30 replies to this topic

#21 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

While I'm open to alternate universes and quantum physics explaining the "supernatural/paranormal/spiritual" I think the Mandela Effect is simply a product of psychology and people getting memories mixed up, scrambled or even fabricated.

The stuff about misheard Movie/TV quotes is due to pop-culture osmosis, everyone insisting that's what was actually said and people's memories being affected by that ('If tons of people think this, they can't be wrong, right? RIGHT?'). Often people will say "I remember saying hearing it", when, in fact, they're really remembering a spoof/homage of that show....Like the folks who got the "Stinkin' Badges" line from The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre wrong due to getting a joke line from both an episode of The Monkees and Blazing Saddles. People are actually remembering a paraphrase from a homage.

Likewise; Folks remember PERSONALLY hearing a children's radio show host saying something awful about kids when he thought the mic was off....when in fact, they likely heard a contrived dramatization from a record full of fake/hoax bloopers.... http://www.snopes.co...io/bastards.asp

Thus....
  • "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" becomes "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!!"
  • "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" becomes "We're gonna need a bigger boat!".
  • "No. I am your Father." becomes "Luke! I am your Father!".
There's tons of examples (Captain Kirk never said, 'Beam me/us up, Scotty' verbatim. Ricky Ricardo never said, 'You got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy!' verbatim. Joe Friday never said, 'Just the fact's Ma'am.'....) All of these things are entering "Mandela Effect" territory. It's weird but it's not mysterious. "Mandela Effect" is just a new-fangled term for "Remembering Stuff All Wrong". It's not a new concept.

When I was a tiny child, I initially had both Pope John Pauls mixed up. John Paul I died then John Paul II was elected, then survived an assassination attempt. I had a weird idea that they were the same guy who resurrected himself or that John Paul I looked like John Paul II or something.

It was soon cleared up....
"Isn't The Pope dead?"
"No. That was John Paul the First. THIS is John Paul the Second, and the Second survived getting shot."

OFF-TOPIC; I'm flattered that, according to the level-designation above my userpic, I'm a saucy sexy sex-demon lady! COOL!

Edited by SpukiKitty, 04 February 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I remember the movie.   I remember watching the movie.   I can clearly see Sinbad in costume and remember certain scenes.

I've never seen Captain Marvel anything (not read the comics,  not watched shows or movies or cartoons). I might be able to pick him out of a superhero lineup.

I remember the Berenstain Bears thing changing when I was about five.   They used to run it in Good Housekeeping and I remember noticing the difference in the name and going back through and checking and being confused and adamant that it wasn't spelled the same as it had been.

And for me Kirk Douglas died when he had the stroke in '99.  Mickey Rooney died around the same time Isaac Asimov did...  not long after Freddie Mercury instead of a couple years ago.   Wesley Snipes went to prison for life for murder instead of a couple years for tax evasion. ...

There are others but those are the ones that stick with me.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#23 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,973 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Someone actually created a Shazaam VHS box with Sinbad on the cover.  Here's more on the confusion and the fake box that's been circulating on the internet: http://www.snopes.co...-movie-shazaam/

Spuki is (IMO) correct about misremembered quotes, that are actually from spoofs and homages, not the original quote. It's kind of like the telephone game, the quote gets altered as it's passed along on media
Posted Image

#24 Snickers

Snickers

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

I think people dismiss this too much. I personally think something is very wrong. I read the Bible, a lot. The part that talks about putting new wine in old wineskins is what I always read in the Bible. It now says bottles, not wineskins, even in my very old Bible.  I KNOW it used to say wineskins, not bottles. If that is not what it said, then I am losing my mind...... I am reading the same Bible that I have always read, for the last thirty years or more.
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#25 Dazzled Dad

Dazzled Dad

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

View PostSnickers, on 05 January 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

I KNOW it used to say wineskins, not bottles

You're absolutely right: http://biblehub.com/mark/2-22.htm

#26 Snickers

Snickers

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostDazzled Dad, on 05 January 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

You're absolutely right: http://biblehub.com/mark/2-22.htm

Then I am not losing my mind.. thanks!  But I am confused as to why my King James version that is more than thirty years old, and I remember it clearly said wineskins, now has been changed to say bottles. And why do so many people have this memory glich? Can they all be wrong? Is my memory so flawed?

I have a lot of siblings, and sometimes we discuss an event from our childhood, and we all remember it differently, I understand this. But for the Bible to change is something different. The lion and the lamb have always been part of the Bible, but now the lion has changed to a wolf?  no way! In a new Bible maybe, but not the old one I have been reading....

So are people just going to dismiss this as nothing? A glitch in the memory of thousands of people? Sorry for sounding so freaked out, but I really am!
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#27 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

lol this thread

Vader's famous reveal to Luke and movie-goers was always "No. I am your father."
That's the line people heard in theaters, not "Luke, I am your father."
Vader's line is a perfectly natural response to Luke stating that Obi-Wan told him Vader killed his father...

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough... he told me you killed him.
Vader: No. I am your father.

"Luke, I am your father" is a misquote, but as a distillation of Vader and Luke's dialogue / the central plot twist, it's accurate and to the point (and so fundamentally rings true). That's why it's popular and makes sense to use; it's a way for people to 'quote' the famous reveal using a single line instead of having to quote several lines from two characters (in order to make it clear who's father we're talking about).

Edited by True North, 05 January 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#28 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

:yes:

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#29 True North

True North

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

View PostSnickers, on 05 January 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

... why do so many people have this memory glich? Can they all be wrong?...

Yes. Many people can perceive and remember something to be other than what is or was in front of them, and all share in a popular mistake.

Is my memory so flawed?

Well, something to think about is if your perception of something has been consistently inaccurate, you could say your inaccurate memory is accurate :)

... The lion and the lamb have always been part of the Bible, but now the lion has changed to a wolf?  no way!....

As there are several passages in the Bible where both lions and wolves appear in the same sentence (Isaiah 11:6, Isaiah 65:25, Jeremiah 5:6), it certainly wouldn't be inconceivable for you and other readers to get a line mixed up concerning these predators.

#30 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,973 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

I've read the pros and cons regarding the Mandela Effect in great depth at what some might call a conspiracy theory forum, and still don't buy it. I've remembered many things incorrectly, and found confirmation i was incorrect.

Some hints coming from the slow drip of UFO disclosure, and Skinwalker Ranch imply many levels of weirdness, so this COULD all be tied into that. But usually the obvious explanation in anything (faulty memory) is the correct one

Edited by Vlawde, 06 January 2018 - 10:04 AM.

Posted Image

#31 PhantomThief

PhantomThief

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Déjà vu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users