12 replies to this topic

#1 Snickers

Snickers

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

What is your opinion about what happened to the nine hikers of Dyatlov Pass?  I think this is a facinating story!
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#2 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Do you have a preferable link to share I can read from? Sorry I live under a rock. Honestly, I haven't had television for 12 years now.
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

EVP, here's the info: https://en.wikipedia...v_Pass_incident

From the above Wiki link, the theories:

Avalanche[edit]

The theory that an avalanche caused the hikers' deaths, while initially popular, has since been questioned. Reviewing the sensationalist "Yeti" hypothesis (see below), American skeptic author Benjamin Radford suggests as more plausible;

"that the group woke up in a panic (...) and cut their way out the tent either because an avalanche had covered the entrance to their tent or because they were scared that an avalanche was imminent (...) (better to have a potentially repairable slit in a tent than risk being buried alive in it under tons of snow). They were poorly clothed because they had been sleeping, and ran to the safety of the nearby woods where trees would help slow oncoming snow. In the darkness of night they got separated into two or three groups; one group made a fire (hence the burned hands) while the others tried to return to the tent to recover their clothing, since the danger had apparently passed. But it was too cold, and they all froze to death before they could locate their tent in the darkness. At some point some of the clothes may have been recovered or swapped from the dead, but at any rate the group of four whose bodies were most severely damaged were caught in an avalanche and buried under 4 metres (13 ft) of snow (more than enough to account for the 'compelling natural force' the medical examiner described). Dubinina's tongue was likely removed by scavengers and ordinary predation."[9]

Evidence contradicting the avalanche theory includes:[10][11]
  • The location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. An avalanche would have left certain patterns and debris distributed over a wide area. The bodies found within ten days of the event were covered with a very shallow layer of snow and, had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party, these bodies would have been swept away as well; this would have caused more serious and different injuries in the process and would have damaged the tree line.
  • Over a hundred expeditions to the region were held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche. A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics revealed that the location was entirely unlikely for such an avalanche to have occurred. The "dangerous conditions" found in another nearby area (which had significantly steeper slopes and cornices) were observed in April and May when the snowfalls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.
  • An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a very specific avalanche that circumvents the other criticisms, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent. It had collapsed laterally but not horizontally.
  • Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotaryov was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche.
Infrasound[edit]

Another hypothesis popularized by Donnie Eichar's 2013 book Dead Mountain is that wind going around Holatchahl Mountain created a Kármán vortex street, which can produce infrasound capable of inducing panic attacks in humans.[12][13] According to Eichar's theory, the infrasound generated by the wind as it passed over the top of the Holatchahl mountain was responsible for causing physical discomfort and mental distress in the hikers.[12] Eichar claims that, because of their panic, the hikers were driven to leave the tent by whatever means necessary, and fled down the slope. By the time they were further down the hill, they would have been out of the infrasound's path and would have regained their composure, but in the darkness would be unable to return to their shelter. [12]The traumatic injuries suffered by three of the victims were the result of their stumbling over the ledge of a ravine in the darkness and landing on the rocks at the bottom.
Military tests[edit]

Some people believe it was a military accident which was then covered up; there are records of parachute mines being tested by the Russian military in the area around the time the hikers were there.[citation needed] Parachute mines detonate a meter or two before they hit the ground and produce similar damage to those experienced by the hikers, heavy internal damage with very little external trauma. There were also glowing orbs reported in the sky in that general vicinity, possibly caused by such ordnance. This theory uses animals to account for the missing parts of Dubinina.[14] People believe the bodies were moved; photos of the tent show that it was apparently erected incorrectly, something that these experienced hikers are unlikely to have done.[15]
This theory, in particular when speculating on radiological weapons, is partly based on the findings of radioactivity on some of the clothing as well as the bodies being described by relatives as having orange skin and grey hair. However, radioactive dispersal would have affected all of the hikers and equipment instead of just some of it, and the skin and hair discolouration can be explained by a natural process of mummification after three months of exposure to the cold and winds. Furthermore, the initial suppression of files regarding the group's disappearance by Soviet authorities is sometimes mentioned as evidence of a cover-up, but the concealment of information regarding domestic incidents was standard procedure in the USSR and therefore far from peculiar. And by the late 1980s, all Dyatlov files had been released in some manner.[16]
Paradoxical undressing[edit]

iScience Times posited that the hikers' deaths were caused by hypothermia, which can induce a behavior known as paradoxical undressing in which hypothermic subjects remove their clothes in response to perceived feelings of burning warmth.[17] That six out of nine hikers died of hypothermia is undisputed. However, others in the group appear to have acquired additional clothing (from those who had already died) which suggests that they were of a sound mind enough to try to add layers. However, there is no explanation for how this behavior could happen to all nine hikers, at the same time.
Cryptozoological encounter[edit]

The 2014 Discovery Channel special Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives explored the cryptozoology theory that the Dyatlov group was killed by a Menk or Russian Yeti. The show begins with the premise that the skiers' injuries were such that only a creature with superhuman strength could have caused them.[18] The episode concluded with there being no evidence for their claims.[19]
Other[edit]

Donnie Eichar, who investigated and made a documentary about the incident, evaluated several other theories that are deemed unlikely or have been discredited:[16]
  • They were attacked by Mansi or other local tribesmen.
The local tribesmen were known to be peaceful and there was no track evidence of anyone approaching the tent.
  • They were attacked and chased by animal wildlife.
There were no animal tracks and the group would not have abandoned the relative security of the tent.
  • High winds blew one member away, and the others attempted to rescue the person.
A large experienced group would not have behaved like that, and winds strong enough to blow away people with such force would have also blown away the tent.
  • An argument, possibly related to a romantic encounter that left some of them only partially clothed, led to a violent dispute.
About this, Eichar states that it is "highly implausible. By all indications, the group was largely harmonious and sexual tension was confined to platonic flirtation and crushes. There were no drugs present and the only alcohol was a small flask of medicinal alcohol, found intact at the scene. The group had even sworn off cigarettes for the expedition." Furthermore, a fight could not have left the massive injuries that one body had suffered.

Edited by Vlawde, 25 October 2017 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

#4 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Wihtout reading the theories I came away with two immediate thoughts.

A couple were found half naked. In this type of diverse conditions I thought about paradoxical undressing. The body has nerve damage due to hypothermia and is fooled into thinking it's overheating. I have read about this condition before. The second thought was a heard avalanche and they cut themselves out quickly ran and got lost. I read later on in the article confirming those possibilities. The radiation levels I won't even speculate.

From Vlawde American skeptic author Benjamin Radford suggests as more plausible;

That guy drives me nuts even when he makes sense in this case. I'd swear he sleeps in the same bed as Randi :)

Edited by EVP, 25 October 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Snickers

Snickers

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostEVP, on 25 October 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Do you have a preferable link to share I can read from? Sorry I live under a rock. Honestly, I haven't had television for 12 years now.

I don't watch television either, I read about it online, just google it...
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#6 Snickers

Snickers

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

The initial conclusion was ' an unknown compelling force'.  What would make you leave a tent, by cutting it from the inside, during below zero weather conditions, barely dressed? And why not use the door? Why cut their only shelter? It seems to me, something would have had to happen inside the tent to make them do this?

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for sharing very strange and tragic loss
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#8 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Aliens. :good:
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#9 Dazzled Dad

Dazzled Dad

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

#10 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostDazzled Dad, on 26 October 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Exactly lol.
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#11 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

lol dazzled dad!!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#12 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Why would they go to bed poorly dressed? I would have been fully dressed at that temperature... even in my sleeping bag!
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#13 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 26 October 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Why would they go to bed poorly dressed? I would have been fully dressed at that temperature... even in my sleeping bag!

It's referred to as paradoxical undressing. The body has nerve damage due to hypothermia and is fooled into thinking it's overheating. It's fairly common behavior believe it or not under those conditions.

Edited by EVP, 27 October 2017 - 12:48 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users