• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

And another, this time Parent!

I have just got a phone call from my Mun to ask me if the TV Satellite service (SKY UK) is working as she has problems with her TV. I ask her what does she mean "It's Not Working"? After telling me how she does not want to press any button on the remote control just in case she breaks the TV and I tell he not to be silly, pressing a button on the the remote control is not going to break anything but she is adamant she is not going to do anything in case she breaks it.
So I have just gone over to look at this BIG problem to find she has selected the DVD Source on the TV and there is no picture as the DVD is switched off. I tell her to press the big blue SKY button on the remote and presto up come the TV working fine.
I then have to listen to a load of waffle about how she does not know how to work the TV (That she has had for 10 years) and is scared of breaking it if she presses a wrong button on the remote and still will not listen to reason. This also applies to various other appliances around the house including the Radio, Freezer, Dishwasher, Phone, Computer
It appears that since my father passed 4 months ago she would let him do everything (ie switch on the Dishwasher, Tune the Radio etc) and therefore claims not able to do anything and needs help all the time and won't listen to instructions.
I had to teach her 2 weeks back how to put fuel in the car and she refuses to do it now by herself as it's just too difficult to unscrew the fuel cap and put a nozzle in.
I am quite surprised at this, I don't know if it's just the grief causing her to act this way or she just did do NOTHING around the house,work,car, etc for the past 55 years since she got married to my Dad.
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,025 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

I used to work for Comcast, and I got calls from so many older folks who didn't understand the concept of selecting the right input on the TV. My parents had trouble with that too, I'd try and tell them what to do on the phone and I'd end up having to go ove rthere to fix it
Posted Image

#23 Snickers

Snickers

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

View PostVlawde, on 22 March 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

I used to work for Comcast, and I got calls from so many older folks who didn't understand the concept of selecting the right input on the TV. My parents had trouble with that too, I'd try and tell them what to do on the phone and I'd end up having to go ove rthere to fix it

Guilty!  I don't watch TV, so I haven't a clue how to work the remote!  But.... I do not call anyone to drop what they are doing to come do it for me...lol   on the rare occasion that I walk past the tv and decide to see if there is anything on worth watching, the tv ends up all fuzzy and buzzing with static. I turn it off, walk away, and never admit that I messed it up!
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#24 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

I built my mom an entertainment system with a little computer hooked up so she can stream video, email and talk to her brothers and sisters.

With 5 different hdmi inputs on a hub and numerous thangs that need to be turned on first and then given a few seconds to warm up ... it's vastly too complicated for her or my dad so I setup a Logitech Harmony universal remote thingy. Mom now knows to select what she wants then put the thing down aimed at a certain spot within 5 seconds then whatever she wants will magically start up. There's also a shut everything down button.

I highly recommend the programmable universal remotes {the ones that can do more than just copy a buttons signal} so far there has been no issues that could not be fixed by pressing the Shut EVERYTHING Down button and just starting over :yes: or um moving the pretty flowers out of the way.

Oh things like Amazon Fire TV and Googles Chromecast need periodic updates as does her computer but I drop by every other week or so so it's not an issue :no:

Anywho if the problem is just picking the right input there are a lot of universal remotes that can be made to do that and they are in the $20 or less price range :yes: PLUS are generally nicer than the ones that come with the device.
- siguie -

#25 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

I had to learn all the input stuff when I got my first home theater system several decades ago. Between the cable box, DVD player and various gaming systems it became second nature for me
Posted Image

#26 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostVlawde, on 23 March 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

I had to learn all the input stuff when I got my first home theater system several decades ago. Between the cable box, DVD player and various gaming systems it became second nature for me

Oh yeah it's not difficult :no: but when you start getting more hdmi devices than the tv has slots, you start using things like HDMI switching hubs which are great BUT if you have more than one device on it can get confused and the input is all the same but now you have different devices that may take longer to push a signal and you have to make certain things wait before turning on the next step. It really can get confusing :yes:

Anywho, I wanted to have everything they could possibly want at their fingertips BUT they were so used to just turning the tv on and choosing a channel, anything more complicated and they are more likely to decide it's not worth it and anything added had to make them really want to use it. The computer is almost never used for streaming BUT when I built a VoIP chat room and got my mom's siblings to try it they were on pretty much nonstop because they realized they had free international calling.

So yes, learning the input system isn't hard BUT I can understand some people being reluctant to touch anything AND I still think universal remotes are a great option :yes:

Oh and back to Pet Peeves ... people who take the latest advanced tech and hobble it to make it into what they were used to :wallbash: and worst of all people who expect me to help them do it :down:
- siguie -

#27 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

View Postsiguie, on 23 March 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Oh and back to Pet Peeves ... people who take the latest advanced tech and hobble it to make it into what they were used to :wallbash: and worst of all people who expect me to help them do it :down:

Gee, who's that? :huh:  :confused: :whistling:  :th_sarcastic_blum:

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#28 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

Maybe if you played dumb, Siguie!;)
Posted Image

#29 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:29 PM

LOL, No Siguie's not the dumb type; no one would believe him ;)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#30 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

This thread is great!  Reminded me to get off my butt and order the new chassis and components for my new media server I want to build.  We upgraded to a 65" TV last year (with 5 HDMI inputs...lol).  I currently use my old gaming laptop for my media server.  I already have my new motherboard, 4K video card and 4TB of drives waiting.

My pet peeve is people who are in the fast lane going only 5mph over the speed limit and wont move over (on the highway).  But, when you go to pass them in the center lane...they speed up.
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#31 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I live in a scenic area.  My pet peeve is also traffic related.  We get the looky loo's who are driving fifteen miles below the speed limit, then the ones that pull right out in front of you onto the highway.  It sucks!!

#32 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

People around here don't use their freaking turn signals. How did they ever pass their driving exams
Posted Image

#33 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostMrsFrootloops, on 24 March 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

People around here don't use their freaking turn signals. How did they ever pass their driving exams

That must be a Missouri and Kentucky thing ;)
Posted Image

#34 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Nashville and Michigan too lol, I have to invent new curse words to yell when people cut us off in traffic.
Posted Image

#35 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

You haven't seen crazy until you drive in California
Posted Image

#36 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nvm double post

Edited by Vlawde, 24 March 2018 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

#37 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

View PostLouczarGStudy, on 24 March 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

This thread is great!  Reminded me to get off my butt and order the new chassis and components for my new media server I want to build.  We upgraded to a 65" TV last year (with 5 HDMI inputs...lol).  I currently use my old gaming laptop for my media server.  I already have my new motherboard, 4K video card and 4TB of drives waiting.

My pet peeve is people who are in the fast lane going only 5mph over the speed limit and wont move over (on the highway).  But, when you go to pass them in the center lane...they speed up.

I would be happy if that was the case; here they do about 5 under the speed limit :wallbash:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#38 karmacae

karmacae

"Codladh samh?"

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Family, life, art and antiques

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:59 AM

Nothing gets on my nerves more than people who pick on others just cuz they can. When I lived in a small community, I hardly knew the extent of just how nasty people can be. After I got settled down in a city, I will never be the same. So much ugliness.
Ní thuigeann an seach an seang

#39 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

View Postdaphnerose, on 24 March 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

I live in a scenic area.  My pet peeve is also traffic related.  We get the looky loo's who are driving fifteen miles below the speed limit, then the ones that pull right out in front of you onto the highway.  It sucks!!

We get the idiots who pull out in front of you, from a side road, going 60mph and then slow down to 15mph in a 40mph zone.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 25 March 2018 - 03:27 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#40 karmacae

karmacae

"Codladh samh?"

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Family, life, art and antiques