450 replies to this topic

#1 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Probably 3/4 of my posts on Facebook are about food and I thought I'd spread the pain.

What are you cooking today or what do you love to make?

We eat a ton of vegetarian Indian food around here.   The vegetable resistant boy will eat any vegetables I put in front of him if they're in Indian food.

It's unseasonably warm here today so I made ranch pasta salad.   It's the Suddenly Salad kit only I actually make it instead of buying the box kits.

Ranch Pasta Salad :

Shaped pasta of your choice (I used fusilli today,  but it should be shells to be proper)
Frozen or fresh baby peas
Frozen or fresh carrots,  diced or julienned
Other vegetables as you see fit (broccoli,  tomatoes,  sun dried tomatoes,  cauliflower all go well in this)
Hidden Valley Ranch packet (or homemade ranch mix you c get anywhere on the Internet)
Mayonnaise or vegannaise
Crumbled bacon or bacon bits
Shredded cheddar if you like it in it (I don't)

Mix the dressing mix and mayo,  set aside (I just put mayonnaise,  about a cup to a packet).   Meanwhile,  cook the pasta and harder vegetables to "done"  (crisp/tender on the veg).   Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.   Mix everything together,  reserving the bacon bits and cheese until just before serving.   Keep in refrigerator until serving.   If you make it the day before moisten it with a little more mayo just before serving if it absorbs everything.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#2 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Yum. That sounds good. My go to food dish for a rainy/snowy day is soup. Here's a few that everyone loves:

Tortellini Soup

2 T olive oil
1/2c carrots, diced small
1/2c onions, diced small
1/2c green peppers, diced small
1 T garlic, minced
4 scallions, sliced, divide whites from greens
10 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 tsp dried basil/ 2 tsp fresh
1 tsp dried oregano/ 2 tsp fresh
1 T dried parsley/ 2 tsp fresh, divided in half
1/2c zucchini, diced small
1 qt chicken/beef broth
1 lb chicken/beef tortellini
Salt & pepper
Parmesan cheese

Saute carrots, onions, peppers, garlic and scallion whites in olive oil, until onions are soft and translucent, but not brown. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and half of parsley; saute for 5 minutes. Add broth, zucchini and tortellini; cook until tortellini is done, according to package directions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, add remaining parsley and serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

Tomato Cheddar Soup

4 c tomatoes, cooked
    1 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
    2 c water
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1 carrot, grated fine
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    3 T flour
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 c extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Combine tomatoes with water, carrot, bay leaf, onion and pepper. Simmer slowly for twenty minutes. Add salt and pepper; then strain.

Make a paste of butter and flour. Pour the strained tomatoes into the paste. Cook five minutes, stirring constantly; add cheese. Cook ten minutes more; stirring occasionally. Top with whipped or sour cream.

Gumbo for Two

2 (5- to 7-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 small onion, chopped fine
    1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup minced celery
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1 3/4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    4 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
    1 tomato, cored, seeded, and chopped
    3/4 cup frozen sliced okra

Season chicken with salt and pepper; set aside. Toast flour in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer flour to bowl and whisk in oil. Microwave, covered, until roux is dark brown, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through microwaving.

Transfer brown roux to now-empty pan. Stir in onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken and bay leaf to pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.

Transfer chicken to plate and remove pan from heat. Skim fat from surface of gumbo with large spoon. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut or shred into bite-size pieces and return to pan; discard bones.

Stir sausage, tomato, and okra into gumbo. Bring to simmer over medium heat and cook until heated through, about 7 minutes. Discard bay leaf, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. (Gumbo can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

Salmon Chowder

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    4 ounces salt pork, rind removed, rinsed, and cut into 2 pieces
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
    Salt and pepper
    1 bay leaf
    5 cups water
    2 pounds skinless salmon fillets, sliced crosswise into 6 equal pieces
    1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    2 cups whole milk
    1 tablespoon cornstarch

Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, salt pork, thyme, ¾ teaspoon salt, and bay leaf; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and bring to simmer. Remove pot from heat, gently place cod fillets in water, cover, and let fish stand until opaque and nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using metal spatula, transfer cod to bowl.

Return pot to medium-high heat, add potatoes, and bring to simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender and beginning to break apart, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk milk, cornstarch, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in bowl. Stir milk mixture into chowder and return to simmer. Return fish and any accumulated juices to pot. Remove pot from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove and discard salt pork and bay leaf. Stir gently with wooden spoon to break fish into large pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#3 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,791 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:13 AM

That there looks like some tasty recipes, MacCion!

I like Miracle Soup if it's made right. I like it with lot's of cabbage. You can look it up on the web.

Posted Image
Carrot's aren't shown much in this illustration but it needs several of them!  ;)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#4 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

Haha no recipes here. I stick on a low carb protein diet during the week, basically eggs, bacon, salad and either chicken (mostly) or ground beef. Weekends I eat whatever, fast food, restaraunt food. Don't do a lot of cooking at home, aside from stuff like spaghetti. Just easier and mostly cheaper to pick up food out or something pre made or frozen from the store.
Posted Image

#5 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Oh yum.   I'm not a big soup person but those sound really good.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do today for supper.   I  have a bunch of random stuff I'll probably throw together for hotdish (casserole).   I should probably use the potatoes I have so that'll probably be the starchy base,  then the husband grilled hamburgers to go with the salad and didn't use all of it so that'll go in and I got a bunch of frozen vegetables the other night so a package of probably the ones with the peppers and water chestnuts...  and maybe American Chinese flavors (soy sauce).   Or I could make a  biryani...  I have a bunch of yogurt that's been hanging around for a while.

Now that I thought of it I think biryani is happening.

This is a really yummy recipe for it:  http://indianhealthy...biryani-recipe/

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#6 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

This is supposed to be a side dish, but I love this as a main meal, when I add crumbled bacon to it.  

Corn Casserole
  • 15oz. whole kernel corn canned, drained or fresh or frozen
  • 15oz. can cream corn
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 8oz. box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix* (for less fat you can make your own version of mix, see below)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and set aside. Mix all ingredients together and pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set in the middle.

Corn Muffin Mix* (This recipe equals one box of Jiffy Mix)
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#7 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Music, Meditation, The Outdoors, The Beatles, Reading, Writing, Celebrity Grave Hunting, Storm Chasing, The Paranormal (Ghosts & UFO's), Computers, Romance, Travel, Literature & Photography.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sunday: Cereal for Breakfast, No Lunch, Fried Chicken Legs, rice and gravy, one dinner roll, a salad a glass of milk for Dinner
Monday: Cereal for Breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, steak, potatoes, a salad and milk for Dinner.
Tuesday: Same as Monday.
Wednesday: Cereal for Breakfast, a salad for Lunch, a Hamburger for Dinner
Thursday: Cereal for Breakfast, Soup for Lunch, a sandwich for Dinner
Friday: Fruit bowl for Breakfast, Salad for Lunch, PIZZA for Dinner!
Saturday: A 2 egg cheese omelet, sausage patty, milk, orange juice, croissant roll for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner same as Monday.

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,791 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

Captain... What's in between...snacks? That's what we all want to hear about.  ;)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#9 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Haha I do notice most of Tantrics FB posts are talking about what she is making for dinner. I used to cook more...but just don't have the energy or time after work.
Posted Image

#10 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Music, Meditation, The Outdoors, The Beatles, Reading, Writing, Celebrity Grave Hunting, Storm Chasing, The Paranormal (Ghosts & UFO's), Computers, Romance, Travel, Literature & Photography.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 08 May 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Captain... What's in between...snacks? That's what we all want to hear about.  ;)

A Pepsi Cola and a candy bar. :)

#11 vave82GStudy

vave82GStudy

The Fairy with an Attitude

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:04 AM

I love food posts haha! And thank you for posting delicious recipes!!!! I am one of those crazy people who like organic foods haha. And greens, lots of greens. LOL!

#12 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

Speaking of recipes, here's one you might need if you get a hangover.

Hangover Recipe

#13 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

I've made the corn casserole only with creamed corn.   I liked it but the husband type person did not so it hasn't been repeated.

CK:  is that what you always eat?   People who eat the same thing over and over fascinate me.   I have regulars but I rarely even make those more than once a month.   I couldn't eat the same thing every day.

Vave,  one of my favorite things is a riff on aloo gobi.   Instead of cauliflower (the gobi part)  I'll use a bunch of kale or mustard greens or collard greens.   It reminds me of when Auntie (my friend from India's mom)  used to feed me random things in front of visiting relatives to laugh at me.   The mustard greens horrified me at the time...  I was trying to figure out how to politely make them leave my mouth because they refused to be swallowed...  but now I crave them.

I  riff off of Aarti Sequera's recipe on the food network.   I  use amchur powder for the bitter and add garam masala because it's not quite rounded as written for American kitchens.

http://www.foodnetwo...obi-recipe.html

Posted Image

#14 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

TK, that was just a sample. There are variations. :)

#15 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:10 AM

yumm, I love this post!

I'm not the best eater - I skip breakfast and lunch sometimes (bad I know...) but at the moment I'm sticking with an apple for breakfast, and some cruskits with cottage cheese, pesto and tomatoes for lunch :D
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#16 The monkey with no name

The monkey with no name

Apport

• GS Member
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Photography - photoshop - spooks - goth chicks - hot Indian curries.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:36 AM

Hot Indian curries lots of fish dishes red wine and whiskey.

Ham cheese and tomato on crusty brown bread.

Posted Image

#17 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

I made one heck of a chicken Parmesan sandwich last week.  Here's the recipe...

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Ragu Pasta Sauce

Sargento cheese (your choice of mozzarella or provolone)

Italian bread crumbs

Italian spices

Three eggs

Hoagie buns

Pan-fry the chicken in the bread crumbs.  After it is fried to your liking, pour some pasta sauce over it.  Let that simmer for 10 minutes.  After that, put some cheese of your choice on there and let that simmer for around 5 minutes.  Toast up some hoagie buns, and put the chicken in between them.

Enjoy!

Posted Image

"Somehow through it all...  We carry on...

Raise you up when you fall...  We carry on...

Bury the past...  Wounds remain...  Through it all...  A desire to live again"

#18 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

That sounds like a good recipe for quick chicken parm!   I made eggplant parmesan once (I am not fond of cleaning up after frying so I don't generally fry anything) and it was so much better than what you can get elsewhere.

And that made me think of schnitzel.   I will do that occasionally.   Pound a pork (or chicken or veal) cutlet out very thin,  dip in flour that's been heavily seasoned with salt and pepper and maybe a little chili powder or paprika,  then into beaten egg,  then into either fine bread crumbs or back into the flour,  shallow fry (so more oil than sautéing but not enough to float it)  until browned,  serve with gravy or,  properly,  a German sauer sauce and noodles.

Posted Image

#19 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Breakfast scrambled eggs and toast, slice of carrot cake, banana sandwich lunch,  Salmon and salad for dinner tonight yum
Posted Image

#20 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

What's a banana sandwich?   PB  and bananas,  sautéed bananas,  a sandwich made with banana bread?   Please do elaborate.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users