43 replies to this topic

#1 blazegardner

blazegardner

EVP

• GS Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

I'm only curious is all.

I'll start this off, one my worst and most painful injuries I had as a child is when I went out to a lake with my family, I began playing in the water with some girl I was probably only 7-8 and we were grabbing the sand/dirt from under the water and packing them down like snowballs  and we were throwing them at each other well as you know its all fun and games until you get hurt, I ended up catching a mud ball directly in-between my eyes I fell back and all the sudden everything was dark the mud was caked up under my eyelids  it took me and my mother a couple hours to was all the mud out of my eyes and after that I had the worst conjunctivitis aka pink eye in my life the mud was extremely painful and it realm messed up my vision which is why I think I wear glasses.

Anyways lets hear you're stories of childhood injuries

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,026 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I was in a car accident when i was in 5th grade that knocked my two front teeth down to nubs. Crowns ever since.  I also almost drowned in Lake Tahoe a year or so later. Otherwise no serious injuries, although many times riding my bike my feet would slip off the pedals and....    Hehe you can guess the rest! :D Sure felt like a serious injury at the time!
Posted Image

#3 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

I was a daredevil.  I broke nearly every bone in my body at one point or other as a kid.  The one with the longest lasting repercussions was when I was 14 or 15.  I was in a serious car accident and my best friend who was in the backseat was thrown forward into my shoulder and tore one of the muscles that attaches to my shoulder blade.  It still hurts once in a while but I'm pretty OK with it.  If my linebacker shoulders hadn't been in the way she would have gone through the windshield.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#4 kevinscan

kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I fractured my neck when I was 21 while diving.
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#5 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,026 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

I once died in a horrible crash. But I walked it off...
Posted Image

#6 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

In first grade, my sisters and I were standing on a window ledge (where Mom said not to go), above a vaporizer left running all day.  In my mind, one moment I was looking down feeling a bit unsteady, and the next I was sitting in the vaporizer screaming my head off.  The older of my sisters claimed I spent some moments screaming and trying to drag them down with me but in my memory there was no time for anything like that--it was instant.  The flesh was boiled off my bottom, and the older sister was splashed badly enough to be taken into the E. R. with me.  She and I were tenderly treated in the E. R., while the less-injured sister had her butt beat out in the car.  They said this was actually the moment the wounded one turned towards being a doctor and the poor scapegoat towards becoming a lawyer.  (She wasn't such a scapegoat as climbing onto the windowsill was her idea.)  This was a huge moment for me also because I had read a book, Find the Way Home, about a boy getting himself un-lost.  The first thing he said was, "Crying never does any good."  I repeated this in the car, in which I rode standing, and by the time we reached the hospital I was no longer crying.  This marked the first time EVER where reading directly impacted my thoughts and actions in a major situation.  (Previously I was influenced only by more minor things, such as folding clothes neatly.)  Since then reading has greatly influenced my life.

While I was being treated, a boy my age with a small cut on his head was screaming bloody murder and the doctors told him, "Look at that little girl over there.  She is much more seriously hurt and she is not crying at all."  This did wonders for my spirits.  (People who saw my X-rays after breaking my leg also wondered why I was not screaming!)  Since breaking my leg, I've stayed in a guest room with a space heater, which really dries out the air, so I run a vaporizer constantly.  I am happy to say they've come on a bit since then and this one stays cool!  The old one was quite literally scalding.  I have saved it and the cast from my leg and may create a charming little display sometime--too bad I don't still have my arm sling, but I do have a picture of me wearing it!

In fourth grade my sisters and our friend and I decided to cut through this yard with an old overgrown garden including a fountain turned frog pond.  The fence was of large wooden upright planks nailed to upper and lower cross beams.  The part the others cut through was loose, and I hesitated.  If I went over the fence, the tops of the planks were sharp and I was afraid would scratch, but if I went through the gap, it was small and might snap shut and trap me.  I hung in indecision with them yelling at me to hurry, lingering over which way to go, till a section broke under my weight, I fell on it and drove a rusty nail into the side of my leg behind the knee, and had to have tetanus shots.  This cursed if you do, cursed if you don't, and cursed because you didn't do either, became a metaphor for my existence.  That winter I invited a friend sledding and he broke his arm, for which his father blamed me.  Although I was not the one injured, I was made to suffer for this.  (In fairness, his parents did awful things to people who had not broken his arm either.  They lost him every friend he ever had and he is now orphaned, quite friendless, and all alone in the world.)

The summer before sixth grade, a pastor took a church youth group to a state park with an extremely cold lake.  We jumped in and I felt the right side of my jaw snap.  On the way back in the car, the jaw was sticking, mostly open, but when I managed to shut it, it wouldn't open right and would then stick open.  I went into a panic because I had heard of lockjaw (which comes right after tetanus, and my shot from the year before was probably still good but I didn't know that).  All I knew was that lockjaw was absolutely awful and my step-great-grandmother died of it.  My grandmother was all over every cut with iodine because of this.  When I told everyone I was dying of lockjaw, they laughed.  For years my jaw made the most awful noises.  Some people couldn't stand to be around me eating pizza with a thick crust, for instance.  My dentist also laughed until he went to a conference about TMJ, but when he came back he said it was best to let well enough alone.  The thing never did go back.  Once when my uncle was giving me a neck/head massage, he immediately remarked that my jaw didn't match at both sides; I informed him it had been like that since 1973.

In sixth grade, we made a sort of trapeze of the clothesline poles.  I tried to hit it running, so as to swing harder, missed and landed on my right arm.  Again, no one believed I was really hurt.  My dad thought I was exaggerating, and my teacher thought I was trying to get out of P. E.  Finally when a classmate brushed against me, I would say not even her arm hit my arm, but her sleeve touched mine and it felt like I'd touched an electric fence, I insisted on going to the doctor.  The X-Rays showed a broken upper arm bone, but it was cracked and then pushed back together when I had tried to rise--the doctor said buckled--so instead of a cast I got a sling!  What a rip-off.  I never broke another bone until my ankle last December.

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:29 AM

Wow, you guys win!  I was lucky; no broken bones (touch wood) or accidents growing up.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#8 blazegardner

blazegardner

EVP

• GS Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

I wish I could post my leg injury pics on here but no matter how much I try it's some how too big��

#9 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

View Postblazegardner, on 09 March 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I wish I could post my leg injury pics on here but no matter how much I try it's some how too big ??

Try a free photo sharing site like photobucket then all you have to do is upload your pictures and post the links here :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#10 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

cuts, scrapes, stepping on nails, thorns, etc. (running around barefoot in the woods, what was I thinking)

Mid-late teens, broken fingers in martial arts training pulled muscles.

adult, injuries car accidents, burns from cooking (including dropping a turkey pie straight from the oven on to my foot, gravy eveywhere, and I worried about cleaning up the mess before realizing I was hurt.)

#11 lorac61469

lorac61469

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

Growing up we would put our dog in the garage while we were out so he wouldn't chew up things.  There was a heavy metal fire door from the garage into the house and one afternoon as I was letting the dog out the door closed over my foot.  I look down and my big toe nail is standing straight up in the air but still attached to my toe, blood everywhere.  Had to go to the ER to have it completely removed.  I get grossed out thinking about it.

#12 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

I posted my contribution for the benefit of my cousins and they enjoyed it.

#13 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:10 PM

I've had 20 concussions, a Clydesdale has stepped on my foot (cracking a few of the bones) and have dislocated my hip and shoulder.

My worst injury was when I dislocated my hip and walked around that way for a month. I was in 5th grade and I was the only kid ,who could get up into the trees at school, because they cut off the lower limbs. Well i climbed up, then reached down and pulled up my friend. She was in a weird mood that day and picked a fight with me in the tree. One second she was sitting on a limb above me and the next, she lunged at me, knocking us both out of the tree. I landed on the ground and cracked my head on a rock knocking me out, with her atop me and the next thing I knew, was her giving me a right hook to the jaw. She whaled on me and the teacher had to pull her off. My hip was killing me. After school, my Mom asked, 'What's wrong with you?', I told her, 'I fell.'

Well, I walked around for a month with my hip hurting me more and more. It got to the point I was hopping on my left leg and dragging the right. My Mom finally yelled at my Dad, 'Take her to the hospital! I can't stand looking at her!" After the Dr. look at my x-rays he asked me, 'What did you do, jump of a roof!?' He showed me the x-rays, the ball of my femur was 1" below the hip socket. He asked me how long had I been walking like that and I told him about a month. He said, 'You've got strong thigh muscles." My Dad told him, ‘No drugs!’ So, I ended up with them putting it back in sans-anesthesia. I wouldn’t wish that pain on my worst enemy.

In 8th grade I fell on the balance beam and was knocked out cold. I told the gym teacher, that I had medical conditions that could cause a problem on the balance beam. 1) I have vertigo from a massive ear infection, from when I was in 7th grade, which left me partially deaf and with a slight touch of vertigo. 2) I have low blood pressure that makes me dizzy when I move too quickly, 3) I had developed a fear of heights, due to too many falls, that ended up in concussions. Well, she made me get on it and made me do a handstand, which by the way, I couldn’t even do on the ground and long story short, my hands shot out from under me and I fell onto the balance beam. When I came to, the girls were screaming and crying, ‘She’s Dead! She’s Dead!’ They all sounded, as if they were at an end of a tunnel. Coach, from the boy’s side of the gym, banged through the partition door and yell, ‘What the H’ was that?’ They told him, I was dead. He knelt down and asked, if I could hear him? I said, yes. He then checked to make sure I could move and asked me what happened and I told him, ‘The witch, spelt with a B, (gym teacher) was trying to kill me.’ The lump was the size of a grapefruit and to this day, I’ve now have a noticeable dent running across the top of my head.

Another time an incident left me with a permanent headache. It was back in ’97 and I was at work. WE had a sudden thunderstorm brew up during one particular hit summer day. I had left my car windows open, because I didn’t have an AC unit. I rushed out to roll up the windows. I got all of them up, but the driver side and as I was rolling up the window, I noticed a bolt of lightning and I dive into the car missed the entrance and cracked my head on the door frame. I remember my head snapping back and the next thing I know, I’m waking up sprawled across both from seats and I could see pretty sparkles, even though my eyes were shut. My head felt like it was going to explode. When I finally made it back inside my co-workers told me I’d been gone 17 minutes. I must have been out for twelve of them.

One of the Lost Prevention and warehouse guys were part-time EMT’s and wanted me to go to the ER. I said, there’s no way I’m punching out. We compromised and as long as I didn’t vomit or pass out, I could stay at work. I’ve got a dent on the side of my head and are on meds for the pain.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 23 March 2016 - 11:15 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#14 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostMacCionoadha, on 23 March 2016 - 11:10 PM, said:

I've had 20 concussions, a Clydesdale has stepped on my foot (cracking a few of the bones) and have dislocated my hip and shoulder.

Just reading your experiences sent chills through my body and made me hurt all over!  :cwy: :ermm:
Oh, and about the last experience you shared... are you still on meds for the pain? I couldn't tell by the way you wrote the sentence.
May good fortune and safety be with you for the rest of your life, is my prayer. I think you've been through enough!  :yes:

#15 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:54 PM

View PostCorisCapnSkip, on 14 March 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

I posted my contribution for the benefit of my cousins and they enjoyed it.

Your family may have enjoyed seeing your experiences all written out here on the forums.... but it made my body ache all over, especially my jaw!  :cwy:
Let's hope for a safe and peaceful life for you from here on out.  :)

#16 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 23 March 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Just reading your experiences sent chills through my body and made me hurt all over!  :cwy: :ermm:
Oh, and about the last experience you shared... are you still on meds for the pain? I couldn't tell by the way you wrote the sentence.
May good fortune and safety be with you for the rest of your life, is my prayer. I think you've been through enough!  :yes:

Thank you for the prayers and best wishes. That's only a fraction of my experiences and yes, I am still on the meds for the pain. Some days I'll get a stress headache on top of it and the meds don't help with those. So, I hole up in a darkened room and wait for the stress ones to subside.

I used to go to a chiropractor. they had a form to fill out and one of the lines stated to write down all traumas, but it only gave you  three lines to write on. I went to the receptionist and asked for another piece of paper. She asked why and I told her I needed more room. She told me to turn it over and write on the back.. The Dr. had x-rays taken of my spine and a few days later, had me come in for a conference.  He looked at me and said, 'When I read your response about traumas, I couldn't believe it. Until I looked at your x-rays.' He showed me an x-ray of a normal spine. Then he showed me mine. He said, 'Your back is 95% out of alignment, How the H*ll are you walking!' My response was, 'Painfully.' He said, 'I'm not surprised.'

Posted Image

My Shop

#17 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:45 AM

So was the chiropractor able to help at all?

#18 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

It did help. It's about 65% back into alignment.

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 24 March 2016 - 03:59 PM.

Posted Image

My Shop

#19 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,026 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

I've had good luck with my Chiro, although they stopped taking our insurance :(   My hip gets out of wack sometimes and it affects the way I walk, makes me kind of lopsided and puts more stress on one leg. Best thing though is getting my neck tweaked, gets rid of headaches when my neck is out of alignment
Posted Image

#20 blazegardner

blazegardner

EVP

• GS Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Here's my knee gash from me being a wannabe stuntman back in 2011, oooh did that make me feel sick lol