• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

I had ideas quite a way back to build something but things got in the way etc etc and I just did not seem to have time, however after a bit of a move around in the house I have now built the 2nd Ultimate Desk. My first ultimate desk was when I was a kid and my dad built a desk for me to have in my bedroom and it was massive, well massive for a kid but it has lots of room to put my zx80 computer on in 1980.

So here we are in 2017 and just having a simple home desk which was way to cluttered with all my stuff I decided to build Ultimate Desk #2,

Posted Image

So I spent many days just going over and over in the sizes I could make it, how much workspace to have, how many drawers, access to power etc etc etc

I finally made my plan and I had tried to use all Ikea bits to put it all together. I did have some restrictions from the wife that it had to be Oak (effect) and not white (which was what I was wanting).

3 weeks ago we went to Ikea and I got all my bits....
Qty 3 Oak Effect 120cm Linnmon Table tops
Qty 3 Alex Drawer sets
Qty 1 110cm LACK shelf (with 4 Capita 15cm Legs)
Qty 3 Tertial Work Lamps
Qty 1 Kitchen Chopping board

Non-Ikea parts
Qty 1 Dual mount PC Monitor stand
Qty 1 Power Brick for 6 USB devices
Qty 1 Earthing mount point panel and wrist strap
Qty 1 Pull-up 4 way Power sockets (pull up out of desk to give 4 power sockets)
Qty 1 8 way Anti-Surge Power Extension lead (to power the whole desk and mounted underneath the table top)
Qty 1 PC 2:1 Sound system to fit the new sleek look.

I built the desk and as you can see it looks good and lots of space.

Posted Image

I am a bit partial to soft toys so in the photo you can see Scooby Doo my paranormal sceptic and right underneath the monitors I have an original Red dragon from Dragon Systems, an original Tux that came with Linux Ver 1 all those years ago and one knitted chicken that my mother made me in memory of the chickens I used to keep. Sorry I have digressed a bit.

I initally had a PC system with 3 monitors as seen in the first photo, but on the new desk I only have 2 now as the third is now a 42in TV on the other side of the room, so I can work on 2 screens and then look over to the TV and see either my desktop or whatever is being piped to the TV from the PC, or just switch the TV source for normal Satellite SKY TV

Now that I have lots of room and I brought all my electronics equipment in from the cold garage and now into all those lovely drawers and I use the kitchen chopping block as my sacrificial workspace when soldering and cutting etc. The old 3 drawer is from my old desk and it nearly matches so I kept it for additional storage and somewhere to keep the chopping board on top.

So now I have room to breathe, surf and build in the WARM

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

What a difference from photo A to photo B! ....you my friend now have the perfect work station!  :)
And the bonus is, you are now much more organized! ......a clean and organized environment creates a clear mind. So you will be much more efficient in your daily tasks, duties and research.

I thought I was well organized... I can see I now have some work to do to catch up with you.  B)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Ooo, so cool, I want that desk. :lol:

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Cheers.

Now I am using the space wisely and it is making my life easier plus it's a lot easier on the eye (ie not messy and cramped). Over the years my old desk and I have been in the garage, the conservatory, the main bedroom, one of the smaller beds before the kids came and in the main living area. We were going to convert the garage into proper living space and the quote was really good, but the wife decided to have a new fitted kitchen/conseratory, so for at leat the next 5 years I am now staying in the main living area which is good as it's warm and has easy access to the kitchen for yums.

I can now work on a lot more small electrronic projects is easy, next up is an ultrasonic sensor based on an arduino with temp sensors, and logging data to SD and networking, which can been seen in the middle of my desk in the photo. This is going to be placed into a sealed large dia (8in) water tube, wrapped in foil for the faraday effect and illuminted internally by IR with a camera recording the inside and pumping the video out onto a laptop. I hope to build some sort of isolated trigger to register if anything moves it or touches it as I will encourage spirits to touch and thus recording everything with data/video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users