The Ringing In My Ears...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Icanhearyou

Icanhearyou

EVP

• GS Member
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mediums, Haunted Houses, EVP's, Ghosts, TV shows about ghosts. Not really all that interested when it comes to UFO's and Bigfoot.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

I'm new here and this is my first post. I came specifically looking for other people who experience the ear ringing and thankfully I found some here. I've have paranormal experiences since I was about 12 or 13, but the ear ringing didn't start until about 3 years ago.

During that time, I was a cleaning lady and worked at night. There was an old bank downtown I was cleaning and because special visitors were going to be in the building we had to make sure the lobbies on all six floors in the building were tip top. Usually we didn't clean the 4th floor because there weren't any offices up there but I went up there to vacuum the lobby. Never been up there before. As soon as I walked off the elevator I felt like someone had the palms of their hands pressed against my temples and were squeezing as hard as they could. I practically dropped to my knees because my head hurt so bad and while this was happening the ringing in my ears were loud and sounded like the noise my tv makes when I turn it on but at a different frequency or pitch. I stumbled back into the elevator and hit any button just to get away from that floor. And as the elevator left the floor, the ringing faded away. Needless to say I was pretty freaked out by that and experienced a few other things in that bank but nothing like going to the 4th floor.

Since then, I have paid closer attention to the ringing in my ears. Especially when I'm at my parents house (the house I grew up in), because many of the experiences I've had were at that house. Then I would notice the ringing in other areas that I cleaned downtown, or at my second job in a call center. Then at the restaurant, the gas station, the movie theater and now my apartment. I don't fell scared, I just know that I'm not alone. Even now as I type this I hear the ringing and fell someone behind me are reading these words. Its not constant during the day or night, it comes on suddenly and it will fade away. Sometimes within a few minutes it will come and go but can last for hours (like this evening). I converse with them but I never hear anything. I've also read posts on this site about empathic readings? I can't remember if that's the name but it is something else I experience and have for a long time. I don't know if any of this means anything, if it means I'm sensitive or just crazy. My family has always believed in the paranormal but when I tell them about my experiences I feel like a nut job lol.

And this is my nut job theory, I think that when I can sense a presence, they know that I know they are there. And maybe that is why the ringing happens more often and for longer periods of time. In the last few weeks, there has been some touching. I've felt a hand on my arm and lips against my lips. And the other night it was like someone was poking me with their pointer finger.

So I was just hoping for some insight, I've tried to speak with a few people online about this and got spammed in return so I have nothing. Sorry this ended up so long but thanks for reading it and for your two cents. P.S. I have had my ears checked twice in the last 3 years and nothing shown up for tinnitus.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

#2 CuriousAngel81

CuriousAngel81

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:I love photography, reading a good book, nature, anything paranormal and music. An I love the challenge of trying to figure out my spiritual side and going through the process of find it. Lastly, I love to learn about very old mysteries, or on what you see on the national geographic channels.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

Icanhearyou,

Hello and welcome to GS. :)

Well, I  can't believe I am about to say this, but I have basically the same problem. Except the part of having a family open to the paranormal (only boyfriend is) and going to the doctors part. But knowing someone with tinnitus, I was ruled out (I know its not like going to a doctor). Mine comes and goes and it rarely stays for very long. I can say stop, and it starts to fade away. My boyfriend believe its my spirit guides talking. Either way, the ringing can hurt. Thankfully, they only last for a few seconds or minutes. lol.

-A
"Something tells me I am not alone!"-A

My Evps

#3 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

Hi, Welcome to GhostStudy. I can relate to what you experience because when a spirit is close my ears ring, plus I get tingling on my head. I know that is not uncommon however I have never heard of anyone hearing it for hours on end as spirits dont hang around that long. The fact it happens SO often in so many places I am not sure its paranormal.Ear ringing is often associated with age-related loss of hearing. Ear infections, head and neck injuries, dental and head surgeries, and disorders such as multiple sclerosis, thyroid disorder, vitamin B12 deficiency, and lyme disease are some of the causes of ringing in the ears.
So maybe get a physical before you believe its spirits..Good Luck
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#4 Sefer

Sefer

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

When yall say ringing, do you mean something along the lines of a loud white noise?   I've had that at random intervals in the past, but have never had any hearing problems or negative hearing tests.  Sometimes, its as though my hearing would suddenly become very very clear, and then the white noise would start for a few minutes, then go away.  It's also never been loud enough to be anything more than annoying.
"The frog at the bottom of the well knows nothing of the vast ocean"  -Japanese Proverb

#5 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Nope. No ringing in my ears but glad to see that others pay attention to what happens to them when ďsomething elseĒ is near. Presence of mind is something that can only happen when a person is continuously exposed to something that doesnít make any sense and they seek an explanation for what is going on around them. Lucky you.

The presence of ďsomething elseĒ influences people in different ways. Just because your ears are ringing doesnít mean that you donít have sympathizers here or that we donít know what you are talking about. Blue Angel gets a tingling which Iíve always called ďscalp creepĒ. lol Tingling sounds better. Lol

Hereís mine: if I canít see it, Iím drawn to it. We have to be in close proximity though Itís not a feeling either. My head knows something is present without having to think about it. Influences.

Oh, we do believe. Itís good that youíve gone to the doctor and Iím sure that he questioned your overall health while you were there. The doctor canít do anything but send you to someone else or the pharmacy.

It isnít necessary to do either. You seem to be taking it all in stride and that is A plus for you.

Welcome to the board, Icanhearyou.

#6 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I get ringing in my ears sometimes. Normally, I can do something like put a finger to block the canal for a moment and the ringing will go away after say 30 seconds.

I know what it is. When I was younger, my mother always used to say to me "Turn that walkman down, you'll go deaf" because I used to turn it all the way up whenever I listened to music.

Who knew she was right. I'm certainly paying for it now that I'm older since I now have a problem with my hearing.  It may get worse as I get older. I'm hoping not.

#7 Sefer

Sefer

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

totalia, on 04 October 2010 - 08:55 AM, said:

I get ringing in my ears sometimes. Normally, I can do something like put a finger to block the canal for a moment and the ringing will go away after say 30 seconds.

I know what it is. When I was younger, my mother always used to say to me "Turn that walkman down, you'll go deaf" because I used to turn it all the way up whenever I listened to music.

Who knew she was right. I'm certainly paying for it now that I'm older since I now have a problem with my hearing.  It may get worse as I get older. I'm hoping not.

This reminds me of a conversation my mom and I had a long time ago:

Me: Ma, everyone knows the best place at a show (concert) is right next to the speakers

Mom: What are you, stupid or something?
"The frog at the bottom of the well knows nothing of the vast ocean"  -Japanese Proverb

#8 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Sefer, on 04 October 2010 - 09:57 AM, said:

This reminds me of a conversation my mom and I had a long time ago:

Me: Ma, everyone knows the best place at a show (concert) is right next to the speakers

Mom: What are you, stupid or something?
rofl. Yeah. Apparently I was.

My husband actually has lost a real percentage of his hearing in his right ear due to standing near so many speakers at concerts when he was in his 20's. He doesn't even get a ringing, its just partially deaf.

My stepdad said once that its in your 30's when you start to notice how the world has changed and how many things your parents were right on. I'd say he hit the nail on the head with that one.

#9 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

I've had ringing in my ears, as someone mentioned, it sounds like white noise which suddenly comes on and stops just as quickly. For  me, it's caused by nasal problems and I often have to "pop" my ears to clear them.

There are SO many natural reasons apart from tinnitus that could be causing your symptoms, I wouldn't rush to the paranormal.
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#10 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Icanhearyou, on 03 October 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'm new here and this is my first post. I came specifically looking for other people who experience the ear ringing and thankfully I found some here. I've have paranormal experiences since I was about 12 or 13, but the ear ringing didn't start until about 3 years ago.

(Paranormal Event) Needless to say I was pretty freaked out by that and experienced a few other things in that bank but nothing like going to the 4th floor.

Since then, I have paid closer attention to the ringing in my ears. Especially when I'm at my parents house (the house I grew up in), because many of the experiences I've had were at that house. Then I would notice the ringing in other areas that I cleaned downtown, or at my second job in a call center. Then at the restaurant, the gas station, the movie theater and now my apartment. I don't fell scared, I just know that I'm not alone. Even now as I type this I hear the ringing and fell someone behind me are reading these words. Its not constant during the day or night, it comes on suddenly and it will fade away. Sometimes within a few minutes it will come and go but can last for hours (like this evening). I converse with them but I never hear anything. I've also read posts on this site about empathic readings? I can't remember if that's the name but it is something else I experience and have for a long time. I don't know if any of this means anything, if it means I'm sensitive or just crazy. My family has always believed in the paranormal but when I tell them about my experiences I feel like a nut job lol.

And this is my nut job theory, I think that when I can sense a presence, they know that I know they are there. And maybe that is why the ringing happens more often and for longer periods of time. In the last few weeks, there has been some touching. I've felt a hand on my arm and lips against my lips. And the other night it was like someone was poking me with their pointer finger.

So I was just hoping for some insight, I've tried to speak with a few people online about this and got spammed in return so I have nothing. Sorry this ended up so long but thanks for reading it and for your two cents. P.S. I have had my ears checked twice in the last 3 years and nothing shown up for tinnitus.

Hi, Icanhearyou.   I've taken liberties with your post such as removed the "Paranormal Event" but that was about it.   Now I'd like to address everyone else that posted who thinks this woman doesn't know what's going on with her:

1.  Icanhearyou has more experience than  most people who come to this board.   Take a read.

2.  When you are "sensitive" I fully believe that you have a "knowing" about you, I specialty if you'll forgive that expression.   Through your experiences, you learn about your specialty.  I'm not saying here that Icanhearyou shouldn't be concerned about her hearing because anything that lasts for hours worried me, unless you are in a "haunted site".   Then your "knowing goes to work for you".

3.  When you are sensitive and you darn well know it, the last thing you want to hear is that you have a problem with your "knowing".   The critics will give you that.

4.  And what is spamming?

There's my rant.

#11 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Menet, on 09 October 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

Hi, Icanhearyou.   I've taken liberties with your post such as removed the "Paranormal Event" but that was about it.   Now I'd like to address everyone else that posted who thinks this woman doesn't know what's going on with her:

1.  Icanhearyou has more experience than  most people who come to this board.   Take a read.

2.  When you are "sensitive" I fully believe that you have a "knowing" about you, I specialty if you'll forgive that expression.   Through your experiences, you learn about your specialty.  I'm not saying here that Icanhearyou shouldn't be concerned about her hearing because anything that lasts for hours worried me, unless you are in a "haunted site".   Then your "knowing goes to work for you".

3.  When you are sensitive and you darn well know it, the last thing you want to hear is that you have a problem with your "knowing".   The critics will give you that.

4.  And what is spamming?

There's my rant.
Hi Menet,

This was pretty rational and civil for a rant. ;)

To answer you question, "spamming" is when someone posts something that is undesirable, like advertisments or nonsense posts, or when someone posts the same thing in multiple places.  Generally speaking, when someone gets personally attacked in a forum, it is known as "flaming." I believe that may be what Icanhearyou is thinking of.

As to the topic at hand, People are going to have different opinions on what the true answer might be.  When someone posts in the forums, they are going to hear opinions from every viewpoint.  That is just the way it is. As long as people are civil and respectful of others, they are welcome to post here.

I personally believe that to be a very good thing.  No matter how much someone knows about a topic, it can be very useful to listen to & consider differing viewpoints.  Paranormal topics are especially subjective, so while many people are sure that they no how things work, it still boils down to personal opinion & bias at the end of the day.

In cases like this where there could concievably be a natural explanation for what is happening, it is prudent to eliminate such explanations first before moving onto the supernatural ones.  In that sense, I believe Icanhearyou has recieved sound advice from some of the other posters here.  Lets face it, the supernatural cannot be measured in any objective way. Given that fact, our only hope of actually confirming a paranormal event is by eliminating natural explanations.  It's a very tall order, but that is the state of things, unfortunately.

To Icanhearyou: First, welcome to the forum!  I hope you stay around and get to know us better.  I don't think your theory is a "nut job" one, as you say, and I don't see any evidence of others thinking so either. I hope that you have found the replies here to be helpful. Whatever the cause of your experiences is, I hope that you are able to come to terms with them and that you will keep us posted on your situation.

Regards to all, Canis

#12 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for explaining the difference to me, Canis.   I'm not up on the lingo but I am now.   If I stepped on anyone's toes here, I'm sorry for it.

I do believe in objectivity because without it you'd be seeing a spook in every corner.    :thanks:

I don't think that I've mentioned that I have a "thing" for objectivity oriented werewolves.   Just so you know.

Edited by Menet, 09 October 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#13 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

Menet, on 09 October 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

Thanks for explaining the difference to me, Canis.   I'm not up on the lingo but I am now.   If I stepped on anyone's toes here, I'm sorry for it.

I do believe in objectivity because without it you'd be seeing a spook in every corner.    :thanks:

You are most welcome, and I am sure that all toes are still pink & heathy! :)

Menet, on 09 October 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

I don't think that I've mentioned that I have a "thing" for objectivity oriented werewolves.   Just so you know.
Yowza! :)

#14 Icanhearyou

Icanhearyou

EVP

• GS Member
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mediums, Haunted Houses, EVP's, Ghosts, TV shows about ghosts. Not really all that interested when it comes to UFO's and Bigfoot.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

I wanted to thank everyone for their 2 cents, opinions and welcomes. I just wanted to say that this really isn't a conclusion that I jumped to and just ran with. And let me tell you why (I promise I'll try to make it short). About a month before I posted here, I was at an old downtown theater, just a few blocks from that bank I mentioned. Before the movie started I had to go to the bathroom. It's an old building, so the bathrooms were in the basement. The "lobby" in the basement was like a 50's style setting, then a door for the men and women bathrooms. As I walked down the stairs the ringing started and got louder as I got to the lobby. I sat down in the bathroom and as I did, there was about 5 people standing in front of me and they bent down to look at me just as I was sitting down. They were practically in my face. Now, keep in mind, I don't actually see them in front of me, its like I could see them in my mind. They were just looking at me, their mouths weren't moving, they didn't even blink, they just stared. Again, a little freaked out, I hurried back up the stairs and as I did, the ringing faded away.
That's when I started looking for answers about all of this. It's like things have progressed and I can't shut it off. Don't get me wrong, I can embrace it as well, but I feel like I have no control. This subject of spirits came up recently with a friend of mine that says he's a Wiccan priest (I say it that way because I know nothing Wiccan anything). I told him about these particular experiences and he told me I should get a sterling silver pinky ring for protection. I thought he was messing with me lol! Has anyone else heard about this?
Anyway, if this post came off as defensive, please don't take it that way, I don't intend it to be by any means.  :) I've been watching the posts, but I decided to post tonight. Thank you again, and I appreciate everyone for reading!  B)
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

#15 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hiya ICHY,

You definately do not come off as defensive about this.  ...or crazy...or anything bad. :)

You seem to be an intelligent and well spoken person that is trying to ome to terms with what I am sure are real and confusing experiences.  What ever the cause of these experiences is, I hope you can get it sorted.

I have never heard of the silver pinky ring thing.  :Picture 562:   Silver is often thought of as being a symbol of purity, with powers to ward off evil. Although that may not be the reason for your friend's device.  I have no idea why the silver would need to be on your pinky to be effective.  Maybe your friend just thinks pinky rings are cool? :)  Remeber that I am in no way knowledgable about Wiccan pratices.  These are just my own thoughts about it.

Please keep us posted on your situation.  I feel sure that your friends hear at GS would like to know how you are doing and help you out if possible.

Best wishes, Canis

#16 Icanhearyou

Icanhearyou

EVP

• GS Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

Hi Canis,

LOL Like I said, I thought this guy was messing with me lol. I don't know what the significance was about the pinky but he did use the words it will keep you safe. I'm gonna keep researching this and look into the Wiccan religion. Wish me luck!  B)

#17 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

It's good to see you here, Icanhearyou.   I know nothing about silver and very little about the Wiccan but I've never been hurt by a "haunting".   You've got a good head on your shoulders, you'll figure it out.

Be reading you.

Menet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users