© Fisana

Ouija-boards

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_rickmiester_*

Guest_rickmiester_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:56 PM

i knew people that played with that . The next day we went to a field trip to the forest . the 2 kids and the nerd got lost. i went to look for them but i just found the nerds bloody glasses . then one year later they found there bodies . They were blue and the eyes were missing . the last thing we found was the bloody board  !

#22 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

OMG thats awful, sorry to hear that
Be Good!

#23 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(rickmiester @ Oct 25 2004, 07:56 PM)
i knew people that played with that . The next day we went to a field trip to the forest . the 2 kids and the nerd got lost. i went to look for them but i just found the nerds bloody glasses . then one year later they found there bodies . They were blue and the eyes were missing . the last thing we found was the bloody board  !
View Post

Why do I not quite believe this? Sounds to blair witch to me.

Edited by GIdotCOM, 25 October 2004 - 04:16 PM.

#24 Eleonore

Eleonore

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, art, books, decorating, dolls

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(GIdotCOM @ Oct 25 2004, 06:16 PM)
Why do I not quite believe this? Sounds to blair witch to me.
View Post

Agreed, the way he/she tells it is a clue.

#25 Corgi

Corgi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

GI:  I agree that many times people influence what is spelled out on the board.  But as I posted on the old board, I did have an experience where the board was moving without me touching it.
I don't think it is a reliable investigative tool...too many variables...but I do believe that it can be used as a communication tool. And it can leave the user vulnerable.
I guess the bottom line is, if used just as a toy, with no serious intent..it is just that: a toy.
If used with the purpose to seriously contact "spirits", one must be careful. You never know.
                           Ladona
IPB Image

Give me the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll... and drift away

http://www.virginiaghosts.com

#26 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, music, cars, astronomy, and well you if you're cute, heh heh.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(ladona4 @ Oct 25 2004, 08:58 PM)
GI:  I agree that many times people influence what is spelled out on the board.  But as I posted on the old board, I did have an experience where the board was moving without me touching it.
I don't think it is a reliable investigative tool...too many variables...but I do believe that it can be used as a communication tool. And it can leave the user vulnerable.
I guess the bottom line is, if used just as a toy, with no serious intent..it is just that: a toy.
If used with the purpose to seriously contact "spirits", one must be careful. You never know.
                           Ladona
View Post

You missed what I was saying though. I said it can be used as a focusing tool. But when the board moved by itself was this after you had already used it? Then it once again comes down to it not being the board but the user. You see what Im saying? Im not saying it cant be used with results, but I dont think it can be used by someone who doesnt have a natural ability to call ghosts.

#27 Corgi

Corgi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:13 PM

Okay, sorry.  I see what you are saying.  It did happen after I had been using the board. (alone)
I guess I am just overly sensitive to this subject since I had such a terrifying experience.  When I see one, or hear about someone "playing" with one, it just disturbs me.
IPB Image

Give me the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll... and drift away

http://www.virginiaghosts.com

#28 Guest_Mike68_*

Guest_Mike68_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:25 PM

rickmiester, I really have trouble believing that. Is it really true?

#29 Guest_Believer_*

Guest_Believer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(Samsara @ Oct 22 2004, 05:49 PM)
does anyone know where i can get a ouija board, besides the internet?
View Post

You can get one at any toy store in the boardgame section.

#30 Guest_Believer_*

Guest_Believer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:43 PM

I've used them by myself, and nothing strange has happened.

Now, I do have an "experience" from when I was a child...

rolleyes.gif

#31 Guest_Mike68_*

Guest_Mike68_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

Do tell, Believer  smile.gif

#32 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

I wish I could remember where I stuck the history of the quija board but whoisme I have lost it yet again.

#33 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:33 PM

Here is a good start

http://www.damnedgames.com/cf_ouijahistory.html

The first commercially available Ouija board was manufactured by the Kennard Novelty Company in Baltimore, MD. and bears the patent date of February 10 1891.
The following year William Fuld introduced what would become the proverbial 'grandaddy' of all Ouija and talking boards. His design is a near perfect copy of the Kennard board.
Luckily for Fuld, Mr. Kennard lost all his money and his former employee Fuld was right there to take up the reigns.

The Parker Brothers eventually bought the Ouija name and design from William Fuld in 1966. The current Ouija board is produced by Hasbro, who acquired Parker Brothers in the late 1990's. There were several precursors to the standard Ouija board prior to this time, including home made versions in the 1880's.
The main inspiration was drawn from a planchette available during the 19th Century. People used these devices for automatic writing. A planchette is a flat piece of wood, usually oval in shape, with a pencil or pen inserted in the middle. The wooden piece rested on rollers or casters, and was placed upon a sheet of paper. The user then asked a question, closed their eyes, and placed their writing hand on the planchette.
The 'spirits' would then guide the writer's hand and form words and information.

By the 1920's their popularity was so great that many large newspapers ran articles and regular columns dealing with the phenomena of Talking Boards.

Humans have always craved knowledge that is seemingly beyond their daily grasp.
This process, known as divination, has been used by all peoples since the beginning of time. Other examples include the casting of Runes, a scrying glass, throwing bones (dice), reading cards or simple meditation.

Ouija is the trademark name for the William Fuld/Parker Brothers board. The generic term for these divination devices is "talking board".
Since Ouija is the oldest known brand name, and has survived hundreds of other talking board companies, most folks erroneously refer to all of these boards as Ouija. It's kind of like calling all photocopies a Xerox, even though there are many other brands of copy machines.

Ouija and talking boards were extremely popular from 1900 through the 1950's. At one time virtually every home in America had a Ouija board.
Their popularity inspired Norman Rockwell to paint a Ouija cover for the May 1st 1920 edition of the Saturday Evening Post. There were also at least 2 popular songs written and released in the 1920's, including "Wee-Gee Wee-Gee Tell Me Do", a copy of which resides on my piano and is dated 1922.

There were literally hundreds of companies making these boards, from the fly-by-night St. Louis Plywoood Company to the venerable Drueke Games, who are still in business today. Drueke manufactured their first talking board in 1944 and named it the Mystic Soothsayer. The company continued to produce high quality chess, checkers and backgammon sets but discontinued the talking board after only a year or two.
In 2001 Drueke manufactured a limited run of these boards for a Halloween promotion. This is the only instance of a comapny re-introducing a talking board.

Note that the Mystic Soothsayer was released during the Second World War. Ouija boards have been very popular during times of war and seem to wane in times of peace. Many boards were produced during and immediately following the First World War, from 1918 through the early 1920's. Several companies even used the name Ouija on their boards. The Hasbro lawyers would not allow that to happen these days!
Some of the rarer and more artistically elaborate talking boards can fetch upwards of $350.00 at auctions, depending on their condition and scarcity. Many vintage boards are made of a pressed wood with an applied lithograph. Some of these boards are truly American works of art. Some are simply campy and fun and a few are very politically incorrect in our modern times.

Fast Forward to 1972:

The Exorcist is released in theaters and the Ouija board is portrayed as an agent of the devil. The popular 'game' suddenly took on a dark side and Ouija boards were thrown in the trash all over the world.
Stories of possession by demons and spirits, conjured up by teenagers with the Ouija board, proliferated. The Exorcist spawned a slew of films which portrayed the Ouija board in a bad light. Starting with the original Witchboard horror flick (which is lots of fun) up to What Lies Beneath with Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford.

As usual, Hollywood went with the horror film stereotypes. We were contacted by DreamWorks (along with 2 other Ouija aficionados of the web) for information on Ouija boards, since they were to play a integral part in What Lies Beneath.
When the movie was finally released the Ouija angle had been reduced to 3 minutes in a bathroom. Oh well. Better than no Ouija at all!

William Fuld claimed that he was not a spiritualist, but just a garden variety Presbyterian. He did admit that he consulted the Ouija to build his factory, although he stated that he never consulted the board again.

After purchasing the Ouija name and patent from William Fuld, the Parker Brothers moved their factory to Salem, Massachusetts. Perfect isn't it?
Alas, this was not based on sage advice from the Ouija board, but sage advice from the Parker's accountants.

Stories abound concerning the Ouija and other talking boards. From the woman who channelled an entire book from Mark Twain's ghost to the apocryphal teenage
"The Ouija board told me my friend would die next week and he DID..."

#34 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

not bad at all. Almost exactly the one I had. Thanks for posting it because I have no idea where mine is at right now.

#35 Guest_blacpanther21_*

Guest_blacpanther21_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:58 AM

I have been using Oija boards most of the time it usually just helps other people around me see in a sense what I see.  I only use my own board I have had it for over 2 years and have more control over opening and shutting doors as I call them to the people we want to talk to.  Totally not a Toy.

#36 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:At the moment my main interests are photography, ghost hunting, sight seeing, reading, and scrapbooking.

After emerging from my bout with a debilitating illness (Latin name Isuckus Muchhardus) relatively unscathed I've resumed haunting the boards.

Now mobile and armed with a camera and a taperecorder (among other tools) I'm up for investigating any ghostly happenings and haunted sights in the UK and Ireland.

Contact me at Darklighter_Solo@hotmail.com if you want to go on a ghost hunting jaunt.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:52 AM

I have to say, that in my opinion, the Ouija board IS a toy.
And that the board itself is not inherently dangerous.

QUOTE(Samsara @ Oct 22 2004, 11:10 PM)
i'd like to find an older one, but one from toys r us would do.
im visiting a haunted cemetary eventually, wondering if i should bring a ouija-board or just be happy with my camera
View Post

Don't bring a Ouija board to the cemetary. You're not likely to contact any spirits, but your own fear could cause you to focus your will in such a way that you could scare yourself a great deal.

QUOTE(GIdotCOM @ Oct 25 2004, 11:58 PM)
They dont open anything. Put it on the table and leave it alone see if it does anything without "YOUR" interaction. Its not the board. They were made as a way to more thoroughly scam ppl. They have evolved over the years but the point of the matter is that its the person and not the board. Besides 90% of the users who say they have had responses on a ouija board are moving it themselves sub-conciously and leading the discussion where they would want it to go.
View Post

I agree with this. This is what I've said forever. Nobody seems to listen when I say it however.
People move the pointer with their subconscious. It's a good tool for introspection, as it can help you get thoughts you wouldn't ever think of actively, out in the open.
Your fears and desires and such, however, can control the board to disastrous effect.
If you're afraid bad things will happen, you can cause the answers to appear demonic, and your fervent belief in this can even cause the psychokinetic effect of having haunting-like activities take place for a short period after using the board.
Usually getting rid of the board will satisfy your brain enough that the thing is gone. It's a vicious cycle.

However, good things can happen from it too.  People whose loved ones have died sometimes use the board to try to contact them.  And in these cases their strong wish to contact the dead can often cause them to answer their own questions in the way they hope that the dead will answer them. :-/

QUOTE(GIdotCOM @ Oct 26 2004, 12:17 AM)
Its not the board that caused anything. You could possibly say it could be used as a focusing tool but other than that...nada.
View Post

A focusing tool! Exactly what I've been saying all along!

QUOTE(rickmiester @ Oct 26 2004, 12:56 AM)
View Post

Um...this is rubbish. I don't believe you. Sorry, mate.

(And I question those that just believed this without question as well.)

QUOTE(ladona4 @ Oct 26 2004, 01:58 AM)
GI:  I agree that many times people influence what is spelled out on the board.  But as I posted on the old board, I did have an experience where the board was moving without me touching it.
                           Ladona
View Post

Ladona, as I mentioned, you using the board and your fear of it, or even the energy you left in the board, could cause it to move without a ghostly origin.
But you're right, it's not reliable.
It can be used as communication in some cases you say. I say not to trust the Ouija's answers unless you're asking it about yourself with the knowledge that you are controlling the board.
If you're looking to contact other spirits there's no way to know if you are controlling it or if a spirit is really controlling it.
And I think that 99% of the time, it's just the user controlling it.

Annnnd...I'm going to hunt around for a board. An old one hopefully. I'm going to go to Camden Town Market soon and see what I can dig up.

Edited by Darklighter, 26 October 2004 - 03:53 AM.

Posted Image
"And I, of ladies most dejected and wretched,
...O, woe is me
T'have seen what I have seen, see what I see."

#37 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:55 AM

Where I don't really believe that the Boards have any real power I do belive that they help the person or people to focus their energy in order to communicate with the other side. Anyway here is a nice little caroon to add a little humor to this thread. Some have seen it before.

IPB Image
Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?

#38 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:At the moment my main interests are photography, ghost hunting, sight seeing, reading, and scrapbooking.

After emerging from my bout with a debilitating illness (Latin name Isuckus Muchhardus) relatively unscathed I've resumed haunting the boards.

Now mobile and armed with a camera and a taperecorder (among other tools) I'm up for investigating any ghostly happenings and haunted sights in the UK and Ireland.

Contact me at Darklighter_Solo@hotmail.com if you want to go on a ghost hunting jaunt.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:25 AM

When I say focusing will, I don't mean for communicating with the other side, just for clarification. But I suppose that's one interpretation.

Posted Image
"And I, of ladies most dejected and wretched,
...O, woe is me
T'have seen what I have seen, see what I see."

#39 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

Besides 90% of the users who say they have had responses on a ouija board are moving it themselves sub-conciously and leading the discussion where they would want it to go.

I'm not so sure I agree with that...is there any kind of data to back up that up?

I remember one time when I was a girl, and my friends and I wanted to play with my ouija board.  We wanted to "test" it, to see if you really could get information from it.  Since there were three of us, I elected to sit out, and they were going to try to find out some sort of information that only I knew, using the board.  I challenged them to find out the license plate number of my family's truck.  I knew the number, but they didn't.  And I know for a fact that they didn't.  They asked for the number, and sure enough, the ouija board spelled out the license plate number of my stepdad's truck.  
I was not touching the planchette, only my two friends were.  And I also made it a point of trying not to think of the number, so that my thoughts wouldn't "influence" the reading in any way.  The board nailed the plate number, in perfect order, and when I told my friends, they were floored.
smile.gif

#40 Daemon

Daemon

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Dark Angel @ Oct 26 2004, 12:38 PM)
I'm not so sure I agree with that...is there any kind of data to back up that up?

I remember one time when I was a girl, and my friends and I wanted to play with my ouija board.  We wanted to "test" it, to see if you really could get information from it.  Since there were three of us, I elected to sit out, and they were going to try to find out some sort of information that only I knew, using the board.  I challenged them to find out the license plate number of my family's truck.  I knew the number, but they didn't.  And I know for a fact that they didn't.  They asked for the number, and sure enough, the ouija board spelled out the license plate number of my stepdad's truck. 
I was not touching the planchette, only my two friends were.  And I also made it a point of trying not to think of the number, so that my thoughts wouldn't "influence" the reading in any way.  The board nailed the plate number, in perfect order, and when I told my friends, they were floored.
smile.gif
View Post

You are taking me out of context too. If you go through and read everything Ive said you will see quite quickly that when I say 90% that it was an opinion but is a good one. Most of the people who use ouija boards are doing it for fun. No real though process involved. Late night party favor so to speak. You are also assuming that none of the girls new the number. Im not going to try and discount this Im just saying that there are hundreds of possibilities without jumping to the paranormal.

Point in fact. You remember everything you see. You may not be able to bring it up to the concious level but you do remember everything you have seen and have been told. This is why hypnotic therapy has the results it does. So is it possible that one or both of the girls have at one point or another looked upon that plate if only for an instant? Subconcious is a very good explanation for many of the "paranormal" happenings on ouija boards.