict building from a by-gone era.

We then drove to Tombstone.  If you do this allow a full day.  Tombstone was my absolute favourite place in the USA!!  Thank you for whoever suggested it.  We stayed 2 nights (but could have done with 3).  I highly recommend you stay at the Tombstone Bordello which is another haunted B&B.  The owners are very hospitable full of stories.  The Birdcage Theatre in Tombstone is supposedely one of the most haunted building in the US abd does a ghost tour each night.  Soooo incredible sitting in the back room in the pitch black hoping for an emf meter to go off or something to happen!  We heard great stories of previous tours (including from some of the other guests at our accommodation) but nothing happened on the night we were there.  This didn't daunt us though as the whole town is steeped in history.  We visited the Tombstone Cemetary where a quite famous ghost photo was taken and many famous Western greats are buried.  There are numerous historic buildings housing shops, bars, restaurants ect and the entire town is small enough to walk around.  We took a drive to Bisbey which is about a half hour drive away.  There are a lot more touristy/arty type shops there and it is also very historic.

We went from Tombstone to LA and stayed on the Queen Mary ...but that is another story!

I was talking about you in the first post KiwiLady :) Glad you had a wonderful time, you got me wondering about the area after you asked for places to see and what with my little girl  obsessing over Lightning McQueen... I thought I'd look it up.

I'm sooooo Jealous!!!!  :th_sarcastic_blum:

Posted Image

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction. Harry 4Ever!

#7 GillGal

GillGal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

The Jerome Grand Hotel in Jerome Arizona is haunted. We stayed there two summers ago. We took a tour then got equipment from the hotel and we did our own investigation. The hotel is a former hospital for the mining companies that were there. Some man died in the elevator shaft by laying with his head in the shaft and his body outside and he was decapitated. Also a man comitted suicide by hanging and a vet threw himself over the balcony and died.

Ths town is really neat.
"Success is always temporary. When all is said and done, the only thing you'll have left is your character." Vince Gill

#8 Gaines76

Gaines76

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Piano, Kickboxing, Finance, Economics, Investment, Business, Running and Reading

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

I always wanted to travel route 66. There are some areas of the road that were once old silver towns that turned into service based towns when the road came through and the silver pewtered out. When the road bypaassed them, they dried up and died. I bet some of those ghost towns have ghosts.

#9 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

In 2000, I saw part of Rt 66 when I was in Amarillo, TX. Nothing haunted there, I don't think. Don't have any of the photos digitized though. Sorry. Incidentally, that same theme in the movie is the very reason it's one of my favourite Disney films. I love the nostalgia. :)

#10 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:Knowledge Seeker, Astronomy, Music, bLogging, Meditation, The Outdoors, The Beatles, Reading, Writing, Celebrity Grave Hunting, Storm Chasing, The Paranormal (Ghosts & UFO's), Computers, Romance, Travel, Literature & Photography.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostPumpkinWraithGStudy, on 24 January 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

My daughter has suddenly become obsessed with Disney Pixar's Cars and after having to have the movie on in the background constantly for the last 4 weeks it got me thinking about the real places on Route 66.  Another member posted about places to visit around that area and Tombstone was mentioned.  I know that's not on the actual road but it doess goes through Arizona and I would love to visit there as it's just competely different to the UK.  

So I decided to have a look online and see what the real places that inspired the movie could come up with.  I'm not surprised that there are many stories but I#ve never really known much about Route 66 until now.  Even the non haunted palces are fascinating to me.  I think when I get the chance to have a proper adventure holiday, I will definately be coming back to the US again and I hope to drive at least some of the road if not all of it.

Here is a link to some of the stories...

Ghosts of Route 66

I LOVE driving Route 66 and I-40. That is what is known as taking the High Road to LA because it goes through a part of the country known as the High Desert.
Every time I go that route, I see something I haven't seen before.
I really liked the song from "Cars" called "Our Town" by James Taylor. It's sweet and sad.
On my last drive to LA, I got my picture taken while "standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona".

Posted Image

Edited by Captain Kundalini, 15 May 2017 - 01:32 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

I was in Jerome Arizona many years ago, if I would have known it was haunted, I would have stayed longer!!!  Darn.  It is a really cool place, I will have to dig up my photos from there and take a better look at them.

Jerome has a very cool "artist vibe" and many talented people display and sell their work there.  I would recommmend it as a vacation destination on that basis alone. (If you are interested in that sort of thing.)
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#12 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:As of this writing, I'm in year 27 and 7 months as a law enforcment officer. LOL. (Want to know how many weeks?)
    My wife and I call ourselves "paranormal tourists." That is, we make a pastime of travelling to famous haunts and investigating/staying/visiting. We take tons of photos (Search my name on this forum to see some of them, including at least two apparitions we captured) but we NEVER attempt contact or communication.

We have also exorcised a number of locations with the knowledge/request of the occupants of owners.

In the interest of perspective, I grew up in a "shi ite" Catholic home, went to Catholic school, was an altar boy, under the iron fist of a strict Italian Catholic mother who, contradictions of contradictions, was also a "medium" and very prolific "automatic writer," who held seances in our house with her group of spiritualists, and drug all manner of spiritual garbage into that house, which, was haunted as hell with some very hair-raising and terrifying experiences for my brother and my childhoods.
    I used to believe the same as most here, thinking of "ghosts" as the dead, (Basically spiritualist beliefs) could become trapped due to suicide or sudden, violent death, or not knowing they were dead, all of that business, and I became an agnostic at one point, began searching for the truth, and became a born-again Christian at age 24
    I now know that all "ghosts" are demons.
    Think of it this way: demon OPPRESSION is far more common that POSSESSION. Demons are masters of deception and impersonation, and their boss is said to be the "father of all lies," who can "even appear as an angel of light." (Part of the "protection prayer a lot of spiritualists say before a seance in many cases) They've been at the game of deceiving man for thousands of years, have perfected their craft, and any time they can shake our faith in God or his Word,(Or convince non-believers or agnostics that the Word is flawed or inaccurate) its a "win" for them.
    Therefore, a demon who oppressed an individual in life can perfectly mimic them after death, and would even know things only they or those close to them would know.

the scriptures tell us we live and die once, then face judgement. (Ecclesiastes 12:7, Psalm 146:4, Ecclesiastes Verse 6, Hebrews 9:27) Further, there is a great void between the living and the dead, and they can neither see nor contact us, nor vice versa. (Luke 16:26)
    Further, there is a great void between the living and the dead, and they can neither see nor contact us, nor vice versa. (Luke 16:26)
    All that said, I would never ridicule anyone for their beliefs, nor disrespect their right to their prerogatives. All have free will and a right to their opinions. We can always be friends.

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was; and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

"His breath goeth forth , he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." Psalm 146:4.

"Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more of a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun." Ecclesiastes Verse 6.

"it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgement" Hebrews 9:27

“And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, in order that those who wish to come over from here to you many not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.” Luke 16:26

“The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him” (Ezekiel 18:20)

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Add Fort Reno in El Reno to the list.  Tours every October.
"There are chords in the hearts of men which cannot be touched without emotion.  Even with the utterly lost, to whom both life and death are jest, there are some matters about which no jest can be made."- Edgar Allen Poe

#13 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the added information.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#14 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:Knowledge Seeker, Astronomy, Music, bLogging, Meditation, The Outdoors, The Beatles, Reading, Writing, Celebrity Grave Hunting, Storm Chasing, The Paranormal (Ghosts & UFO's), Computers, Romance, Travel, Literature & Photography.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

A word of warning to anyone wanting to stay at the Hotel Monte Vista in Flagstaff:
It is quite simply the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in! It is NOT haunted.
The pipes knock, it's close to the train station, so you can hear the trains every hour or so
and the lift doesn't work, so you have to lug your suitcase up the stairs like I did.
No one famous has EVER stayed there. (I checked. Don't ask how.)
They just say that it's haunted and that famous people have stayed there to draw in business.
The room they put me in had purple wallpaper and a broken guitar on the wall!
After 3 hours I demanded and got my refund.
Do yourself a favor if you have a mind to be spending the night in Flagstaff during your travels
and stay at the Embassy Suites by Hilton. MUCH nicer.
Posted Image

#15 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the heads up :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#16 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:45 AM

I was just looking up Flagstaff, AZ online... what a beautiful place to visit!  ...... just need to avoid Hotel Monte Vista is all.  ;)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users