28 replies to this topic

#21 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Sorry, my memory isn't THAT good! It may have been posted here many years ago, but if so, it may have be gone
My Signature
Posted Image

#22 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Oooh found this:

http://www.paranorma...nter +possessed
http://web.archive.o...Possession.html
My Signature
Posted Image

#23 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for finding this Vlawde. Looks like I was wrong about the location. I think they were from Florida and are a defunct team The website is archived.

Here's an active link to those clips.

http://web.archive.o...Possession.html

Edited by EVP, 10 October 2017 - 08:15 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#24 spineofsnake

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Count me as another who pretty much always saw them. I used to babble merrily about ghosts I encountered as a child until my parents told me to stop. My dad later told me they were very unsettled by the things I talked about. I've also always been somewhat of a magnet for paranormal activity, i.e. things would kick off and become more active when I was around. I was lucky enough to have other family members with the same "gift" (definitely didn't feel like it at the time) who taught me some old family wisdom for handling such matters. And as for the "ghosts and mental illness" thread, also count me as one who experienced a strong connection. I had a brief, yet severe, episode of adolescent depression that corresponded strongly with increased paranormal activity, to the point where my family tried to bring in clergy to handle the situation. None of my experiences were singularly informative; it was more like a constant barrage of "extra" information that others could occasionally sense but often not, leaving me isolated. One of the earliest I remember was around age 6 and my mother sent me downstairs to get a ream of paper from the basement office. It was a creepy room I often avoided since it shared an empty doorway with a very dark and bad smelling boiler room. That day, as I was getting the paper I heard the distinct sound of footsteps coming slowly toward me from the back wall of the boiler room. I peered into the pitch black and made out the shape of a gray shadow figure, walking slowly forward in a weird way lurching from side to side. I never RAN so quick up those stairs in my life!

#25 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostEVP, on 08 October 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

That is an amazing account Vlawde. Interesting the investigators, account differed to what actually was recorded. I do not doubt that whatsoever. I often wonder if the manifestation triggers a stage where humans physically hallucinate through increases or fluctuations in EMF. That is not to suggest the event is not real whatsoever but could explain why there are differences.

I have mentioned before that Michael Persinger performed plenty of tests bombarding the frontal lobe with variable low frequency EMF producing etheric hallucinations among his test subjects.

I have never paid that much attention to equipment usage as everyone here knows.  But I caught this last week, an interesting article on Michael Persinger in the May/June 2017 of the Skeptical Inquirer.  Volume 41.3. It was written by Benjamin Radford or Radfield and the article is entitled, "Can Electromagnetic Fields Create Ghosts?"

Take a read because Mr. Persinger's boat sank.  It's been a few years and other researchers have tried to duplicate his findings and they cannot.  Even using Persinger's helmet didn't work.  Another group built a scientific haunted house and put people through it one at a time for 50 minutes periodically bombing them with magnetic fields and it had absolutely no effect on whether or not people reported a strange experience.  I was glad to see Wiseman citing these instances.

It was really interesting.  I buried a few names and gleaned some new ones.   I wanted to put Persinger down for the count.

Now Benjamin R. ended this article with....Until it can be demonstrated that generalized, nonclinical EMF's can create the psychological perception of ghostly phenomena, there is no investigative value in detecting such fields.  If ghost hunters are certain that common household EMF's can create hallucinations, there are simple ways to test the theory.

I wouldn't know what to do so I typed it in:  What are simple ways to test the theory that high EMF fields in household appliances produce hallucinations.   Apparently it's not that simple.   I read on it all day and the only people who cared to recite on it was MSSPI (ghost hunters). If you go to the MSSPI Research Room and type in Townsend in the upper left it will take you their blog on Using EMF Meters and Magnetic Hallucinations.  I learned more from Mark and Maurice Townsend than I did any other reference site.

Oh, I wanted to add that I believe the unknown can manipulate the environment.  :Boo:

Edited by Menet, 15 October 2017 - 06:59 PM.

My Signature
Find an old place with history, with people and learn all its nuances.

#26 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostMenet, on 15 October 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Take a read because Mr. Persinger's boat sank. Now Benjamin R. ended this article with....Until it can be demonstrated that generalized, nonclinical EMF's can create the psychological perception of ghostly phenomena, there is no investigative value in detecting such fields.  If ghost hunters are certain that common household EMF's can create hallucinations, there are simple ways to test the theory.

I have a book written by Radford and he's brutally nasty with paranormal investigators. EM does indeed affect everyone differently. According to what I have read, Persinger tested over many years under laboratory conditions. Honestly just because Radford doesn't endorse the study, that doesn't mean Persingers work be discarded. Look into Barry Taff's investigation at the Tate house. He won't even go back into that location because the intensity of the EMF fields. A regular compass just continues to spin. 95 percent of all investigators leave horribly sick because of the toxic natural geomagnetic conditions there. Taff said the only way he would go back there there was with a full fledged EM suit to protect himself.

There's plenty of accounts where high EM fields have seemingly had a link to etheric experiences, angel sightings, hallucinations, feelings of being watched etc. I have had my share.

I was forced to leave an outdoor location within ten minutes because my body was being purged of energy. My Tri-field Natural meter would not settle and I had never seen this happen before. It wasn't from the battery. I swapped out 3 batteries with the same results. My fellow investigator complained similarly and felt our health was in danger. Call it what you want but both of us went back to her place and slept 12 hours straight feeling exhausted even when we woke.

Back in 2009 we were invited to the Concord Inn in MA for an investigation. Room 24 seemed to be the most active according to the guests. The room overnight regularly went for $250.00. We were offered the room to investigate at "no charge". Unfortunately the proprietors room was directly below and he fell asleep with the TV at full blast. The poor man had broken his leg the week before and passed out from pain killer medication.

We saw the investigation as a complete wash because of the audio contamination and the abundance of contaminant suspended in the air visibly saturated in the video footage illuminated from the IR. We decided to roam the hallways late at night to at least justify our long drive to get to the location.

This was the first night we had brought the human EMF detector with us and discovered just how sensitive he was. In short order our video tech had said, "I periodically feel like I'm being watched as we roam the hallways." The sensation become stronger and then weakens. BTW, our human EMF detector's occupation (our video technician) was a protein purification scientist. He was very skeptical about paranormal activity but extremely curious. Our tech manager (not our video technician) walked back to our room and soon emerged with a Lutron 822 AC meter. It had been used many times before but we only saw small fluctuations from 2-6 mG.

Our tech manager held it up to the overhead battery powered lighting stations for emergency use spread out in 30 foot gaps along the hallways. This is what we saw.

Posted Image

Yes 103 mG. Our video tech had already left the area and vomited in the hotel bathroom. When he came back we tested with him for over an hour. We followed him around and when it became really intense we'd document the readings. When he felt the feeling subside we'd monitor again. We documented carefully. The emergency lighting stations were ancient and all produced high AC EMF Our study was not scientific or in a controlled environment but the readings don't lie unless of course your support the placebo effect causing the vomiting.

Here's my suggestion, don't accept the word at face value from a person unwilling to look outside their own box. I know I don't, I don't trust either side so I choose to explore and find out.
I really enjoy making my own discoveries and drawing my conclusions by persona experience, data, measurements, documentation and an open mind.

Edited by EVP, 16 October 2017 - 02:56 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#27 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

View PostEVP, on 15 October 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

I have a book written by Radford and he's brutally nasty with paranormal investigators. EM does indeed affect everyone differently. According to what I have read, Persinger tested over many years under laboratory conditions. Honestly just because Radford doesn't endorse the study, that doesn't mean Persingers work be discarded. Look into Barry Taff's investigation at the Tate house. He won't even go back into that location because the intensity of the EMF fields. A regular compass just continues to spin. 95 percent of all investigators leave horribly sick because of the toxic natural geomagnetic conditions there. Taff said the only way he would go back there there was with a full fledged EM suit to protect himself.

There's plenty of accounts where high EM fields have seemingly had a link to etheric experiences, angel sightings, hallucinations, feelings of being watched etc. I have had my share.

I was forced to leave an outdoor location within ten minutes because my body was being purged of energy. My Tri-field Natural meter would not settle and I had never seen this happen before. It wasn't from the battery. I swapped out 3 batteries with the same results. My fellow investigator complained similarly and felt our health was in danger. Call it what you want but both of us went back to her place and slept 12 hours straight feeling exhausted even when we woke.

Back in 2009 we were invited to the Concord Inn in MA for an investigation. Room 24 seemed to be the most active according to the guests. The room overnight regularly went for $250.00. We were offered the room to investigate at "no charge". Unfortunately the proprietors room was directly below and he fell asleep with the TV at full blast. The poor man had broken his leg the week before and passed out from pain killer medication.

We saw the investigation as a complete wash because of the audio contamination and the abundance of contaminant suspended in the air visibly saturated in the video footage illuminated from the IR. We decided to roam the hallways late at night to at least justify our long drive to get to the location.

This was the first night we had brought the human EMF detector with us and discovered just how sensitive he was. In short order our video tech had said, "I periodically feel like I'm being watched as we roam the hallways." The sensation become stronger and then weakens. BTW, our human EMF detector's occupation (our video technician) was a protein purification scientist. He was very skeptical about paranormal activity but extremely curious. Our tech manager (not our video technician) walked back to our room and soon emerged with a Lutron 822 AC meter. It had been used many times before but we only saw small fluctuations from 2-6 mG.

Our tech manager held it up to the overhead battery powered lighting stations for emergency use spread out in 30 foot gaps along the hallways. This is what we saw.

Posted Image

Yes 103 mG. Our video tech had already left the area and vomited in the hotel bathroom. When he came back we tested with him for over an hour. We followed him around and when it became really intense we'd document the readings. When he felt the feeling subside we'd monitor again. We documented carefully. The emergency lighting stations were ancient and all produced high AC EMF Our study was not scientific or in a controlled environment but the readings don't lie unless of course your support the placebo effect causing the vomiting.

Here's my suggestion, don't accept the word at face value from a person unwilling to look outside their own box. I know I don't, I don't trust either side so I choose to explore and find out.
I really enjoy making my own discoveries and drawing my conclusions by persona experience, data, measurements, documentation and an open mind.

Sorry, EVP.  It wasn't my intention to upset you.  I wasn't calling you a liar just that I came across an article with reviews and citations concerning Persinger's studies.  I really like Richard Wiseman's citation because he is another proponent of electromagnetic fields causing hallucinations and must have been following Chris French closely in their attempt to replicate the effect in a scientifically controlled environment.  It didn't work.  Same as Bem and retrocausation.   Couldn't be replicated.   The only thing any of it means is back to the drawing board.  Oh well.

And don't think for a minute I didn't catch Radford's snideness.  Still, like yourself he is into controls and a Ghost Hunter.  I'm going to buy his most current book.  I imagine he is an butt, but that's not stopping me.   And like yourself, I find out for myself.

I hope you don't stay mad at me for too long because a haunted house fell into my lap a couple weeks ago and I'm headed there this week on the 20th or the 21st.  Just a preliminary walk through.  I haven't taken my camera out yet....uggh.   I don't want to have lighting be a problem.   I have 2 35mm (nothing expensive, I'm missing that one) I haven't used in decades so they probably need to be cleaned and a pocket digital.

Are we still friends?
My Signature

#28 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

View PostMenet, on 16 October 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

I hope you don't stay mad at me for too long because a haunted house fell into my lap a couple weeks ago and I'm headed there this week on the 20th or the 21st.  Just a preliminary walk through.  I haven't taken my camera out yet....uggh.   I don't want to have lighting be a problem.   I have 2 35mm (nothing expensive, I'm missing that one) I haven't used in decades so they probably need to be cleaned and a pocket digital.

Are we still friends?

Menet, I did not take it personal, I was merely defending my view from my own relative experiences. I respect Dr. Persinger with his work at Laurentian University and that will not change. None of us learn (on either side) if we agree all the time. Your welcome to have any view and if it conflicts I will chalk it to "I agree to disagree".

I was able to come away with several aids in my investigations from Radford. I stopped becoming offended by his belittling and read between the lines and pushed my research even further into real-time investigations, which he faulted the community not performing. There were other valuable tips I implemented but I was forced to change my modus operandi to become a better investigator. I am not a parapsychologist but I am educated, understand the importance of knowing the limitations of equipment and how it works.

I am not going to make this a lesson. I am assuming your experience with investigations are limited. Here are a few guidelines that should help you with success. Hopefully this will increase your chances of a productive investigation.

If you will be performing a preliminary where you will receive background information about the establishment, ensure you bring an audio recorder. This may sound obvious but another important reason needs to be mentioned.

Whatever might be invisibly residing at the location usually prefers to communicate more freely than at an investigation. Your mileage may vary but I am not the only audio technician that has come away with the same observation. Obviously, there are pitfalls in walking with a recorder and I generally do not endorse careless methods but it is a worthwhile effort. To minimize the contamination, try to walk to a spot and stop and record at length and then pause until you move again.

If you do not have an audio recorder, I would highly recommend buying one. Ideally buying a higher quality recorder would be of benefit but being without one will limit you tremendously. My own personal opinion, audio is the single greatest source of evidence collection in paranormal investigation.

If you will be staying, at length I would also recommend old schooling with a pen and paper documenting with a time-stamp and any perceived associated events. It is impossible if you are reviewing, much later to recount all that took place with any accuracy.

If you will be staying with another investigator, do not share the event; simply document and share after the investigation is completely over. If it is a collective event, have the other investigator document the same as you have. If you begin sharing these events during an investigation, you will reducing your time where you should be observing and introducing the possibility of cognitive bias. Just remember, the most important piece of equipment at an investigation is a critical observational intelligent mind willing to document with accuracy.

Lastly, I consider you brave using a film camera with limited recent usage. I used SLR’s (film) from the 80’s to 2000 before switching solely to digital. The number of shots I can make during an investigation using digital without consequence of development cost is my saving factor.

I still highly recommend a video cam system over a digital camera for evidence collection but in a pinch, using a still camera is better than coming away without any visual recording. If you have, any further questions feel free to contact me via PM but a new thread creation will be more helpful to the community.

Edited by EVP, 17 October 2017 - 01:46 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#29 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

Bless your heart, EVP.   I only asked for help with lighting and cameras.   My cameras haven't been used in decades.   I think they qualify as not recently used.   Found some camera shops in town.   I might have to send them out to be cleaned and I have no idea how long that will take.   A review said up to five weeks but that doesn't mean anything until I talk to them.

I'm going in for Jim....for pictures.   The rest of that stuff doesn't mean anything to me.   I've never gone into a place like gangbusters.   I have cameras.   I figure that is good enough.   Oh.  And one more thing.  I have plenty of  experience with haunted places.   I'll apply what I have learned.
My Signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com