Spanish Hauntings 3: Vallecas Case & History Of Spanish Culture(S)

SpanishHauntings

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phazoning

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hello!!

Here is the new story for this week.

Before I start with it, I want to tell you something which I should have told the last time, as it can help the reader to fit the haunting unto a proper cultural situation.

Spain, like many places in the world, the Iberian Peninsule was an unciviliced place. Its inhabitant were no more tan tribes, prior to the arrival and conquest by the Roman Empire. There were two kind of cutures there: the Iberians and the Celts. Some people add to this count the Tartessian, which were located in the mythical city of Tartessos (which is suspected to be the origin of the Atlantis myth), other consider the Tartessians to be the ancestors of Iberians and as such, are included into them.

I can't quite tell you much about the Celt culture, as in the States you have your fair share of Celtic origins, which usually come from the Irish or the Saxons (they weren't Celts, but they lived surrounded by them and their culture penetrated quickly into them, although their ideosyncrasy. They were one of the most dark cultures in Europe, only matched by the Vikings. They settled in Galicia, up in the northwest of the Peninsule.

I have to add to them the Celtiberians, which were thought to be a mix between the Iberians and Celts, but were later classified as Celts which adapted part of the Iberian culture. They settled where either Iberians of Celts didn't  do it.

On the South (from northern Andalusia downwards) and the coastal area of the East (included the whole Catalonian and Navarro-Aragonese territory) grew the Iberians, original settlers to the Peninsule. In case you ask, no, there were scarcely any conflicto between Celts and Iberian, as the Peninsule was plentiful on resources and Iberian had more tan what they needed. Also, this people are the most mysterious culture of the whole peninsule, as there are almost no written record on their lenguage (they didn't know how to write before the Phenicians and Greeks arrived and taught them how to in order to set trade treaties). We only know one of their gods (Batetvm) and very few of their customs. They were recognised as fierce warriors, and as such they were usually hired as mercenaries (they were even recognised as worthy oponents by the Spartans, who usually had to fight them). Still, they were as religious as fierce. About their rites we know very Little things. First, there was no priests, ony priestesses (which are usually represented on the Damas, such as "La Dama de Elche" which were statues in the shape of a priestess where some great warrior's ashes were stored after death) and their rites were somehow solemn, representing life on it's very aspect. A great remain of this rites are the Fallas in Valencia, at which even Young women (the "falleras") dress in a similar fashion to an Iberian priestess.

Without much delay, we must make a great jump to the middle ages. After those two cultures came the Carthaginian, and after them the Romans and so on.

In the Middle Ages the Peninsule was invaded twice. First by the Visigoths  and bit later by the Arabs (let's be honest, the Visigoths lords betrayed one another in order to seize as much territory as they could). Later, the Christians (at that time they had already renounced to Arrianism) were cornered at Asturias, where they were deemed as not dangerous by the Arab invaders and left in peace (this would later prove to be fatal, as they claimed again the whole Peninsule). Having failed the invasion on France (they fell at Poitiers) the Arabs settled at the Peninsule. along with them, they brought knowledge which was lost at thr Dark Age, such as a lot of Maths books, with new products like rice, oranges or lemons and a general improvement on agriculture. Along with them came a great boom on culture and phylosophy but that cane also with something unexpected. Traditions such ad Salomonic (Soliman for Arabs) tradition or Kabbalah penetrated into the culture and, as the Christian kingdoms advanced taking what was once theirs, that knowledge came into them, and later it was poured into the Middle Ages Europe. One of the results of this was the creation of the grimory known as "Lemegeton clavicula salomonis" which would be translated hella freely to "The lesser key of Salomon". In case you are wondering, yes, the old Hebrew king should have pushed a copyright lawsuit for unproper use of his signature but, oh well, I guess that's one of the many inconveniences of being dead.

We shall take a quick trip to the Modern Age. The christians split into three kingdoms,.Castilla, Aragón and León (from this one would split later Portugal). The Kingdom of Castilla incorporated the Kingdom of León and the Kingdom of Aragón, along with the Catalonian Counties (whose origins come from a region which served as an outpost for the Sacred Roman-Germanic Imperium against the Arabs which gained independanve from it), the Kingdom of Valencia (created as more coastal territory was claimed back) and the Kingdom of Navarra created what would be known as the Crown of Aragon. Much latter the Kigdom of Castilla and the Crownnlf Aragon were united by an incestuous marriage between Isabel of Castilla and Fernando of Aragón, but ni true political union came until the Borbonic era, where most of that was abolished.

The actual Spanish cultural panorama was settled by then, and it hasm't changed very much. In Iberian areas, those who had the Arabs on them are areas of a high spirituality. I have already talked about a part of this on another post, but I don't mind repeating myself. At Valencia occult stuff is common for everyone. A seance is something most people have done there one way or the other. At Andalusia, however, it's a bit different. They know about the occult, it's common stuff and so on, but they have a great respect for the decesaded, as they are part of their everyday lives and they walk along them. At areas where they weren't exposed long enough, they abide by the christian canons.

As for the areas where the Celts were present, we find two situations. At both of them the supernatural is quite near to a taboo, and as such is almost never brought into public. However, whathever you do at nightfall or in your home is no problem at all, as long as no one sees it. In Arab-exposed areas there is a great tendency to witchcraft, kabbalah,... At Arab-free areas, the original folklore has been preserved, usually mixed with the christian canons, such as the case of the place we talked the week before.

Ok, given the "small" lesson on Spanish History (we have like 2300 years of history and as such, what I wrote before is a short way-too-simplified fragment of it) let's start with what brings us today here.

The Vallecas Case happened at 1992 in a small town south from Madrid called Vallecas. This is one of the very few cases in Spanish hauntings which has witnesses from the State (two policemen). Estefanía Gutierrez was a girl on her teens which, after a boyfriend of hers died on a traffict acident, decided to dia seance through the Ouija board. May this story be used as knowledge for those who recklessly want to aproach it like someone who gets closer to a friend. When they reached a certain point at the seance, inside the glass her and her friends were using a black smoke started to form. Then the glass broke and the smoke went into Estafanía. The following weeks were something surreal. She'd start to growl out of nowhere, start swearing and harrassing the peoole around her. She'd even take animal stances when she was laying on her bed.

Once she went into a coma and, when she woke uo, she told her mother about a recurring vision she had, about tall pale figures around her bed who incoated her into going with them. She died shortly afterwards.

Still, that was just the very beginning of it, as strange sensations, voices and shadows started to conflux at her former house, for further desmay of her family. They even called the police, who were witnesses about what was going on there.

Currently, her family had moved away loooong ago. The flat has new inhabitants, and they haven'y reported a single thing until now.

That's it for now, I'll come with something else next week. Also, there is a video of the program from the first time about this, I'll try to put it as soon as I wake up (3:00 AM here)

Edited by Phazoning, 15 June 2018 - 05:02 PM.

#2 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for all your information :D
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

Wow thats some great information, thank you for sharing!!
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com