• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

At least, I don't know what it was or any other way to describe it.  I would LOVE to hear someone explain this away for me.
To begin with, I have never been an avid believer in things supernatural.  And to be completely honest, I tend to be skeptical of stories.  Except that this happened to me over 30 years ago, I know what happened, and it forces to try and understand the unknown.  I seldom share the story because I don't expect anyone to believe it.  I wouldn't if someone told me.  The difference is, it happened to me so I am confronted by my own experience versus my general ideas about nature.  Here's what happened:

I was 16 or 17 years old and had dropped my girlfriend off after a date and was heading home.  She lived in town; I lived in the country.  As I was nearing the top of a ridge, surrounded by farmland on either side, something began beating sporadically on the roof of my car.  It was directly over the passenger side.  And it was beating hard, like fists pounding.  I immediately hit the brakes and it stopped, but only momentarily.  Then it began again.  I took off and hit the brakes again attempting to throw it off.  Each time I hit the brakes it would stop for a moment.  I then tried swerving and it would again stop until I resumed driving normally.  Only I wasn't driving normal -I was scared to death!  My tongue went numb?! It was a few years later during my training as a medic in the Army that I learned this is a sign of hyperventilating.   This pounding on the roof of my car continued for approximately four miles until I got home.  The second I pulled into our driveway it stopped.  Our drive was about 1/4 mile and it had completely stopped as soon as tires hit the drive.  I was afraid to get out the car, but forced myself to jump out and turned to see what might be there.  Nothing.  I ran in the house, woke my parents, and made my dad come out and look at the car.  He tried to tell me a stick had lodged in the wheel well, or an opossum had jumped on the roof, something logical.  I know better.  The next day, in daylight, I made him look again.  I described it to him and replicated the sound by banging on the roof.  My father, an engineer, said there had to be a logical explanation, but didn't know what it was.

Nothing like that ever happened before, nor again.  I've never seen a ghost, heard strange sounds, anything unusual. But this happened to me and it was a terrifying experience.  I would love to know what it might have been.  I would love for someone to give me a logical explanation.  The only other relevant thing I can add is that there had been a horrible triple homicide on that ridge about 10 years prior, before we had even moved to the area.  This was in Jefferson County, KY in 1983.

Edited by Kentuckian, 21 February 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Wow, that is a terrifying experience. I don't think I would have been too keen to get out of the car either. I have had stuff happen in my car but nothing like banging :no: I can't explain what happened either. Maybe paranormal :yes:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

The only thing I can think of that is out in Jefferson County is the Pope Lick Monster.
Posted Image

#4 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

MrsFrootloops,
Of course I have heard of the Pope Lick Monster having grown up in the area.  That is actually about 10 miles from where this occurred.  But I wasn't near any rail, and there was nothing on either side of the road from which something could have jumped/fallen.  But...I've never thought it could be anything other than a spirit of some sort.  My brother-in-law (a lay pastor) explained that evil spirits are real, and that my family's love might have been what warded it off once I arrived home?  Or maybe he was being kind and thought it was a teenager's imagination getting the best of him.  The thing is, I guess I am the only one that can ever be certain it happened and wasn't imagination.  I know what I experienced and it was a real event.  But I certainly can't explain it.  I had always thought stories of the Pope Lick Monster were fun stories told to scare one another.  But maybe there's more to the legend?

Edited by Kentuckian, 21 February 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#5 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,972 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

Maybe there was an object or debris on top of the car that certain driving movements caused to bounce around and made that noise, and it had fallen off by the time you got home. Also possibly something going on with the car itself mechanically.

Personally if I heard a knocking that like, my first reaction would be to get out and look, assuming there was a tree branch or animal on the roof...or my date's purse! ;)
Posted Image

#6 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

Vlawde,
Of course that's the logical conclusion to draw, and what my dad suggested at the time, but I know that's not it.  As I said, I would have a hard time believing someone else.  It was pounding as if someone was desperately trying to get into a room pounding on a door or something.  It will sound bizarre, but if you picture someone on the roof of the car, it stopped when you would have to grab ahold to avoid being thrown off, and it started up again once things resumed.  As to stopping to see what it was at the time, that didn't even cross my mind -I was far too scared.

#7 Kellus Konstantin

Kellus Konstantin

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:01 AM

That's a creepy story for sure, I've never heard of ghosts or spirits doing things like that, but I'm by far not the most knowlegable person on that subject. The only thing remotely similar that I've heard of are local legends from where I live. In my region, we have a couple of stories of werevolves who would drop down from trees at night to land on the backs of passerbys and hold on to them in such a manor that they were impossible to shake off by conventional means. The person who had a werewolf sitting on their back in this manner were then forced to keep on walking forward and carry the werewolf on there back until they collapsed from exhaustion. It's a somewhat weird legend, I know, but maybe werevolves have now moved on to jumping on cars instead of people's backs ^_^
Btw, I had to look up the Pope Lick Monster people were mentioning. The name made me think of something adorable, like a Lickitung that's wearing a pope-costume and going around trying to lick people, but the actual creature seems a lot more threatening.
A stranger walked into my head, made residence
I have a friend

#8 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:45 AM

Have you ever looked at or thought about the scenario in any other ways?  This event of the banging would happen once you were up to speed and driving normal.  It stopped when you swerved / slowed down and started again when you got up to speed.  This kept going until you got on your long driveway.  Did it start happening half way home?  Most of the way?  Did it start when you were on the same road that took you to your parents driveway?

What if....this was something that was trying to help / protect you?  What if it was a spirit or something along those lines that was trying to prevent you from going the direction you were heading?  I am going to assume something and please correct me (I asked the question above) if I am wrong.  I think that there was something on your car and it was trying to prevent you from going along your continued path.  It may have known of something down the road that would have been bad for you to come across.  Maybe a cow in the road around a corner that would have caused you to be in a bad accident?  Maybe someone was using the broken down scheme hoping someone would stop and rob or kill the person who stopped?  We could assume ANY scenario of something bad down the road.  You nor will us ever know since it was so long ago.

The banging stopped when you turned off the road to your driveway.  The "whatever it was" did not bang on the roof again.  It stopped because you veered off the path or road you were traveling on that it wanted you to not go.

What if this?  What if it was a guardian angel who was doing something to protect you from harm.  Just enough to make you stop or slow down or whatever to not cross paths with whatever was down the road?  Is this something you ever stopped to consider?  I ask because when I was in HS, I had something happen where I know I experienced an act of true divine intervention that most certainly saved my life.  There were no other possible explanations for what happened that night.  But, I know without any doubt in my mind the only answer it could have been for my scenario.

Can I ask if you are religious, member of a church or have ever been before?

Thanks,

Edited by Louczar, 22 February 2018 - 05:47 AM.

Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#9 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Interesting thought.  I've considered this off and on today.  I should first clarify something.  It didn't wait to start until I was up to speed.  It stopped when I'd brake or swerve, but only briefly and then immediately resumed the banging.  Didn't matter the speed.
As far as an alternate route- no.  KY outer roads run along ridges and this was the only means of getting to my house.  I would have had to backtrack and drive into a different county and down the opposite side of the ridge so there really was no alternate route.  As far as slowing me down due to something/someone in the road-perhaps that's possible.  But if the motive was good, why scare me?  And I mean terrified.
In answer to your other question, yes I am religious.  But not what anyone would consider overly.  I attend church several times a year and I've read the Bible, but I'm not devout to a particular denomination.  
I would much rather consider this was a good encounter, but I simply can't.  I felt like I was being attacked.  The thing is, this encounter conflicts with my general views and that's why I brought it here.  I've not obsessed over this incident, but I've never forgotten it.  And I had decided to use the internet to see if others had reported similar incidents -they haven't that I could find.
I'm not being a naysayer to suggestions.  I welcome them.  It's just hard to really describe it adequately.

Edited by Kentuckian, 22 February 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#10 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:51 AM

that must have been such a scary incident! Do you know if anyone else has experienced something similar on that stretch of road?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostKentuckian, on 22 February 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I would much rather consider this was a good encounter, but I simply can't.  I felt like I was being attacked.  The thing is, this encounter conflicts with my general views and that's why I brought it here.  I've not obsessed over this incident, but I've never forgotten it.  And I had decided to use the internet to see if others had reported similar incidents -they haven't that I could find.
I'm not being a naysayer to suggestions.  I welcome them.  It's just hard to really describe it adequately.

Was there any marks on the vehicle anywhere that you could see after the event happened?  I am sure it was very scary....whatever the true intent was from what was causing it.  I dont know what it could have been.  I only wanted to try to look at it from every angle.  That aside...glad it never happened again!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#12 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

No, there were no marks at al, no scratches, not dents, no scrapes, nothing.  The next day I dragged my father out to look and we went over every possible scenario he could think of.  No marks.  The only thing I came away with is that when I had him bang on the roof over the passenger side -that was the sound I heard.

And no, I don't know of anyone else having such an experience.  Although I did once hear of a story about someone driving down that ridge and feeling as though someone was suddenly in the vehicle with them, and then it disappeared.  But that was one of those, "somebody told me about somebody" type stories so I don't know that it means anything.  Due to the fact that there had been a triple homicide in a house on that ridge years before, sometimes weird stories would be shared.  Despite my own experience, I tend to be rather skeptical of "somebody" type stories.

Edited by Kentuckian, 24 February 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#13 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

I have had issues, as I said, with my car. Mainly with the central locking! I could be driving along and the door locks would go off, opening and shutting the locks. Then I was at a set of traffic lights waiting to turn and the car wanted to continue moving when we were stopped. I had to really step on the break cause the car was moving closer to the one in front. That was scary :confused0068:

I always thought the locking could be mechanical but it could also happen at the strangest times. I could be walking up to the car and it would go through the pop, pop, pop, pop sequence. And yes it was before remote car keys! The car always ended up open, I always thought, I hope it doesn't do that if someone was wanting to seal the car :verymad:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#14 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

It's possible the banging on your roof was directed at an unidentified third party. Just keep that in mind.

#15 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Whether or not you were the lone occupant in the vehicle, it's noteworthy the banging on the roof didn't cease when you first stopped the car. Clearly, halting (or at least merely halting) the vehicle was not the goal.

#16 Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

True North, interesting point.  I honestly don't have any idea what the goal was?  I was the only person in the car at the time so if it was directed at anyone, I suppose it was me.  Or it was random and I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#17 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

View PostKentuckian, on 25 February 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

True North, interesting point.  I honestly don't have any idea what the goal was?  I was the only person in the car at the time so if it was directed at anyone, I suppose it was me.  Or it was random and I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Your passenger seat may have been occupied by a third party.

Whether that's the case or not...

Seeing as the loud banging on your roof didn't cease when you first stopped the car on the road, the goal may have been to get you to exit the vehicle.

#18 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Of course, if this event had nothing to do with an unidentified third party, and the goal of banging on your roof had just been to mess with you / frighten you, well, goal accomplished.

#19 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

Could of it been related to blood pressure, ie the pulsing of blood in your ears?
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Good point Cap, tinnitus and such can sometimes be attributed as being a paranormal issue when it's physical
It's in the trees, it's coming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users